Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Noticed a few new city accounts on here after they got through in the Champions league the other day, all the broadband must be down in Stockport tonight.
Busy downloading oasis songs to make themselves feel better.

BorisManUtd

Well that's treble for them denied (at least proper treble that includes Fa cup), good enough for me. If Jose can beat them on 25th and Poch in semis of CL, then great. That said, I very much admire and respect Pep and would like to see him win Champions league again, just not with City if possible :lol:

Didn’t even realise this was on today. Very happy to see the result.

hopefully they didn’t win at least two of the other cups.

its been sickening to lister this ‘quad’ being talked about in the media.

come on spurs.

Oranges038

Actually forgot this was on.

Can shut up about the quadruple for another few months. Seriously never get why they even bring it up every year, the likelihood of it happening is minute.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Actually forgot this was on.

Can shut up about the quadruple for another few months. Seriously never get why they even bring it up every year, the likelihood of it happening is minute.
They literally don't the media do and keep asking about it. I mean Pep literally said 100 times this season "No quadruple, its impossible". Zinchenko I believe said something stupid when asked along the lines of "i see players in there hungry to win every game" but was quickly put in his place by the Pep and the club, everyone else has said "Not happening" because the reality is its about a billion to one to actually pull off.

For the media its just a way to drum up the dislike of City and have places like the caf, rawk going mad about a potential oil club quadruple, sering its inevitable, then celebrating like United/Liverpool won the world cup when it doesn't happen.

OldSchoolManc

They literally don't the media do and keep asking about it. I mean Pep literally said 100 times this season "No quadruple, its impossible". Zinchenko I believe said something stupid when asked along the lines of "i see players in there hungry to win every game" but was quickly put in his place by the Pep and the club, everyone else has said "Not happening" because the reality is its about a billion to one to actually pull off.

For the media its just a way to drum up the dislike of City and have places like the caf, rawk going mad about a potential oil club quadruple, sering its inevitable, then celebrating like United/Liverpool won the world cup when it doesn't happen.
I think City’s main problem was an in-house one.
I distinctly remember Vincent Kompany banging on about winning a quintuple for what seems like 2 seasons.
It’s embarrassing. Don’t count your chickens. Don’t tell everyone you’re bigger and better than you are.
It makes the bang from the fall even louder

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think City’s main problem was an in-house one.
I distinctly remember Vincent Kompany banging on about winning a quintuple for what seems like 2 seasons.
It’s embarrassing. Don’t count your chickens. Don’t tell everyone you’re bigger and better than you are.
It makes the bang from the fall even louder
Kompany gave one interview 6 years ago... he didn't bang on about it. In that interview, he basically said "If we don't do it, the owners will keep buying till someone does".
His exact words
"We can't promise it will happen now, but eventually it will have to happen," said the Belgium defender.
"We are the players at the moment who have been chosen to do it. If it's not us then it will be other players."

Since then no one has said anything about it till Zinchenko and he said its possible but never made any claims that it would be won.
"Inside the dressing room I can see hungry eyes," said 24-year-old Zinchenko.
"Bayern Munich won everything last season and Barcelona did it the last year with Pep, so everything is possible.
"I would say this period right now is the most important two months of our careers."
So basically he said we should have a go at it which he got scolded for, not for saying we'd win it.

Literally 0 City players have said we'll win it since Kompany and Kompany said some City team at some stage would because of the resources we have and how a team can be replaced. Its a stick that other fans use to try and beat this City team but the mantra from City is always the same "One game at a time" "Its almost impossible" I've read more United fans saying we'll win the quad on here and its inevitable than City fans have said so on mancityfans.net. I can't see bluemoon anymore to gauge what kind of crazyness went on over there.

OverratedOpinion

Is it nuts to believe that there is the chance of the title race becoming slightly interesting over the next few weeks? We can clearly go on runs of form where we win a load of games in a row and it seems like we might be primed to do that with Cavani back and in form with Pogba and Bruno behind him. I have seen better teams than the current City side suddenly go on a bad run in the home stretch.

I just find it strange that this is not even talked about as a possibility.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Is it nuts to believe that there is the chance of the title race becoming slightly interesting over the next few weeks? We can clearly go on runs of form where we win a load of games in a row and it seems like we might be primed to do that with Cavani back and in form with Pogba and Bruno behind him. I have seen better teams than the current City side suddenly go on a bad run in the home stretch.

