Maguire needs to be replaced

stevoc

Rafa's missing a trick here, he could be making a fortune signing all these amateurs on agents contracts and then flogging them to stupid PL clubs and getting a fat commission.

Unless he's talking absolute nonsense of course.

stevoc

Can’t understand why he played yesterday against Villarreal when he is suspended for the next few PL games. Surely Carrick should have used the opportunity to bring in Bailly and give him the game time instead. Unless he (Carrick) is counting on a miracle that Varane will be back for Chelsea and play him instead. Either way we will be stuck with a player that is not match fit against Chelsea. Poor planning indeed.
Carrick probably rightly thought that the less game time Eric has the better.

Pronewbie

Peep
On recent form, VDV isn't that far away from the truth. Maguire has shown that he's much better than this though. I just wish he was managed better and our defensive coaching wasn't so shite especially this season.

stevoc

On recent form, VDV isn't that far away from the truth. Maguire has shown that he's much better than this though. I just wish he was managed better and our defensive coaching wasn't so shite especially this season.
Yeah but only a moron rates a players ability based solely on recent form. And only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Morons would spout such nonsense publicly in the media.

shinpad

Not only should he be dropped for bad form , his gesture in the England game was totally disrespectful to the fans and clearly thinks he has nothing to answer for, i think he should play in the reserves for a while. He's also no captain.

stevoc

Harsh to call so many posters in this thread morons.
Well I don't know that I am, some people for whatever reason have never rated him which is fair enough I suppose. But if someone thinks he's suddenly a poor player based on this season's form alone they yeah.

Pronewbie

Peep
Well I don't know that I am, some people for whatever reason have never rated him which is fair enough I suppose. But if someone thinks he's suddenly a poor player based on this season's form alone they yeah.
I'm with you on that.. I have given up on the likes of Martial but I still have confidence that Maguire will come good. He's got the technique and mental strength to come back better (hopefully).

While I do understand the 80M-related vitriol, I'm not going to blame him for the club overpaying.

Firstouch20

Rafa's missing a trick here, he could be making a fortune signing all these amateurs on agents contracts and then flogging them to stupid PL clubs and getting a fat commission.

In countries like the Netherlands who value technical quality and footballing IQ even in their defenders, a player like Maguire would most likely never have been scouted to begin with by the top flight clubs in their country.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
In countries like the Netherlands who value technical quality and footballing IQ even in their defenders, a player like Maguire would most likely never have been scouted to begin with by the top flight clubs in their country.
Yeah, Netherlands is full of top IQ and technical players :lol:

Firstouch20

Historically they have been stacked with those types of players and overachieved in their production of elite level players in relation to how tiny their population is . They're going through a bit of a transitional period since their last golden age but they still have some extremely gifted footballers in their ranks especially in midfield and defense. Maguire wouldn't get ahead of Van Dijk, De Ligt or de vrij in their defense. Even someone like Blind would be a preferable option over Maguire in the CB position.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Rafa took it to extremes however many Italian pundits and Serie A fans see this signing as strange. Football is shifting to a high press/high line defense. Someone with zero pace like Maguire should be struggling to make it at a top club let alone becoming the most expensive defender in the world

Even Bonucci had a pop at him

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Historically they have been stacked with those types of players and overachieved in their production of elite level players in relation to how tiny their population is . They're going through a bit of a transitional period since their last golden age but they still have some extremely gifted footballers in their ranks especially in midfield and defense. Muguire wouldn't get ahead of Van Dijk, De Ligt or de vrij in their defense. Even someone like Blind would be a preferable option over Muguire in the CB position.
Ofcourse Maguire wouldn't get ahead of Van dijk and other 2 players, they are very good CBs. That doesn't mean Maguire wouldn't be scouted by any big club. Maguire would start for every club in Dutch league, so why wouldn't he be scouted by their top flight clubs?

Only reason they won't sign him is because they can't afford him.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Yeah but only a moron rates a players ability based solely on recent form. And only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Morons would spout such nonsense publicly in the media.
Literally every Dutch pundit has been calling Maguire out for being shite ever since we signed him. How recent is this:

He's not wrong when Ajax passed on the opportunity to sign VVD. Stam also wasn't rated domestically.
VDV is a serial loser/luxury player that never knew how to defend. His criticism of Maguire makes more sense when you understands he puts more emphasis on his ability on the ball than others would normally.

Historically they have been stacked with those types of players and overachieved in their production of elite level players in relation to how tiny their population is . They're going through a bit of a transitional period since their last golden age but they still have some extremely gifted footballers in their ranks especially in midfield and defense. Muguire wouldn't get ahead of Van Dijk, De Ligt or de vrij in their defense. Even someone like Blind would be a preferable option over Muguire in the CB position.
You can include Timber in that as well. I'm on the fence if Harry is even better than Ake. I think in a high lane that midget is preferable because of his athleticism.

Ofcourse Maguire wouldn't get ahead of Van dijk and other 2 players, they are very good CBs. That doesn't mean Maguire wouldn't be scouted by any big club. Maguire would start for every club in Dutch league, so why wouldn't he be scouted by their top flight clubs?

Timber, Bazoer and Trauner are better than he is. He'd start for all the clubs, but he wouldn't be the best CB in 3 of them.

roonster09

Scout
He's not wrong when Ajax passed on the opportunity to sign VVD. Stam also wasn't rated domestically.
VDV is a serial loser/luxury player that never knew how to defend. His criticism of Maguire makes more sense when you understands he puts more emphasis on his ability on the ball than others would normally.
Who is not wrong?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Who is not wrong?
We have a habit of sleeping on defensively minded players.

