Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There's to lose. They've got tough fixtures coming up but they play at a completely different level to everybody ,even when they're not totally on it.Uhh.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Got to be the final straw for Pickford that. 2 mistakes leading up to the goal and then the final mistake is unforgivable. Probably a good point with our midfield missing all things considered.

I read Jagielka had a good game ? Fantastic defender in his prime even though he has become a bit of a joke figure on here after the Moyes comments.

passing-wind

We aren't going to be able to match city if it comes down to having strides of consistency to win the league. The reason is because they typically build a foundation to win games. Solskjaer since joining still hasn't given the team an identity to the extent that we can say a given transfer target will add a different dynamic to the team. Everything about our "improvement" is solely to sign players who are proficient in positions we are lacking quality in whereas the likes of Pep will sign a player on the basis of the attributes they add to the team in a given position.

That difference is where we begin to slide in the determining of imposing ourselves as collective to get results compared to having total dependability in moments.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Can I just remind everyone that City's game in hand won't be for a while as yet and it happens to be Everton away, a fixture they have often struggled in.

Also their fixtures over the last 5 weeks have been the kindest of all PL top 6 teams. However they are about to go through a period of much harder fixtures so let's not go handing them the title now eh?

They play Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal in their next 4 games and then an in form Westham after that one. Plenty of twists and turns left in this race. City will have another blip.

Pep's Suit

Well, PL's always won by managers with certain experience. If United had Allegri instead of Ole I'd trust them much more.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Can I just remind everyone that City's game in hand won't be for a while as yet and it happens to be Everton away, a fixture they have often struggled in.
Last five games in Goodison:

2020 Win 1-3
2019 Win 0-2
2018 Win 1-3
2017 Loss 4-0
2016 Win 0-2

Apart from that freak loss where nothing worked for them, they've far from struggled at Everton.

Josh 76

At least Liverpool won’t equal our 20.
Don't speak too soon.
Liverpool are one result away from going on a 10 match wining streak. City are in great form at moment....but still have a bad result in them.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Don't speak too soon.
Liverpool are one result away from going on a 10 match wining streak. City are in great form at moment....but still have a bad result in them.
Who doesn't? Last night showed that anything is possible if a mix of bad luck and bad execution take place.
City go to Anfield in a few weeks where we have a horrendous record but the lack of a crowd and Liverpool's injury and form issues make for a great opportunity to get that monkey off their back.
No other domestic game will have City as underdogs and the spotlight will turn to their underachievement in CL.
Be interesting to see how it all plays out.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I look at their fixtures, their tough fixtures starts when they face Liverpool, from there, they will continuously face tough & tight schedules. Even when they play against the lesser ones like Palace & Fulham, it will force them to might rotate their best players due to EFL Cup final and champions league (although I don’t put my hope on Palace due to their recent form but Fulham can give good fight since they are on relegation battle). And also their catch up game is against Everton. They are still heavy favourite in my opinion but the real test starts when they play against Liverpool to end of the season.

Ludens the Red

They’re in great form and the logical thing to believe is that they’ll now steamroll the division but then when you look at their wins over the last month it tells a
story.
Last season I think city had one of the worse records against fellow top six sides iirc.
Well guess what, they haven’t beaten any of the current top six this season. This run they’re currently on has seen wins over Brighton, Palace, Newcastle and West Brom and one things for sure nobody beats the shit like city beat the shit.

I think they’ll win the league but not by much.

James35

They’re in great form and the logical thing to believe is that they’ll now steamroll the division but then when you look at their wins over the last month it tells a
story.
Last season I think city had one of the worse records against fellow top six sides iirc.
Well guess what, they haven’t beaten any of the current top six this season. This run they’re currently on has seen wins over Brighton, Palace, Newcastle and West Brom and one things for sure nobody beats the shit like city beat the shit.

I think they’ll win the league but not by much.
We also haven't beaten a top 6 side and we definitely can't beat the shit convincingly like they can. They also have experience at the top and chasing titles unlike our team and man for man better players. Our run of form wasn't against anyone great either and required some very late winners that have us in top 2 as compared to 7th or 8th.

The main thing is they are a point ahead with a game in a hand and a far superior goal difference. No chance we challenge them for the title, that much I'm certain of, top 4 must be our goal as it was prior to season.

