Malo Gusto | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
He’s going to follow the money regardless of where he ends up. If you want him and offer him more than us he won’t choose us and vice versa.
That’s what I mean. Us asking him to wait is hopeful at best. Unfortunately with the position the club is in right now with the sale we are just idly standing by watching other clubs improving while we fail to back the insane work by the manager so far. Very frustrating.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Thought that was the case though. We supposedly only got shitty loan offers

Exactly, we also can't have 3 first team RBs. One has to go to give him a space in the squad.
We just couldn't shift Wan Bissaka due to the damage Joel Glazer, Matt Judge, Woodward and Baty did when it came to handing out contracts which was a strategy to protect asset value.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We just couldn't shift Wan Bissaka due to the damage Joel Glazer, Matt Judge, Woodward and Baty did when it came to handing out contracts which was a strategy to protect asset value.

Wan Bissaka isn’t on a renewed contract is he? He only joined in 2019 or something.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Wan Bissaka isn’t on a renewed contract is he? He only joined in 2019 or something.
They didn't renew his contract but gave him a 5 year contract in 2019. And according to tier 1 reports, club's approached United for Dalot but they didn't want to sign Wan Bissaka who was available for sale.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
They didn't renew his contract but gave him a 5 year contract in 2019. And according to tier 1 reports, club's approached United for Dalot but they didn't want to sign Wan Bissaka who was available for sale.
Yea I was just referencing the point that poor contract renewals are making it difficult to shift players. We can’t really help if nobody comes in for Wan Bissaka if we make him available.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yea I was just referencing the point that poor contract renewals are making it difficult to shift players. We can’t really help if nobody comes in for Wan Bissaka if we make him available.
Thats the point I was making its difficult to sell a player if there isn't any buyers. And AWB isn't obliged to take a pay cut to leave.

But since Woodward has departed, we've shown a decisiveness when it comes to selling some fringe players like Garner, who was moved on after it was reported that ten Hag wasn't impressed. And hopefully we will see us do similar with other out of favour players in the summer window.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Thats the point I was making its difficult to sell a player if there isn't any buyers. And AWB isn't obliged to take a pay cut to leave.

But since Woodward has departed, we've shown a decisiveness when it comes to selling some fringe players like Garner, who was moved on after it was reported that ten Hag wasn't impressed. And hopefully we will see us do similar with other out of favour players in the summer window.
Woodward was a clown so I’m not surprised you are doing things in a more organized and sensible way now he is gone. I don’t think there’s ever been a more incompetent CEO than him. If it wasn’t for you being United and able to secure huge sponsors he would definitely be the worst of all time.

NoPace

Even if he is fit they could both still play. James is exceptionally talented and would easily fit in to other positions. For a start he is probably also one of our best CMs and of course RCB but I really would hate for him to be in such a restrictive position. Might help his injuries though.
Yeah you could play 3-6-1 like Potter did at times at Brighton and use Mudryk and Gusto out wide and James on the right of the 3 like Joel Veltman (if he played in the Eerste Divisie), then Havertz and Mount behind Nkunku. Caicedo and Kovacic sitting in midfield I guess. Badiashile and Thiago/Koulibaly in defence.

RuudTom83

Chelsea fans cannot have anything to complain about! and if they do its 100% invalid!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t think they asked for non strategical buying tbf.
You can call our spending many things but "non strategical" seems like a stretch. It's pretty clear we're implementing a long-term strategy given the players we're targeting and the contract we're signing them to.

Mainoldo

You can call our spending many things but "non strategical" seems like a stretch. It's pretty clear we're implementing a long-term strategy given the players we're targeting and the contract we're signing them to.
What’s the strategy?

This will be a good read..

mav_9me

What’s the strategy?

Buy a new team.

Right now in the 2 transfer windows they've gotten in a complete new back 5, left winger, right winger and striker (x2). They just need 2 more midfielders (enzo and Caicedo)

Genius strategy if you ask me. Exceptional.

mav_9me

1 LB for 50m followed by another for 60m, past it Koulibaily/Auba...not sure how long term strategy this is.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
What’s the strategy?

It's to overhaul the team with young players who have yet to sign lucrative contracts but who have managed to establish themselves as regular first team players who therefore are willing to accept a lower base wage in exchange for lifelong financial security.

The attackers we are signing also fit a defined profile that seems to be stolen from basketball - we are bringing in players who can create shots for themselves. In the NBA (and especially in high-leverage end of game situations), this is the most valuable commodity by far and it seems we are attempting a similar approach in football.

