Mame Biram Diouf | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
https://picsrv.manutd.com/?fif=/Man Utd/img_10_35327_3461.jpg&obj=iip,1.0&wid=500

Shimo

So much so that he's the only one it doesn't look like a bra on. He's far to cool for that.
berbs looked pretty cool.

I have a question to the people that have written this guy off though already as a terrible signing. Why?

From what I saw last season he came into training after the Norwegian league finished and was immediately in the frame for getting first team appearances, would have maybe played the FA Cup had it not been for league office not open to register him.

He then played in a couple games scoring in one and in another made some good runs and showed decent desire. Yeah he had some poor touches but, also good ones.

Did enough to get named in the CL squad.

The only big negative was he did have that one really awkward header and kind of messed up a break away.

He then had an injury that ruled him out for a while, not sure if that is why people think he wasn't good enough but, in my opinion had he been fit he would have played at the end of the season.

Showed that he is a good level ahead of the reserves by regularly scoring. Scored in the final thing (against Villa twice?) right after he came back from injury.

So what have people seen in his time with us to right him off? I haven't seen full reserves game live or on TV - is this where you are making judgement?

Laphroaig

berbs looked pretty cool.

I have a question to the people that have written this guy off though already as a terrible signing. Why?

From what I saw last season he came into training after the Norwegian league finished and was immediately in the frame for getting first team appearances, would have maybe played the FA Cup had it not been for league office not open to register him.

He then played in a couple games scoring in one and in another made some good runs and showed decent desire. Yeah he had some poor touches but, also good ones.

Did enough to get named in the CL squad.

The only big negative was he did have that one really awkward header and kind of messed up a break away.

He then had an injury that ruled him out for a while, not sure if that is why people think he wasn't good enough but, in my opinion had he been fit he would have played at the end of the season.

Showed that he is a good level ahead of the reserves by regularly scoring. Scored in the final thing (against Villa twice?) right after he came back from injury.

So what have people seen in his time with us to right him off? I haven't seen full reserves game live or on TV - is this where you are making judgement?
It's not about what they've seen him do poorly. It's about what they've not seen: him, playing football, and us paying lots of moneys for him to do it.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
It's not about what they've seen him do poorly. It's about what they've not seen: him, playing football, and us paying lots of moneys for him to do it.
He was with us for only 6 months of the season, why do people think there is a problem so soon?

He needed time to get used to the way we play, get up to speed with English football and you might actually say his only problem was arriving at the wrong time.

Jan is the business end of the season and mentally the players are in a different mindset than they are at the start of the season which is why Fergie usually doesn't buy at this point in the season.

Diouf arriving from the end of the season in Norway would most likely have not been in the correct frame of mind to make a more significant contribution to the business end of our season.

SAF will probably have expected that, so that 6 months at the backend of the season was probably more a learning and assessment period for him than anything else.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
He was with us for only 6 months of the season, why do people think there is a problem so soon?

He needed time to get used to the way we play, get up to speed with English football and you might actually say his only problem was arriving at the wrong time.

Jan is the business end of the season and mentally the players are in a different mindset than they are at the start of the season which is why Fergie usually doesn't buy at this point in the season.

Diouf arriving from the end of the season in Norway would most likely have not been in the correct frame of mind to make a more significant contribution to the business end of our season.

SAF will probably have expected that, so that 6 months at the backend of the season was probably more a learning and assessment period for him than anything else.
When fit, he also always looked easily too good for the reserves. But you know, he messed that header up that one time so he's a joke.

MUFCgal

With the strikers we have at the moment, I can see him being loaned out for the season. Maybe it won't do him any harm. He clearly was a level above the reserves and he did alright when in the first team, but more first team experience at another club could do wonders for him.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Has looked woeful all pre-season.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
His general plays been fine. He's just not scored. It's hard to see past the fact we've got a lot of strikers. An awful lot of strikers. I think apart from two efforts in a game, nothings been created for him. He's no different to kiko. Infact for me his general plays been better then kikos, but kikos had the chances and taken them

Diouf does link up well but we've not had the quality to get him the ball. I reckon most people have forgotten he even set up berbatovs goal against celtic. Rooney,Berbatov,Owen, Hernandez, Kiko, Welbeck, Diouf.....that's some competition.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He was good v Celtic
I think that's generous. It was his best performance and he did well winning a few balls in the air and playing it to Berbs. He has done nothing in front of goal though.

Striker10

I think that's generous. It was his best performance and he did well winning a few balls in the air and playing it to Berbs. He has done nothing in front of goal though.
How many chances has berbs missed? Not many. How many diouf? 2 maybe. We've taken a lot of the chances we're created and we've not created that much aside from the final mls game. The midfield creatively has been dire a game or two aside and the width is getting chopped and changed

I'm not sure what you expect him to do? Take yesterday, it was a patched up team with Gibson on the wing against good opponants. When your not fit it ain't easy with no service. So you drop deep but you again rely on the midfield to support you and we weren't good enough

Shimo

How many chances has berbs missed? Not many. How many diouf? 2 maybe. We've taken a lot of the chances we're created and we've not created that much aside from the final mls game. The midfield creatively has been dire a game or two aside and the width is getting chopped and changed

I'm not sure what you expect him to do?
Have not watched the game last night but, Diouf had created some really good chances. 3 other than the assist against Celtic and 1 really good one against Wizards.

He was good against Celtic and the Wizards game was eh but team was crap at creating anything for our forwards.

