Maguire | he stays!

RopersReturn

Seeing as he wanted to sign him so desperately, maybe Woodward could pay his wages and hire Maguire as his personal assistant.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He knows his time is up, when Luke Shaw, a LWB is picked before you at CB - its time to go.

The only issue is will he take a reduction on his almost £200k a week wages? or will he play the "I want to stay and fight for my place" card.

The other option is we subsidise his wages at whichever club he goes to. That plus the hit we will take on his transfer fee - he has been a costly mistake for us.

Chelsea still plays a 38 y.o. Thiago Silva. With Poch there, you'd think they'll be interested in Maguire.

Chelsea double swooped Maguire and Kane this Summer, Poch can create that "family vibe" he's after. Kane, Maguire, Chilwell, Mount, Sterling.. just like the good ol' days.

Last edited:

Roboc7

With the takeover dragging on I can’t see a lot happening in terms or anyone leaving or coming in until July. I’m not convinced we’ll be actively trying to sell him or number of other players people are expecting to leave this summer.

In theory he should be desperate to leave but if he isn’t going to push for a move, thinks he can get back in team (and/or doesn’t want to give up those wages) he may end up having another season on the bench.

MrBrightside1989

He has to go. Having a club captain who is 5th choice centre back but also wants to start for England just can't work.
Varane, Martinez, Lindelof and shaw are all clearly ahead of him now and any new signing would be too.
I think he would look fantastic in Italian football.

Nogho

If he, Maguire, hadn’t had the wage his on and if he would have been a more outspoken person he would have been moaning to the press already. Sitting on the bench, being booed when substituted, being mocked in the newspapers etc. He can’t enjoy life. But on the flip side, taking a big wage cut, play in another worse side and, if things go wrong, still being booed and mocked. Hard place to be I guess.

Hammondo

Chelsea still plays a 38 y.o. Thiago Silva. With Poch there, you'd think they'll be interested in Maguire.

Chelsea double swooped Maguire and Kane this Summer, Poch can create that "family vibe" he's after. Kane, Maguire, Chilwell, Mount, Sterling.. just like the good ol' days.
Maguire isn't good enough for a club that big.

Hammondo

If he, Maguire, hadn’t had the wage his on and if he would have been a more outspoken person he would have been moaning to the press already. Sitting on the bench, being booed when substituted, being mocked in the newspapers etc. He can’t enjoy life. But on the flip side, taking a big wage cut, play in another worse side and, if things go wrong, still being booed and mocked. Hard place to be I guess.
If he hadn't had so many poor performances then that would have helped.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He has to go. He adds nothing to our squad at this point. He isn't even a reliable 4th choice.

Nickelodeon

For once, sitting on his arse wouldn't work for Maguire as it does/did for Lingard, Van de Beek, Mata, Martial, Brandon Williams etc. Maguire actually has his England place to lose. Remains to be seen whether the money matters more to him than his England place.

MadMike

I'd keep him to save money on a new CB this summer, instead spend the money in CM and CF.
There's several CBs going out of contract this summer who would cost less than Maguire in wages.

Plus, by the sounds of it, he wants to go for first team football. He wants to retain the England spot and captaincy. Do you really want to keep a player who isn't good enough and wants to go, when it will cost us less to replace him.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
People assume that most footballers care about playing week in week out. Some of them just doesnt and being on a 200k per week on the bench beats playing regularly on 80k per week. At the end of the day they're professional who play for the team who paid the most.

Some players who can enjoy both would gladly move as it's a no brainer. Players like Jonny Evans would have no problem moving down the ladder since they got to play, command roughly same pay, and it's not actually a hard choice.

At this rate the only way to oust Maguire is if we subsidised part of his hefty salary and move him on in order to afford some face saving. Not good having him on 200k perweek stinking up the place either way. To play him is to lose point.

The only logical solution is to force him using the only power we have. Money

Offer him a golden handshake and part ways amicably, or turn this into an ugly affair by benchin him, or even play him in the reserves along with u18 boys.

Cruel? Maybe. But I'd do it if I were Ten Haag. We need to be ruthless. Some players have been taking us to the cleaner and it's time to set some groundrules.

