Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Pep's contract renewal was really strange, he looks done at City now

Ludens the Red

That’s the worse city have been at old Trafford since the takeover. I literally had zero fear of them through that game. You’re usually shitting it against them but today, meh. Mahrez meh, Jesus lolz, and Sterling was his usual self against United.
They’ve lost their touch completely in these big games. Can’t seem to strike the right balance at all.

padr81

Supports
Man City
What has happened to Pep? Its LVG football this year with KDB in midfield instead of Herrera
I think he's afraid to over extend after the whooping on the break at Leicester. I said after that, it was clear we had a new mo, whether is counters, or the amount of running involved in our old style is not feasible this season its a clear change.
That said his team created enough today to win the game. Spurs or Liverpool would have buried them against you guys but we don't have the firepower.

charlenefan

I think he's afraid to over extend after the whooping on the break at Leicester. I said after that, it was clear we had a new mo, whether is counters, or the amount of running involved in our old style is not feasible this season its a clear change.
That said his team created enough today to win the game. Spurs or Liverpool would have buried them against you guys but we don't have the firepower.
Same applies to yous

cyberman

Nobody really has fire power this season. Everybody is stat padding 1 or 2 games and its 1 or 2 goal wins for the most of it. Utd are actually one of the most consistent goal scorers over this season with our need for comebacks etc and that isnt a good sign for the quality of the league.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Same applies to yous
You guys created nothing today, couple of corners and Bruno shooting from 40 yards.

I was on about the difference in finishing between us and Liverpool. We had Mahrez miss a 1 v 1, we had KDB fluff the rebound, a great chance for Sterling blocked by Maguire. If you think City didn't create enough chances to win today you didn't watch the game. But yeah playing like that both Liverpool and Spurs would beat us for sure as Spurs already have.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Anyway

Rodri and Fernandinho was too negative. Bernando would have provided more of a two way threat. Foden would have aided City to maintain their pressure.

Defense was solid for the most part except at corners in the first half. Mahrez/Sterling were wasteful with their chances. Jesus was industrial, contributed to a few good moves.

As to whether they will win the league, less likely than Liverpool but otherwise they'll give anyone a run if they continue to not concede goals (6 clean sheets in a row).

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
When have they become so shit? Their goals have all but dried up, same vulnerabilities at the back as always.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Nobody really has fire power this season. Everybody is stat padding 1 or 2 games and its 1 or 2 goal wins for the most of it. Utd are actually one of the most consistent goal scorers over this season with our need for comebacks etc and that isnt a good sign for the quality of the league.
For sure, I think the difference is Liverpool and Spurs (well Kane and Son) are clinical. You guys and us aren't. I think today we had a couple of great chances (not as many a billion pound team should create but 2 or 3) and shit the bed, those guys wouldn't. The Mahrez one was criminal in a game of that magnitude.

padr81

Supports
Man City
When have they become so shit? Their goals have all but dried up, same vulnerabilities at the back as always.
Say what? 9 clean sheets in 11 games and United didn't carve out a single opportunity in our box aside from Rashford miscuing one from a very unlikely angle.

charlenefan

You guys created nothing today, couple of corners and Bruno shooting from 40 yards.

I was on about the difference in finishing between us and Liverpool. We had Mahrez miss a 1 v 1, we had KDB fluff the rebound, a great chance for Sterling blocked by Maguire. If you think City didn't create enough chances to win today you didn't watch the game. But yeah playing like that both Liverpool and Spurs would beat us for sure as Spurs already have.
The chances from corners don't count then? We had a number of openings that better teams would have punished you, not everything is just about shots

padr81

Supports
Man City
Anyway

Rodri and Fernandinho was too negative. Bernando would have provided more of a two way threat. Foden would have aided City to maintain their pressure.

Defense was solid for the most part except at corners in the first half. Mahrez/Sterling were wasteful with their chances. Jesus was industrial, contributed to a few good moves.

As to whether they will win the league, less likely than Liverpool but otherwise they'll give anyone a run if they continue to not concede goals (6 clean sheets in a row).
I'm still confident on winning the league to be honest. People will say I'm mental but we've got all the top 6 out of the way bar Chelsea. We've played all of last seasons top 11 or so. We have a nice run over the next 8 games or so. We'll have a better idea once we hit half way but I'm far from worried.

