Maguire Swore at Shaw: F**king Switch On

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He really didn’t at all, but perhaps if you only watch United-games and rate him as such because he is playing well. Shaw had many mistakes in him last season, as usual few goal involvements and generally looks unfit for a professional footballer. In no universe did he look like the best LB at any given time, he just doesn’t have the highlights in his game.
Disagree, he was very often the best player on the pitch and with the quality we have that says a lot. He was unbeatable one on one, good in the buildup, good going forward.

He has an unusual build, it has nothing to do with fitness. I remember Jetro Willems getting criticized for his fat head and underchin but looking lean shirtless:

I think Shaw falls into the same category, so unless you've seen him shirtless or know his body fat percentage you can't make statements like that. More importantly he covers plenty of ground and doesn't look knackered too early into the game.

AFC NimbleThumb

Childish premise. He got POTS objectively, our left side is always the most potent and he pocketed more or less every attacker he came up against. Admittedly this season so far he has been poor but so has most of the squad barring CR7. Has he been any worse than Maguire or Mctominay?
I don’t rate Maguire or McTominay. No one has been worse than our club captain in my book.

dmst

Some people are still mad that Shaw proved them wrong last season.

(And yes he's been bad lately. Needs a rest.)

Hoof the ball

Disagree, he was very often the best player on the pitch and with the quality we have that says a lot. He was unbeatable one on one, good in the buildup, good going forward.

He has an unusual build, it has nothing to do with fitness. I remember Jetro Willems getting criticized for his fat head and underchin but looking lean shirtless:

I think Shaw falls into the same category, so unless you've seen him shirtless or know his body fat percentage you can't make statements like that. More importantly he covers plenty of ground and doesn't look knackered too early into the game.
Luke often carries more bodyfat than he needs. This was him during the Euro's, which is frankly quite awful conditioning for someone who just played nine months and a tournament right after!

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Luke often carries more bodyfat than he needs. This was him during the Euro's, which is frankly quite awful conditioning for someone who just played nine months and a tournament right after!

I stand corrected. That's a bit much.

Regardless, he was brilliant last season. I don't know why people are downplaying it. Short memories I guess.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Was class last season, to the stage where I thought he could do a Lahm and move into midfield. Shocking this season and Telles deserves some games.

::sonny::

He can play well for some month occasionally, but in reality he is only an average one like Danny Rose or Charlie Taylor

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Love to be as fat as him

justsomebloke

Still doesn't mean he's a good defender, his potential sense and awareness is mediocre at best. There's a reason why Jose had to walk him through a game step by step
he didn't have to. He chose to. Which says a lot more about JMs idea of how to treat players than it does about Luke Shaw. And please, a lot of people would say he was the best left back in the PL last year, as well as arguably the best left back in the Euros. He's not suddenly a mediocre defender just because he's playing badly right now.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Some of the nonsense being posted in here — Charlie Taylor, ffs. At his best he’s massively important to our build-up play and progressing the ball in the middle of the pitch. His first touch and general composure is pretty much up there with the best at the club too.

It’s a horrific start to the season, and he does need a kick up the bum, but I’m not massively worried. I’ve said it in a few threads but honestly I’m past the hyper analysis of player performances for the foreseeable. We’re stuck in this horrific flux where the club have decided to write off the season until Ole is gone.

Andersonson

he didn't have to. He chose to. Which says a lot more about JMs idea of how to treat players than it does about Luke Shaw. And please, a lot of people would say he was the best left back in the PL last year, as well as arguably the best left back in the Euros. He's not suddenly a mediocre defender just because he's playing badly right now.
One good season doesn't make you class either. Plenty of footballers have had stunning seasons then gone crap again.

I'm still very unsure about Shaw

Wilt

Kane: I’ve brought your special edition, king size Big Mac.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
One good season doesn't make you class either. Plenty of footballers have had stunning seasons then gone crap again.

