Maguire needs to be replaced

Abraxas

Ah, we've got to this point of the post mortem. Exaggerating the importance of an arm band.

Would it really have made much difference if Roy Keane had it round his arm or not? Would he have still been the same man on and off the pitch?

The dressing room is the sum of the individuals that comprise it. You can only lead a horse to water. I'm pretty sure Roy has said this himself and it's probably also why he's had such difficulty since - you do need some "good lads." Leaders lead no matter who has the official designation so if our team is passive or lacking it's because those are the characters we have, reshuffling won't change much.

Okey

Bruno is pretty much our on field leader. It's a delicate matter taking the arm band from a player mid season. I don't know what the dressing room dynamics are, but I'm pretty sure our current form has nothing to do with who wears the band. He wasn't there for the last few games before yesterday.

Okey

That said, he definitely isn't captain material. Should be looked at after this season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He is in this club 10 years. In those 10 years overall he was our best player. And then our coqch gives armband to two guys who literally just signed for club. I call that as injustice
Maguire getting it was wrong yes. That doesnt mean the player who was at risk of being sold/ not playing should have got it

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Ah, we've got to this point of the post mortem. Exaggerating the importance of an arm band.

Would it really have made much difference if Roy Keane had it round his arm or not? Would he have still been the same man on and off the pitch?

The dressing room is the sum of the individuals that comprise it. You can only lead a horse to water. I'm pretty sure Roy has said this himself and it's probably also why he's had such difficulty since - you do need some "good lads."

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude

The dressing room is the sum of the individuals that comprise it. You can only lead a horse to water. I'm pretty sure Roy has said this himself and it's probably also why he's had such difficulty since - you do need some "good lads." Leaders lead no matter who has the official designation so if our team is passive or lacking it's because those are the characters we have, reshuffling won't change much.
I agree it's largely symbolic however I'd still rather have a lion and sword on my flag while marching to war than a one of a cupcake with sprinkles if you catch my drift.

Judas

Open to offers
Of all the shit to worry about, who wears an arm band is probably near the very bottom. We are in a mess, no matter who leads the team out first in its current state.

RedDevilQuebecois

Has anyone in recent times been stripped of the captaincy (but still played) due to performance?
Sami Hyypia is a big one who comes to mind. The late Gerard Houllier gave the captaincy to a then-23-year-old Steven Gerrard in 2003 because Hyypia suffered a sustained lapse in form over the 2 years when he was the Liverpool captain.

If we were to follow that example, you would wonder if the captaincy should rather go with someone who represents the best out of Manchester and who is expected to do that for a long time. In that case, Marcus Rashford would be the man. Plenty of food for thought.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I would let Rashford further develop without having additional pressure of the captaincy.
This should really be the least of our issues.
I mostly don’t even remember in post Keane years under SAF who wore the armband when.

OrcaFat

I think he is a very decent captain when his own form and fitness is good. Many times he has driven the team on and actually been our most progressive player. In form he is inspirational.

But he does have spells where his form or fitness or both is off and his confidence takes a knock and from the outside, he doesn’t look like a captain. I still think he’s the best we’ve got.

Idxomer

Maguire needs to be sold. Instead, we'll award him with a new contract that would keep him at the club till retirement.

Jaxa

If you think Ole has the peanuts to strip Maguire of captaincy think again , I agree completely but he should never have been given the captaincy after what a few months ? Madness

Giggsy13

Please tell us what mistakes Maguire made last season in our last 4 league games when we conceded 8 of the 44 goals?
In the previous games before those last 4 games it took us 12 games to concede the same amount of goals and that was when we were actually playing agains better teams.
Last season the defence mostly did well apart from the first 3 league games when the whole team was unfit. It is the midfield which gets beaten too easily.
Oh I can play this game too! One clean sheet in the last 19 games. Conceding more goals than Liverpool last season when they lost both starting CBs, but yes mostly did well! :lol::lol:

Could it be, that the manager is the problem as well, since in your eyes Maguire can do no wrong, or are you still firmly riding that Ole in train!?

davidmichael

The days of a Keane or Robson being THE leader of the team and dragging the players and team through are long gone in football and there’s very few real leaders in that mould out there now, our last two club captains were Valencia and Young.