Yesterday was a shambolic performance which got us exactly what we deserved, how we bounce back v Arsenal will tell us all we need to know about this team and it's winning mentality. Lose again and go on a bad run of form and its very conceivable we could be out of the top 4 by the time the Europa league resumes. My biggest worry is still an injury to Bruno and Ole's in game management, it was never sustainable picking up points the way we were on passion, last minute heroics and a bit of luck. We need to convincingly beat a team like City and others can before I'm convinced of any real improvement in the team that doesn't equate to Bruno Fernandes.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton

2020 Win 1-3
2019 Win 0-2
2018 Win 1-3
2017 Loss 4-0
2016 Win 0-2

Apart from that freak loss where nothing worked for them, they've far from struggled at Everton.
To be fair we was throwing half of those games to stop you winning the league.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
To be fair we was throwing half of those games to stop you winning the league.
Understandable, it's the only fixture you can influence the title race with since you usually roll over for us ;)

By the time you play them it's not inconceivable that I'll be rooting for City too if Liverpool are not involved in the title race anymore.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
After all these years and failed investment after investment (must be nice to have that opportunity) he looks to have finally got it right

Top coach :angel:
They had the best defensive record in the PL in 2017-18 the second best in 2018-19 and 2019-20. They also won the league twice during that period.

Weird definition of failure.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
The way Pep has used Cancelo has been revolutionary IMO. Yes he did it with Walker last season but Cancelo just plays that role so much better.

It gives City a midfield overload having 2 DM's, 2 false 9's and a RB playing there.
Worlds away from when he first came to England and was trying to do the same with Sagna and Kolarov. :lol:

Ludens the Red

We also haven't beaten a top 6 side and we definitely can't beat the shit convincingly like they can. They also have experience at the top and chasing titles unlike our team and man for man better players. Our run of form wasn't against anyone great either and required some very late winners that have us in top 2 as compared to 7th or 8th.

The main thing is they are a point ahead with a game in a hand and a far superior goal difference. No chance we challenge them for the title, that much I'm certain of, top 4 must be our goal as it was prior to season.

Yesterday was a shambolic performance which got us exactly what we deserved, how we bounce back v Arsenal will tell us all we need to know about this team and it's winning mentality. Lose again and go on a bad run of form and its very conceivable we could be out of the top 4 by the time the Europa league resumes. My biggest worry is still an injury to Bruno and Ole's in game management, it was never sustainable picking up points the way we were on passion, last minute heroics and a bit of luck. We need to convincingly beat a team like City and others can before I'm convinced of any real improvement in the team that doesn't equate to Bruno Fernandes.
Haha tbh wasn’t really thinking about us being their challenge.
I know everyone’s writing them off but Liverpool I still think will kick on again. Leicester also have a more sustainable style and so could easily push 75-85 points as long as their key men stay fit.

James35

My bad Leroy The Red, I was just letting off some steam. I'm with you in that Liverpool will be their main rivals once again and yes I can see Leicester and even Spurs doing as much or if not more than us. Then we have the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea who are only a couple of good results from being in the top 4 mix again.

This has to be a one off loss and we must once more go on a good run otherwise a promising season could turn into a real slog. Especially as we have wasted this window with regards to any incomings.

Sylar

They had the best defensive record in the PL in 2017-18 the second best in 2018-19 and 2019-20. They also won the league twice during that period.

Weird definition of failure.
Sure, but that includes a lot of failed investments which they were allowed to rectify with further spending

Pep didn't go in and coach what they had.
And he didn't make signings and it worked out

For every success theyve had, he's had the advantage that other managers dont.

Their defensive records you stated has no context in terms of what's been spent and how many players they've had and tried

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Sure, but that includes a lot of failed investments which they were allowed to rectify with further spending

Their defensive records you stated has no context in terms of what's been spent and how many players they've had and tried
So when they win, it's not because of his coaching but if they lose, it's his fault right?

CityBlue123

Supports
Man City

How could he?

People don't seem to be aware of our defensive players that Pep inherited. It included 4 fullbacks over the age of 30 (Clichy, Kolarov, Zaba and Sagna).

Our CBs included an injury prone Kompany, Mangala, Demichelis and Otamendi.

And, even then, Kompany and Otamendi improved under Pep and played a key role in the best defence in 17/18.

This narrative that we've had alot of failed investments and just rectified it by spending more isn't true. We've had to cope with the failed investment of Mendy for years, playing midfielders in his position and adapted. Outside of Bravo, we've had to make do with all our investments.

Needham

Is it true that Man City are going to spend the rest of their existence giving their wealth away?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

2020 Win 1-3
2019 Win 0-2
2018 Win 1-3
2017 Loss 4-0
2016 Win 0-2

And they'd still have a 4 point lead over Liverpool if they lost one game. It's a significant advantage at this stage. Potentially 4 points over us which is a lot as well given I fancy them to do better than us from here on.

nickyboy1981

Positives from my pov.

City have Stones at the back starting again, they will deffo have a blip.

They were so lucky against Villa its untrue, on another day Villa would have snatched it. Positive signs for anyone willing to have a go.