Yes. City would have to drop 9 points out of 18 and we would have to take 21 points out of 21. Neither of those things are going to happen.

Adamsk7

It’s still a VERY long shot but beat Burnley and Leeds and if they lose or even draw to Villa it’ll be interesting.

OverratedOpinion

Yes. City would have to drop 9 points out of 18 and we would have to take 21 points out of 21. Neither of those things are going to happen.
Yeah but what percentage would you put on that?

100?

They are a very good side and I mean nothing bad by this but I do not think they are a great, great team.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Rotate, with fixture congestion in mind?

One can argue it backfired but given that KDB went off limping his concerns seemed justified.
Not really...

It's becoming an invalid excuse nowadays, he made 8 changes which wasn't necessary at all. To make matter worse he played players out of form Sterling, Mendy and Torres, he played a double pivot which hardly ever works out for City and cut supply off with two attackers out of form and no suppliers in midfield what was he looking for? Gundo was largely rested against Leeds as were Foden and Rodri could've played them and rotated a little again against Aston Villa. He will probably play a strong XI against Spurs in the final which again will look silly as FA Cup > Carabaro. Chelsea are in a very similar position as City this season but Tuchel didn't make many changes especially playing out of form players.

The bulk of this is on Pep, I'd say 50% him, 25% City GK that made that mistake leading to goal and 25% to the players, but it's a bit hard when he put them in a bad position to begin with.

The more and more I think about having this much depth it's just not good for Pep his team's will hardly reach there full potential.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah but what percentage would you put on that?

100?

They are a very good side and I mean nothing bad by this but I do not think they are a great, great team.
I'm more confident we'll win it because you won't win 7 of 7, you just aren't consistent enough, so really City would have to have less than 1.5 point per game to get over the line. If there was a derby in there given your recent record, I think it'd be game on because a 6 pointer would be huge.

We need 11 points from Villa, Palace, Newcastle, Brighton to be sure. With bonus points to play for vs Chelsea and Everton if you guys are perfect. If you guys even draw one game, we need only 3 wins from those 6 cause you aren't over hauling our goal difference and you've got Liverpool and Leicester in the run in. We could well stumble over the line but I think the ship on us losing the title has sailed. He also have a history of dealing with these tough run ins very well when the shit hits the fan. 8 out 8 to catch United, 8 of 8 to catch Liverpool and 15 of 15 to beat Liverpool on the home stretch.

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
Not really...

It's becoming an invalid excuse nowadays, he made 8 changes which wasn't necessary at all. To make matter worse he played players out of form Sterling, Mendy and Torres, he played a double pivot which hardly ever works out for City and cut supply off with two attackers out of form and no suppliers in midfield what was he looking for? Gundo was largely rested against Leeds as were Foden and Rodri could've played them and rotated a little again against Aston Villa. He will probably play a strong XI against Spurs in the final which again will look silly as FA Cup > Carabaro. Chelsea are in a very similar position as City this season but Tuchel didn't make many changes especially playing out of form players.

The bulk of this is on Pep, I'd say 50% him, 25% City GK that made that mistake leading to goal and 25% to the players, but it's a bit hard when he put them in a bad position to begin with.

The more and more I think about having this much depth it's just not good for Pep his team's will hardly reach there full potential.
Nonsense, we had 4 trophies to play for and rotation had to come somewhere. You can't just run players into the ground. Heavy rotation was necessary as it will be in at least 2 more games this season. Heavy rotation is how when everyone else was struggling we won 27 of 28 games to pull away. Now when everyone else has less games we are suffering on the back of having to rotate when others don't. Would I rather have lost today than against Villa in the league, you bet I would and so would Pep.

OverratedOpinion

I'm more confident we'll win it because you won't win 7 of 7, you just aren't consistent enough, so really City would have to have less than 1.5 point per game to get over the line. If there was a derby in there given your recent record, I think it'd be game on because a 6 pointer would be huge.

We need 11 points from Villa, Palace, Newcastle, Brighton to be sure. With bonus points to play for vs Chelsea and Everton if you guys are perfect. If you guys even draw one game, we need only 3 wins from those 6 cause you aren't over hauling our goal difference and you've got Liverpool and Leicester in the run in. We could well stumble over the line but I think the ship on us losing the title has sailed. He also have a history of dealing with these tough run ins very well when the shit hits the fan. 8 out 8 to catch United, 8 of 8 to catch Liverpool and 15 of 15 to beat Liverpool on the home stretch.
No I think it is definitely more than likely you will win it. But saying that, our side is not the finished article but have shown on multiple occasions that we can win a load of games in a row out of nowhere.