I don’t think Fernandes or Ronaldo or anyone else does a better job if they’re given the captaincy and too much emphasis is put on who’s club captain, Maguire is the second best centre back at the club and as an £80 million outlay is going to start every game regardless of whether he’s captain or not.

In Varane, Maguire, Shaw, Fernandes and Ronaldo we have a group of players that will start every game whether they are captain or not and are all seen (outside of Shaw) as team leaders and they should as a group build the team up whichever one is wearing the armband or not.

Giggsy13

44 goals which bar the season Jose was actively trying to get fired was the worst showing for 2 decades.

The blinkers truly are on with some when it comes to this guy. It’s always something, ‘his arrest’, ‘it’s lindelof’, ‘he needs a new partner’, ‘he needs to play himself into form’. The guy has had some of the most shambolic displays you’ll get from a CB.
No no no, we mostly did well last season, but not better than Liverpool who lost both starting CBs last season :lol:

Blinkers, delusion etc., it’s not a surprise that many who excuse Maguire’s shambolic displays are still backing Ole.

Todd

Maguire should have been taken off directly after the stunt he pulled on the first goal. Unacceptable.

united_99

Oh I can play this game too! One clean sheet in the last 19 games. Conceding more goals than Liverpool last season when they lost both starting CBs, but yes mostly did well! :lol::lol:

Could it be, that the manager is the problem as well, since in your eyes Maguire can do no wrong, or are you still firmly riding that Ole in train!?
This thread is about Maguire. Nice deflection tactic as usual.
If you are that interested in my opinion on Ole, you can read my posts in his threads.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Absolute knee jerk nonsense

Maguire was very good last season after a dodgy start (Greek tradegy etc) and grew massively into the captain role too

Was rock solid for England in the summer too

Should never have played yesterday but thats a different discussion
Agree that he's far from the main issue here, but it was not just yesterday. He has been poor this season and has been at fault for a few goals.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
But still a problem nonetheless and a problem that he’s our captain.
It's not an issue at all, will make no difference whatsoever.

As I'm sure I said the last time this thread was created, we'll be changing captain every other week if a poor display is enough to switch. Bruno in particular.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Agree that he's far from the main issue here, but it was not just yesterday. He has been poor this season and has been at fault for a few goals.
Yes he has - along with Shaw and Fred who also all went to the tournament final with their countries and had little time off in the summer

No coincidence as far as I'm concerned

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The armband's importance is overrated for me. If a player is good enough or enough of a leader, the armband doesn't need to be around his arm

Giggsy13

This thread is about Maguire. Nice deflection tactic as usual.
If you are that interested in my opinion on Ole, you can read my posts in his threads.
Yet you ignore the most damming statistic, we conceded more than Liverpool last season, BUT, we were pretty good according to you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Giggsy13

It's not an issue at all, will make no difference whatsoever.

As I'm sure I said the last time this thread was created, we'll be changing captain every other week if a poor display is enough to switch. Bruno in particular.
You’re correct in that a change a may not make a difference with the current manager in charge. It’s a deeper underlying issue and possibly a better manager could get the best out of Maguire more consistently.

united_99

Yet you ignore the most damming statistic, we conceded more than Liverpool last season, BUT, we were pretty good according to you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I couldn’t care less about what Liverpool did last season.
Also anyone who understands football knows defending is not just about the back four, but has a lot to do with the players in front of them.
But keep using smilies, maybe try 5 smilies next time to put across your point.

ExoduS

Maguire needs to be fired, not just stripped of being the captain. He is a liability. Huge liability. Never reached any sort of high level at Man Utd. Slow, stupid and unreliable.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
You’re correct in that a change a may not make a difference with the current manager in charge. It’s a deeper underlying issue and possibly a better manager could get the best out of Maguire more consistently.
Back to the manager, of course.

Abraxas

I agree it's largely symbolic however I'd still rather have a lion and sword on my flag while marching to war than a one of a cupcake with sprinkles if you catch my drift.
Of course, but its so far besides the point at the moment that it just feels like one of those clichéd points that gets made every time a team is poor. They lack leadership or personality or maybe the captain is a large part of the issue. The same has been said about Arsenal and Spurs for the last decade - is that the important issue or is it that they're not great sides?

