Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

SER19

It's a staggeringly bad take, sorry. Martial was the same price as Sané (assuming none of Martial's add-ons get triggered)- not "£50m" as you say. Martial has 81 G+A in 167 league games, while Sané managed 53 in just 90. And I'm only using Martial as an example, Sané did more in three than most forwards could manage in ten. There's a reason you're the only person who thinks he was a bad signing.
I don't think hes a bad player. And dont think he did badly. Ive been clear, that had United signed a top looking talent, seen him start so well, then lose some form, show a poor attitude, fall out with manager and end up desperate to leave before even turning 25,im not going to call it a success. At best ill see it as a real shame and lost opportunity.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
I don't think hes a bad player. And dont think he did badly. Ive been clear, that had United signed a top looking talent, seen him start so well, then lose some form, show a poor attitude, fall out with manager and end up desperate to leave before even turning 25,im not going to call it a success. At best ill see it as a real shame and lost opportunity.
Sané didn't fall out with Pep. Not according to anyone who would actually know, anyway. He went to Bayern because he's been a Bayern fan his whole life and preferred living in Germany.

SER19

Sané didn't fall out with Pep. Not according to anyone who would actually know, anyway. He went to Bayern because he's been a Bayern fan his whole life and preferred living in Germany.
There were plenty of stories about it at the time and plenty of spells in and out of team. In any case, he wasn't signed with the intention of losing him three years later, for less money than they'd liked , albeit it a good fee. I described my feeling above, and losing a player like this at 24 cannot be looked upon as a successful signing in my opinion

The reason he could let him go so freely is because he had so many other options.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
We signed Sane and he was a key player in two title wins and we sold him for a profit back to his native country after an ACL injury. Calling him an unsuccessful signing is completely ridiculous.

ExecutionerWasp001

Sane was not a bad signing. He was actually a fantastic signing. The point is he was badly managed.

Pep cannot manage mavericks. This has been stated by other players like Sancho, Ibra & Eto. Pep's football is regimented. Every player has a specific job in the team. Individualism & flair doesn't conform. Sterling was much more regimented than Sane & thus got Pep's backing. Sane would have been a beast of a player if properly managed. I like many neutrals was happy that Sane left & Sterling stayed.

red_sun

There is a very in-depth article here on the evolution of Pep's tactics. It's pretty lengthy, but worth the read.

I wonder how much input his coaches have in shaping his thought processes.

Reactions: Cheimoon

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Sane was not a bad signing. He was actually a fantastic signing. The point is he was badly managed.

Pep cannot manage mavericks. This has been stated by other players like Sancho, Ibra & Eto. Pep's football is regimented. Every player has a specific job in the team. Individualism & flair doesn't conform. Sterling was much more regimented than Sane & thus got Pep's backing. Sane would have been a beast of a player if properly managed. I like many neutrals was happy that Sane left & Sterling stayed.

A great video of Henry explaining Guardiola's Barcelona tactics when he was trained by Pep.

Guardiola has a philosophy that every player has very specific roles that they must conform to, that's true. That's why he got rid of Eto'o despite him being the top-striker for Barcelona in the 2008/2009 season, Eto'o was clashing with Pep's philosphy. And reason why Pep loves Pedro.

But Guardiola also says that his objectives as coach is to help the players to find the best way to reach the final third. Once there, it's up to the talent of the players and they gain much more freedom.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
A great video of Henry explaining Guardiola's Barcelona tactics when he was trained by Pep.

Guardiola has a philosophy that every player has very specific roles that they must conform to, that's true. That's why he got rid of Eto'o despite him being the top-striker for Barcelona in the 2008/2009 season, Eto'o was clashing with Pep's philosphy. And reason why Pep loves Pedro.

But Guardiola also says that his objectives as coach is to help the players to find the best way to reach the final third. Once there, it's up to the talent of the players and they gain much more freedom.
And thats why he payed an insane amount for Zlatan, and put him on the wing?

