Malo Gusto | signs for Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkedIntoLife

Seems incredibly cheap. Lyon must be struggling financially as they're notoriously tough with negotiations and it seems they're being fleeced here.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
If he don’t want it, we don’t want him. We want people desperate (or better word possibly is passionate) to play for the badge. If he wants Chelsea and the cash & uncertainty that comes with it. So be it. On to the next one.
If Fabrizio is correct, he wanted to play for the badge, a blue one.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
The fact that we have so many French and French speakers in our squad is probably why he chose us over whichever other English club tried to hijack.

Redo91

One season out of the CL means very little these days. As a United supporter you should know that all too well. You’ve signed some top players without it over the past few years.
Yes I get that but Chelsea would probably still be for him in the summer and he would have a better idea of where they are at then. No offence but the club is absolute basket case.

mav_9me

Makes it 8 new players since summer, only CM and GK I think they haven't bought anyone. CM obviously going to happen too

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
The fact that we have so many French and French speakers in our squad is probably why he chose us over whichever other English club tried to hijack.
C’est possible. Allez les bleus.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I wasn't that impressed with him against West Ham, if I'm honest, very young though and lots of scope to improve. I think I'd prefer Vanderson from Monaco if we were to go for one anyway, so if he does end up at Chelsea, no big deal.
I don't know alot about Vanderson but the below article from a few days ago is in agreement with you about Vanderson being the better player right now.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.c...-over-vanderson-could-be-a-glaring-oversight/

CM10

This one's annoying. He would've been great competition for Dalot - hope we can find another RB of similar quality in the summer.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yes, because it has to be one or the other, right?

Missing out on quality players because "passion" is moronic. Football is a profession. Malo Gusto wasn't going to be a volunteer for either United or Chelsea. You think the highly successful players are City were passionate about their shirt/badge?

Lisandro is my favourite United player, but the current manager is on record saying he called him and said "boss, I'm leaving Ajax this summer either way, and I'm on my way to Arsenal, but if you want me I'll come". Desperate to play for the badge right? :houllier:

This is their profession and how they make their living. All this desperate to play for the badge nonsense is tooth fairy type stuff.

Malo Gusto is not going to pass or sit around when a top club wants him, in the hopes United might move for him in the future. That's ridiculous
Not to mention fee same fans who demand total loyalty from players will happily demand the sale of any player they deem to be not good enough even if they are desperate to play for the club.

The phrase wanting it both ways isn't more applicable than it is for this topic.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
That twitter handle is run by a chap from the UK that sometimes appears on YouTube fan channels and his first name is Lee. The article comparing Gusto and Vanderson is from Luke Entwistle.
It's published on the same platform though?

But fair enough - even so Luke Entwistle appears to be a mouthpiece for AS Monaco with ~2.2k followers on twitter. There's also no actual analysis in his article and he managed to spell Vanderson's name wrong in the piece.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It's published on the same platform though?

But fair enough - even so Luke Entwistle appears to be a mouthpiece for AS Monaco with ~2.2k followers on twitter. There's also no actual analysis in his article and he managed to spell Vanderson's name wrong in the piece.
He writes for different outlets covering French football and Monaco.

And he's not the only one I've heard say that Vanderson is a better player than Gusto, who he describes as one dimensional.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

And he's not the only one I've heard say that Vanderson is a better player than Gusto, who he describes as one dimensional.
I can respect the take - but equally respectfully will wait to see it published by outlets that can spell Vanderson's name correctly.

I will certainly not pretend to be an expert on the French league so my opinion is more or less worthless but based on the exhaustive and thorough expertise I've accumulated since we were linked to Gusto last week this would seem to be an unpopular opinion? If you have other sources I genuinely would be keen to know more.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don't know alot about Vanderson but the below article from a few days ago is in agreement with you about Vanderson being the better player right now.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.c...-over-vanderson-could-be-a-glaring-oversight/
Yeah, I had a read of that, but Vanderson seems a bit more well rounded from what I've seen. Given, it's pretty limited of the two for a proper opinion.
Vanderson would also be a very nice addition. Slightly different profile to Gusto but very promising too.
For sure, I think Gusto is better going forward, but I'm not convinced he's quite ready yet. Also, I'm well up for a South American takeover of our squad.

avgp_1

Vanderson is much better at the back, looks like an FB who is very aware of his defensive responsibilities. While he is pretty good in possesion he doesn't look as explosive as Gusto does. He lacks a bit of athleticism at the moment

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I can respect the take - but equally respectfully will wait to see it published by outlets that can spell Vanderson's name correctly.

I will certainly not pretend to be an expert on the French league so my opinion is more or less worthless but based on the exhaustive and thorough expertise I've accumulated since we were linked to Gusto last week this would seem to be an unpopular opinion? If you have other sources I genuinely would be keen to know more.
I think you should forgive him for spelling his name wrong, mate.

They're both young players and there's much more development to come. So only time will tell.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Yeah, I had a read of that, but Vanderson seems a bit more well rounded from what I've seen. Given, it's pretty limited of the two for a proper opinion.

For sure, I think Gusto is better going forward, but I'm not convinced he's quite ready yet. Also, I'm well up for a South American takeover of our squad.
He’s been touted as a potential future Maicon-esque player by the odd “talent scout” here or there but I’d agree Gusto has shown his attacking prowess more than Vanderson in Ligue 1.

I do think Chelsea are getting a very good RB though.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I think you should forgive him for spelling his name wrong, mate.

