Malo Gusto | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Personally, I think Dalot is good right back and of course needs a competition like our left side Shaw and Malacia. But we shouldn't be spending 30m-40m IMO on this. I'm sure we can find someone like Malacia transfer for the right back. There has to be one out there.

croadyman

Personally, I think Dalot is good right back and of course needs a competition like our left side Shaw and Malacia. But we shouldn't be spending 30m-40m IMO on this. I'm sure we can find someone like Malacia transfer for the right back. There has to be one out there.
Yeah top priorities in the summer and majority of budget (whatever new owners allow) should be spent on top CM & ST

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
30 to 40 million is not a big amount in this day and age. We certainly need a new right back and while it’s nice to find cheap deals I doubt we can cap it at 15 million or so otherwise we risk adding mediocrity like Telles all over again. I hope we add real quality in this position as it’ll really boost the thread and possession retention from our right flank.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
30 to 40 million is not a big amount in this day and age. We certainly need a new right back and while it’s nice to find cheap deals I doubt we can cap it at 15 million or so otherwise we risk adding mediocrity like Telles all over again. I hope we add real quality in this position as it’ll really boost the thread and possession retention from our right flank.
It's not big amount if we sign someone for starting XI. But I think Dalot is good enough for our starting XI and what we are looking for should be no more than 20m or max I will go 20m plus 5m performance bonus for young right back version of Malacia (he costed us 13m-15m) that is good enough to be backup and still can provide competition if the starting XI full backs aren't performing. Surely, there is Malacia's version of right back out there. These amount of difference can help us to spend elsewhere to sign new midfielders (ideally two), new striker and potentially new keeper.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's not big amount if we sign someone for starting XI. But I think Dalot is good enough for our starting XI and what we are looking for should be no more than 20m or max I will go 20m plus 5m performance bonus for young right back version of Malacia (he costed us 13m-15m) that is good enough to be backup and still can provide competition if the starting XI full backs aren't performing. Surely, there is Malacia's version of right back out there. These amount of difference can help us to spend elsewhere to sign new midfielders (ideally two), new striker and potentially new keeper.
Fair enough but it depends on the quality for me. If we’re getting a potentially top class RB then I’d pay a bigger fee. Dalot is good but I don’t he’s at that level. Of course the amount you’re willing to pay then reduces based on the available options. But I do think a proper attacking RB who is at ease driving forwards would give the team a lift as would a playmaking 8. In the buildup phases aside from maybe passing keeper these are the two obvious gaps.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Dalot is currently playing more like an inverted right back where he is tucking inside. It's a role that I think ten Hag would like his right back to be good passer of the ball and can make progressive passing and progressive ball. Gusto is definitely looks like a full back that ten Hag would want based on his passing stats. But I think someone like Max Aarons (still 23 years old) who's contract will be expired in 2024 with PL experiences should be available cheaper and may be can play in ten Hag's inverted right back role. You can tell that Aarons's strength is actually his passing ability and his progressive passing and progressing ball. On contrary, Bissaka is just not good enough with his passing.

Mainoldo

Not sure why you feel the need to be rude and cast aspersions when I've engaged with you in good faith?
Sorry bro. I did make it clear from the jump that the strategy sucks. I was expecting more intel than what you provided. It still comes across as thoughtless.

But it’s an internet forum don’t take it to heart.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Sorry bro. I did make it clear from the jump that the strategy sucks. I was expecting more intel than what you provided. It still comes across as thoughtless.

But it’s an internet forum don’t take it to heart.
Hey fair enough. We can agree to disagree - have a good one mate!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
That is in the ballpark of how much Malo Gusto will cost. Initial bid was around £15m. Second bid incoming is said to be around £23-27m.

Shinjch

Seems a strange one for him. Unless he is going to be guaranteed a loan next season, maybe.

But everyone knows that if James is fit then he has Gusto's position locked in for the next ten years or so. We know James has struggles with fitness, but would have thought a reliable stand-in would be the way forward for his back up, rather than a kid who will need a lot of game time to progress. Gusto does look a good prospect though from the little I have seen of him.

Anyway, Chelsea have spent a lot of money this window in order to not fix a couple of the main issues with their team.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Seems a strange one for him. Unless he is going to be guaranteed a loan next season, maybe.

But everyone knows that if James is fit then he has Gusto's position locked in for the next ten years or so. We know James has struggles with fitness, but would have thought a reliable stand-in would be the way forward for his back up, rather than a kid who will need a lot of game time to progress. Gusto does look a good prospect though from the little I have seen of him.

Anyway, Chelsea have spent a lot of money this window in order to not fix a couple of the main issues with their team.
James can play RCB, RB, RWB, DM, CM, RM
They could theoretically play in the same team.