There's a pretty clear use of data to identify targets - for instance, Chelsea have been poor on set pieces all year so we prioritised Badiashile who is already an elite CB aerially and also fits perfectly into the age range we are looking for. And finally and most obviously, the use of long-term deals to mitigate the impact of FFP, take advantage of the relaxed rules post-COVID, protect the club against likely missing the CL next season, and ultimately give leverage to ownership going forward is extremely smart strategically and suggests there is a long-term plan in place.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
1 LB for 50m followed by another for 60m, past it Koulibaily/Auba...not sure how long term strategy this is.
Considering how often Chilwell and James get injured and how dependent we are on them for attacking, we clearly need good backups (not that Cucurella has been good at all; far from it)!

Koulibaly and Aubameyang were both signed out of desperation to make up the numbers given who we had to shift over the summer. Not trying to argue that they haven't been catastrophically bad by any means, but there's a clear delineation in my opinion between stopgap options signed when everything was chaotic and the targets we now have this window who all fit a specific archetype.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
The attackers we are signing also fit a defined profile that seems to be stolen from basketball - we are bringing in players who can create shots for themselves. In the NBA (and especially in high-leverage end of game situations), this is the most valuable commodity by far and it seems we are attempting a similar approach in football.
:lol:

That genuinely sounds like an abysmal tactic.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
:lol:

That genuinely sounds like an abysmal tactic.
Why? Shot creation is if anything even more important in football given the rarity of scoring opportunities. Having attackers who can create for themselves and others but are not reliant on being set up for scoring is hugely valuable.

mav_9me

Considering how often Chilwell and James get injured and how dependent we are on them for attacking, we clearly need good backups (not that Cucurella has been good at all; far from it)!

Koulibaly and Aubameyang were both signed out of desperation to make up the numbers given who we had to shift over the summer. Not trying to argue that they haven't been catastrophically bad by any means, but there's a clear delineation in my opinion between stopgap options signed when everything was chaotic and the targets we now have this window who all fit a specific archetype.
Agreed on that part. All young, for the future.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
45? Not sure makes much of a difference?
The discussion is about the strategy implemented by Boehly and co. Chilwell signed in 2020. The only impact he has had on the strategy is his inability to stay fit.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The discussion is about the strategy implemented by Boehly and co. Chilwell signed in 2020. The only impact he has had on the strategy is his inability to stay fit.
I'm waiting for someone to mention about how amazingly run we were when breaking transfer records for Lukaku and Torres.

You can pretty much start playing bingo when this topic comes up these days.

danigl

We all ”laugh” at Chelsea and their ridiculous spending, but seems to me they’re taking advantage of a situation that is going to change (loopholes?) let’s see how it pans out. It can work out, or they can become another AC Milan a few years back

Mainoldo

Buy a new team.

Right now in the 2 transfer windows they've gotten in a complete new back 5, left winger, right winger and striker (x2). They just need 2 more midfielders (enzo and Caicedo)

Nice work. I remember when Milan got a big cheque and tried the samething.

They only just figured it out. Well for one season at least.

Mainoldo

It's to overhaul the team with young players who have yet to sign lucrative contracts but who have managed to establish themselves as regular first team players who therefore are willing to accept a lower base wage in exchange for lifelong financial security.

There's a pretty clear use of data to identify targets - for instance, Chelsea have been poor on set pieces all year so we prioritised Badiashile who is already an elite CB aerially and also fits perfectly into the age range we are looking for. And finally and most obviously, the use of long-term deals to mitigate the impact of FFP, take advantage of the relaxed rules post-COVID, protect the club against likely missing the CL next season, and ultimately give leverage to ownership going forward is extremely smart strategically and suggests there is a long-term plan in place.
Ladies and gentlemen Todd Boehly has a burner Redcafe account.

If I was you I’d buy Harry Maguire. £60m should do it. Great at set pieces.

Coops73

Buy a new team.

Probably trying to snap up players before Newcastle really start splashing the cash and before ourselves and Liverpool get bought by wealthy individuals/states, seems to me like they’re shitting their pants, plus Boely has promised to invest 1.75 billion or there abouts, some of which has to go on infrastructure, I could be wrong but it wouldn’t surprise me if this “spree” comes to an end in a window or 2.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White

It's pretty obvious what the startegy is. Todd has basically gone to someone who "knows" football, and asked the question, if you could build a first 11 of the best in the world in 2 years and the long term, what would that look like?
It's a pretty easy project to sell to players, plus..... the money of course.
What make it appear tasteless is, all the names they are going for are the most obvious names and bulking buying rather than the more sensible staggered approach.
I fully expect that they'll start trying to offload most of their existing team if they can.
Question is, will this cocktail be tasty or a right mess?
I am inclined to think mess, simply because there are too many unknowns.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Not sure why you feel the need to be rude and cast aspersions when I've engaged with you in good faith?
He strikes me as one of those people who moulds his opinion around what the general party lines are, hence not being able to offer a constructive response to the facts you brought to the table.

mav_9me

I brought the Chilwell signing in because you had a first choice LB bought for 45m and then went on to spend 60m on a back up LB.

That's the point I am making.

Status
Not open for further replies.