Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pretty sure the City fans on this board aren't huge on Mahrez. Thought today was a classic performance from him in this sort of game, no issue getting into space but countless shots that are blocked or he sends wide.

He's obviously a very good player as he's proved but surprises me how often Pep starts him in this sort of duel. Can't believe he didn't start Foden given his general form over last three months.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah, very unusual for Pep, guess he’s allowed an off day. I mean I don’t know how many more performances like this Sterling has to put in against us to just not be picked. It’s one of the weirdest things in football this run of his.
I wouldn't say its unusual he's done it in 3 of 5 games vs Ole now. He does this, his stubborness in focusing only on his own team and not the opposition is both a blessing and a curse. Took him awhile to adapt his tactics to Klopp and seems to have similar problems with Ole. As he said himself two of the best teams in the world on the counter. Just wish he'd adapt sometimes, when we were struggling earlier in the season he seemed to find a balance in the team but today was all the old habits and United played us like a fiddle.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Pretty sure the City fans on this board aren't huge on Mahrez. Thought today was a classic performance from him in this sort of game, no issue getting into space but countless shots that are blocked or he sends wide.

He's obviously a very good player as he's proved but surprises me how often Pep starts him in this sort of duel. Can't believe he didn't start Foden given his general form over last three months.
In his defence and I have been harsh on him, lately he's really improved his workrate and final ball. He just seems to be a little selfish and lack the final ball at times. I don't why Pep has such a huge fascination with him though, its weird.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
I wouldn't say its unusual he's done it in 3 of 5 games vs Ole now. He does this, his stubborness in focusing only on his own team and not the opposition is both a blessing and a curse. Took him awhile to adapt his tactics to Klopp and seems to have similar problems with Ole. As he said himself two of the best teams in the world on the counter. Just wish he'd adapt sometimes, when we were struggling earlier in the season he seemed to find a balance in the team but today was all the old habits and United played us like a fiddle.
He adjusted to United quite well earlier in the season in the 0-0 and 2-0. The problem today was your braindead striker gave away PK in the first minute whatever Pep plan for United were went out the window at the moment, United didn't need to bring the game to City just sat back and wait for the counter. It also doesn't help when Ederson can't save a weak shot from Shaw and your team just sat around watching him, it seem he had all the time in the world to take that shot. You also had Rodri hitting the woodwork and Sterling missing sitters. Pep biggest mistake was not playing Foden over Sterling, but this was more on the players then Pep today, when your missing chances and then giving away chances like that, you'll get burned.

I also personally believe Bernado is better in midfield for City then KdB, but thats probably just me.

Reactions: Cheimoon

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
City seemed to play their best spell of football this season when De Bruyne was injured. He was very productive before the injury, but he's looked pretty awful since coming back. He was particularly bad yesterday, his passing was awful, and some of his touches were Lukaku-heavy. I don't think I've ever seen him play so poorly. Did they rush him back?

Pep's Suit

That was so bad yesterday. Mainly in 2nd half City lacked energy so no idea why Pep kept Foden on the bench for so long. Bernardo didn't play at all and honestly even this version of Aguero deserved 15-20 mins on the pitch.

Saints H on wednesday, Fulham A on saturday. Hopefully City can win both but maybe more rotation is needed now, some players looked tired so would like to see Ferran, Kun and Foden start both games.

Yesterday again reinforced my feelings they are an extremely well coached side without any players who really stand out and make the difference. Not sure if that's just the players, or Pep doesn't allow it in his system, but none of their players particularly excite me or worry me when we face them. It must so boring to watch them every week. They're a machine but they never put you on the edge of your seat.

I think that's enough to get the title in a topsy turvy season like this but it wont be enough in a season where somebody else gets their act together.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
City seemed to play their best spell of football this season when De Bruyne was injured. He was very productive before the injury, but he's looked pretty awful since coming back. He was particularly bad yesterday, his passing was awful, and some of his touches were Lukaku-heavy. I don't think I've ever seen him play so poorly. Did they rush him back?
Not absolutely true, he was in the side in the beginning of their great spell (3-0 at Chelsea for example).

I don't think they rushed him back, he may still be a little bit rusty. Unfortunately for them, him being rusty at RCM meant a lot of transition opportunities for us. An on form De Bruyne still walks into their side and gives them more of a cutting edge

Yesterday again reinforced my feelings they are an extremely well coached side without any players who really stand out and make the difference. Not sure if that's just the players, or Pep doesn't allow it in his system, but none of their players particularly excite me or worry me when we face them. It must so boring to watch them every week. They're a machine but they never put you on the edge of your seat.