I hope we make it interesting, even if we don't win it.

Oranges038

Maybe not this year but it's been mentioned in the past by players and the media have carried on with every year. Because they love hyping these things up and gorging on the failure when it doesn't happen.

But, I really don't think the media need to drum up a dislike for City.

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
Nonsense, we had 4 trophies to play for and rotation had to come somewhere. You can't just run players into the ground. Heavy rotation was necessary as it will be in at least 2 more games this season. Heavy rotation is how when everyone else was struggling we won 27 of 28 games to pull away. Now when everyone else has less games we are suffering on the back of having to rotate when others don't. Would I rather have lost today than against Villa in the league, you bet I would and so would Pep.
I never said not to rotate, but to rotate between 8 players? Chelsea only rotated 4 players last week, 2 players in this CL and now only 2 players for this game. Pep rotated 8 players, as I said no one said to not rotate, but he could've played Foden/Gundo while resting Zinc/BSilva, then rotated over the week a little more, he went all at one shot, which is a worthy criticism, hardly played some of these guys then throws them in a FA semi-final? The whole argument for Leeds lineup was that they were being rotated for Dortmund/Chelsea and Spurs coming up.

croadyman

Would rip your arm off for a chance of getting within 6 points of them after the scousers game but that involves them drawing with Villa/Palace and us turning over Leeds again which will be much tougher than the game in December

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

De Bruynes injury makes it possible IMO, but highly unlikely. We pretty much need a perfect finish to the season and hope they drop off a little bit. A few tough fixtures and fixture congestion means it's slightly possible, but pretty much a 1% chance at best thing.

crossy1686

career ending
Expect them to go on a win their next few games. The defeat will kick them up the arse unfortunately.

Will be very interesting to see how they cope with the pressure if we manage to beat Burnley and win our other games though

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
This City side is one of the greatest in football history. A truly brilliant football team and one I have the utmost respect for.

They'll go on to win the league at a canter and deservedly so.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I never said not to rotate, but to rotate between 8 players? Chelsea only rotated 4 players last week, 2 players in this CL and now only 2 players for this game. Pep rotated 8 players, as I said no one said to not rotate, but he could've played Foden/Gundo while resting Zinc/BSilva, then rotated over the week a little more, he went all at one shot, which is a worthy criticism, hardly played some of these guys then throws them in a FA semi-final? The whole argument for Leeds lineup was that they were being rotated for Dortmund/Chelsea and Spurs coming up.
Sorry I was too harsh, I think the point was we have a much bigger squad than Chelsea and should be able to handle it. We've also played more games than any club in Europe since Christmas. In an ideal world Pep would have rotated in an out a few but losing to Leeds (because of rotation) wasn't in the plan. That immediately put a little pressure on us in the league and Pep had to hold most the first XI back for Villa. If we don't beat Villa we could well be only 6 points ahead of United when everything evens out.

Chelsea was our 28th game since we last played Chelsea on January 3rd. It was Chelsea's 24th. We also had a possible extra two matches on them in the run in (had we won) but now we have potentially the same amount of games.
To put it in perspective. Only United have played as many and Spurs have played 25 but both have had the luxury of being able to rotate in the Europa.

City and United - 28
Spurs - 25
Chelsea - 24
The gap to teams like Liverpool - 21 is huge for 14 weeks.

Pep's Suit

City totally lost their form in last 2-3 weeks. If Mourinho was in charge I'd see Spurs as favourites in the league cup final. I don't know. Probably another 7-8 points will be enough to win PL now but don't expect the remainder of this season to be fun.

croadyman

Personally I never started.
I've said on here in the past that it's just a media thing that no City fans ever buy into.
Season has really lost meaning with this news and think both of our clubs need to suffer the consequences of being part of this pathetic breakaway league even though it hurts the fanbases

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Season has really lost meaning with this news and think both of our clubs need to suffer the consequences of being part of this pathetic breakaway league even though it hurts the fanbases
Don't disagree with that.
All I would say is let's see where we end up with it. I think that many cards are yet to be played before we see the endgame.

croadyman

Don't disagree with that.
All I would say is let's see where we end up with it. I think that many cards are yet to be played before we see the endgame.
Whatever happens that yankee scum should have the club taken off them but never gonna happen