I'm still very unsure about Shaw
Shaw hasn't had an ordinary career path to be fair. Broke his leg then had to deal with that toxic cnut as a manager. We're ubershite as a team right now to the point I find it difficult to single out underperforming players when they've been tremendous in the past. It's a bit different for players that have never really convinced, for me at least.

Oh, I see the board has morphed into men's lifestyle magazine .
:lol:

YouknowNani

Feck the league position, we conceded 50 goals.

There’s nothing to refute, your defence for him having a great season os highlighting a season we finished a paltry 6th & conceded the most goals for well over 2 decades. Relegated teams have PoTSs you clown, someone has to get it. He had a good season by his standards but was part of a defence that conceded 50+ domestically but yes I can’t ‘refute’ your nonsense.

He’s been crap more than good over the course of his United career, you haven’t even addressed that statement.

The say insult the post, not the poster, so jog on with your cretinous ramblings.
You started with the "Jog on lad".

"Relegated teams have POTS awards". Yes they do, and that would mean the particular player who received the award played well, despite the league position. Your argument here is nonsensical. I could give precisely the opposite argument, that it's amazing he managed to get player of the season in such a poor defence that conceded so many goals.

I'm not claiming he's been great his whole U nited careers but he has been good for 3 years up until this season. Previously to that I'll concede he was poor since his leg break near when he joined. Although, he hardly had a chance as Mourinho barely played him. 3 good years since Mourinho left is significant, he really hasn't been bad at all.

From seeing your posts in the Maguire thread, at least there's one thing we agree on....Maguire is awful. And if you ask me, he's a large part of Shaw's poor form this season. Get rid of Maguire and the rest of the defence if given time, will be a whole lot better. Shaw isn't the problem.

GledTheRed

Both need dropping and Ronaldo should be captain.

Maguire should be embarrassed being captain with the goat in the team.

That’s an interesting theory. I remember thinking the same about Martial whose only decent run in years was in empty stadiums. Shaw’s form was much longer lasting though. I’m sure it must have included a lot of matches in stadiums.
It's the other way around, if anything.

Martial's best season for us was 2019/20, with 23/32 appearances coming with crowds. And his worst by a mile was 20/21, entirely in empty stadiums.

Shaw was one of our best players last season with no crowds, and his otherwise usual topsy-turvy self in 2019/20.

KingCavani

I think he’s very similar to Pogba and Martial in terms of consistency. I can see why Jose hated them all.

He doesn’t get that same criticism thrown at him though. I wonder if he’d get as much leeway if he was a black French player. I think it’s probably because fans don’t look at his transfer fee in the same way. Maguire got absolutely destroyed by our fans after the Liverpool game and Shaw was even worse.

OL29

It's the other way around, if anything.

Martial's best season for us was 2019/20, with 23/32 appearances coming with crowds. And his worst by a mile was 20/21, entirely in empty stadiums.

Shaw was one of our best players last season with no crowds, and his otherwise usual topsy-turvy self in 2019/20.
Yeah that Martial shout was a bit strange, he played well that season before and after crowdless matches.

OL29

I think he’s very similar to Pogba and Martial in terms of consistency. I can see why Jose hated them all.

He doesn’t get that same criticism thrown at him though. I wonder if he’d get as much leeway if he was a black French player. I think it’s probably because fans don’t look at his transfer fee in the same way. Maguire got absolutely destroyed by our fans after the Liverpool game and Shaw was even worse.
He definitely wouldn’t, unfortunately.

AFC NimbleThumb

You started with the "Jog on lad".

"Relegated teams have POTS awards". Yes they do, and that would mean the particular player who received the award played well, despite the league position. Your argument here is nonsensical. I could give precisely the opposite argument, that it's amazing he managed to get player of the season in such a poor defence that conceded so many goals.

I'm not claiming he's been great his whole U nited careers but he has been good for 3 years up until this season. Previously to that I'll concede he was poor since his leg break near when he joined. Although, he hardly had a chance as Mourinho barely played him. 3 good years since Mourinho left is significant, he really hasn't been bad at all.