Pep is a great coach, no doubt, but make mistakes just like everyone, he doesnt plan everything out.

teteus

Supports
Flamengo

Pep is a great coach, no doubt, but make mistakes just like everyone, he doesnt plan everything out.
I don't know if he really wanted Zlatan. The big problem with Zlatan is that Messi was emerging as a false 9 and clashing with Zlatan's ideal position. Zlatan complained that Barcelona had bought a Ferrari, but Guardiola was using it as a fusca. The buy of Zlatan was a mistake for whoever made it. Anyway, Guardiola had already made a mistake in getting rid of Eto'o.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
The case with Zlatan is very interessting. Mainly because he was bought by Barcelona because Pep wanted him! Obviously Guardiola had a plan how to use Ibrahimovic but it didnt work out as he expected. It must be noted that Fabregas later had problems to adapt to his role at Pep's Barca. Guardiola clashed also with Mario Mandjukic at Bayern but had absolutely no problems with his replacemet Lewandowski! After his first season at City where it seemed that Aguero dont fit his system he managed him to 2 of his best seasons at City.. So its not as black & white when it comes to Guardiola and his strikers..

Ladron de redcafe

He didn't pay anything for Zlatan. Laporta did. Pep didn't want Zalatan. He wanted David Villa to replace Eto and had in fact planned the Eto for Villa swap in the summer of 2008, but Xavi stepped in and urged Pep go give Eto a chance.

The next summer, Laporta went for the big name (Zlatan for Eto + cash) and when it didn't work out, he finally relented and gave Pep the guy he originally and always wanted (Villa) the following summer.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Why do people here keep saying he didnt want Zlatan?

There are so many stories saying that he was the one pushing for him.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular

This is ridiculous. Sané left city a much better player than he was before playing under Pep, he himself talks about the big influence Pep had in his way of playing.
Sané had (and still has at Bayern were he isn't a starter) concentration issues and often has difficulties respecting tactics, but he has a raw talent that seems exceptional. He won the best young player award at City, there's no way anyone can say that Pep didn't improve Sané or that he wasn't good for City.
Pep and Eto didn't get along because of Eto's ego, but that didn't stop them from winning every title there was to win that season. And guess what, in Eto's dream 11, he chose Pep as the coach because he says he's the best coach he had tactically.

Why do people here keep saying he didnt want Zlatan?

There are so many stories saying that he was the one pushing for him.
There's nothing surprising about Pep not wanting a player with such an inflated ego as Zlatan.
Zlatan didn't actually even lose his spot to Messi, he lost it to Bojan because he wasn't performing the way Pep wanted.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Blueman

Supports
Man City

I totally agree with this. Pep doesnt like trouble makers though, he likes compliant hard workers. You can call it mismanagement in that he didnt make the most out of it but ultimately Sane wanted to leave and that isnt good for the dressing room. I would dsay that's good man management and is exactly what SAF did, its all about squad harmony

SER19

Up against a really ordinary dortmund side tonight, missing arguably their best player. Dortmund have started well but expect the usual City pattern and pick them apart with much fresher set of much more expensive players. 3 nil probably

Edit- there's the first. Really just coasting through a CL quarter final

Judas

Open to offers
It would be pretty pathetic if they don't win the quad given the state of world football and the embarrassment of riches they have compared to literally everyone else. It should be nailed on.

gibers

It would be pretty pathetic if they don't win the quad given the state of world football and the embarrassment of riches they have compared to literally everyone else. It should be nailed on.
Pathetic to achieve something that has never been done in football history. What? Also, Bayern are stronger than City. So they aren't even favourites. Real Madrid had a more stacked squad than City and they didn't even win a treble.

Judas

Open to offers
Can Bayerm or Real win the PL, League Cup, FA Cup and CL this year then? Wasn't aware of that. No idea why you're bringing them up, they're only relevant in one competition.

With covid the playing field has never really been fair when you look at their squad compared to the rest of England, that's the obvious point.

gibers

Can Bayerm or Real win the PL, League Cup, FA Cup and CL this year then? Wasn't aware of that. No idea why you're bringing them up, they're only relevant in one competition.

With covid the playing field has never really been fair when you look at their squad compared to the rest of England, that's the obvious point.
But how would it be pathetic for them not to win the CL when Bayern are the best team in the CL? They aren't favourites over Bayern. if they meet them in the CL.

Ladron de redcafe

You said that it would be pathetic if they don't make history and achieve something that has never been done. Do you actually believe the words that you're typing?

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
It would be pathetic is they are not leading every team 5-0 by half time

AshRK

It looks like their year to finally win the CL. From the ban getting overturned , getting some piss easy draws till now, and to add insult to injury refs giving them favorable decisions. How the feck was Bellingham's goal ruled out.

If they win it fair fecks but seriously some real luck for them too.

RooneyLegend

Far from impressive, infact they were really ordinary. Bayern is gonna wax em. If Sancho comes back for the second leg they have every chance of being knocked out. It amazes me that prem teams think the only way to play against them is to park the bus when teams like Dortmund show there's another way.

