Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
They weren't particularly impressive last night. Two well worked goals but that aside the majority of the inspiration came from Foden and De Bruyne, and then needed a very questionable refereeing performance to even walk away with a vulnerable advantage. Far from secure in this tie. They'll score in Dortmund, but if Haaland is given better service he could blow them away.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
They weren't particularly impressive last night. Two well worked goals but that aside the majority of the inspiration came from Foden and De Bruyne, and then needed a very questionable refereeing performance to even walk away with a vulnerable advantage. Far from secure in this tie. They'll score in Dortmund, but if Haaland is given better service he could blow them away.
City were very impressive defensively. Didn't give Haaland a sniff (bar that rampage run he did).

They were also wasteful in front of goal.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
City were very impressive defensively. Didn't give Haaland a sniff (bar that rampage run he did).

They were also wasteful in front of goal.
Was clean through in first half and saved by Ederson? I thought he was a bit reluctant to take the shot on in part of game I watched.

City looked vulnerable to me and bailed out by the ref, Ederson fouled Bellingham if anything. If Dortmund can start fast at home I can see City going out.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Was clean through in first half and saved by Ederson? I thought he was a bit reluctant to take the shot on in part of game I watched.

City looked vulnerable to me and bailed out by the ref, Ederson fouled Bellingham if anything. If Dortmund can start fast at home I can see City going out.
City this game led in xG, actual shots on target, and chances created. Definitely not their best but they were the better side.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
We played ok, luckily got away with a shocking ref decision but we've had some shockers in the CL in the past couple of season which have cost us, I think we should do ok over there, feck off this false 9 bollox and play with Jesus or Aguero and we'll be fine.
Haven't most of their victories this season come with playing a false 9 ?
The main issue yesterday IMO was that he should have switched KDB and Silva's positions, KDB plays better as a false 9 than Silva and Silva's energy is needed in the midfield.

There's no way he'll start Aguero in a very important game.

RooneyLegend

I think that it also has to do with the fact that they are babies when it comes to Europe. The teams they go out to in Europe, are ones they'd comfortably sweep aside in the PL.
Nah, the prem is making them look better than they are. Especially the side they have this year.

T_Model101

Watch their wages never be mentioned again in any mainstream media channel anywhere ever :lol:
Although, my god we've done great work in recent years getting Sanchez and fellow clowns off the books

Cast5

As if it matters.
Of course it matters, clubs who can’t afford to operate like city do can operate like that and go bust which shouldn’t be allowed to happen, football is about all teams, not just Man City. It’s disgusting that they’re allowed to spend what they spend without repercussion, before you mention debt here, we’re not talking about serviceable debt, we’re talking about a club that can post a loss of 126 million and have the highest wage bill in the league, owners of other clubs shouldn’t be allowed to come in and absolutely ruin clubs by spending money they don’t have. It’s not fair on the fans. It’s terrible for football.

Last edited:

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Haven't most of their victories this season come with playing a false 9 ?
The main issue yesterday IMO was that he should have switched KDB and Silva's positions, KDB plays better as a false 9 than Silva and Silva's energy is needed in the midfield.

There's no way he'll start Aguero in a very important game.
KDB was amazing, man of the match quite easily against Dortmund

Giggsyking

tomaldinho1

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Manchester City reveal £126m loss due to Covid in annual financial results
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ty/man-city-news-covid-finances-b1827390.html

Manchester City wage bill rises to English-record £351m
https://qlur.com/news/735086/manchester-city-wage-expense-increases-to-english-record-351m
So United have managed to shave a lot off their wage bill and remain profitable during the pandemic in certain quarters,
Yet City have increased their wage bill whilst losing money.

FFP really is dead.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
KDB was amazing, man of the match quite easily against Dortmund
I don't see how that contradicts what i said though. KDB played well but as a team, Bernardo's energy in the midfield suits them better than having him as a false 9 (a role which KDB plays better).

Pep's Suit

Barca and Inter also announced losses around €100m for the 19/20 season so I guess it'll be similar with many other teams. When they signed new players, new contracts nobody was expecting something like covid so FFP would hit almost every club.

ExecutionerWasp001

Manchester City reveal £126m loss due to Covid in annual financial results
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ty/man-city-news-covid-finances-b1827390.html
Khaldoon Al Mubarak
“What we had, and still have, is a business that is fundamentally strong, with committed shareholders and with significant assets, built carefully over a decade and upon more than a century of history"

:rolleyes: What is this Century of history he speaks of. Their history consists of under achievement & relegations.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Barca and Inter also announced losses around €100m for the 19/20 season so I guess it'll be similar with many other teams. When they signed new players, new contracts nobody was expecting something like covid so FFP would hit almost every club.
The year end is June so while Covid would have an impact, it would've only been for 3-4 months of the year.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
How many wins does City need to win the league if Man utd win all of their 8 remaining games

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
This indignation on here about the City numbers is a bit rich.

United have almost half a billion debt and are projected to lose close to £200m in 2020-2021

COVID is affecting every club on the globe, has little to do with FFP imo

MU655

How many wins does City need to win the league if Man utd win all of their 8 remaining games
They will have to win 3 and draw 1 of the remaining 6 games to guarantee it through points, but considering the gap in goal difference, they will likely only need to win 3.

FujiVice

So you're telling me we've lost the same amount of games as the greatest team that ever lived ever, Manchester Citeh?

cyberman

They look tired to me. Aguero could be huge for them for the rest of the season, just scoring those times when City are lathargic in their play.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
But but but Man City have 25 world class players.

Squad depth is nowhere as good as some on here claim!

Walters_19_MuFc

They look tired to me. Aguero could be huge for them for the rest of the season, just scoring those times when City are lathargic in their play.
Tired? Pep made 7 changes and has had the luxury to do so most of the season. Tiredness should not even be considered.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Most teams are tired to be fair. More so the teams involved in European competition. Been a brutal season.

talking robot

Their run in is pretty simple apart from the Chelsea match. Hard to see where the losses would come from, and it's also hard to believe that we'll win all our remaining games.

The Serb

Supports
Red Star Belgrade
But but but Man City have 25 world class players.

Squad depth is nowhere as good as some on here claim!
They have won 27 / drew 1 / lost 2 out of their last 30 matches. That’s ridiculous form and they’ve done it whilst rotating fairly frequently and keeping a fresh squad. Today was a bad day for them yes but their squad depth is insane compared to most other teams. Their bench today bar 1/2 would be starting in most top teams.