Mail: Wayne Rooney says 'Manchester United have to be a top-one team, not top-three' following Ronaldo interview

macheda14

Shouldn't he be more worried about Derby?
He was asked a question in a press conference. He’s actually doing a fantastic job at Derby this season. Hit with an almost insurmountable challenge, but if they manage to continue their form from the first half of the season they might miraculously stay up. Although they just got hit by another transfer embargo until they get a buyer and Jagielka’s contract cannot be renewed until then also.

Josh 76

Love Wazza but it’s extremely easy saying this from the outside. Where was this when our decline had started and he was stinking up the place while wearing the armband?
This

Dolf

Here is what I do not get.

After the Glazers' takeover, most of the fans were united in the opinion that this would be terrible for the club in the long run. Years have passed, United have inevitably slowly declined, replaced Ronaldo with Valencia, won the last league title with a team full of soon-to-be-past-its and a few youngsters who never lived up to the potential...

The decline has been slow and steady but completely what was to be expected when the Glazers took over.

Yet people seriously think that United can somehow have the same standards as they would have if these people were not in charge. My question is how. How exactly?

Even Liverpool, with the genius Klopp at the helm, have won only two major trophies and this is likely to be his final tally at the helm once he leaves.

How do people expect United to be able to compete with other large clubs whose owners either help them financially or do not take money from the club is beyond me.
Stop speaking the truth man! People on here don't like that.

KeanoMagicHat

I don't think comments like these are helpful. The players and team aren't anywhere near good enough to win the league and then just reminding and reminding the players that they have to win everything. It reminds me of the England team being told "a nation is waiting" and "60 years of hurt" and all that crap. It just throws on another burden on the players that they don't need.

Let's just be realistic and actually put together 2-3 good games in a row first before shouting about winning the league. We're getting like Liverpool were, sadly.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Rooney definitely has his eye on the United role at some point. Fortunately I think Ole has killed the ex-player route. Rooney would have to show himself to be an excellent manager, winning trophies in the top flight to even be considered.
And for that Ill forever thank Ole.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Many people will blame him for trying to leave, but by doing what he did he held the club and ferguson to account to maintain a high standard.
Not really, he signed a contract after he was offered to be highest paid player in the PL.

clarkydaz

Rooney won and everyone likes to win but no way he has a winning mentality.

A friend of mine used to deliver donner kebabs to his house mid week.

Ronaldo has a winning mentality
Rooney supposedly arrived for training pissed up whilst club captain

DavelinaJolie

He was asked a question in a press conference. He’s actually doing a fantastic job at Derby this season. Hit with an almost insurmountable challenge, but if they manage to continue their form from the first half of the season they might miraculously stay up. Although they just got hit by another transfer embargo until they get a buyer and Jagielka’s contract cannot be renewed until then also.
I'm not having a go at Rooney, I'm actually sympathetic because it must be fecking annoying trying to do a job and people just asking you about a club you used to play for.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Seem a top mentality is really about a top diet to some ;)

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Wayne deserves a statue outside Derby stadium if he keeps them up. His team is playing at a mid-table form so far in the season which is quite remarkable given the working conditions he's been given.

Its also to his credit that he chose to stick with the team at a time when it would have been incredibly comfortable to just walk away from a colossal mess the owners have left him with.

mancsarered

Yes, tell us Wayne, what kind of mentality should a real professional like yourself have?

macheda14

Wayne deserves a statue outside Derby stadium if he keeps them up. His team is playing at a mid-table form so far in the season which is quite remarkable given the working conditions he's been given.

Its also to his credit that he chose to stick with the team at a time when it would have been incredibly comfortable to just walk away from a colossal mess the owners have left him with.
It's looking like they are about to lose Jagielka to Stoke. Blocked from renewing his contract until they get bought out, and Stoke are looking to swoop in in the meantime.

I think it was great for him to stay regardless. Will learn more during this job than many other jobs. Derby fans keep saying the determination and spirit of the team look amazing, to get them to play together when the majority of them are out of contract by the end of the season is remarkable.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Many people will blame him for trying to leave, but by doing what he did he held the club and ferguson to account to maintain a high standard.
to be fair and I disliked him at the time for it. He was the first to call that the club was starting to cut corners and crumble under the glazers. He could see the standards dropping around him fast. His last few years were poor but he’s a legend. 100%.

lex talionis

Treatises can be written in response to these comments but it’s safe to say that Ronnie and Wayne, both United legends, are saying essentially the same thing: that United must achieve at a much higher level than they have over the last 8 years.