Gundoguan is a crock, let's see how he copes playing through this tough next few games.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Sylar

Positives from my pov.

They were so lucky against Villa its untrue, on another day Villa would have snatched it. Positive signs for anyone willing to have a go.

Gundoguan is a crock, let's see how he copes playing through this tough next few games.
I think the negatives are they could build a bit bit of a lead with their fixtures coming up, that all this won't matter in the end

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Positives from my pov.

Think your POV is somewhat blinkered?
City had 69% possession, about 3 times as many shots, twice as many on target and a 2-0 win.
Stones is playing well and we have statistically the best defence in the PL right now. If he falters Laporte and Ake are good players to slot in.
Gundogan had bad knee and back injuries a few years ago but has been available all season apart from getting COVID a few months ago.
We keep hearing about the tough run that lies ahead. We’ve recently beaten Chelsea, Arsenal, United, Southampton, Villa among others. Liverpool and Spurs will be tough tasks but can you see any of the other contenders putting a long winning run together in order to overhaul City?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Think your POV is somewhat blinkered?
City had 69% possession, about 3 times as many shots, twice as many on target and a 2-0 win.
Stones is playing well and we have statistically the best defence in the PL right now. If he falters Laporte and Ake are good players to slot in.
Gundogan had bad knee and back injuries a few years ago but has been available all season apart from getting COVID a few months ago.
We keep hearing about the tough run that lies ahead. We’ve recently beaten Chelsea, Arsenal, United, Southampton, Villa among others. Liverpool and Spurs will be tough tasks but can you see any of the other contenders putting a long winning run together in order to overhaul City?
It's not just that you're currently on the best run of all contenders, it's also the fact that you're most likely to keep this up and keep playing at a high standard, enough to keep winning most of your games. If we beat you at Anfield in a few weeks time and yesterday was a turning point for us to also go on a run, things might become interesting again because we're the only team capable of challenging you if we play up to our potential imo. But I don't really see that happening, it's much more likely that we'll have (at least) as many bumps in the road as you guys do and the difference is 7 points right now.

Still a lot of football to be play but it's clear as day that you're in pole position and it's yours to lose at this point imo.

Loon

:lol:
Horrible to think once again I’ll be hoping this lot can stop the dippers winning the league.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
It's not just that you're currently on the best run of all contenders, it's also the fact that you're most likely to keep this up and keep playing at a high standard, enough to keep winning most of your games. If we beat you at Anfield in a few weeks time and yesterday was a turning point for us to also go on a run, things might become interesting again because we're the only team capable of challenging you if we play up to our potential imo. But I don't really see that happening, it's much more likely that we'll have (at least) as many bumps in the road as you guys do and the difference is 7 points right now.

Still a lot of football to be play but it's clear as day that you're in pole position and it's yours to lose at this point imo.
Liverpool are definitely the one who City fans fear as a team who could reel off win after win.
United and Leicester have done well but are a few pieces missing to sustain it until the end of the season.
United, in particular, have had a lot of tough games. The difficult Cup draws and the need to come from behind to win several games are things that leave their marks. The EL is a grind if they stay in it plus they’ve not really had a spate of injuries/illness to high profile players yet.

padr81

Supports
Man City

I think thats fair, Honestly we play United on the 6th of March, if we are withing a point or two of first come then I'd make us favourites, if we're top after the derby even only by a point or two, I think we'll coast home from then on. After the 6th of March we have 2 games where we should drop points if that Leicester away and Chelsea at home. We should unless we bollix it up be on 48 points heading into the tricky run.

Of the last 11 games we should be taking at least 27 points. So thats 75, if we can get 10 or so from a combination of Liverpool, Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal and United we'll likely finish or around 85 points which will likely be job done.

We could very well take only 5-7 points from that run which would see up clock up a much more beatable 80 or so points. Something not beyond Liverpool and if they can bounce back quickly United. If you guys take 12 points from your next 4 games (including City and Leicester) you'll be breathing down our necks for the rest of our tough run and at most 4 points behind when we have the run of Spurs, West Ham, Arsenal and United. You guys are very capable of winning 9 or 10 in a row if you beat us at Anfield. You have all the tough games bar Leicester at home up till Arsenal.

Lee565

Dias has to be up there as buy if the season, the transformation city's defence has had since he came in, he's even given stones a new lease of life when it seemed like his career at city was dead in the water and it was only last season that laporte was seen as not only unstoppable for city but probably the second best defender in the league behind dijk.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Gonna win the league easily. JINX JINX FECKING JINX - BUT ONLY IF THE JINX MEANS UNITED AND NOT LIVERPOOL WIN IT

Which is preferable to the other realistic outcome.