I think that's enough to get the title in a topsy turvy season like this but it wont be enough in a season where somebody else gets their act together.
Boring as opposed to who? If there was a table measuring most exciting teams in the league, who would you have on top and at the bottom?

Whoever gets their act together will have to match/exceed City's consistency. You don't do that through individual brilliance, you create a machine yourself. See Liverpool last season and the one before.

Zen86

Amazing how Pep just played straight into our hands once again. Hopefully this result makes him nervous enough to do what he does best and start tinkering in the CL.

garnier

Supports
Manchester City
Robin here. Decided to make a new account. Not exactly to "start afresh", but just clean out the cobwebs a bit.

Fair play to United yesterday. Had us on toast, again. Won't be enough to overturn the destination of the league title, I don't think, but OGS certainly knows how to get Pep stewing and obsessing over that drawing board. Think we'd have overturned the 0-1 scoreline had Foden & Bernardo started, but that's for another day.

Boring as opposed to who? If there was a table measuring most exciting teams in the league, who would you have on top and at the bottom?

Whoever gets their act together will have to match/exceed City's consistency. You don't do that through individual brilliance, you create a machine yourself. See Liverpool last season and the one before.
It differs from season to season. Liverpool for the last couple of seasons were pretty good to watch (and this season, but for different reasons). We have our moments. So do Leicester.

Pep's best teams have always been pretty fecking boring. Barcelona at their most dominant were a total snooze-fest whenever Messi wasn't popping up with moments of brilliance.

croadyman

Can't see it happening in a million years because relies on other teams taking points off them but IF we could get within 6 with say 5 games to go then we would have the slimmest of opportunities

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
All I could think of yesterday is how badly coached they are.
Pep had a stinker and no mistake but that was an outlier.
He’s messed up in previous seasons particularly in CL knockout stages but had been pretty flawless recently until Sunday.
It’s a warning shot, though, to Pep to consider the circumstances of the match as well as just looking at it scientifically.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It differs from season to season. Liverpool for the last couple of seasons were pretty good to watch (and this season, but for different reasons). We have our moments. So do Leicester.

Pep's best teams have always been pretty fecking boring. Barcelona at their most dominant were a total snooze-fest whenever Messi wasn't popping up with moments of brilliance.
Very subjective. Give me City and Barcelona anyday over last few seasons Livepool whose only gameplay was to run a lot and cross. The brilliance of Messi, Iniesta, Xavi, Alves etc compared to TAA and Roberson being the main creative forces. No comparison for me personally.

Livepool were more exciting in 17/18 when they finished 4th. They abandoned that style for a more possession based style but, for me, without the entertainment value.

I do prefer our best football under SAF to any of these teams. Great blend of fire and class. Somewhat like that 17/18 Livepool team.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Can't see it happening in a million years because relies on other teams taking points off them but IF we could get within 6 with say 5 games to go then we would have the slimmest of opportunities
It was all those points dropped as soon as we went first, man. After Fulham (A) we were 1st with 19 games gone and on 40 points. City had a game in hand and were on 38.

From then on, our form since has been 1 loss, 5 draws, and 3 wins. 14 out of 27 points.

We certainly weren't favourites or anything, but we dropped out of the fight as soon as it literally started. So frustrating.

Ekeke

City have conceded 4 goals in the 21 matches John Stones has started in all competitions this season. He's scored 5 goals in those matches. A CB who has scored more goals than he has conceded, crazy run

SER19

Become a joke now. Look at Everton, a very good team, absolutely shattered by 75 mins, while city have near half a billion on the bench and same as every week, pull away comfortably. Even pretending there's a level playing field anymore is embarrassing

Pundits going on that 'they never stop, they're relentless'. Why would they ever stop? Their team is fresh every single week

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Become a joke now. Look at Everton, a very good team, absolutely shattered by 75 mins, while city have near half a billion on the bench and same as every week, pull away comfortably. Even pretending there's a level playing field anymore is embarrassing

Pundits going on that 'they never stop, they're relentless'. Why would they ever stop? Their team is fresh every single week
The only reason why City is this strong is Pep Guardiola. Other teams have expensive benches too, but they aren't playing like them.

Zen86

It’s been a joke for years, it’s just that it’s a lot more apparent this year when normal clubs are stretched and players are tired from the busy schedule. They could quite easily win a quadruple this year and they aren’t even a particularly great team.

