Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

crossy1686

career ending
Their run in is pretty simple apart from the Chelsea match. Hard to see where the losses would come from, and it's also hard to believe that we'll win all our remaining games.
They'll obviously win the league but feck me, I'd love to push them to the wire in the last 5 games, just to see a Pep meltdown.

Guy Incognito

But but but Man City have 25 world class players.

Squad depth is nowhere as good on many on here claim!
It isn't, but the names they had on the bench today and midweek is still a step up from the rest of the league.

That sort of depth is the only reason people are talking up their chances of a full sweep. They create bags of chances, and keep the ball than anyone in the division.

I still think they'll get found out in Europe because Bayern (if Lewi returns) or PSG (with Mbappe/Neymar) would properly test the Stones/Dias partnership and they are clinical. Sterling and Jesus aren't.

League Cup final will be very interesting too, especially if Kane/Son are in form and Spurs score first.

cyberman

Tired? Pep made 7 changes and has had the luxury to do so most of the season. Tiredness should not even be considered.
Theyve looked mechanical for a while now. You can see it seeping into their play for a few games. Its tiring defending from the front

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There's not much drama today.
They put a mix and match second string out because they're in between two big euro ties.

Dan_F

Really hard not to look back at those Sheffield United and West Brom games now.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
But but but Man City have 25 world class players.

Squad depth is nowhere as good as some on here claim!
:lol: You can’t be serious. Their 2nd XI would most likely finish in the top 4 or at least come close.

gibers

It isn't, but the names they had on the bench today and midweek is still a step up from the rest of the league.

That sort of depth is the only reason people are talking up their chances of a full sweep. They create bags of chances, and keep the ball than anyone in the division.

I still think they'll get found out in Europe because Bayern (if Lewi returns) or PSG (with Mbappe/Neymar) would properly test the Stones/Dias partnership and they are clinical. Sterling and Jesus aren't.

League Cup final will be very interesting too, especially if Kane/Son are in form and Spurs score first.
Bayern are a clear level above them. If they get through Dortmund, which I doubt tbh, Bayern with Lewa if they go through will put 5 past them.

talking robot

They'll obviously win the league but feck me, I'd love to push them to the wire in the last 5 games, just to see a Pep meltdown.
There can be a psychological benefit for next year if we can manage to push them a bit at the tail end of the season. Belief can grow that next year there's a chance of overtaking them. That might also benefit recruitment a bit. Someone like a Harry Kane, Varane, or Haaland could look at the final table and think "United only need to make up 4 points on City next year. I can win a big trophy there and be the difference maker." If we finish 13 points off first, the way people reason about our situation will be different.

Giggsyking

Hope they fecking get knocked out of all cup competitions. Dont want these to win a treble or even a double again.

Walters_19_MuFc

Theyve looked mechanical for a while now. You can see it seeping into their play for a few games. Its tiring defending from the front
I think we can both agree that Leeds play the same way and they didnt look tired. They had 10 men, too.

Dont think there's any excuses from Pep today.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
:lol: You can’t be serious. Their 2nd XI would most likely finish in the top 4 or at least come close.
Steffen, Walker, Garcia, Laporte, Ake, Mendy, Fernandinho, Silva, Torres, Aguero and Foden

You think that makes top 4? Two injury prone players, a past it Fernandinho. Shit Walker?

They have 4 or 5 good players outwith the starting 11 but the squad is still filled with issues.

The likes of Jesus and Zinchenko are first 11 and wouldn't start for United, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool or Leicester.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Steffen, Walker, Garcia, Laporte, Ake, Mendy, Fernandinho, Silva, Torres, Aguero and Foden

You think that makes top 4? Two injury prone players, a past it Fernandinho. Shit Walker?

They have 4 or 5 good players outwith the starting 11 but the squad is still filled with issues.