I'd say if you are a poor football team then you tend to have poor results and then of course everything is called into question. It is going to look like everything is going tits up on the pitch if the technical side is falling flat on its face. Then what do you end up with? Players lacking confidence in themselves, the system, maybe even each other and the manifestation on the pitch is poor body language, maybe passivity or sulking depending on personalities.

We need to get the football right and then a lot of stuff tends to take care of itself.

Toblerone92

Give the captaincy to Varane. Multiple European champion, World Cup winner and consummate professional vs the overpriced slab from Sheffield. It’s a no brainer for me.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Of course, but its so far besides the point at the moment that it just feels like one of those clichéd points that gets made every time a team is poor. They lack leadership or personality or maybe the captain is a large part of the issue. The same has been said about Arsenal and Spurs for the last decade - is that the important issue or is it that they're not great sides?

I'd say if you are a poor football team then you tend to have poor results and then of course everything is called into question. It is going to look like everything is going tits up on the pitch if the technical side is falling flat on its face. Then what do you end up with? Players lacking confidence in themselves, the system, maybe even each other and the manifestation on the pitch is poor body language, maybe passivity or sulking depending on personalities.

We need to get the football right and then a lot of stuff tends to take care of itself.
Absolutely . You could march to war with panties on your banners but if you're the most prepared and able fighting squad you will be victorious. Maguire just annoys me a bit is all. ;)

Camilo

He's fine, not a problem. Shite coaching is why we're shite. It's not like Bruno is keeping his thoughts to himself because he's not captain.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
I think Bruno being captain makes the most sense.

People say the captain title doesn't really matter, in which case they should be more than OK if it's stripped from Maguire.

I do think Maguire will shrivel if he's stripped of the title. Doesn't seem to have the gumption. The dude was all peacock macho when he became captain. I don't know if he really understands how far he is from being at the top pantheon of PL defenders.

The English media circus and his PR team are keeping him in a small cocoon but I think he's realized it more and has essentially shut up after the initial peacocking.
Bruno has been below average this season just like Maguire. Having a captain that makes poor decisions and gives the ball away can really tear a team apart.

I have trust that Maguire will get back to his best. He was superb most of last season and at the Euros.

Lee565

Considering the absolute lack of pace and mobility, we would have been just as well off bringing an ageing world class defender in their 30's on the cheap than buying Maguire who is even a bit suspect on the ball as well and think lindelof is better than him on the ball, I look at thiago for chelsea and aside from age thiago looks the better defender and he cost nothing, I would have even took Evan's back over Maguire.

Giggsy13

I couldn’t care less about what Liverpool did last season.
Also anyone who understands football knows defending is not just about the back four, but has a lot to do with the players in front of them.
But keep using smilies, maybe try 5 smilies next time to put across your point.
Of course you don’t care about what Liverpool did last season because it completely undermines your point.

EDIT: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm confident that Maguire will stay captain whoever the manager is.
Unless the manager wants a fresh start.

To be fair, it would be hard justifying keeping Maguire who never deserved in the first place. We have a GOAT in the team, a club legend in De Gea, another CB who is twice the player, Bruno, the Manc Rashford, and even Pogba if he continues. Maguire is our second/third best CB and not in our top 5 players, he never captained anyone before coming here and somehow became captain in 6 months. Pretty weird, all things considered.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I’ve seen posts with all these ideas recently. New captains, better coaches, number 6’s, drop this player, start that player, change to 4-3-3 and the list goes on.

There probably should be a new captain, and a new system, and better coaches, but none of it will matter if the man in charge continues to be Ole. He is the head coach and he isn’t up to the job.

Let someone with real vision come in and make all those changes, rather than hope that Ole suddenly hits upon a magic combination that masks the fact that he can’t set up a fantastically talented football team to win games consistently, or even play good football.

Look at Liverpool, look at City, and now look at Chelsea too. There is one key difference and it’s time we stopped handicapping ourselves because we are hopeless romantics.

It’s not going to work and it’s time to start acting like a serious football club. All these other decisions will fall into place in the hands of someone who knows what they want to do and can really coach players at the highest level.