Giggsy13

Then man who by birth certificate is younger than Ronaldo. If he wasn’t such a thick scouse wanker who loved to drink then maybe he could play well into his 30s like Ronaldo.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Then man who by birth certificate is younger than Ronaldo. If he wasn’t such a thick scouse wanker who loved to drink then maybe he could play well into his 30s like Ronaldo.
He was bossing it between 16-18 though. How many other players are.

He was always battling his body type in a way others aren't too.

frutti di mare

Both are right. Ronaldo in the short term, Rooney in the long term. Since Ole left, I feel that any manager that comes will instantly start getting any achievements bellittled by ex players. If we miraculously finish 2-4th this season instead of praising the achievement pundits and ex players will start talking about “United need to be winning the thing “ if whoever the manager is next season is finishes 2-3 they’ll say the same thing..

Yet that energy wasn’t there for the past 3 years, or in Rooneys case while he was still at the club picking up £250k a week and being pretty awful under Moyes, LVG, and Jose for half a season.

Part of the negativity and rot comes from our own ex players, not really Rooney tbf but mostly those in punditry.

micmac

What you on about? Rooney was playing at a high level since he was 16 and did it for a very long time.

izec

If he keeps Derby up, he should get it.
Too early. Let him have a couple of more years in the PL and see what he can do with a better club/players. He needs to develop as a manager in all aspects. He wont run away. We will always be his first choice if we come knocking.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Love Wazza but it’s extremely easy saying this from the outside. Where was this when our decline had started and he was stinking up the place while wearing the armband?
:lol:

His performance against Watford still haunts me.

Moriarty

Too early. Let him have a couple of more years in the PL and see what he can do with a better club/players. He needs to develop as a manager in all aspects. He wont run away. We will always be his first choice if we come knocking.
I was joking. If he keeps Derby up, it will be a miracle. I agree with the rest of your post thought. Rooney is one to watch.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!

After the Glazers' takeover, most of the fans were united in the opinion that this would be terrible for the club in the long run. Years have passed, United have inevitably slowly declined, replaced Ronaldo with Valencia, won the last league title with a team full of soon-to-be-past-its and a few youngsters who never lived up to the potential...

The decline has been slow and steady but completely what was to be expected when the Glazers took over.

Yet people seriously think that United can somehow have the same standards as they would have if these people were not in charge. My question is how. How exactly?

Even Liverpool, with the genius Klopp at the helm, have won only two major trophies and this is likely to be his final tally at the helm once he leaves.

How do people expect United to be able to compete with other large clubs whose owners either help them financially or do not take money from the club is beyond me.
The Glazers are cnuts, but let’s be honest, a lack of spending hasn’t been our issue in the last 10 years, the issue has been how that money has been spent.

The problem is a combination of Woodward getting too involved in decisions around the playing staff and the merry-go-round of managers with different styles and different ideas of what is needed.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Yes if only Ronaldo had a clearer vision of excellence he could have been more successful.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Ole said that as well when in another job, his standards changed very quickly when in the hot seat. Very easy to say from the outside, Ronaldo is part of the shite show and would look a bit silly saying the same thing when we’re probably going to finish 5/6th.

People just don’t want to accept the reality because its absolutely as you described it. When the board decided that top 4 was good enough it lowered standards. Now the rot has set in so it’s going to be very hard to turn things around.

The only way we could possibly win is as you say, if we get lucky with hiring an amazing manager like Liverpool did with Klopp. Ten Haag could be that man with the amazing job he is doing at Ajax. Will our board have enough ability to be able to get him though?

Lee565

Completely bored by these empty comments and the nostalgic fans easily eating it up.

This is the same rooney that wanted to jump ship to both city and Chelsea and also Ronaldo has been using man united for years and years to get new and improved contract extension with his beloved real madrid, so let's not act like either of them bleed united and it's these united fans that get easily pleased by anything nostalgic related to the united of the past that have allowed the glazers to drop the standards.

This is not the players faults, this is down the glazers caring more about the marketability of the club and won't employ any top class demanding manager that will show them up

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He should have come out and said this stuff when he was fat over the hill Rooney and we we're finishing 7th and 5th.