Maguire needs to be replaced

crossy1686

career ending
Let’s face it, Maguire is over rated and pretty shit but he’s not as bad as VDV is suggesting. But the Dutch put way too much emphasis on ball playing ability than anything else and Maguire is piss poor at that.

Gilad

We always hang on for too long and the value plummets. Sell Maguire now before he's confirmed shite. We can get 40 million for him I reckon if we moved fast.
Fully agree. Also, being captain makes him all that more slower as his thoughts are not focused singularly on his immediate task.

Hammondo

Van Der Vaart having such an obsession with Maguire is one of the weirdest things I've seen in football

At least with Souness/Pogba there's the Liverpool/United rivalry, they both played/play in midfield etc
Maybe he just thinks he's shit.

Rolaholic

Gonna be fun to see Harry respond by cupping his ear after we draw Plymouth Argyle in the FA Cup

stevoc

Question 1: Well I follow both the EPL and the Serie A.
Question 2: The Dutch aren't the only people who are laughing at us signing Maguire for such ridiculous sums of money. Maybe someone who follows La Liga closely might tell us if critics there tend to scratch their heads whenever the Maguire's topic is mentioned as well. Its becoming as global as the Ole at the wheel chants.
Fair enough on 1 mate.

On 2 yeah I agree he was overpriced but there are reasons for that. Doesn't mean he is or at least always has been a bad defender.

Roux

Thoughts watching the game the other night - I wish we had Pau Torres instead of this absolute fraud of a captain.

Van Der Vaart is spot on.

romufc

Their one time golden boy De Ligt has been shite for longer then Maguire has.
This is it. The funny thing is, I have seen so many posts about Maguire wouldn't get in the Ajax team.

De Ligt was their best defender, he has been rubbish for Juve. I even watched him against Chelsea, his passing was terrible too.

Idxomer

Let’s face it, Maguire is over rated and pretty shit but he’s not as bad as VDV is suggesting. But the Dutch put way too much emphasis on ball playing ability than anything else and Maguire is piss poor at that.
Wasn't that one of the main reasons he was Ole's main target?

He was being sold to the fans as this great ball-playing defender that'll improve United passing from the back.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The same Bazoer that was so shite in Germany, he had to go back to the Eredivisie?! He might have improved recently, but that also might have something to do with the Dutch league being a very weak league. I'm not really the biggest fan of Maguire, but claiming that Bazoer is better than him is utterly ridiculous.
You shouldn't outright dismiss the idea that the best one or two CBs in the Eredivisie could be better than Maguire. It's clearly been true at times in the past (when De Ligt, De Vrij or VVD played there for instance). Obviously you've never watched them or you wouldn't have based your opinion on their career paths.

Why is a teenage Bazoer flopping at Wolfsburg clear evidence he's worse than Harry Maguire 5 years later? Because Maguire flopped at a bigger club in his prime? Players change and develop and clubs get it wrong all the time. Graziano Pelle, Alex Buttner etc.

It's a poor argument to say X player is better/worse than X player because they play for X club or flopped at X club. On average it's true more often than not, but that doesn't mean anything in individual cases.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Fair enough on 1 mate.

On 2 yeah I agree he was overpriced but there are reasons for that. Doesn't mean he is or at least always has been a bad defender.
He's not shit if that what you're asking and I've said it already that I believe that what VDV said was extreme. However at this level (EPL, Serie A, La Liga etc) Maguire is a very ordinary level CB. Don't take me wrong I see his strengths. He's basically an EPL old fashioned type of CB (Physically impressive, good in air) with some over average passing skills. However his weaknesses are quite striking especially in the modern game were a high defense line and pace is so important. The guy doesn't even have top positioning/anticipation or great leadership skills to at least compensate for his lack.

