Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

Pep's Suit

Don't think he's what City need but zero world-class centre-backs available so they buy this guy... I don't know. And find it ridiculous that Sevilla sign Kounde for €25m and after one COVID-hit season they want €80m in this market. Hmm. Now the question is if Stones' offered extension or City go after another cb next summer.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

Good signing, Benfica fans are rightfully pissed.

As a portuguese I hope he can raise his level and become a world class CB because the national team badly needs it. It's very different to be a defender in Portugal or in England but I think he'll be able to adapt pretty fast.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
How the bleep did City sell Otemendi for 15m? The deal apperently is 55m + Otemendi (15m) = 70m

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Benfica were asking 55m for Dias.

Isnt it £40m + Otamendi.
No. I just checked and some Portuguese reports are indicating it's actually 55M + Otemendi (5m) + 10m on easy add-ons + 5m of more difficult add-ons which is probably winning league/CL, PL /CL team of the year, Ballon dor ranking etc. So a total of 75M which at least 70m will be more attainable, but if you include base fee + Otemendi your paying 60m up front.

padr81

Supports
Man City
No. I just checked and some Portuguese reports are indicating it's actually 55M + Otemendi (5m) + 10m on easy add-ons + 5m of more difficult add-ons which is probably winning league/CL, PL /CL team of the year, Ballon dor ranking etc. So a total of 75M which at least 70m will be more attainable, but if you include base fee + Otemendi your paying 60m up front.
He's not worth that imo.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Are City's owners at the Abramovich stage where they're not arsed about competing? With their wealth I really don't know why they've signed the level of players they have this window

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Are City's owners at the Abramovich stage where they're not arsed about competing? With their wealth I really don't know why they've signed the level of players they have this window
What better options were there than Ake and Dias for CB and also available?

Ferran Torres is probably a depth signing.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Koulibaly & Upamencano for starters
Koulibaly is too old and would cost more. He's also not close on the CB he's made out to be imho. Upamencano while young and having a lot of potential isn't a massive upgrade on Ake, Dias or near Laporte's level.
It doesn't matter who plays in a back 2 for us because they are left as a back 2.

Dr. StrangeHate

The year that City decide to stop proper spending is the year when we need them to beat Liverpool. I bet they would have spent around 200 mil if we were competing.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Why arent all the pundits coming out in force to slate city, and their board for failing to sign Koulibaly?

charlenefan

Koulibaly is too old and would cost more. He's also not close on the CB he's made out to be imho. Upamencano while young and having a lot of potential isn't a massive upgrade on Ake, Dias or near Laporte's level.
It doesn't matter who plays in a back 2 for us because they are left as a back 2.
Fitness concerns aside Upamencano is levels better than Ake. Koulibaly if you believe Romano City wanted as first choice, just wouldn't pay up which brings me to back to my original question - why aren't the City owners spending anymore?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Fitness concerns aside Upamencano is levels better than Ake. Koulibaly if you believe Romano City wanted as first choice, just wouldn't pay up which brings me to back to my original question - why aren't the City owners spending anymore?
Yup we wanted Koulibaly, but we refused to deal with Napoli without a mediator, discussions never got off the ground. Nothing to do with paying up. I disagree on Upa.. he will likely be levels above Ake in a couple of years, for now, I don't think so. Our system is also very different to others. It involves mostly being left alone with Fullbacks sitting miles up the pitch and often times defending 2 vs 3. We could have Maldini and Baresi back there and we'd still give up tons of chances.

Josep Dowling

I must admit I thought they would go out and spend a fortune. Especially because of the court case result with UEFA. They look to be in a period of transition. Fernandinho and Aguero are the next two to replace. That’s probably £150-£200m.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They can't defend. Livepool winning the title easily again this year.

charlenefan

Pep will definitely be off at the end of this season

SinNombre

Why arent all the pundits coming out in force to slate city, and their board for failing to sign Koulibaly?
With Dias, they are the 2nd biggest spenders in Europe.

Pep is a great coach but such a poor checkbook manager. All his best players are still the ones signed by Pellegrini and Mancini before 2015.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Been hammered vs Leicester, look dreadful.

Is it too early to worry about who is going to stop the scousers?