Maguire needs to be replaced

Hammondo

Not if you have an agenda against him and only look for the bad. However, if you actually judge him without bias, on form he is in FACT one of the best in the world. This isn't an opinion. It's a fact.
Not even close.

Kag

He’s in terrible form, but he’s also much better than he’s currently playing.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he were to give up the captaincy, though. If anything it might help him.

RepardReece

Hes right, it's part of being professional. If you are doing an important job where others depend on you and take their job seriously, then you will make your employer and fellow employees angry if you are performing poorly because of partying.
Yeah if it's BECAUSE of partying and whatever you're doing outside of work, but that's clearly not Maguires issue is it and you're absolutely delusional if you think him going out last night causes his bad performances.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Not if you have an agenda against him and only look for the bad. However, if you actually judge him without bias, on form he is in FACT one of the best in the world. This isn't an opinion. It's a fact.
De Vrij is literally better in every single area, except in the air. More composed, better decision making on the ball, better touch, less prone to stinkers, better positioning etc...

Now when I think of "best CBs in the world" I don't think of De Vrij. Maybe he makes my top 10. Maybe (probably not though, I like Skriniar so he might not even be the best CB at Inter)

Harry isn't even close.

Inter's game starts at 18:00. Go watch some football outside of United please.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I'm sorry but this is nonsense. Even with the few games he's had under his belt, you could tell Varane is miles head of Maguire and its not even close. Its no coincidence that we've only lost one of the 8 games he's started this season, contrast to Maguire who's pretty much been responsible for at least one opposition goal every game. We should be debating whether Maguire is a better option than Lindelof or Baily, he's not on Varane's level and will never be.
As I stated, Verane may very well be our best defender, but he hasn't proven it yet. He needs to be fit

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So many agenda's in this club. You lot would rather be right than support a player. You made up your mind about Maguire the second we paid too much for him and have been quiet when he's been playing great. You just sat there with a frown on your face because the player you have an agenda against was doing great. But now that he's in a bad run of form you'[re happy again. You lot disgust me. Support the player. It's all about the club, not your agenda

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
I see he’s doing everything he can to get the captaincy stripped off. And I dont blame him, it was a terrible choice from the beginning.
probably the worst captain in United history.

I can see why he’s captaincy in England NT is working better though.

Fluctuation0161

Yeah, the point from the tweet. Also pathetic (that Pogba would get abuse). I'm responding to the replies from people on this forum.

It's like people expect footballers to do nothing but train.
I expect them not to go abroad during a global pandemic and get arrested. I also expect them to not go out on the lash after 5 defeats in 7 and a red card ensuring his team lost the game that day.

Is that too much to ask?

Kaos

As I stated, Verane may very well be our best defender, but he hasn't proven it yet. He needs to be fit
But he has - he's been very good overall for the few games he's played with us and we've looked a lot more solid defensively with his presence. I'm not entirely sure what else he needs to prove?

RepardReece

I expect them not to go abroad during a global pandemic and get arrested. I also expect them to not go out on the lash after 5 defeats in 7 and a red card ensuring his team lost the game that day.

Is that too much to ask?
Don't think he cares what you expect of him not going to lie.

The first point is valid (arrested and going out in the pandemic) but he's totally entitled to going out with mates in his own spare time. He's not meant to be training at 10pm on a Saturday night is he

Who are you to tell him what he can and can't do

Fluctuation0161

Don't think he cares what you expect of him not going to lie.

The first point is valid (arrested and going out in the pandemic) but he's totally entitled to going out with mates in his own spare time. He's not meant to be training at 10pm on a Saturday night is he

Who are you to tell him what he can and can't do
I was responding to your point that "people can't expect him not to have a life". I am a person after all...

I'm not trying to talk directly to Maguire (why you would think that is strange). But his lack of professionalism is concerning. He has a game in 2 days FFS.

I'm sure the next manager will tackle it.

RepardReece

I was responding to your point that "people can't expect him not to have a life". I am a person after all...

I'm not trying to talk directly to Maguire (why you would think that is strange). But his lack of professionalism is concerning. He has a game in 2 days FFS.

I'm sure the next manager will tackle it.
Football through a season has 1-2 games every week. Do you expect every player to do feck all else all season but recover?

Stupid agenda.

Edit: also mentioned how you're not talking directly to Maguire, well sure, but your examples are literally what he's done so pointing that out is really useless

Stadjer

A fact? Does he all of a sudden get quick and able to turn around when he is on form?

