Maguire | he stays!

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Jeez I really wanted Maguire (not for 80 million) I would have thought he’d be an excellent buy and piece of scouting for the kind of money Leicester paid for him. The price tag weighed too heavy and he is slow. Himself and Lindelof don’t compliment each other at all either

arthurka

Why? There are many players that just need getting off the books.

WIlliams, Telles, Donny, Bailly, Maguire etc.
Why do we always have to pay wages and other payments to get rid of our players while other teams get paid money for their?

Rooney1987

Maguire is on 190k a week. The type of team that would buy him just won't pay it.
I've just read the headline but its sounds like it's a clickbait headline, it's basically us having to accept a lower fee because of his wages and Wheeler just guess at 10mil?

Edwards6

Why do we always have to pay wages and other payments to get rid of our players while other teams get paid money for their?
Because we give them high wages that other clubs won't match, saw Vidic saying not long ago his only regret is missing out on the contracts Ed Woodward was giving out

arthurka

Maguire is on 190k a week. The type of team that would buy him just won't pay it.
And here below you have the answer to my initial question of why we are idiots.

Because we give them high wages that other clubs won't match, saw Vidic saying not long ago his only regret is missing out on the contracts Ed Woodward was giving out
Exactly

The Purley King

If the club buying him have to at least match his wages at 190k and they only want to pay him 100k, then the missing 90k over 2 years of contract remaining is approx 10m.
I think that is where the figure comes from.
We should still be able to get 25m or so from a sale I would have thought , maybe even up to 35m on a good day.

MonsieurGooner

Supports
Arsenal
Yes, this is what happens when you have a player on a high wage you don't want to keep and they happen to be around 30 years old. We did it with Aubamyang. No one wants to pay a transfer fee and match the wages. So to compensate you terminate the contract and get rid. He cant be hanging around like a bad smell, his mere presence is the worst reminder of the Ole/Woodward era you are trying to break free from. Pay him out and make him a free agent.

Lee565

I find it hard to believe we have to pay him to leave when he wants to leave and his wages are not crazy and we can just set a low transfer fee that loads of clubs would snap our hands of for without having to actually pay Maguire off

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I find it hard to believe we have to pay him to leave when he wants to leave and his wages are not crazy and we can just set a low transfer fee that loads of clubs would snap our hands of for without having to actually pay Maguire off
I've never seen anything that suggests that Maguire has ever said he wants to leave, the fans want him gone and career wise it probably makes sense but he hasn't pushed for it, yet

Eric_the_Red99

One issue has been our tendency to dish out long-term contracts with ridiculous wages to bang average players who will only ever serve to plug a short term gap. I can see a similar situation arising with Dalot in a couple of years.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If we are paying him 10 m to leave, that means we value his contributions by a negative value bigger than 10m.

EliasRavelino

Supports
Sevilla
I can see Maguire being the next Phil Jones, I mean he has a cast-iron contract on big money at a famous club. Unless he is a massive patriot and thinks he has the ability to with the World Cup with England (unlikely) why not just stay at United and hope injuries to others get him back onto the pitch for a few games a season. It is what I would do!

One issue has been our tendency to dish out long-term contracts with ridiculous wages to bang average players who will only ever serve to plug a short term gap. I can see a similar situation arising with Dalot in a couple of years.
Maybe longer, hasn't Dalot just signed a new contract?

Charlie Foley

Surely another season of not playing sees him slide down the pecking order for the England team? Come on lionheart Harry, put your nation before your bank account and leave for a wage cut.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What a wild ride it's been for him.. someone should create a timeline of all the prominent arguments made in his favour over the years.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I can see Maguire being the next Phil Jones, I mean he has a cast-iron contract on big money at a famous club. Unless he is a massive patriot and thinks he has the ability to with the World Cup with England (unlikely) why not just stay at United and hope injuries to others get him back onto the pitch for a few games a season. It is what I would do!

I know. We’ll still have to pay him off though.

Mike Smalling

Where is the ruthlessness from the club? Just say, “Look Harry lad, you are never playing for this club again. If you want to play footie at a pro level next season, you better accept whatever contract is offered elsewhere. Best of luck”. Then accept literally any transfer offer and throw him in the reserves if he prefers that.

Or is that too harsh and against club values?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Where is the ruthlessness from the club? Just say, “Look Harry lad, you are never playing for this club again. If you want to play footie at a pro level next season, you better accept whatever contract is offered elsewhere. Best of luck”. Then accept literally any transfer offer and throw him in the reserves if he prefers that.

Or is that too harsh and against club values?
Self defeating, other players would hear about it and it might deter them from considering joining us

Eric_the_Red99

That’s what I was referring to. His new contract will keep him here until 2028, but if we improve as a team the way I want us to, I can see him being surplus to requirements long before that time is up, and I just can’t see wealthy clubs competing to take him off us.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I remember saying that he wouldn't be good enough to be your main man in a title challenging back four, but I honestly didn't think he'd crash and burn this hard.

RedStarUnited

Self defeating, other players would hear about it and it might deter them from considering joining us
And the other way is better? Join United play shit and they will pay you to leave when the time comes.

Stick him in reserves. No way should we be subsidising his exit. He can then go to a new team and get a hefty sign on fee cos he will be free. What a win for him, if all of this is true.

Lee565

I've never seen anything that suggests that Maguire has ever said he wants to leave, the fans want him gone and career wise it probably makes sense but he hasn't pushed for it, yet
True but he must know he is not in ten hag plans and what good is it to him sitting on the bench for 80% of next season with a euros around the corner, there is surely a breaking point with southgate dropping him unless he is that much stuck in his ways of selecting the same old players despite playing time and for harry it will not do him any favours long term to see out his contract as he would end up struggling to find a top half club to take him fon well into his 30's with little playing time for good wages.

LuckyScout78

Not sure if Napoli is interest in a swap deal. A replacement for Kim Min Jae.

If not Maguire. United can negotiate and bid a early 50 mill £ deal for Napoli or waiting for more competition for Kim from 1. july.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
And the other way is better? Join United play shit and they will pay you to leave when the time comes.

Stick him in reserves. No way should we be subsidising his exit. He can then go to a new team and get a hefty sign on fee cos he will be free. What a win for him, if all of this is true.
I have no idea where the 10 million comes from, for all any of us know it might be in his contract, I'm certain Maguire is looking out for his interests and what he wants not what United or us fans deem is wanted or needed

AaronRedDevil

He was a wall for us for a good long while. Thought we’d be great when Varane came in as a perfect partner. Ever since Greece he’s been disappointing.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Quite a poor player but still, I don’t think our fans should run over it’s own players intentionally no matter how bad they are.

acnumber9

He was a wall for us for a good long while. Thought we’d be great when Varane came in as a perfect partner. Ever since Greece he’s been disappointing.
That incident was three years ago. So he was a ‘wall’ for one year.