Maguire needs to be replaced

lsd

The Oracle
Oh get a grip, players are allowed to have lives outside of football.

The point is valid though. If that was a picture of Pogba he would be getting so much abuse whether in here or through the media

The Oracle

There was a stat I heard on the commentary yesterday in the Liverpool vs Arsenal game:

"Van Dijk has never lost in the league in 53 games at Anfield"

It just got me thinking about Maguire and the fee we paid for him.

RepardReece

The point is valid though. If that was a picture of Pogba he would be getting so much abuse whether in here or through the media
Yeah, the point from the tweet. Also pathetic (that Pogba would get abuse). I'm responding to the replies from people on this forum.

It's like people expect footballers to do nothing but train.

spiriticon

If Ole isn't allowed a holiday in the job, I don't see why Maguire should be allowed a night out... Fair is fair right?

Ixion

Players are obviously allowed to have lives outside football but jesus have some common sense, the captain that is supposed to lead by example in the middle of his worst form for us when the club are in freefall and HE has literally just cost us any chance at Watford AND we're only days 2 till our next game...I think he could have just settled for a night in.

Rashford gets shit from people for using his spare time to feed hungry kids. Pogba gets shit for just breathing. I think Maguire can take a bit of stick for burning the candle at both ends at the worst possible time.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Maguire is our best central defender however he's in a really poor place right now. I don't have the answer for how to get him back to form. Hopefully the new manager that comes in gets the best out of him again. I think most of his problems are between the ears right now so I don't think benching will help that. We'll see though...

RepardReece

Players are obviously allowed to have lives outside football but jesus have some common sense, the captain that is supposed to lead by example in the middle of his worst form for us when the club are in freefall and HE has literally just cost us any chance at Watford AND we're only days 2 till our next game...I think he could have just settled for a night in.

Rashford gets shit from people for using his spare time to feed hungry kids. Pogba gets shit for just breathing. I think Maguire can take a bit of stick for burning the candle at both ends at the worst possible time.
SO what, what he does outside of football is frankly none of your business. Christ imagine being told you're not allowed to head out with friends because you had a bad day in the office. He's not at work.

Opinions like this (bolded) are why players like Pogba get so much shit for no reason

dablem_10

Maguire is our best central defender however he's in a really poor place right now. I don't have the answer for how to get him back to form. Hopefully the new manager that comes in gets the best out of him again. I think most of his problems are between the ears right now so I don't think benching will help that. We'll see though...
in what universe maguire is better than varane? or you ment available ones?

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Highly ironic that you and others are posting this tweet/pic as an unassailable item of proof that double standards exist when it comes to footballers when said double standards are being dispelled by the very fact that this tweet exists and is garnering such outrage as a result. Couldn’t make it up.

Ixion

SO what, what he does outside of football is frankly none of your business. Christ imagine being told you're not allowed to head out with friends because you had a bad day in the office. He's not at work.

Opinions like this (bolded) are why players like Pogba get so much shit for no reason
No sorry. When your job is being an athlete where rest, recovery, what you eat and drink etc are all very important it is not the same as some random having a bad day at the office then going out to the pub after. You'd think when we have someone like Ronaldo here at 37 setting an example people would realise how important it is to be professional and make sacrifices.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
in what universe maguire is better than varane? or you ment available ones?
In a universe where Varane hasn't played enough in our shirt to prove himself yet. I don't count what he did in a Real Madrid shirt. Prove it in a United shirt and then he will likely be our best central defender...

youmeletsfly

Let's make something very clear, I do not like Maguire, he's a waste of 80 fecking million. But, to the people calling him out because he partied, get a fecking life weirdos and leave the fecking office chairs.

Would it be okay for people on the street/forums/whatever to rage at you when you failed a project at work? Stop being so no-lifers.

Can7onA

Call him out because he's been dog shit, not because he went out for a family doo.

RepardReece

No sorry. When your job is being an athlete where rest, recovery, what you eat and drink etc are all very important it is not the same as some random having a bad day at the office then going out to the pub after. You'd think when we have someone like Ronaldo here at 37 setting an example people would realise how important it is to be professional and make sacrifices.
Not everyone is Ronaldo. When have you seen anyone train and work as hard as Ronaldo? His life is football and he has always aimed to be the best.

He's allowed to have fun and enjoy himself regardless of what's going on with his job. Calling him out for going out is quite pathetic and really really sad.

Ixion

Not everyone is Ronaldo. When have you seen anyone train and work as hard as Ronaldo? His life is football and he has always aimed to be the best.

He's allowed to have fun and enjoy himself regardless of what's going on with his job. Calling him out for going out is quite pathetic and really really sad.