He is decent on form but he is too clumsy and slow to ever be one of the best.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
On form he's one of the best defenders in the world. I think his biggest problem is he listens to people like you too much. He needs to either ignore the fans or the fans need to get behind him. Being against him isn't helping the club. Pick him up when he's down and we will see a great player again...
His form lasts about 30 minutes in a season then or otherwise this is completely false.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Maguire is in woeful form and I do believe relieving him of the captaincy would be a good thing overall however ripping him for going out is a bit pathetic.
He has a game in 3 days but I would bet anyone he was not drinking. Some people are just looking for any excuse now to beat up our players.
I was never his biggest fan but realised how much we missed him at the end of last season. I think a new manager will bring him up a number of levels.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
On form he's one of the best defenders in the world. I think his biggest problem is he listens to people like you too much. He needs to either ignore the fans or the fans need to get behind him. Being against him isn't helping the club. Pick him up when he's down and we will see a great player again...
:lol: :lol: it's absolutely an opinion and NOT a fact, and an opinion shared by almost nobody who's surname isn't Maguire.

Suedesi

If Ole isn't allowed a holiday in the job, I don't see why Maguire should be allowed a night out... Fair is fair right?
Oh, how the standards have fallen.

“Coach Ferguson, he knew when to act, when for example to put pressure on the discipline,” said Robin Van Persie. “In my first season, we were 15 points ahead in the league, and we welcomed Manchester City to win the title [in April 2013]. If we won this match, it was 18 points ahead, but we had lost. This still left us 12 points ahead. “Most managers would not have dramatised the situation. The boss on the other hand, he went up in the towers. It was really ‘hot’.

“Two guys from the team were out after this loss. The day after the match, he had pictures of the two players posted on the dressing room walls from their night out. He said to the whole team: ‘Okay guys, if we don’t win the championship, know that it’s because of those two assholes that chose to go out’. “I have the names,” he smiles, “but I really can’t give them. They got it rotten from the coach, but it stayed in the locker room.

“It was incredible, he had pasted lots of photos, pictures of the two players hour by hour: 2 am, 3 am, 4 am, as if to emphasise the extent of their bullshit. He didn’t stop there, he warned us all: ‘Guys, listen well, if we don’t win the championship, it’s because these two decided to go out and have fun. From now on, if I see a player come out before the trophy is lifted, that player is out’.

He was ruthless: ‘I don’t care about who you are, how many trophies you’ve won so far – if you go out before the end of the season, you leave the team and I will have you transferred’. After that speech, we went to train, and it was the two hardest workouts of my life.”

https://thefootballfaithful.com/van-persie-sir-alex-ferguson-rant-2013-manchester-derby/

Fück Harry Maguire, the mediocre meathead and blame needs to go Ole for instilling some discipline into the squad

Gazautd18

Just saw that Vincent Kompany goal vs Leicester an noticed who the defender facing him up was.
Hint* He evades the shot and costs 80 million...

Last edited:

ExoduS

This guy and Pogba have more to be blamed for than Ole. Stunning failure from both but Maguire definitely failed harder.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
When the stats back it up it's a fact
No, it isnt. He has been utterly shit this season, he is absolutely not, in any way shape or form one of the best defenders in the world, he has way too many deficiencies for that to be the case.

Devil may care

He’s in terrible form, but he’s also much better than he’s currently playing.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he were to give up the captaincy, though. If anything it might help him.
Giving up the captaincy would definitely help him in the long run, right now he looks permanently constipated with the pressure and it's effecting the basics of his game, I mean he was never a world class CB and we massively overpaid, he shouldn't be an automatic starter either but he's a solid CB when in form.

Stadjer

Oh the "slow" argument. FFS. You have obviously never played
Yes, i was too slow to play at a high level... Fantastic argument btw, by that logic i bet you follow a former pro footballer player his opinion since they did play? They must know best right? Thats why the best players become the best coaches and managers...

Reports about the 'Manchester City All of Nothing' Amazon show say that Pep literally called Maguire 'not fast' and told De Bruyne to exploit that. Maguire didnt get any faster since his Leicester days. What does Pep know anyway right, has he even played? It is a known weakness of Harry Maguire. He is a slow footballer, on top speed he might not be slow but his turning and getting to top speed is very slow. You can try to say that he isnt but we all watched him play and have seen it being a problem for him often.

