Maguire | NOT McGuire or MacGuire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Can't see a thread for this, which surprises me but the Mail has linked us to a "huge money" (ie £50m) for Harry Maguire. Only surprise is how long it's taken them to make the story up!

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
If we get him then one of Jones or Smalling has to go. Probably Jones.
I'd prefer to keep both over Rojo.

Really wish Jose wouldn't do this though and actually try get the most out of the other £70m defenders he's already bought

Raw

I'd prefer to keep both over Rojo.

Really wish Jose wouldn't do this though and actually try get the most out of the other £70m defenders he's already bought
Forgot about Rojo, yeah he could go too if Jose thinks Shaw should be Young's LB backup.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He needs to stay at Leicester for at least another season

Infra-red

Much better in the air than any of our CBs aside from Smalling, and can actually pass the ball, too. He's a bit flat-footed, but our other CBs are probably quick enough to compensate.

Wouldn't be a bad signing, although I have to believe there are better options out there if we're prepared to spend the money.

Dolf

We need to upgrade, not expand. Harry Maguire is maybe slightly better than Jones/Rojo but we need a Ramos/Chiellini/Pique/Silva if we want to get anywhere near winning the CL

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Wouldn't be against it, but isn't he a bit aggressive? Could end up with 2 CBs who press hard instead of one pressing and one to cover. Not saying 2 presses couldn't work but I'm more of a fan of one to cover.

Andersons Dietician

Didn’t they also link him to Liverpool Just the other day. Seems to me like someone’s agent is angiling for a better contract based off of his WC performances.
If he was on the move he has looked pretty good from what I’ve seen of him. We have a butt load of defenders already so unless someone is going or we are shifting to 3 at the back I can’t really see it. What would that be 150mil on defenders since Jose arrived if we sign him? Possible 200+ if we move for Sandro as well.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Advocated for his signing before the WC, and I’d still be for it. I can’t imagine people would find as many flaws with his game if he were Mediterranean. He’s been excellent since Hull City, just like Andy Robertson was.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Just listening to Talksport and them and people ringing in are saying he should sign for anyone but us. That he will not fit Jose's style. That he does not want his CB's coming out with the ball. It might be that Jose realises that if he does not change he could be out of a job by Christmas. Not sure the fans will put up with awful football for much longer.

Classical Mechanic

Just listening to Talksport and them and people ringing in are saying he should sign for anyone but us. That he will not fit Jose's style. That he does not want his CB's coming out with the ball. It might be that Jose realises that if he does not change he could be out of a job by Christmas. Not sure the fans will put up with awful football for much longer.
I think they're broadly correct. He doesn't seem the right fit for us. There was some talk last summer of us going to a back 5 with Lindelof coming in but it never happened. If we did we'd definitely have the defenders to cover for his lack of recovery pace. Perisic as a wing back. Could work.

Dolf

No, we need to buy a young player who can became like one of those.
Even better, but that means taking a risk since you never know how a young player is going to turn out. Do we really have the time and patience for that?

Infra-red

He might realise that using his CBs this way will be useful in beating some of the relegation-fodder we routinely struggle against.

the unknown one.

The raven sits ever watchful above my chamber door
Be a quality purchase.

He is strong, excellent in the air, fantastic on the ball, can dribble, seems a level headed lad and is absolutely huge.

Only weakness is pace.

Don't understand some of the comments here at all.

Would be our best CB alongside Bailly.

People talking about Pique, Chellini and Silva who are all finished or very close to the end. :houllier:

Sign him up Jose.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Be a quality purchase.

He is strong, excellent in the air, fantastic on the ball, can dribble, seems a level headed lad and is absolutely huge.

Only weakness is pace.

Don't understand some of the comments here at all.

Would be our best CB alongside Bailly.

People talking about Pique, Chellini and Silva who are all finished or very close to the end. :houllier:

Sign him up Jose.
Agree with this. He’s typical of a fergie signing . He’s going to get better and would benefit from playing with better players. Jones and rojo are perennial sick notes

Devil may care

I thought the idea was to buy an experienced CB to add some leadership to the defense.

No, we need to buy a young player who can became like one of those.
Bailly, Lindelof and beyond that Axel could all fit that criteria and we already bought them, not that I'm against Maguire if it means one of the chuckle twins is off.

Judas

Open to offers
We do, but as you say, if it helps pushing out players who are simply nowhere near good enough, yes please.

THere's still a question mark over Lindelof, but I'm reasonably hopeful.

Infestissumam

would take him in a heartbeat. United need a ball-playing CB badly and his passing range and vision are great. English bloke, good in the air, still young ... sign me up.

goober88

I think there's already a thread but, feck it, this is Harry Ma-feckin'-guire we're talking about here.

Edit: thread is in football forum, not transfer forum.

the unknown one.

I don't rate him at all (beyond the average CB) and think people are stupidly impressed by anything an English player does (lot of history to this stuff).
He is brilliant in the air, fantastic on the ball and technically for a CB, seems very composed, incredibly strong and large but also quite elegant, seems down to earth, wont have any problems settling, can read the game well and is very aggressive in the tackle.

He is a 8 or 9 out of ten in every aspect of being a modern CB except for pace.

Your comment is beyond ridiculous.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think we will regret not signing him if he goes elsewhere. I don’t think I’ve been as impressed with a CB in a long time. Doesn’t have any standout weaknesses and I think he’s a natural leader. He’s actually well known in my local area (I’ve played with his brother), and I can say with certainty that’s he’s as down to earth as they come. Think he would be a huge upgrade in what we have, the only concern is I think his price will be sky high.

Minimalist

He is brilliant in the air, fantastic on the ball and technically for a CB, seems very composed, incredibly strong and large but also quite elegant, seems down to earth, wont have any problems settling, can read the game well and is very aggressive in the tackle.

He is a 8 or 9 out of ten in every aspect on being a modern CB except for pace.

Your comment is beyond ridiculous.
Fs :lol:

Look whatever. I'm not bothered by going against the hive-mind. I also think centre-backs are not the area to buy for unless we ship out at least two of them first.

Classical Mechanic

Fs :lol:

Look whatever. I'm not bothered by going against the hive-mind.
What's the problem with that? He seems very down to earth and speaks very well. Scouts assess personalities as well as playing qualities. Off the pitch I don't think he would cause any issues and would represent the club as we'd expect him to.

the unknown one.

I think we will regret not signing him if he goes elsewhere. I don’t think I’ve been as impressed with a CB in a long time. Doesn’t have any standout weaknesses and I think he’s a natural leader. He’s actually well known in my local area (I’ve played with his brother), and I can say with certainty that’s he’s as down to earth as they come. Think he would be a huge upgrade in what we have, the only concern is I think his price will be sky high.
True

Minimalist

What's the problem with that? He seems very down to earth and speaks very well. Scouts assess personalities as well as playing qualities. Off the pitch I don't think he would cause any issues and would represent the club as we'd expect him to.
There's no problem with it but it's borderline meaningless. Is Ramos down to earth you reckon? I'm sure Smalling and Jones are down to earth too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He'd be perfect for Jose's planned 3-5-2.

Would happily replace him with Jones all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.