If we signed him for 30m-40m then no one would even mention him. He'd be our typical junior partner in a CB duo (ex Johnson or Lindelof) with the occasional trip to the bench when he's out of form. Unfortunately we bought him for 80m and no club can put an 80m CB signing on the bench without ending up looking silly. The fact that Maguire is incredibly thin skinned doesn't help either. It makes him look unsuited to handle pressure at this level. Take Keane as an example. Recently Robson hinted that he was a shit manager and he didn't even cared replying to that. That's how he should handle pressure.

bonothom

Going on today's defensive display against the leaders then Maguire should stay benched.

Red00012

I don’t rate Lindelof at all but I don’t see why Maguire should come back in on Thursday.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
I was thinking about how well our defence was doing today and I remembered its probably because maguire isn't playing

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Lindelof definitely did enough to stay in the eleven. It should be done by merit from now on. That was one of the most depressing parts of the old regime.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Lindelof just needed a better partner all along

OverratedOpinion

especially when he hasn't got Maguire alongside him
I don't even hate Maguire, Lindelof is literally just better at everything other than winning headers which often times doesn't help us as Maguire does not have the ability to win headers and manage to knock them to our players (both Vidic and Ferdinand were amazing at this) meaning we lose the second ball and they are facing our defence and we are in an even worse position than if we just lost the header to start with.

Lindelof is even multiple times better on the ball and a better passer which was a big selling point for Maguire.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
We're 7 minutes in and already, Lindelof has made three errors that Maguire would be getting hammered for.
Exactly. Baffled that people think we defended well. We got 9/10 behind the ball and basically just got away with it thanks to the likes of Werner.

Jericholyte2

If we could get 35-40 games a season out of Bailly then him and Varane would be our 1st choice partnership.

These last few posts would be singing a completely different tune if Hudson-Odoi had scored that one on one Lindelof handed him on a plate inside the first ten minutes.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
These last few posts would be singing a completely different tune if Hudson-Odoi had scored that one on one Lindelof handed him on a plate inside the first ten minutes.
Yep, or if Woodward didn't tell klopp that we are like disneyland. Things would have also been different if DDG scored the penalty in the final. Let's go one further, imagine if we never registered as a club? Things would have really been different

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Thought we missed him. We just couldn't handle the long balls and the second ball was right into a Chelsea player.

Yep, or if Woodward didn't tell klopp that we are like disneyland. Things would have also been different if DDG scored the penalty in the final. Let's go one further, imagine if we never registered as a club? Things would have really been different
I'm sure that sounded clever in your head (:

Hughie77

Van derfart, wow, he's another has-been go get a job on talk shite radio there's plenty more room for another twat on that. Just sit next to cundy ohara, bent, murphy ohh forgot gough now he was good at something there getting paid for sitting on there ass talking through it.

Lentwood

The very obvious problem with the logic of saying "we defended well today, ergo Lindelof/Bailly are better than Maguire", even before you get into the pretty bad xG against, the mistakes Lindelof made early in the game, the ultra-defensive setup etc...is that we kept a clean sheet in midweek with Harry Maguire at CB with Lindelof.

We'll see over the next few weeks and months. We have lots of good players, the shockingly chaotic performances this season were down to bad management, non-existant organisation and suicidal tactics

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
We played with 3 “DMs” to protect Mag … eh … I meant the defence today. And Chelsea were still unlucky not to be 2-0 ahead after a few minutes.

Lyng

Yeah. How quickly people are to pretend Lindelof and Bailly are good is baffling on here.
Its not that they are that good. But they are much better than Maguire. Still Varane with a new better partner would be preferable and then keep Linde and Bailly as bench options.

Idxomer

The evident truth is that he, Bailly, and Lindelof should all fight for the spot alongside Varane.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The evident truth is that he, Bailly, and Lindelof should all fight for the spot alongside Varane.
Amen. Let the best man win. If Maguire is in the team because his performances are better than the others then no United fan should have a problem. If not warm the bench or get sold.

Trophy Room

He’s been utter rubbish of late but he is a good defender - just short of confidence and fitness. Ralph will sort him out.