From seeing your posts in the Maguire thread, at least there's one thing we agree on....Maguire is awful. And if you ask me, he's a large part of Shaw's poor form this season. Get rid of Maguire and the rest of the defence if given time, will be a whole lot better. Shaw isn't the problem.
Hold on, we’re going round in circles here. You highlighted the PoTS as a reason he was good, I refuted this by looking at the stats & season as a whole, now it’s nonsensical because of you can give the opposite argument which is infact your initial point. . .

Let’s agree Maguire is a donkey & move on.

AFC NimbleThumb

Put it this way. How many times has Pogba’s transfer fee been used as another tool to batter him with whereas our £80mil captain is often excused as ‘he doesn’t set the fee’. You’ve opened a can of worms with that sentence but you’re onto something.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
As much as it sounds like a convenient excuse, I'm not convinced Maguire and Shaw are fully fit. They both played with injuries throughout the Euros, we saw Maguire get rushed back against Leicester, and we know Ole doesn't have significant regard for player fitness.

An extended spell on the sidelines to allow both to recover physically and regain their focus is desperately needed.

DeGea

They were in St Andrews for pre season. My friend’s son waited tables at the restaurant at the Old Course. Shaw kept asking for more chips..he snacks quite a bit.

Revaulx

Bollox. He was superb for all but a handful of games last season. The short memories on here never cease to amaze.
Not just with regard to Shaw, sadly. Any player having a poor run of form will attract the attention of the Always Said He Was Crap brigade. It’s the only thing I really dislike about the Caf.

That said, there’s nothing wrong with pointing out that he has a history of inconsistency in the 7+ years he’s been here. The leg break and Jose clearly didn’t help, but both are long in the past now.

I think the issue is that he’s simply a high maintenance player who needs administration of both arm-round-shoulder AND kick-up-the-arse on a regular basis. It’s all very well saying he’s a highly paid international footballer and should be able to sort himself out, but it looks like he can’t and will never be able to. LvG and early Ole seemed to understand this; Ole’s initially good man management seems to have deserted him recently, alas.

That leaves the question: is Shaw worth the effort? I think he is, but can understand why others might feel otherwise.

Glorio

this is what i think. Physical and psychological fatigue is taking its toll
Yep ... I know it sounds like I'm reaching for excuses, but Shaw hasn't played football for this long, and this consistently for a long time.

Holidays are there for a reason and I don't know why our club glorifies players who give up their holidays to return early. Hopefully the injury now gives him an enforced rest. He honestly looks out of it.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc

You don’t have to see Shaw shirtless (perish the thought) to see his big fat belly - his shirt drapes over it - it’s too pronounced to easily hide.
He’s a fat lad, fact, but there’s no denying that he’s fast for a fat lad and, while carrying a belly will undoubtedly have some small effect on general performance, it’s not anywhere near as much as people guess at.
There was a time when a lot of rugby forwards carried extra weight like that because of the weight advantage in the pack - they tend to carry extra muscle nowadays but body fat or body muscle all need carrying by the legs and, like they do, he does that just fine.

He was undoubtedly good last season, sometimes very good, and I’m sure that he’ll get back to that once you have a team that has better balance - the whole shebang’s out of kilter right now due to (IMO) you trying to compensate for an old Ronaldo having his swan song up front. But he’ll be gone by the end of the season and you’ll replace him with a grafter and kick on again.

Davie Moyes

As much as it sounds like a convenient excuse, I'm not convinced Maguire and Shaw are fully fit. They both played with injuries throughout the Euros, we saw Maguire get rushed back against Leicester, and we know Ole doesn't have significant regard for player fitness.

An extended spell on the sidelines to allow both to recover physically and regain their focus is desperately needed.
I'm with you on this. When they are fully fit and on form our left side including the attack is much better than the right

RedRover

Luke Shaw looks much better playing for England, as does Harry Maguire. That's what playing in a proper system does for a player.

The problem is with the system (specifically the lack of any cohesive system) and the coaching. You don't need world class players 1 to 11 to be a good side. Most (although not all) of these players would look better playing for City, Liverpool or Chelsea. Look at Chelsea's defence - a number of decent, but few stand out players yet as a unit they're top class because they all know what they're supposed to do and can execute the plan.