The likes of Jesus and Zinchenko are first 11 and wouldn't start for United, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool or Leicester.
You high mate?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain

Yes their XI is good enough. Other teams they would be fighting with have injury prone and past it players, too.

Bearded One

I can only imagine.....

If Mourinho does a masterclass against them in the cup final
Dortmund kicks them out in Europe when they play in Germany which they are capable of doing
And the big one - if we go on an unbelievable run whilst they crumble and so we nick the league

Means they will only have the FA cup to fight for

:lol::lol::lol:

Eli Zee

they really have a great shot at the treble this year... don't see how they'd lose to anyone not Bayern in the CL. and the fa cup - league they are highly favored too.

We won a hard fought treble. they may end up making it look like a cake walk.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
they really have a great shot at the treble this year... don't see how they'd lose to anyone not Bayern in the CL. and the fa cup - league they are highly favored too.

They may and they’re no doubt a great side, but even if they do the quadruple I still wouldn’t say it’s better than our treble. Look at the calibre of sides around Europe in 1999. Barcelona, Juventus and Bayern Munich were all elite sides, the latter two especially at that time. We also had arguably the best Arsenal side ever to contend with in the league and they pushed us all the way. Not to mention beating the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle in the FA cup. Teams were stronger back then.

Who have city beaten this season? They’re going to win a premier league where their nearest challenger was a team in transition, they’ve had the easiest cup draw known to man and they’re about to reach the CL semis by beating the team 5th in the bundesliga.

It’s still impressive though. They’re definitely one hell of a team, the best in the world on their day in my opinion.

SER19

They'll do the quadruple and probably comfortably really.

League is done

League cup is done

Only Chelsea in way in FA Cup

And over 2 legs against current bayern they'd win. Even we beat psg this season. Whoever they get in semi is pretty much the final as other half is so weak.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC

They simply won't. They don't have the killer stincts up front to make it count when it matters, overall an extremely wasteful team, you can win games or titles with an average or good defence, but you can't win without killer instincts up front.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20

Ederson
Cancelo
Stones
Dias
Mendy
Gundogen
Rodri
de Bruyne
Sterling
Jesus
Mahrez

Steffan
Walker
Laporte
Garcia
Ake
Fernandinho
Zinchenko
Silva
Torres
Aguero
Foden

I just wanted to write that out for anyone questioning their squad depth.

Their second 11 would definitely be in the mix for top 4. No question about it. A few good signings away from being clear favorites for it.

The defence alone costs £142 million. Fernandinho can still play and has a lot of energy and good technical players beside him.

Torres is a good player and Foden is one of the best young players in the world, and they only have one of the greatest PL strikers in history up top.

Most teams would be trying to hold onto him at any cost at only 32 years old, but not City, because they don’t need to and Pep doesn’t fancy him.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

Really hard not to look back at those Sheffield United and West Brom games now.
More than just that.

Sheffield United
Wba
Arsenal
Palace
Everton

Was that 4 draws and 1 defeat over about an 8 game period?

Then when you consider Leicesters last minute equaliser from a cross when they had one man in the box to mark and bailly fell asleep.

We should definitely be closer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

You are joking right? Those players are good enough to be starting XI in top 4 sides. Garcia is being targeted by Barcelona, Laporte, Fernandinho, Silva, Aguero and Foden are no brainer. Torres & Ake can be debatable but those two would still get into Spurs and arsenal XI no brainer who are trying to compete in the top 4 sides and those two would improve them. Torres would also get into Leicester starting XI.

OmarUnited4ever

Today they played Ake, Ferran, Fernandinho, Zinchenko, very strong squad players, yet they lost today.

Not so easy to rotate huh

Dan_F

More than just that.

Sheffield United
Wba
Arsenal
Palace
Everton

Was that 4 draws and 1 defeat over about an 8 game period?

Then when you consider Leicesters last minute equaliser from a cross when they had one man in the box to mark and bailly fell asleep.