Harsh to say he has been crap in front of goal when not much has been created his way.

CentreForward

Berba's bitch. A Bulgarian dEvil
His general plays been fine. He's just not scored. It's hard to see past the fact we've got a lot of strikers. An awful lot of strikers. I think apart from two efforts in a game, nothings been created for him. He's no different to kiko. Infact for me his general plays been better then kikos, but kikos had the chances and taken them

Diouf does link up well but we've not had the quality to get him the ball. I reckon most people have forgotten he even set up berbatovs goal against celtic. Rooney,Berbatov,Owen, Hernandez, Kiko, Welbeck, Diouf.....that's some competition.
I hate to do it, but....
"This"

CentreForward

Berba's bitch. A Bulgarian dEvil
Have not watched the game last night but, Diouf had created some really good chances. 3 other than the assist against Celtic and 1 really good one against Wizards.

He was good against Celtic and the Wizards game was eh but team was crap at creating anything for our forwards.

Harsh to say he has been crap in front of goal when not much has been created his way.
Again- 'this'
glad, others see it too

TheMancRedDevil

I've seen nothing from Diouf so far that you don't see in dozens of strikers at Prem/Championship level. He's quick, strong and has a good leap. That's about it really.

Still, maybe SAF thinks he can be molded into something a bit more special. Time will tell.
Must admit, I saw him score some good goals for the reserves and his pace is one his biggest assets but with the arrival of Hernandez, I don't really see what he offers above him now apart from height (but even Hernandez has got a decent leap on him).

Fergie has given him loads of playing time in this USA Tour but he hasn't really grabbed it in the way that a few of the other "youngsters" have, I feel.

Hate to say it but I can see another one of those loans that start out as a season and end up becoming permanent. If he goes somewhere next season and scores a sackload then I'll be only too happy to be proven wrong though because he seems like a good, honest lad with a great attitude who deserves to do well.

Carl

I'm not sure what you expect him to do? Take yesterday, it was a patched up team with Gibson on the wing against good opponants. When your not fit it ain't easy with no service. So you drop deep but you again rely on the midfield to support you and we weren't good enough
Yeh you can argue we haven't been making chances for him, but he hasn't even looked dangerous.

Against Celtic he was decent. Won a lot in the air etc but his movement doesn't seem to be particularly great and, well, just hasn't looked dangerous.

Striker10

Yeh you can argue we haven't been making chances for him, but he hasn't even looked dangerous.

Against Celtic he was decent. Won a lot in the air etc but his movement doesn't seem to be particularly great and, well, just hasn't looked dangerous.
that's because he relys on service. He won't create chances by himself. I think it 'looking dangerous' comes with confidence and games. There was times when Tevez were here and I was wondering, why the feck he looks about as dangerous as Gary neville...but then you get a goal and you kick on from there

Kiko this pre season, didn't look dangerous then he's presented with two chances and takes them and it pushes him on, gives him confidence. Diouf is under pressure, there is no question - though all the strikers are. I think we can't expect miracles from everyone

I don't think we've really dominated the games the way we can. Once we have a midfield that presses up the play then Diouf will become a threat but what he needs is a goal and to get himself fit - like everyone. If he scores a goal next game, things change again

For all the great play Berbatovs got two goals -one pen, Welbeck one goal, Kiko two in a game. Yesterdays game was tough and the celtic one was the first game of pre seasn. He might have come on as sub in other games but there's no continuity.

Maybe if Diouf plays against mls all stars he gets a goal or two. Maybe. The luck sometimes you need is to play in good performances and strong displays

Carl

that's because he relys on service. He won't create chances by himself. I think it 'looking dangerous' comes with confidence and games. There was times when Tevez were here and I was wondering, why the feck he looks about as dangerous as Gary neville...but then you get a goal and you kick on from there

Kiko this pre season, didn't look dangerous then he's presented with two chances and takes them and it pushes him on, gives him confidence. Diouf is under pressure, there is no question - though all the strikers are. I think we can't expect miracles from everyone

I don't think we've really dominated the games the way we can. Once we have a midfield that presses up the play then Diouf will become a threat but what he needs is a goal and to get himself fit - like everyone. If he scores a goal next game, things change again

For all the great play Berbatovs got two goals -one pen, Welbeck one goal, Kiko two in a game. Yesterdays game was tough and the celtic one was the first game of pre seasn. He might have come on as sub in other games but there's no continuity.

Maybe if Diouf plays against mls all stars he gets a goal or two. Maybe. The luck sometimes you need is to play in good performances and strong displays
I see what you're saying. They all sound like excuses to me though. Call it luck, lack of service or call it what you like. Fact is he hasn't played his way anywhere near to getting a competetive game.

A loan would be the best thing for him because, right now, he's probably 7th choice striker.

Devilton

His natural attributes don't conceal the fact that technically he's a very average player. Poor touch and anticipation for a striker, and none of the natural instinct that even raw strikers of quality possess. I'd love to see him go on loan and make something of himself because currently he's in 7th place behind Rooney, Berba, Hernandez, Owen and Kiko perhaps even Welbeck.

Deserves a chance, but i'm not sure he will get one at United given how high the expectations are. Expect him to go on loan and end up in Belgium or back in Norway in less then 2 years.

Mainoldo

He'll go out on loan.. Hopefully we find a club that can exploit his physical attributes. He might be ok at a club lik Bolton!

Status
Not open for further replies.