Under a proper manager some of these players would be found probably wanting, but until you have someone in who's coaching them properly and an identity in place, you can't know.

JB7

Luke Shaw looks much better playing for England, as does Harry Maguire. That's what playing in a proper system does for a player.

The problem is with the system (specifically the lack of any cohesive system) and the coaching. You don't need world class players 1 to 11 to be a good side. Most (although not all) of these players would look better playing for City, Liverpool or Chelsea. Look at Chelsea's defence - a number of decent, but few stand out players yet as a unit they're top class because they all know what they're supposed to do and can execute the plan.

Under a proper manager some of these players would be found probably wanting, but until you have someone in who's coaching them properly and an identity in place, you can't know.
Funny isn't it, everyone you have mentioned there have offensive goalkeepers behind their defence. Almost as if it makes a massive difference to a team.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You don’t have to see Shaw shirtless (perish the thought) to see his big fat belly - his shirt drapes over it - it’s too pronounced to easily hide.
He’s a fat lad, fact, but there’s no denying that he’s fast for a fat lad and, while carrying a belly will undoubtedly have some small effect on general performance, it’s not anywhere near as much as people guess at.
There was a time when a lot of rugby forwards carried extra weight like that because of the weight advantage in the pack - they tend to carry extra muscle nowadays but body fat or body muscle all need carrying by the legs and, like they do, he does that just fine.

He was undoubtedly good last season, sometimes very good, and I’m sure that he’ll get back to that once you have a team that has better balance - the whole shebang’s out of kilter right now due to (IMO) you trying to compensate for an old Ronaldo having his swan song up front. But he’ll be gone by the end of the season and you’ll replace him with a grafter and kick on again.
Bullocks. Last season we had Martial up top for the majority of it and we were nowhere as shit right now. Martial is more of a statue than Ronnie and his hold up play was very rarely useful.

It's like people only look see:

Results worse + Ronaldo added = Ronaldo culprit.

It's shit analysis, because it presumes all the other players are playing the same and the tactics are unchanged. Meanwhile it's clear as day we have underperformers, Ole revealed himself to be incompetent by changing to more attacking football first, and then went full cowardice trying to save his job.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
Taking a thread off topic
Bullocks. Last season we had Martial up top for the majority of it and we were nowhere as shit right now. Martial is more of a statue than Ronnie and his hold up play was very rarely useful.

It's like people only look see:

Results worse + Ronaldo added = Ronaldo culprit.

It's shit analysis, because it presumes all the other players are playing the same and the tactics are unchanged. Meanwhile it's clear as day we have underperformers, Ole revealed himself to be incompetent by changing to more attacking football first, and then went full cowardice trying to save his job.
You disagree with me, and that’s fine because all we have to offer in here is options and we’re allowed to differ (maybe less of the ‘bullocks’ though as there’s no need to bring a young male cow into the conversation :lol:).

IMO Ronaldo makes Martial look like a grafter by comparison and last season you didn’t have your whole emphasis on gifting the ball to Martial’s feet in an advanced position - but that’s how you’ve had to set up, putting the whole team out of kilter, to provide gilt edged opportunities to your celebrity retiree in an attempt to keep the old boys stats up.

Your recent penchant for employing highly skilled once great players, but now past their best, is turning you into the football equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters.
If you can’t see that then you should take the tints off and look again.

And please don’t be so precious as I’m not knocking the players - I’m happy to see CR7 squeeze one final swan song out of himself whilin the PL. I’m happy because I get to see a once great player display his amazing skills now and then for someone else’s team but I wouldn’t want him in my team due to the very obvious downsides.

Anyhow, this forum isn’t about him and I’m glad that you’re chuffed to have him.
The fact is that he was only bought by the Glazers to bump the share price so that they could milk the temporary benefit - there was no footballing logic behind it - Juve desperately wanted rid for the reasons you see before you but hey ho if you’re happy with that then enjoy!

PS. Heifers !