Maguire | he stays!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I find it hard to believe we have to pay him to leave when he wants to leave and his wages are not crazy and we can just set a low transfer fee that loads of clubs would snap our hands of for without having to actually pay Maguire off
Do you not know what a contract means? If Maguire gets shortchanged by the deal he has every right to refuse and see out his contract

And the other way is better? Join United play shit and they will pay you to leave when the time comes.

Stick him in reserves. No way should we be subsidising his exit. He can then go to a new team and get a hefty sign on fee cos he will be free. What a win for him, if all of this is true.
I'm sure you can't just stick players in the reserves

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I think this is a bit harsh as a general statement. He's a bad United player. I'm not sure he was a bad Hull or Leicester City player. So that's probably indicative of something.
He’s not even bad as a United player, before his injury during lockdown he was immense. His confidence seems to be low, probably by the pillorying he constantly gets and he doesn’t fit the way ETH wants to play. We’ve seen his performances for England also. He will move to another top team and will shine again I’m sure.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Isn't that 10 mil payment loyalty bonus? Something which every player gets if he leaves during the contract?
No, it depends on whether they negotiated such bonus and how its paid. Also 10m for loyalty bonus would be a lot.

Abraxas

He’s not even bad as a United player, before his injury during lockdown he was immense. His confidence seems to be low, probably by the pillorying he constantly gets and he doesn’t fit the way ETH wants to play. We’ve seen his performances for England also. He will move to another top team and will shine again I’m sure.
But I think being unfit for the way ETH wants to play probably makes a bad United player by definition. It just means that he's a bad fit, resulting in bad performance. Then of course he loses confidence, but that's because he's bad.

AFC NimbleThumb

How much will we get for him?

He was excellent until the Greece episode (or thereabouts). Suits a defensive styled team as per Southgate’s England. Underrated on the ball imo. Him, Shaw and Rashford were decent down the left.

Who are the takers, given his salary?
He. Was. Not.

Semigoodlookin

He was too <stamps feet, grumpily>. Post #683 in this thread is accurate.
What does excellent mean? Top 3 in the league, top 5 in the world in his position, world-class even? He was none of those things at any point in his career and someone who was bought as the most expensive defender ever should be. He is judged differently because of what he is supposed to bring. He was supposed to be good enough to be the lynchpin of the defence and then to be a captain that drives United. He hasn't and doesn't do any of those things. I don't think Maguire needs to be public enemy number one the moment he steps on the pitch but he has never been good enough and has never been "excellent". He has at some point been a very good Premier League defender, but that is not what United needed from his transfer (and he has rarely delivered even very good, anyway).

The Urban Goose

Does anyone actually want him? All the comments I see from other clubs fans are along the lines of "feck that".

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He was seen as and was a huge miss against Villareal, he genuinely was playing some good stuff.

InfiniteBoredom

He was too <stamps feet, grumpily>. Post #683 in this thread is accurate.
It’s always funny how Maguire stans insist on the Greek incident as something to blame his downfall on when, *check notes*, his Euro team of the tournament inclusion and finest form for Utd was after that incident.

OrcaFat

What does excellent mean? Top 3 in the league, top 5 in the world in his position, world-class even? He was none of those things at any point in his career and someone who was bought as the most expensive defender ever should be. He is judged differently because of what he is supposed to bring. He was supposed to be good enough to be the lynchpin of the defence and then to be a captain that drives United. He hasn't and doesn't do any of those things. I don't think Maguire needs to be public enemy number one the moment he steps on the pitch but he has never been good enough and has never been "excellent". He has at some point been a very good Premier League defender, but that is not what United needed from his transfer (and he has rarely delivered even very good, anyway).
Yes I’ve read many long winded posts about how shit he is and always has been. I don’t agree with them. He’s been England’s best defender for a few years, in the right system. Stick him against Mbappe and he might struggle, I’ll give you that.

OrcaFat

It’s always funny how Maguire stans insist on the Greek incident as something to blame his downfall on when, *check notes*, his Euro team of the tournament inclusion and finest form for Utd was after that incident.
Yeah he was still good after that but it did affect his form for a while. Bear in mind I’m just a confused old man.

norm87cro

Yeah probably Im just sorry a total fraud like Lindelof gets a free pass and an average back like Dalot gets a new deal. We should strive for better for sure and Maguire has been a scapegoat for many fans while we had issues all over the pitch. I wish the best of luck in a club like West Ham, Everton or Crystal Palace because that is his pinnacle which is not insulting him it just is what it is.

Last edited:

Mike Smalling

He’s never been immense in a United shirt. Never. There’s been good performances here and there, but he has never had a prolonged period of being excellent. Consider what Martinez and Varane have played like this season. Maguire is not capable of that.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

zero ambition
As has been said by many people - the only way we get this guy out is if we subsidise wages/pay him off. Anyone thinking he’s going to take a 50% reduction to go play for a random mid table side is just completely off. £190k a week to sit on the bench and play 15-20 games a season is very hard to let go off.

crossy1686

career ending
He’s got to be our biggest loser this season. If he stays it’s because the offers on the table aren’t paying anywhere near the same, he has no reason to throw away his England career otherwise.

Would be incredibly cathartic if him, Sancho and Martial left this summer but we’ll be lucky to shift 1/3.

crossy1686

career ending
I would take any comments like a 'source saying this and that' with a pinch of salt unless someone wants to put their name to the comment.
“First team coach at United with close links to Andy Mitten says Maguire is shit.”

I think it’s a given that the Athletic are well connected within most clubs.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
I don’t see him going this summer is the problem, he’s on good money and with United on an upward trajectory he will win trophies albeit from being a sub and not as club captain.
Think ETH should change the captain officially now and let Maguire have the summer to think over his options and be prepared to leave or be a squad player.

RuudTom83

Transfers are always far more complicated than the endless tweets like to make out.

Moving Maguire on this summer will be very difficult...not impossible like Martial! but still very difficult.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don’t see him going this summer is the problem, he’s on good money and with United on an upward trajectory he will win trophies albeit from being a sub and not as club captain.
Think ETH should change the captain officially now and let Maguire have the summer to think over his options and be prepared to leave or be a squad player.
Without a doubt.
It was clever management not changing captain immediately, or even mid season as it'd just be a really destructive blow.

But you need your captain to be playing the majority of the games. So Bruno/Casemiro or someone need to be the choice.

A "club captain" is a different thing. That can be someone who doesn't play as much as they used to, like a mid 30s Robbo etc, but Maguire shouldn't be either.