Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Fitting year for them to do a treble. An accurate depiction of the state of this game.

SER19

Every team City could have played will have been underwhelming by your standards though..

PSG are a tougher tie than Barca, Madrid, any of the Italian teams, any of the English sides.

Basically City's hypothetical CL win will be undermined because they didn't play Bayern.
No, just that psg, who are a good side will have been their toughest game. To win a CL that's a very nice route. Genuinely think Real Chelsea are the weakest semi finalists in a long long time. Chelsea lost 5-2 to West brom the other week! Yes yes one game doesn't define a team but its clear enough watching the tie that those standard of teams would make a final once in a decade

Marwood

Last two champs league games they've benefited from a wrongly disallowed goal, a soft pen, two soft goals and a red card.

I know everybody needs a bit of luck but that's a bit much.

dbs235

No, just that psg, who are a good side will have been their toughest game. To win a CL that's a very nice route. Genuinely think Real Chelsea are the weakest semi finalists in a long long time. Chelsea lost 5-2 to West brom the other week! Yes yes one game doesn't define a team but its clear enough watching the tie that those standard of teams would make a final once in a decade
Lyon and Leipzig made the semis last year.

SER19

Lyon and Leipzig made the semis last year.
Not against eachother, as in one of those as a finalist is an absolute walkover. As would winner of lyon v leipzig though I think last seasons leipzig would beat this year's real or Chelsea over 2 legs without much fuss

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Of course they are a good football team. That's what pretty much unlimited funds and no fear of FFP will do for you. Every single team in the Prem bar City has suffered huge dips in form because of covid, coincidence ??

Go back say 15 - 20 years, would any player worth his salt join City for the love of the club ? Kinkladze was probably the only true decent player of the modern era who joined them in the same way Juniniho joined Middlesborough. Other than that it's for the $$$ regardless of how they try to brainwash you. If City win the Champions League, give it a few years and nobody outside of their fan base would give their win recognition.

Outside new money, there is very little respect for City, Chelsea, PSG, RB Leipzig. Not to say Football doesn't need a shake up. However, i'd stick my neck out and say most 'neutral' fans would say Leicester winning the Prem or a team of that size winning the Champions League is much more enjoyable than City, PSG lifting the cup
You're preaching to the choir mate.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Last two champs league games they've benefited from a wrongly disallowed goal, a soft pen, two soft goals and a red card.

I know everybody needs a bit of luck but that's a bit much.
City have been shafted, luck wise in Europe. I doubt their fans will complain now that the turns have tabled.

Woodzy

Destined to win it I think. Was going to happen sooner or later but still not gonna be pretty.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Hard though it is to say it for some, this City team are a top outfit and if they win it, they are worthy. We can complain about luck and the draw etc, but if we look back to our last win of the CL we had our fair share. We have to double down our efforts and strain every sinew to catch them next year. This should spur us on, not deflate us.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Fake treble.

You have to win the main domestic cup for it to be a real treble.
It is a fake treble but the media will still put on par with ours and the inevitable combined treble XI will come with 10 City players and 1 United player.

This is gonna be worse than Liverpool winning the league.

peridigm

No amount of Neymar crying for being knocked out will make up for the misery of them winning it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Chelsea doesn't count? Bayern destroyed them 7-1
Nah Chelsea were trash under Lampard. There was nothing between them and a very average United team, and we actually finished ahead of them!

As for this topic, it was inevitable that City would win the CL. They're backed by a country and hired good managers. The only surprise is that it's taken this long.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
City have been shafted, luck wise in Europe. I doubt their fans will complain now that the turns have tabled.
No offense but you come across as so pro United's rivals these days :)

I don't actually agree with the luck thing of course. Every CL winner needs luck to win it. True for us, Madrid, Barcelona etc too

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I'm still annoyed at how Dortmund were shafted by the ref twice against City otherwise they could've beaten them.

This City team is not as good as they're being made out to be or Pep's past teams. Psg should've disposed them in the first half and then capitulated in the second with some poor goals conceded.

