Mame Biram Diouf | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laphroaig

To be fair to him, he's scored a load of headed goals for Molde so I'm sure his technique is fine.
He did, and he's a very capable finisher with both feet and his head. However, even at Molde he was well known for being liable to finish like that too, he swings between the extremes. His erratic finishing was always the thing he needs to sort out to become a success in England.

kundalini

I had to watch the replay of that header 10 times because I was convinced the ball did something funny for him to be in such an awkward position and then I realized - Nope, It was just shockingly poor technique. The ball was perfectly delivered by Gaz. How the boy managed to look so unseemly when he hit it only he knows.

I'll put it down to nerves, but from what i've seen he's got a lot of enthusiasm and his movement is good but his technique is dreadful. The look on Fergies face said it all really.
Gary Neville's cross dipped late which caught Diouf out as he had already jumped. That was his mistake. He misjudged the flight of the ball. After that he was always struggling to get his body in a position so that he could get a decent header in. Neville's cross was a superb one but not for someone stood on the back post as the ball had lost much of its momentum and was falling at that point. Had Diouf not jumped he probably would have got a reasonable header in but seen it saved by the keeper because of the lack of pace on the cross by the time it reached him.

Girish II

I think he got a bit excited and his body went into celebratory 360 flip mode

He needs to learn to control it

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Gary Neville's cross dipped late which caught Diouf out as he had already jumped. That was his mistake. He misjudged the flight of the ball. After that he was always struggling to get his body in a position so that he could get a decent header in. Neville's cross was a superb one but not for someone stood on the back post as the ball had lost much of its momentum and was falling at that point. Had Diouf not jumped he probably would have got a reasonable header in but seen it saved by the keeper because of the lack of pace on the cross by the time it reached him.
Don't agree with that last bit. It was a peach of a cross. If he'd got any kind of decent contact it would have been past the keeper before he could move.

Agree with most of what you said but a cross doesn't suddenly lose all it's momentum about half way across the box. It did dip but it still had loads of pace on it by the time it reached Diouf.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He did, and he's a very capable finisher with both feet and his head. However, even at Molde he was well known for being liable to finish like that too, he swings between the extremes. His erratic finishing was always the thing he needs to sort out to become a success in England.
Interesting. I've noticed he's been the same for the reserves. He's capable of looking like an absolutely lethal finisher with one chance, then a bumbling amateur with the next one.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Don't agree with that last bit. It was a peach of a cross. If he'd got any kind of decent contact it would have been past the keeper before he could move.

Agree with most of what you said but a cross doesn't suddenly lose all it's momentum about half way across the box. It did dip but it still had loads of pace on it by the time it reached Diouf.
All I can say is, thank God that Wolves player missed an even better chance at the end otherwise poor old Diouf would be called all sorts on here.:lol:

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
The one part of his game I'm absolutely convinced is top notch even by Premiership standards is his heading. He was the best header of the ball in the Norwegian league and he'll score plenty of headers for United.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Interesting. I've noticed he's been the same for the reserves. He's capable of looking like an absolutely lethal finisher with one chance, then a bumbling amateur with the next one.
Consistency is what the lad needs to gain and he's at the right place to learn it. Once he's got it sorted he'll be one of the deadliest strikers in football.

Shimo

Yeah I watched the replay and it looked like the ball did something funny and he tried to adjust midair - it was awkward looking.

The other chance he missed, the deflection came of the defender so quick and he wasn't Paul Scholes lucky to get it go off his shin.

For the actual goal - the ball by Nani was intended for him, he was making a very good run between two defenders and that pressure told when the ball went to Scholes.

Overall he got in very good positions, he worked hard and I don't think it's reasonable to say he has poor technique on one header. Needs work but, has a lot of positive attributes so far.

Laphroaig

Ah, I've only seen the highlights lately and have been well pleased with his well taken goals, hoping that he was on the right course. In Norway the idea has been that OGS might be the perfect man to sort him out. We'll just have to be patient I suppose, he's certainly an interesting prospect.

The one part of his game I'm absolutely convinced is top notch even by Premiership standards is his heading. He was the best header of the ball in the Norwegian league and he'll score plenty of headers for United.
I don't know, I thought his heading was erratic too, I'm pretty sure I've seen him make a mess of quite a few. However, his leap is one of the best I've seen.

davisjw

He'd of done better flapping his body about like a seal than offer his head. Quite funny and if you're going to miss a sitter, at least look funny doing it!