They're both young players and there's much more development to come. So only time will tell.
On that we definitely agree!

And yes I'm taking the piss more than is probably warranted with the misspelling but you must admit it's not encouraging from an editorial oversight perspective. If he had any stats to back up his blanket statements like "it's clear Gusto is more one-dimensional" that would also be helpful.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
This is an excellent purchase. The loan-back doesn’t fuss me terribly.

I still see James ultimately moving inside to a midfielder role in the future, and having a quality player like this can help that.

I don’t get people saying RCB or RB. James ends up all the way to the edge of the opponents box when he plays RCB anyway.

I’m picturing an Enzo/Caicedo/Santos Paired next to James, with a Mount or a more creative CAM a little farther forward .. could be really good.

Gusto and Chilwell/Cucurella on the flanks

Carney, Hall, Kovacic (if he stays), and Cesare all midfield options competing for time in the near future.

With the loan back James will have to stay healthy the entire rest of the season at RB though ….

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

Apart from the exceptional few, no player comes out of youth football ready for the men’s league with a complete game. Providing he plays, the loan back will be beneficial in the long term.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea

I still see James ultimately moving inside to a midfielder role in the future, and having a quality player like this can help that.

I don’t get people saying RCB or RB. James ends up all the way to the edge of the opponents box when he plays RCB anyway.

I’m picturing an Enzo/Caicedo/Santos Paired next to James, with a Mount or a more creative CAM a little farther forward .. could be really good.

Carney, Hall, Kovacic (if he stays), and Cesare all midfield options competing for time in the near future.

With the loan back James will have to stay healthy the entire rest of the season at RB though ….
Really don’t get why so many of our supporters are always talking about moving Reece to a different position. He’s one of the best in the world at RB where he can bomb up and down the wing and superbly defend the oppositions left winger who is often their best player.

You move him to RCB or CM and you take away some of his best assets like his ability in 1v1 situations defensively and his excellent crosses from out wide.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Really don’t get why so many of our supporters are always talking about moving Reece to a different position. He’s one of the best in the world at RB where he can bomb up and down the wing and superbly defend the oppositions left winger who is often their best player.

You move him to RCB or CM and you take away some of his best assets like his ability in 1v1 situations defensively and his excellent crosses from out wide.
If James can't sort out his injury issues we may have no alternative but to move him to a less taxing position.

But I disagree he'll be wasted at RCB if we set up well tactically, many of Azpi's best attacking contributions were in that position (especially in the Morata honeymoon period) and the half space that he'll often find himself in there gives better crossing angles anyway.

CM10

I can't say I've watched any of Vanderson but what kind of childish take is this? :lol:

If a writer makes one typo that negates any value their work might have? On that basis you should be very concerned about an owner who wants to play 4-4-3!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I can't say I've watched any of Vanderson but what kind of childish take is this? :lol:

If a writer makes one typo that negates any value their work might have? On that basis you should be very concerned about an owner who wants to play 4-4-3!
Mate did you read the piece? It's pure uneditorialised fluff and the writer has ties to Monaco. When you're trying to big up someone and/or come across as a Serious Football Journalist it does help to spell the names of the relevant parties correctly.

It's not that the writer made a typo - it's that the piece apparently underwent no editorial checks whatsoever, was just flung out into the internet, and now is being cited as if it were an authority.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
If James can't sort out his injury issues we may have no alternative but to move him to a less taxing position.

But I disagree he'll be wasted at RCB if we set up well tactically, many of Azpi's best attacking contributions were in that position (especially in the Morata honeymoon period) and the half space that he'll often find himself in there gives better crossing angles anyway.
We just spent £72m or whatever it was on a RCB in Fofana who I’m still confident will be a massive player for us if he can get fit.

CM10

Mate did you read the piece? It's pure uneditorialised fluff and the writer has ties to Monaco. When you're trying to big up someone and/or come across as a Serious Football Journalist it does help to spell the names of the relevant parties correctly.

It's not that the writer made a typo - it's that the piece apparently underwent no editorial checks whatsoever, was just flung out into the internet, and now is being cited as if it were an authority.
It's an opinion piece, when are they ever an authority? He might or might not be a serious journalist, I don't know or particularly care, but dismissing everything written out of hand on the basis he's made one typo is entirely ridiculous.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
It's an opinion piece, when are they ever an authority? He might or might not be a serious journalist, I don't know or particularly care, but dismissing everything written out of hand on the basis he's made one typo is entirely ridiculous.
The headline literally says in all capital letters "ANALYSIS"

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea

Because he is particularly heavy and strong and a tad short on flexibility for the RB position.

He ends up stomping down with a ton of force on an awkward, contortionist tackle at full sprint and the strain on things like his ligaments is very heavy.

In short … we want him to play more often, and he’s built more like Micheal Essien than Ashley Cole.

I think Reece can be Elite, top class, at multiple positions. But the best ability is availability.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
We just spent £72m or whatever it was on a RCB in Fofana who I’m still confident will be a massive player for us if he can get fit.
James is often our outright best player at playing close triangles, moving the ball upfield with touch, covers enough pitch to play RB, is completely two footed, and all I heard for months was how he was our only offensive chance creator.

So why RCB and not RCM?

EtH

This one's annoying. He would've been great competition for Dalot - hope we can find another RB of similar quality in the summer.
Back in for Timber this summer I hope as first choice RB and cover for Varane.

GledTheRed

You've never seen him play have you?

Status
Not open for further replies.