SER19

Nobody has anywhere near the squad depth of City.
Its complete revisionism. They were very very ordinary again this evening and just completely wore Everton down. I don't think people grasp the difference it makes to have a stronger bench than most starting line ups and a fresh team every week.

iambad

We have spent almost the same amount of money as Man City.

If we had people with actual footballing brains and direction running the club instead of the clown Woodward and his friends, we could have arguably been just as dominant if not more.

Imagine if we lured Klopp here in 2014 or 2015 instead of giving 250million to Van Gaal to waste(250million was a LOT back then), and let Klopp build a team instead. We would have been such a force and probably have swept up every trophy domestically and in Europe.

Its depressing to think about, but Man City running away with these trophies and having such a strong squad is our own fault. They are run by football people who want to win, we are run by inept clowns.

SER19

It’s been a joke for years, it’s just that it’s a lot more apparent this year when normal clubs are stretched and players are tired from the busy schedule. They could quite easily win a quadruple this year and they aren’t even a particularly great team.
100%

Most players at most teams are performing way below peak. They're exhausted. City play a fresh core of team every week and patterns of games are the same. They actually should have had 4 in last 10 mins, Everton looked like playing on sand

AshRK

The only reason why City is this strong is Pep Guardiola. Other teams have expensive benches too, but they aren't playing like them.
Other teams don't have any near quality that of city. Yes pep is amazing but let us stop pretending that they don't have the best squad. That depth they have is absolutely scary.

Ladron de redcafe

City are so well drilled. The pattern of play. The movement off the ball. The way they all seem to move in unison. Guardiola has them playing some staggeringly good football.

If he wins a third league title in 4 years here to make it three different "triples", it's going to be quite something.

Djemba-Djemba

Its complete revisionism. They were very very ordinary again this evening and just completely wore Everton down. I don't think people grasp the difference it makes to have a stronger bench than most starting line ups and a fresh team every week.
I think this being such a mental season with so many games compressed into such a short time frame has just made it even easier for City. They have by an absolute country mile the strongest squad in the country, maybe even Europe, and so as you said they can constantly rotate and the quality level barely drops.

Everyone else looks knackered and are having to run their players into the ground.

Our comfortable win at the Etihad a few weeks ago really was a remarkable result the more you think about it.

Ladron de redcafe

Nobody plays like them. Klopp is brilliant but Guardiola is the best coach in the world and has a claim to be the best tactician in the history of the sport.

SER19

I think this being such a mental season with so many games compressed into such a short time frame has just made it even easier for City. They have by an absolute country mile the strongest squad in the country, maybe even Europe, and so as you said they can constantly rotate and the quality level barely drops.

Everyone else looks knackered and are having to run their players into the ground.

Our comfortable win at the Etihad a few weeks ago really was a remarkable result the more you think about it.
In our game we looked absolutely shattered for last 15. Its so routine, watching guardiola now and you can tell even hes embarrassed trying to avoid the elephant in the room.

AshRK

The fact that they spent 40m on ake and they don't need to ever use him shows how strong they are. Any manager would love to manage Man city, huge funds to back a manager every season is always a dream.

MongeySpangle

Supports
Manchester City
100%

Most players at most teams are performing way below peak. They're exhausted. City play a fresh core of team every week and patterns of games are the same. They actually should have had 4 in last 10 mins, Everton looked like playing on sand
I’m not sure what you’re trying to suggest. Yes we had a very expensive bench and riches of quality to bring on. But Everton are allowed to make just as many substitutes as us. It’s not our problem if they’re more tired than us.

SER19

I’m not sure what you’re trying to suggest. Yes we had a very expensive bench and riches of quality to bring on. But Everton are allowed to make just as many substitutes as us. It’s not our problem if they’re more tired than us.
Everton bench today: Tryer, Broahead, Onyango, John, Leban, Davies, Nkounkou, Davies, Keane

City: Ederson, Mahrez, De Bruyne, Aguero, Cancelo, Rodri, Torres, Mendy, Stones

Yeah, youre right, its not your problem. Its clearly Evertons failing to not compete :lol:

Djemba-Djemba

Not sure how you've misunderstood that.

Of course they can make as many subs as you, the point is the subs you can bring on are absolute top tier quality. Nobody else in the country is anywhere close to the strength and depth of your squad.

Look at the differences between their bench and yours for feck sake. If they need a goal then can bring on who? Leban or Tom Davies?

You can bring on Mahrez or Augero or Torres or De Bruyne.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s not your problem, it’s quite the opposite. No other club in the league can boast the options your team has, probably because they don’t have the same owners.