Crashoutcassius

I’m pretty sure Maguire and the “young British core” concept was sold to him by Mike Phelan.
Mourinho wanted Maguire very badly. He says it in interviews on sky. The following regime just OKed a deal that bad been a year in the works... Sounded like we knocked 10m off the price for the year wait, classic united

Fr. Todd Unctious

For once, sitting on his arse wouldn't work for Maguire as it does/did for Lingard, Van de Beek, Mata, Martial, Brandon Williams etc. Maguire actually has his England place to lose. Remains to be seen whether the money matters more to him than his England place.

You'd be surprised. He's one of Southgate's favourites after all

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Mourinho wanted Maguire very badly. He says it in interviews on sky. The following regime just OKed a deal that bad been a year in the works... Sounded like we knocked 10m off the price for the year wait, classic united
Actually no they insisted on the deal, because Phelan worked with him before.
The club scouts told Jose he wasn't better than what we had, I don't think we sign him if Ole/Phelan didn't insist

Cassidy

People assume that most footballers care about playing week in week out. Some of them just doesnt and being on a 200k per week on the bench beats playing regularly on 80k per week. At the end of the day they're professional who play for the team who paid the most.

Some players who can enjoy both would gladly move as it's a no brainer. Players like Jonny Evans would have no problem moving down the ladder since they got to play, command roughly same pay, and it's not actually a hard choice.

At this rate the only way to oust Maguire is if we subsidised part of his hefty salary and move him on in order to afford some face saving. Not good having him on 200k perweek stinking up the place either way. To play him is to lose point.

The only logical solution is to force him using the only power we have. Money

Offer him a golden handshake and part ways amicably, or turn this into an ugly affair by benchin him, or even play him in the reserves along with u18 boys.

Cruel? Maybe. But I'd do it if I were Ten Haag. We need to be ruthless. Some players have been taking us to the cleaner and it's time to set some groundrules.
I think he'll want to move to be honest. I also think he'll get a good salary 120k+ a week at a few clubs
Going from guaranteed starter and captain to 5th choice CB is wild, but it shows how much he was favored by the previous manager.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think he'll want to move to be honest. I also think he'll get a good salary 120k+ a week at a few clubs
Going from guaranteed starter and captain to 5th choice CB is wild, but it shows how much he was favored by the previous manager.
He dont have much time left on the big money. If i were him I'd cling to the 200k per week as long as i can. It's never to late to step down anyway, if he can milk another 2 good years why waste it.

At the end of the day playing for United is still better financially than playing for middle or bottom half team it's practically holding the white flag and says you're done as a top footballer.

He really have nothing much to lose finishing his contract with us.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He's finished here. 5th choice CB.
Yep.
To be kept out by Lindelof and an out of position Shaw, whilst Martinez is out, is pure curtains.

Just hope we can get a decent sort of fee in.

Cassidy

He dont have much time left on the big money. If i were him I'd cling to the 200k per week as long as i can. It's never to late to step down anyway, if he can milk another 2 good years why waste it.

At the end of the day playing for United is still better financially than playing for middle or bottom half team it's practically holding the white flag and says you're done as a top footballer.

He really have nothing much to lose finishing his contract with us.
I'm not saying its not an option, just saying I don't think he will, and I think he'll want to play.
His ego won't allow him to be 5th choice CB at United even for 200k, remember we have a LB playing CB ahead of him.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm not saying its not an option, just saying I don't think he will, and I think he'll want to play.
His ego won't allow him to be 5th choice CB at United even for 200k, remember we have a LB playing CB ahead of him.
The move is there. It's on him. Anytime he said I'm willing to accept 80k or thereabout and instruct his agent to sound it around he'll be out.

I even think we dont mind paying him 80k to move if that's what he wants. 80 plus 80 is 160 good enough money wise.

It's just probably not an easy steps to take taking the step down. Not when he still think he's good. People can be delusional sometimes and simply refused to admit he's not as good as he thought he was.

Mike Smalling

I’d let him go for any kind of fee just to get him off the pay roll. Managing our salary expenses seems like a massive area of improvement, and getting rid of players not pulling their weight is a huge deal.

Cassidy

The move is there. It's on him. Anytime he said I'm willing to accept 80k or thereabout and instruct his agent to sound it around he'll be out.

I even think we dont mind paying him 80k to move if that's what he wants. 80 plus 80 is 160 good enough money wise.