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I don't know, I thought his heading was erratic too, I'm pretty sure I've seen him make a mess of quite a few. However, his leap is one of the best I've seen.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. Sure he's missed headers but my clear impression is that it's a very consistent, very classy part of his game. His feet are another matter though, but, like you said, Ole will hopefully take care of that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. Sure he's missed headers but my clear impression is that it's a very consistent, very classy part of his game. His feet are another matter though, but, like you said, Ole will hopefully take care of that.
To be fair to our whiskey-monikored friend, Diouf's already messed up a few decent heading opportunities for the United first team (didn't he faff up a great cross from Valencia in another game? I also think he messed up a header from a corner in another game) which would fit with his heading being a wee bit inconsistent.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
To be fair to our whiskey-monikored friend, Diouf's already messed up a few decent heading opportunities for the United first team (didn't he faff up a great cross from Valencia in another game? I also think he messed up a header from a corner in another game) which would fit with his heading being a wee bit inconsistent.
True, but as far as I can tell that's down to him not being totally comfy playing for United yet and not lack of ability.

Laphroaig

That's right, he's actually got on the end of a couple of corners. That's a positive given the poor outcome of our set pieces this season, but unfortunately he didn't finish them off.

His goal for us was a header though, from outside the fecking box.

Come to think of it, I think he made an equally hilarious attempt very late in the Norwegian season, perhaps in the cup final. (Missing from 30cm out or something like that.) That may have lead me to think it's something he does from time to time.

Gambit

People also have to remember that he's got to get used to the players around him as they do him. He was playing in Norway.

Gambit

Everyone has to remember that they were calling Evra useless after his first few games as well.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
I don't think we will play with two strikers tonight, it will very much be one of those professional performances high on attrition and little on cavalier

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Pruinier had more than one game, who knew?
Ok, captain pedant, delete "few" or replace the name Prunier with any one of dozens of unsuccesful signings over the years and my point stands. The fact that Evra had a ropey first few games has no bearing on Diouf's ability as a footballer. Sure there's been good signings that didn't hit the ground running but almost every single bad signings is similarly inept in their first few outings.

Personally, I'm still hopeful about Diouf. I'd always rather see a striker get in positions to miss chances than not get chances at all. I do think he's absurdly over-hyped due to people taking all that daft "the one" stuff a bit too seriously and he looks raw as anything but he's obviously got potential.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
The only sensible option is not to make any firm judgements until he's had time to settle and develop. Not that that will happen!

Gambit

Ok, captain pedant, delete "few" or replace the name Prunier with any one of dozens of unsuccesful signings over the years and my point stands. The fact that Evra had a ropey first few games has no bearing on Diouf's ability as a footballer. Sure there's been good signings that didn't hit the ground running but almost every single bad signings is similarly inept in their first few outings.

Personally, I'm still hopeful about Diouf. I'd always rather see a striker get in positions to miss chances than not get chances at all. I do think he's absurdly over-hyped due to people taking all that daft "the one" stuff a bit too seriously and he looks raw as anything but he's obviously got potential.
What ever do you mean?

For me he has everything you need for a classic out and out striker. Pace, strength, leap etc, once he gets consistency to his game and starts banging them in then regularly which i honestly believe he will do, then we will have a heck of an option upfront.

Shimo

I was watching the Wolves game on Saturday and my friend came over during the game - big dipper supporter. Diouf came on the picture and he is like who de fawk is that? My response The One ... then I tell him Mame Biram Diouf.

Surely enough he went ahead and missed that header and my friend had a good snicker "haha 'The One' sure".

It's all bit of a joke, I am not sure of anyone here that I've read that takes it seriously. Lots of optimism around the guy but, "The One" thing is just a bit of fun to have.

Gambit

The winning streak continues. Why do these opposition teams even bother to turn up?

Gambit

On it goes. Another stellar performance.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
O Mame, where art thou? Surely injured? Has he been in any Getty pics lately?

Gambit

Mame disappears and we end up with 2 bad results, why has thou forsaken us?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Mame disappears and we end up with 2 bad results, why has thou forsaken us?
I think we need to be patient. He cant do everything in a flash. He just had a busy weekend.

Plus he is trying to get to the bottom of the sex scandal in the Catholic church -- was seconded over by The Man himself.

GB has asked him to help out on the elections coming up next month.

In his free time, he is training to get match fit during his spare time whenever Fergie needs a miracle. Oh.. btw. Fergie also asked The One to work some magic on Rooney's ankle -- we will see how it turns out.

Busy Bee. Makes walking on water look like child's play.

Gambit

Rumours of a miraculous Rooney recovery, surely the work of Diouf.

Praise be to Diouf.
Surprised he had any healing left in him, after he sorted out Neville and Hargreaves. No wonder hes nowhere to be seen, obviously having a deserved rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.