Mail: Wayne Rooney says 'Manchester United have to be a top-one team, not top-three' following Ronaldo interview

sirAlexsglasses

They made the exact same point, but that headline will make idiots believe they're two different things.
Exactly this, CR7 knows we should be aiming for 1st place and is being realistic. Rooney is not directly in the limelight at United now and can get away with saying that.

Teja

Love Wazza but it’s extremely easy saying this from the outside. Where was this when our decline had started and he was stinking up the place while wearing the armband?
+1

Just more Man Utd DNA blah. Had enough of that over two years. I know he's angling for that United job, but we need to keep him as far away from here as possible.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Ronaldo also said the team should aspire to win every season, it doesn't seem likely but that should be the objective. The team will fall short and might end up in 2nd or 3rd place.

The problem is when you start making top 4 an objective and get complacent with that. So I think both Rooney and Ronaldo are basically saying the same thing although Ronaldo was being more specific with the context of the current season and current standings.

flappyjay

Love Wazza but it’s extremely easy saying this from the outside. Where was this when our decline had started and he was stinking up the place while wearing the armband?
Yeah it's rich as he was stinking up the place when we're were finishing 7nth,4th,5th and 6th.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Here is what I do not get.

After the Glazers' takeover, most of the fans were united in the opinion that this would be terrible for the club in the long run. Years have passed, United have inevitably slowly declined, replaced Ronaldo with Valencia, won the last league title with a team full of soon-to-be-past-its and a few youngsters who never lived up to the potential...

The decline has been slow and steady but completely what was to be expected when the Glazers took over.

Yet people seriously think that United can somehow have the same standards as they would have if these people were not in charge. My question is how. How exactly?

Even Liverpool, with the genius Klopp at the helm, have won only two major trophies and this is likely to be his final tally at the helm once he leaves.

How do people expect United to be able to compete with other large clubs whose owners either help them financially or do not take money from the club is beyond me.
You've spent the same money as City in recent years and more than Liverpool. Spending isn't your issue. Squad recruitment management and player training and management has been your issue for a long time. I say this as someone who was jealous of many of your signings at the time.