Hopefully they can recover in the 2nd leg because they definitely have the ability to, just lacking the mentality.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I have to admit, that second half performance was the best I have seen from a football team since peak Pep’s Barcelona. Wow. Whatever he said at half time is phenomenal - PSG had something like 5% possession in that second half.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Spot on. We have had 10 years of some ridiculous decisions and bad luck in Europe. Some shite performances as well obviously but the amount of madness that has gone against us is enough for a lifetime

TheReligion

Abusive
Let's not everyone forget how easily we dismantled city this season at the Etihad.

Good team but definitely beatable if you play the right way against them and do your research.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Let's not everyone forget how easily we dismantled city this season at the Etihad.

Good team but definitely beatable if you play the right way against them and do your research.
I'm not sure that research extended to Jesus winning a stupid penalty for United in the first minutes mind... But City are definitely riding their luck a bit in the CL this season, which makes for a nice change.

Bwuk

They’ll win it this year. They are the best side in Europe atm. They have too much depth, no-one can compete.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I'm not sure that research extended to Jesus winning a stupid penalty for United in the first minutes mind... But City are definitely riding their luck a bit in the CL this season, which makes for a nice change.
You had 89 minutes to undo it but you were comfortably beaten.

Giggsyking

It is. City defenders are reckless in the box and tend to try make heroic challenges which result in penalties. You notice it when they play a good team that gets into their box often. Do you want to say that City lost to us because of a penalty and they did not deserve to lose?

George the Cat

Need Madrid in the final. Chelsea already beat them in one cup game they won’t do it a second time.

arnie_ni

Just came to the post this.

They weren't good at all I thought? Psg should have been out of site in the first half with better final passes, then they got 2 lucky goals.

Guess I watched a different a game.

Giggsyking

Just came to the post this.

They weren't good at all I thought? Psg should have been out of site in the first half with better final passes, then they got 2 lucky goals.

Guess I watched a different a game.
He is trolling. PSG should have been 3-0 in the first half.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Do you want to say that City lost to us because of a penalty and they did not deserve to lose?
If I would want to say that, I would say that, no? I just wasn't sure if it suits the 'dismantle' notion. I wouldn't say City dismantled United in the League Cup when they won thanks to two set piece goals.

Raw

Well if we're living in a time where Liverpool win the PL in one season and City win the CL in the next, at least it's a time where there's no fans (ignoring the whole City have no fans thing and all).

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The knee-jerk narrative development on the back of last night's result is a little silly.

City have been unlucky in other recent seasons, but got a return on it last night with the two goals in the second half. Certainly I've never seen the winners of any major tournament, be it the Champions League, World Cup or Euros, not benefit from strokes of luck on the way.

It's not just the media though. On here the forum is clamouring about PSG's lack of bottle. I'm not sure if that's really the case, rather it's just two fantastic and evenly-matched teams playing off against each other. PSG's domination of the first half reflected their quality, while City's quality on the ball is such that PSG were never going to control 90 minutes (nobody ever does). Despite the urge to create narratives, games like these are subject to luck and random errors outwith the gift of Pochettino or Guardiola.

Devil81

At least the feckers won't be able to do a parade.

Well at least I hope they can't do a parade.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
The fawning over the game yesterday is ridiculous. Jenas was the worst.

Man City are a soulless club, financially doping their way to trophy after trophy. I hope PSG stuff them at the Etihad, and they then get stuffed by Real in the final. I'd rather Real win than any of the other semi finalists.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
City will always be the team that regularly scraped PL survival while getting walloped by Boro.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Thinking about that game a bit more, for all their recycling of possession and huffing and puffing they didn't really create a great deal, did they? A woeful mistake by the goalkeeper when he should have easily claimed that ball and some abysmal defending in the wall from what was a poor freekick. When watching it you thought they were ruining PSG, but not so sure about that now. Personally, I thought it was down to PSG having a complete collapse and trying to do the same thing (playing out from the back, poorly) over and over again and inviting the pressure.

Also, I just noticed that BT Sports have just released a Foden only highlights video on YouTube! :lol: He wasn't even that good! De Bruyne and Mahrez were way better. Also, I don't think they've ever done that before, have they? A highlights video of just one player.

Eddy_JukeZ

The media fawning over them is ridiculous at this point.

Really hope PSG do them in the 2nd leg.