Sorry not listening to your claptrap.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
According to Gaz, Maguire is an emerging captain.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He is 29 in a few months.

He isn't going to ever be at the required standard. Time to cut out losses.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

Really good for you that he is receiving stick then isn’t it? I don’t see the complaint?

I would venture that none of them should be getting stick for having lives outside of football.

Ixion

Sad, People like you need to take a look in the mirror and stop commenting out people and their personal lives, so outside of work.
You know what, in my office if some pillock made a mistake and cost the rest of the team their hardwork then told everyone they were clocking out and off to the pub, came in the next morning with a hangover, they'd get shit and people in the office would hate it. It really isn't as unusual as you're trying to paint it.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He is 29 in a few months.

He isn't going to ever be at the required standard. Time to cut out losses.
On form he's one of the best defenders in the world. I think his biggest problem is he listens to people like you too much. He needs to either ignore the fans or the fans need to get behind him. Being against him isn't helping the club. Pick him up when he's down and we will see a great player again...

Offsideagain

The media forced United into buying Maguire because Woodward is clueless about football and follows the pundits. Same with Sanchez, Memphis, DiMaria and Falcao. Maguire did well at Leicester but is never a top top player like Varane or Van Dyke. Too slow and not mentally strong enough. We have struggled for CB’s since the Rio and Vidic days. Oh how we would love another Vidic. Perhaps we should ask SKY who to buy?

RepardReece

You know what, in my office if some pillock made a mistake and cost the rest of the team their hardwork then told everyone they were clocking out and off to the pub, came in the next morning with a hangover, they'd get shit and people in the office would hate it. It really isn't as unusual as you're trying to paint it.
Sounds like a terrible work culture

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
On form he's one of the best defenders in the world. I think his biggest problem is he listens to people like you too much. He needs to either ignore the fans or the fans need to get behind him. Being against him isn't helping the club. Pick him up when he's down and we will see a great player again...
Thats just not even remotely true.

Giggsy13

I think it’s fair to discuss and consider Maguire one of our worst transfer deals in history. Record fee for performances like the one yesterday that are all too common for him. When you consider the alternatives available at the time like Reuben Dias, we were absolutely fleeced by Leicester. If we put him on the market now, we wouldn’t even recover half the fee. Our only hope is the Saudis possibly over paying for him, which we should consider in a heartbeat. Then go out and sign Kounde to partner Varane.

sp_107

Getting a red card in an important match, Throwing captaincy arm band and finally going to a night club just after the match, He should never be our captain again

passing-wind

There was a stat I heard on the commentary yesterday in the Liverpool vs Arsenal game:

"Van Dijk has never lost in the league in 53 games at Anfield"

It just got me thinking about Maguire and the fee we paid for him.
Maguire can't get close to VVD and never will. It's like comparing Phil Jones with Vidic or Rio. Even in form the comments from so many on here was absolutely ridiculous. Maguire is a decent defender but personally I preferred Smalling. Yes he was terrible on the ball but there are elements in Maguire's game that make him a terrible defender.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Oh get a grip, players are allowed to have lives outside of football.
They do, but just barely, because there is actually a lot they need to abide with, even officially. Also, how they live those lives off the pitch is very telling. And if you think off the pitch behavior is not managed at top clubs, or if Fergie didn't pay attention to these, you clearly are lying to yourself

Hammondo

He hasn't proven to be in our top 2 CBs.

Kaos

In a universe where Varane hasn't played enough in our shirt to prove himself yet. I don't count what he did in a Real Madrid shirt. Prove it in a United shirt and then he will likely be our best central defender...
I'm sorry but this is nonsense. Even with the few games he's had under his belt, you could tell Varane is miles head of Maguire and its not even close. Its no coincidence that we've only lost one of the 8 games he's started this season, contrast to Maguire who's pretty much been responsible for at least one opposition goal every game. We should be debating whether Maguire is a better option than Lindelof or Baily, he's not on Varane's level and will never be.

matt23

I think Maguire and his family have made it pretty clear of late that he doesn't give a shit about the club or it's supporters - keep him out of any criticism and he wouldn't give a toss if he captained us into the Championship.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm sorry but this is nonsense. Even with the few games he's had under his belt, you could tell Varane is miles head of Maguire and its not even close. Its no coincidence that we've only lost one of the 8 games he's started this season, contrast to Maguire who's pretty much been responsible for at least one opposition goal every game. We should be debating whether Maguire is a better option than Lindelof or Baily, he's not on Varane's level and will never be.
He's behind all of them right now, easily.

Hammondo

Sounds like a terrible work culture
Hes right, it's part of being professional. If you are doing an important job where others depend on you and take their job seriously, then you will make your employer and fellow employees angry if you are performing poorly because of partying.