It's just probably not an easy steps to take taking the step down. Not when he still think he's good. People can be delusional sometimes and simply refused to admit he's not as good as he thought he was.
The very fact he won't want to admit he isn't that good is why he will leave, also like I said earlier, plenty of clubs will pay him a good salary because they think he is good too. A lot more than 80k

Hughes35

Needs to go this summer. I think we can get 35-40 million for him from somebody like West Ham, Everton (If they have new owners), Forrest, Villa or somebody like that.

I think we should try to sign Min-Jae (Sound like we probably will get him). Would leave us:

RB - Dalot / AWB
LB - Shaw / Malacia
CB - Varane / Martinez / Min-Jae / Lindelof

That's a really strong group, and basically breaks even in terms of cost.

Striker, CM and hopefully a GK in addition to the above would be perfect.

Henderson going to Forrest to partially fund a new Gk (Like Maguire funding Kim)
Fred or Mctom / a couple of other bits of deadwood going towards funding a new CM
New investment for Kane

That's the perfect summer.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Yep.
To be kept out by Lindelof and an out of position Shaw, whilst Martinez is out, is pure curtains.

More likely to go as makeweight in any deal with a PL club something like with cash and him for Rice. West Ham is a place I could see him espeically if Moyes stays

Matt851

Can any boffins tell me how much we would need to sell him for to improve rather than worsen our ffp position?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Yep.

Anything over 30m is good business.

Crashoutcassius

Actually no they insisted on the deal, because Phelan worked with him before.
The club scouts told Jose he wasn't better than what we had, I don't think we sign him if Ole/Phelan didn't insist
Seems like an unbelievable narrative especially given the clout mourinho had going into final season. Maguire had a good year that year so possible that swayed it. More likely that we were in negotiations for a year similar to Shaw herrera Bruno and Sancho

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Actually I'm fairly certain we paid 10m more. From memory all the reports were that Leicester wanted 70m when Mourinho was trying to sign him, then when we went back 12 months later we ended up having to pay 80m.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Mourinho was looking for any center back with a pulse that summer. He went after Boateng, Mina, Keane and even Jose Fonte until Ed told him to put the pipe down and he responded by playing McTominay at center back. Then he goes to Roma and becomes entirely fine with the idea of Mike Smalling.

Cassidy

Seems like an unbelievable narrative especially given the clout mourinho had going into final season. Maguire had a good year that year so possible that swayed it. More likely that we were in negotiations for a year similar to Shaw herrera Bruno and Sancho
The briefs around this were all over the press.
Jose wanted a CB any, the club didn't think Maguire was better than what we had (according to what was briefed by the club at the time). Whether or not that was the club putting Jose in his pace who knows but that was what was put out there.

Crashoutcassius

The briefs around this were all over the press.
Jose wanted a CB any, the club didn't think Maguire was better than what we had (according to what was briefed by the club at the time). Whether or not that was the club putting Jose in his pace who knows but that was what was put out there.
More likely briefed at end of summer after the club couldn't make a deal with Leicester looking for 90m. I say more likely as the club paid a record price for the player 9 months later

Cassidy

More likely briefed at end of summer after the club couldn't make a deal with Leicester looking for 90m. I say more likely as the club paid a record price for the player 9 months later
Leicester wanted 70m

The Urban Goose

Source is SunSport so probably completely rubbish. But for 50m (even in Euros) I would drive him to Paris myself and even throw in tickets for the Louvre.
Only after 12 July please. I'm in Paris in early July and don't want to risk bumping into slabhead on the Champs Elysées (or in his case, the Losers Elysées).

Licha M

We should be able to get a few quid for him.

Experienced, only just turned 30, an England international who's one of the first names on the team-sheet (as long as Southgate is in charge) and I can see him doing reasonably well for a team that's happy to sit back back and soak up pressure.

Him and West Ham are made for each other - maybe he can be their new Bobby Moore.

Revan

Assumptionman
Good luck to United getting 50m from a 30 years old meme player. He is not as terrible as this season, but with that salary and with the current reputation, we should be glad if we can get 20-30m.

userman

Can any boffins tell me how much we would need to sell him for to improve rather than worsen our ffp position?
£26m is our break-even for Maguire (remaining book value), so anything above that number will improve our ffp (provided that the reported £80m transfer fee is correct).