De Roon is a good destroyer for Atalanta but was a nobody here. Rosario is doing well for Nice and was sold by PSV for 4 million this summer.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Harry is an important player for us, and will remain so. He doesn’t need to be replaced, he needs to be rested after a few years of constant football with Utd and England, and rehabilitated after his injury from which he came back too soon. He needs taking out of the firing line to get his head right, and he needs saving from himself by a strong leader who will tell him when he does and doesn’t play.

Hammondo

I do not think he would get close to Ajax.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
His issue is his lack of pace and he isnt that good to make up for it. An average CB bought for insane money.

If we can get decent money for him, i wouldn’t hesitate in swapping him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Jesus, I don't think he's very good but that's a bit much :lol:
Van der Vaart’s known for being a bit of a plonker as a pundit, he has a particular dislike for Maguire.

stevoc

Didn't Ron Vlaar play for Holland at a World Cup?

stevoc

Rafa took it to extremes however many Italian pundits and Serie A fans see this signing as strange. Football is shifting to a high press/high line defense. Someone with zero pace like Maguire should be struggling to make it at a top club let alone becoming the most expensive defender in the world

Even Bonucci had a pop at him

Genuine question do you have a bet with someone that you can bring up Serie A in every post?

Why would anyone care what Italian pundits say?

stevoc

Literally every Dutch pundit has been calling Maguire out for being shite ever since we signed him. How recent is this:
Wow that's a surprise it's not like the Dutch pundits to be outspoken and talk shit about something/someone.

stevoc

I'm with you on that.. I have given up on the likes of Martial but I still have confidence that Maguire will come good. He's got the technique and mental strength to come back better (hopefully).

While I do understand the 80M-related vitriol, I'm not going to blame him for the club overpaying.
I don't think he's really good enough to be the most expensive defender in the World either but there's a reason he is. PL Tax, English Tax and Man Utd Tax all rolled in.

Having said that he's still a good solid defender when on form. Though he does go through terrible periods of form worse than most defenders do.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Genuine question do you have a bet with someone that you can bring up Serie A in every post?

Why would anyone care what Italian pundits say?
Question 1: Well I follow both the EPL and the Serie A.
Question 2: The Dutch aren't the only people who are laughing at us signing Maguire for such ridiculous sums of money. Maybe someone who follows La Liga closely might tell us if critics there tend to scratch their heads whenever the Maguire's topic is mentioned as well. Its becoming as global as the Ole at the wheel chants.

Classical Mechanic

Timber, Bazoer and Trauner are better than he is. He'd start for all the clubs, but he wouldn't be the best CB in 3 of them.
Timber is a young player and looks good but it's frankly bollocks to say the other two are better. Outside of the top 2 - 3 Erdivisie sides it's a very weak league. I've followed a number of English players over there in recent years and guys like Clark-Salter, Dan Crowley and Lewis Baker that look decent there struggle to even become regular starters in The Championship when they come back to England. If players like Bazoer and Trauner were really as good as you claim they wouldn't be on such modest career paths.

roonster09

Scout
We have a habit of sleeping on defensively minded players.

De Roon is a good destroyer for Atalanta but was a nobody here. Rosario is doing well for Nice and was sold by PSV for 4 million this summer.
I get that, I'm asking who isn't wrong? VDV or @Firstouch20 ?

VDV is obviously wrong with his exaggerated nonsense and @Firstouch20 too when he said "Maguire wouldn't have been scouted by top flight clubs".

Hawks2008

When Varane is back banish him to the bench til summer and con Newcastle into taking him off our hands.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I mean it's very obviously just being said for clicks/attention and it's working.

He's not wrong either, Maguire and Shaw have been absolutely fecking shit since the Euros.

Zoo

Their one time golden boy De Ligt has been shite for longer then Maguire has.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Van Der Vaart having such an obsession with Maguire is one of the weirdest things I've seen in football

At least with Souness/Pogba there's the Liverpool/United rivalry, they both played/play in midfield etc

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Timber is a young player and looks good but it's frankly bollocks to say the other two are better. Outside of the top 2 - 3 Erdivisie sides it's a very weak league. I've followed a number of English players over there in recent years and guys like Clark-Salter, Dan Crowley and Lewis Baker that look decent there struggle to even become regular starters in The Championship when they come back to England. If players like Bazoer and Trauner were really as good as you claim they wouldn't be on such modest career paths.
So you rate players based on the clubs they play for? Reverse it:
If Büttner was as shit as I claim he wouldn't have played for MU.

There's always exceptions and players with stories and it works both ways. Dumfries was an amateur footballer at 18. Van der Wiel was a starter at PSG for multiple seasons and Maguire was bought for 80m by Manchester United. Graziano Pelle was a flop in Serie A and the Eredivsie at multiple clubs 'till 26y old and then had 2 PL seasons in which he scored 10+ goals.

I'm not saying Bazoer and Trauner are Utd quality, I'm saying they're slightly better than Maguire, which isn't a high bar.
Feel free to tune in and watch them tonight in the mickey mouse cup.
I get that, I'm asking who isn't wrong? VDV or @Firstouch20 ?

VDV is obviously wrong with his exaggerated nonsense and @Firstouch20 too when he said "Maguire wouldn't have been scouted by top flight clubs".
@Firstouch20 isn't wrong. It's possible the Dutch would have slept on Maguire, not because he isn't any good but because the Dutch suck at recognizing good defenders. Ajax choose not to sign VVD and Stam wasn't successful domestically.

bucky

The same Bazoer that was so shite in Germany, he had to go back to the Eredivisie?! He might have improved recently, but that also might have something to do with the Dutch league being a very weak league. I'm not really the biggest fan of Maguire, but claiming that Bazoer is better than him is utterly ridiculous.