RooneyLegend

You clearly don't know Bayern exist.

Rojofiam

For me, they'll be slight underdogs against Bayern / PSG, given that they advance against Dortmund.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Far from impressive, infact they were really ordinary. Bayern is gonna wax em. If Sancho comes back for the second leg they have every chance of being knocked out. It amazes me that prem teams think the only way to play against them is to park the bus when teams like Dortmund show there's another way.
I think that it also has to do with the fact that they are babies when it comes to Europe. The teams they go out to in Europe, are ones they'd comfortably sweep aside in the PL.

Judas

Open to offers
I didn't expect so many people to jump in to defend City really. This place is in a funny mood. IT would actually be ultra pathetic if they don't win the quad this year, and next year. Probably year after would be a step too far.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
I didn't expect so many people to jump in to defend City really. This place is in a funny mood. IT would actually be ultra pathetic if they don't win the quad this year, and next year. Probably year after would be a step too far.
I thought you were only being ironic, not so sure about it anymore though!

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think everyone is just ridiculing your logic.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
For me, they'll be slight underdogs against Bayern / PSG, given that they advance against Dortmund.
No chance they’re underdogs against PSG. We went to their ground and were comfortably the better side, and the red card at home cost us. City would easily beat PSG in my opinion.

It’s all up to Bayern in reality we need them.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
No chance they’re underdogs against PSG. We went to their ground and were comfortably the better side, and the red card at home cost us. City would easily beat PSG in my opinion.

It’s all up to Bayern in reality we need them.
Football doesn’t really work like that. Firstly Utd are a very good team especially on our day and we played fantastically well against PSG home and away, remember we have also beaten City this season too. Secondly, City went out last year to Lyon and in previous years have gone out plenty of tunes unexpectedly, it likely won’t happen forever but PSG are more than capable of beating them if everyone is fit.

Persoanlly I’m not fully writing off Dortmund. I thought for large parts of the game last night they looked the more likely to score on the counter. If not for a corrupt ref they would be walking away with a brilliant result.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Football doesn’t really work like that. Firstly Utd are a very good team especially on our day and we played fantastically well against PSG home and away, remember we have also beaten City this season too. Secondly, City went out last year to Lyon and in previous years have gone out plenty of tunes unexpectedly, it likely won’t happen forever but PSG are more than capable of beating them if everyone is fit.

Persoanlly I’m not fully writing off Dortmund. I thought for large parts of the game last night they looked the more likely to score on the counter. If not for a corrupt ref they would be walking away with a brilliant result.
Yeah I do agree, but it’s not like PSG are lighting up their league either. It’s all academic anyway as I can’t see PSG beating Bayern.

Rojofiam

What if PSG convincingly beats Bayern? Then they'll arguably be favorites vs City. Also PSG have changed managers since we've faced them.

Sylar

Lewandowski is a big miss for Bayern
I can just imagine city playing them with that situation

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
What if PSG convincingly beats Bayern? Then they'll arguably be favorites vs City. Also PSG have changed managers since we've faced them.
PSG won't convincingly beat Bayern because they changed managers. Pochettino doesn't seem to have the slightest clue what he's doing. Three home defeats in the league already.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
These are everything that is wrong with modern football. Having more money & a better squad than everyone else isn’t enough of a head start, they have to cheat too. Horrible horrible club. If they win the quad it will be a disgrace..

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Only saw part of the game yesterday, City were pretty poor. Can see Dortmund having a good chance in the second leg.

Reckon there is a mental block there. Last couple of years they have made shocking exits to Spurs and that horror miss by Sterling last year. They are nowhere near as assured in CL as in domestic football. They might win it this year but have to get over this huge barrier first. If they're up against adversity at any point in the CL campaign they could fold and get thrashed.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Only saw part of the game yesterday, City were pretty poor. Can see Dortmund having a good chance in the second leg.

Reckon there is a mental block there. Last couple of years they have made shocking exits to Spurs and that horror miss by Sterling last year. They are nowhere near as assured in CL as in domestic football. They might win it this year but have to get over this huge barrier first. If they're up against adversity at any point in the CL campaign they could fold and get thrashed.
We played ok, luckily got away with a shocking ref decision but we've had some shockers in the CL in the past couple of season which have cost us, I think we should do ok over there, feck off this false 9 bollox and play with Jesus or Aguero and we'll be fine.