Shinjch

James can play RCB, RB, RWB, DM, CM, RM
They could theoretically play in the same team.
He may well be able to, but everyone knows where he is best. And when he is fit he will be playing that position, I think that is a safe assumption?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
And you ruined it, now they are asking 35m
Euros, not sterling pounds. It's still a negotiation. He only has 18 months left on his deal so I don't think Lyon are in a particularly great negotiating position.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
We could get KWP for less when saints get relegated
I doubt that, as Arsenal found out dealing with Sheffield United over Ramsdale the parachute payments and TV money mean relegated clubs can still demand largely what they would have done anyway.

There's no consequence for relegation anymore bar playing some lower teams for a year or two, as shown by two very recent teams running away in the promotion places.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Euros, not sterling pounds. It's still a negotiation. He only has 18 months left on his deal so I don't think Lyon are in a particularly great negotiating position.
40m euro is still 35m pounds though.

ROFLUTION

probably cant spend 30-40m on rb and also get a new big signing like Kane, DeJong or Osimhen though

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
40m euro is still 35m pounds though.
I honestly doubt it'll be 40m euro though. More likely, from what I've read, to be around 30-35m euro, so £25-30m. Either way, it's still not cheap for what is essentially RB cover. It's a steep price but I guess we have been pushed to this by James' inability to stay fit for a whole season, usually missing months at a time and we have seen now that the drop off in quality from James to Azpi is too great a blow to our season for us not to address that issue through the transfer market. I think Gusto is potentially a £50m player available for half that price.

Shinjch

Is Azpilicueta gone at the end of this season? I would imagine that Gusto will be on significantly less money than Azpilicueta at least. Unless it is one of those very long contracts.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Is Azpilicueta gone at the end of this season? I would imagine that Gusto will be on significantly less money than Azpilicueta at least. Unless it is one of those very long contracts.
Azpi is on £180K a week or something along those lines. He will still have one year left on his contract in the summer but I'm guessing the club will agree to give him a free transfer at the end of the current season and he'll go. He's still a somewhat solid defender at the back but doesn't offer anything going forward these days, and even in his prime the attacking part of the game was never one of his strengths. Wonderful servant to the club for more than a decade but it's time to move on.

Rumor has it we've agreed personal terms with Gusto on a 6,5 year deal and he'd definitely be on way less money than Azpi going by the fact our latest permanent first team signings (Mudryk, Badiashile) are on under £100K/wk.

Haven't seen any reports on how much the other new lad Madueke is getting but less than Mudryk would be my best guess given how sought after and expensive Mudryk was. Whatever he's earning I'd assume Gusto would get around the same as Madueke seeing as they're of similar age, with similar experience and similar transfer values. Most reports put Madueke at €15K/wk at PSV and Gusto currently at €8K/wk at Lyon so maybe somewhere around £50-70K/wk wages for them?

Annual cost with Azpi is £9M in salary and for Gusto with amortisation + wages the total cost would be around the same or less than that. At most it would be a £35M fee and £70K/wk which on a 6,5 year deal would amount to £9M overall yearly cost so same as Azpi. If we get Gusto the final transfer fee and salary could both end up being less than those figures but I very much doubt either would be more. Replacing Azpi with Gusto would be a shrewd move by the club IMO.

mav_9me

Azpi is on £180K a week or something along those lines. He will still have one year left on his contract in the summer but I'm guessing the club will agree to give him a free transfer at the end of the current season and he'll go. He's still a somewhat solid defender at the back but doesn't offer anything going forward these days, and even in his prime the attacking part of the game was never one of his strengths. Wonderful servant to the club for more than a decade but it's time to move on.

Rumor has it we've agreed personal terms with Gusto on a 6,5 year deal and he'd definitely be on way less money than Azpi going by the fact our latest permanent first team signings (Mudryk, Badiashile) are on under £100K/wk.

Haven't seen any reports on how much the other new lad Madueke is getting but less than Mudryk would be my best guess given how sought after and expensive Mudryk was. Whatever he's earning I'd assume Gusto would get around the same as Madueke seeing as they're of similar age, with similar experience and similar transfer values. Most reports put Madueke at €15K/wk at PSV and Gusto currently at €8K/wk at Lyon so maybe somewhere around £50-70K/wk wages for them?

Annual cost with Azpi is £9M in salary and for Gusto with amortisation + wages the total cost would be around the same or less than that. At most it would be a £35M fee and £70K/wk which on a 6,5 year deal would amount to £9M overall yearly cost so same as Azpi. If we get Gusto the final transfer fee and salary could both end up being less than those figures but I very much doubt either would be more. Replacing Azpi with Gusto would be a shrewd move by the club IMO.
Why will he go though, leaving 9.3m on the table?

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Why will he go though, leaving 9.3m on the table?
He would only be leaving 9.3M on the table if there were no other takers for him though. Just last summer Barcelona were all over trying to sign him and chances are he'd still be able to attract a pretty decent level club to sign him on a good salary if he was available on a free transfer, whether it was still to Barca or somewhere else.

Zero reason to believe Azpi would do a 'Winston Bogarde' on us and fight tooth and nail to stay the remainder of his deal. Azpi is a model professional who's always been treated extremely well by the club and adored by the fans so I very much doubt he'd want to go on bad terms when the time comes. Absolute worst case scenario from the club's perspective they pay Azpi off with a few mill to compensate for the salary difference if he has to drop down to a club who can't afford to pay him enough. If it came down to that I'd be more than okay with it and that would serve as a decent enough bonus to say thanks for the service.