And yes i do think that a lack of speed (slow), a lack of mobility (slow) and a total lack of acceleration (slow) can be somewhat compensated by having fantastic positioning but Maguire doesnt have that either. Maguire can be good when he is allowed to play close to his own goal and use his head to smash away everything that is coming towards him or when he can have physical duels with attackers. But Maguire being one of the best central defenders in the world? I think he has too many shortcomings for that. Decent to good premier league defender yes, one of the best defenders in the world? Dont think so.

ariveded

He is just the player version of Moyes. Ditto case

He probably is genuine good person and loves the club, yet simply not good enough for a top-team. He wildly celebrates trivial goals, yet makes silly mistakes. Big question makes for his leadership appeal and command. Like Moyes, he might eventually be a good defender for an average side?

pre Munich Red

There is a total absence of character or leadership material in this squad.
Maguire, with his ‘weasel words’ about OGS today, is symptomatic of the malaise.
Add in Shaw, WSB, Pogba, Martial, Fred, Dalot, Lindelof, Greenwood, Matic…..sack the lot of them.
And now Carrick in charge along with Phelan, McKenna and you have Villa Real, Chelsea and Arsenal to come!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Yes, i was too slow to play at a high level... Fantastic argument btw, by that logic i bet you follow a former pro footballer player his opinion since they did play? They must know best right? Thats why the best players become the best coaches and managers...

Reports about the 'Manchester City All of Nothing' Amazon show say that Pep literally called Maguire 'not fast' and told De Bruyne to exploit that. Maguire didnt get any faster since his Leicester days. What does Pep know anyway right, has he even played? It is a known weakness of Harry Maguire. He is a slow footballer, on top speed he might not be slow but his turning and getting to top speed is very slow. You can try to say that he isnt but we all watched him play and have seen it being a problem for him often.

And yes i do think that a lack of speed (slow), a lack of mobility (slow) and a total lack of acceleration (slow) can be somewhat compensated by having fantastic positioning but Maguire doesnt have that either. Maguire can be good when he is allowed to play close to his own goal and use his head to smash away everything that is coming towards him or when he can have physical duels with attackers. But Maguire being one of the best central defenders in the world? I think he has too many shortcomings for that. Decent to good premier league defender yes, one of the best defenders in the world? Dont think so.
I'm going to type a whole bunch of crap because the longer the argument, the better point I'm making. Blah, blah, blah, blah....sigh

Tell me how many times Maguires speed (or lack there of) has cost us. I will save you the trouble. It hasn't. Stop spouting off whatever crap Goldbridge says and think for yourself. Maguire is in bad form right now. No doubt. But the majority of central defender are big and slow. This "he's too slow" is an argument someone who hasn't played makes. At central defence it's more about power and positioning than speed. Speed is for fullbacks. If you ever played you would know this...

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
A fact? Does he all of a sudden get quick and able to turn around when he is on form?

I posted this and a few other clips in his transfer thread before he signed

Sorry but a 80 mil CB can't be exposed like that by an ordinary player

Lost bear

I think Varane has already done enough to prove it, though his performances have been limited due to injury. Clearly in a different class form Maguire.

captain666

I see he’s doing everything he can to get the captaincy stripped off. And I dont blame him, it was a terrible choice from the beginning.
probably the worst captain in United history.

I can see why he’s captaincy in England NT is working better though.
Luckily he doesn't wear the armband for England!

croadyman

Who do we think will get the captaincy if Pochettino does end up being appointed

RooneyLegend

“Coach Ferguson, he knew when to act, when for example to put pressure on the discipline,” said Robin Van Persie. “In my first season, we were 15 points ahead in the league, and we welcomed Manchester City to win the title [in April 2013]. If we won this match, it was 18 points ahead, but we had lost. This still left us 12 points ahead. “Most managers would not have dramatised the situation. The boss on the other hand, he went up in the towers. It was really ‘hot’.

“Two guys from the team were out after this loss. The day after the match, he had pictures of the two players posted on the dressing room walls from their night out. He said to the whole team: ‘Okay guys, if we don’t win the championship, know that it’s because of those two assholes that chose to go out’. “I have the names,” he smiles, “but I really can’t give them. They got it rotten from the coach, but it stayed in the locker room.

“It was incredible, he had pasted lots of photos, pictures of the two players hour by hour: 2 am, 3 am, 4 am, as if to emphasise the extent of their bullshit. He didn’t stop there, he warned us all: ‘Guys, listen well, if we don’t win the championship, it’s because these two decided to go out and have fun. From now on, if I see a player come out before the trophy is lifted, that player is out’.

He was ruthless: ‘I don’t care about who you are, how many trophies you’ve won so far – if you go out before the end of the season, you leave the team and I will have you transferred’. After that speech, we went to train, and it was the two hardest workouts of my life.”

https://thefootballfaithful.com/van-persie-sir-alex-ferguson-rant-2013-manchester-derby/

Fück Harry Maguire, the mediocre meathead and blame needs to go Ole for instilling some discipline into the squad
Keane used to go out after every match we played when he was here so I guess things were never that strict as much as Sir Alex tried to make it so.

Micky Targaryen

Love this.

Standards have really gone down the toilet especially during the Ole cult era.

lawliet354

Too slow, lack of concentration, very easy to be beaten 1 by 1, bad positioning, lack of composure, cannot organize defence. Basically every thing a center back needs, he doesn't have it, apart from being big