We should definitely be closer.
Definitely. I only mentioned those two because of how shit the two teams are. Especially Sheffield United.

Bearded One

Dortmund can knock this lot out

I wish PL teams would believe more

They are a fantastic side but fear is one of the tools to get PL teams mostly, incapacitated against them.

Redlyn

They may and they’re no doubt a great side, but even if they do the quadruple I still wouldn’t say it’s better than our treble. Look at the calibre of sides around Europe in 1999. Barcelona, Juventus and Bayern Munich were all elite sides, the latter two especially at that time. We also had arguably the best Arsenal side ever to contend with in the league and they pushed us all the way. Not to mention beating the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle in the FA cup. Teams were stronger back then.

Who have city beaten this season? They’re going to win a premier league where their nearest challenger was a team in transition, they’ve had the easiest cup draw known to man and they’re about to reach the CL semis by beating the team 5th in the bundesliga.

It’s still impressive though. They’re definitely one hell of a team, the best in the world on their day in my opinion.
Let's be honest a quadruple beats a treble because math. Anything else and its just united fans wiping their tears.
You can only beat whats infront of you and to win all the trophies it means you beat absolutely everyone put in front of you. Its not their fault united has been in transition for ages.
But if thinking that would help you digest it, then go for it.
Also they wont be winning the quadruple, because i wont let that happen :nervous:. I am sticking pins into a city doll as we speak.

Dortmund will knock them out with the power of youth and friendship!

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Let's be honest a quadruple beats a treble because math. Anything else and its just united fans wiping their tears.
You can only beat whats infront of you and to win all the trophies it means you beat absolutely everyone put in front of you. Its not their fault united has been in transition for ages.
Also they wont be winning the quadruple, because i wont let that happen :nervous:. I am sticking pins into a city doll as we speak.
Absolute rubbish. The team that Ferguson built and the way it was done was far superior. Doing it after 1 billion isn’t the same thing, even if you do pick up an extra trophy along the way.

If it were Liverpool winning a treble, I would be wiping tears, but not this City team. If anything, I would have expected at least a CL by now!

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
There can be a psychological benefit for next year if we can manage to push them a bit at the tail end of the season. Belief can grow that next year there's a chance of overtaking them. That might also benefit recruitment a bit. Someone like a Harry Kane, Varane, or Haaland could look at the final table and think "United only need to make up 4 points on City next year. I can win a big trophy there and be the difference maker." If we finish 13 points off first, the way people reason about our situation will be different.
Interesting way of looking at it all right

Crustanoid

Hahaha
As if anything they ever achieve means anything to anyone with a sound mind?

A country buys a middling football club, pumps endless money in whilst destroying the entire economy of football and they ‘win’ stuff.
Even if they get a quadruple it’s the most hollow achievement in the history of football.
It literally means nothing

Redlyn

Absolute rubbish. The team that Ferguson built and the way it was done was far superior. Doing it after 1 billion isn’t the same thing, even if you do pick up an extra trophy along the way.
If it were Liverpool winning a treble, I would be wiping tears, but not this City team. If anything, I would have expected at least a CL by now!
Hahaha
As if anything they ever achieve means anything to anyone with a sound mind?

A country buys a middling football club, pumps endless money in whilst destroying the entire economy of football and they ‘win’ stuff.
Even if they get a quadruple it’s the most hollow achievement in the history of football.
It literally means nothing
The original poster i was replying was making the point that a potential city quad is lesser achievement than the united treble because of the strength of the opposition city is facing.
I dont agree with that. Not discussing the hollowness of it, completely irrelevant to the "what" however you can complain about the "how" all you like.

tomaldinho1

Today they played Ake, Ferran, Fernandinho, Zinchenko, very strong squad players, yet they lost today.

Not so easy to rotate huh
I mean they had 70% + possession and over 20 shots and Leeds had 2 and scored 2. It’s very easy to rotate with that squad because there’s literally 2 players plus per position.