Or we could just keep Azpi another year as a dressing room leader and mentor to the youngsters if there's willingness from all parties to do that but if he wants to play as much as possible he'd be right to look for a move.

footballbite

Aarons (still 23 years old) who's contract will be expired in 2024 with PL experiences should be available cheaper and may be can play in ten Hag's inverted right back role. You can tell that Aarons's strength is actually his passing ability and his progressive passing and progressing ball. On contrary, Bissaka is just not good enough with his passing.
Aarons is 100% not good enough to even be back-up for Utd.

He literally can not defend, Terrible. He's practically a Donny van de Beek ghost when it comes to stopping attacks down his side.

I agree.

Gusto seems like one of, if not the best right-back prospect around.

But if James can stay fit he'll basically have that spot nailed down for the next 5 seasons or more.

Malo Gusto can potentially become as good as James, which is way too good to be stuck on the bench behind James at Chelsea. He should be moving to a CL club in a bigger league but where he can get a proper chance to become first choice.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Aarons is 100% not good enough to even be back-up for Utd.

He literally can not defend, Terrible. He's practically a Donny van de Beek ghost when it comes to stopping attacks down his side.

I agree.

Gusto seems like one of, if not the best right-back prospect around.

But if James can stay fit he'll basically have that spot nailed down for the next 5 seasons or more.

Malo Gusto can potentially become as good as James, which is way too good to be stuck on the bench behind James at Chelsea. He should be moving to a CL club in a bigger league but where he can get a proper chance to become first choice.
There's a possibility James may end up in midfield (ala Kimmich) or RCB (in a back three) at some point in his career.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I think this is a pivotal purchase for Chelsea, and I’m starting to see some people catching on to what I thought they would have tried sooner if they had moved Azpi on in the Summer: the move of Reece James.

He is simply too heavy and muscular for the contortionist positions wide backs find themselves in. Did Milner not move inside from fullback for the Samar reason? But James is pure class in the ball, his range of passing is elite, he has zero issues dealing with the press and tight spaces. He could be one of the best Mids in the world as easily as he is one of the best RBs. He’s just a special player.

So you get an elite RB prospect… and hopefully you have, say, Enzo and James as your double 8’s? That would be amaaaazing.

This has been a topic that’s been brought up before over the last couple of years. And it only became more apparent when James started playing LCB in our 3 at the back and venturing into midfield in possession. He was amazing.

In that scenario, Gusto essentially slots in immediately.

footballbite

There's a possibility James may end up in midfield (ala Kimmich) or RCB (in a back three) at some point in his career.
One of, if not the most, exceptional things about James is his goalscoring ability from full-back/wing-back; you'd have to be nuts to take that away from him by shunting him to RCB; you'd basically be neutering him.

I don't see how he's any more suited to midfield either.

Shifting someone who's basically your best player when fit away from their favoured position, where they excel, is just strange and a waste.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
One of, if not the most, exceptional things about James is his goalscoring ability from full-back/wing-back; you'd have to be nuts to take that away from him by shunting him to RCB; you'd basically be neutering him.

Shifting someone who's basically your best player when fit away from their favoured position, where they excel, is just strange and a waste.
He'd have just as much license to get forward from a box to box role and honestly he has the quality to excel in the middle of the pitch.

I agree with you generally about the need to let James express himself - but if Gusto is as good as advertised then James as the high pressing box to box successor to Kante makes a lot of sense next to someone like Enzo.

Erik the Red

Chelsea have hired a really good scouting team from Brighton, but their approach seems to be to try to outbid a rival in an auction process, without even trying to understand how the players would fit in with the manager's plans. They will end up with lots of expensive players on huge wages with massive egos, and the whole thing will implode - it's been our approach for the past 10 years.

Enzo Fernandez and Malo Gusto are two players who I really rate, but why would Gusto want to go to Chelsea when he would be up against James, and one of them would get shoe-horned into a different role? There are so many clubs crying out for a decent RB, and for the sake of his career he should say no to Chelsea. I think he could do really well behind Antony, and as they build an understanding, I think that Antony could really grow into that £80m player.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

It was actually RCB (to accommodate Lamptey at wingback) where he exploded at youth level in the first place. And at Wigan he played CM and is considered their best ever player by many (I know many people will say only Wigan but he's up against players that got them to the PL, kept them there for 8 years and won them a cup, so to even be considered in that company as a loanee when they were a bottom half Championship club is telling in itself).

We may not have a choice (to put him in a less taxing position) if his injury record doesn't start improving and i don't think he'll be that wasted from that position anyway. Azpi's best attacking displays for us came ar RCB and one of Reece's most effective areas of the pitch is the half space that the former constantly used to feed Morata in that season. Also having two top right backs in the build up play will be a huge asset tactically.

Status
Not open for further replies.