AshRK

You guys also created nothing. One shot by Mahrez which ended up being pretty straightforward. It was no different to Pogba's shot which had he left would have been a great chance for Greenwood.

It was just a boring match where both managers didn't want to lose or take risk.

padr81

Supports
Man City
The chances from corners don't count then? We had a number of openings that better teams would have punished you, not everything is just about shots
None of those corners were close, they were all well off balance. Even Ole has said right now, the big chances came too us and best he could offer for you was Marcus was a foot offside, which was completely fair because he caught us dead.

padr81

Supports
Man City
You guys also created nothing. One shot by Mahrez which ended up being pretty straightforward. It was no different to Pogba's shot which had he left would have been a great chance for Greenwood.

It was just a boring match where both managers didn't want to lose or take risk.
Mahrez missed from 6 yards 1 v 1, KDB fluffed under no pressure on the rebound from 10 yards. Even Ole said it...

I don't think for a minute we played well or deserved to win but to say we didn't make the better chances is disingenuous.

charlenefan

None of those corners were close, they were all well off balance. Even Ole has said right now, the big chances came too us and best he could offer for you was Marcus was a foot offside, which was completely fair because he caught us dead.
McTominay was very close but alas I'm done with this now, no point arguing who was less shit than the other

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Say what? 9 clean sheets in 11 games and United didn't carve out a single opportunity in our box aside from Rashford miscuing one from a very unlikely angle.
Okay. Defense works better than I thought at first glance, joint second best by goals conceded. Has the system been changed to sacrifice attacking power for the sake of defensive stability? I haven't watched City play all season so far, I believe.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Okay. Defense works better than I thought at first glance, joint second best by goals conceded. Has the system been changed to sacrifice attacking power for the sake of defensive stability? I haven't watched City play all season so far, I believe.
Absolutely, we're also a poorer team, much poorer than we were 2 years ago. The reality is we just are good enough. Sane, Aguero, Silva all gone or out of the team and replaced in the first 11 by Jesus, Mahrez and Gundo (or today Fernandinho)

Pep's Suit

Yeah, people just repeat "City... shite defence..." but when you add they conceded only 1 goal in 6 CL games this season it's the opposite.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Absolutely, we're also a poorer team, much poorer than we were 2 years ago. The reality is we just are good enough. Sane, Aguero, Silva all gone or out of the team and replaced in the first 11 by Jesus, Mahrez and Gundo (or today Fernandinho)
Wasn't Kun back and scored in a recent game? Why wasn't he even in the lineup tonight?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah, people just repeat "City... shite defence..." but when you add they conceded only 1 goal in 6 CL games this season it's the opposite.
Its weird I've been saying for years it was the system leaving the defenders exposed and not the defenders being shite. Even John Stones has looked good last few games (one player I had written off). Honestly though we are tumescent to watch right now, we have more in common with LVG's United than with Pep's best teams.

Pep's Suit

Anyway, this City team dropped two levels from 2017-19 so unless they replace Mahrez, Bernardo, Aguero and at least 1 of their CMs with proper world-class players I don't see them win the league this season or next.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Wasn't Kun back and scored in a recent game? Why wasn't he even in the lineup tonight?
"Unwell" was the official reason, but I think he just wanted to stay home and play weekend league on twitch. He scored on Wednesday after coming on but looks miles away from being as good as he was. He's 32 and just missed the best part of 7 months with sporadic appearances before getting crocked again. I think he's done at the top level and I think he's off in the Summer regardless of whether Pep brings in Messi (which I also hope we don't).

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
Dull game. City had the better chances but nobody deserved to win. Played kind of like the City-Liverpool 2nd half, where both teams were content to take a draw.

City needs a top center forward though. Jesus is good but he is not the one to score 20 goals in the league. Also, they are missing the fear factors on the wings. Sane was a bit inconsistent, but he was a lot more threatening on the left-wing, regularly stretching up play and providing ball in the box.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
"Unwell" was the official reason, but I think he just wanted to stay home and play weekend league on twitch. He scored on Wednesday after coming on but looks miles away from being as good as he was. He's 32 and just missed the best part of 7 months with sporadic appearances before getting crocked again. I think he's done at the top level and I think he's off in the Summer regardless of whether Pep brings in Messi (which I also hope we don't).
Funny to think Lewandowski is also 32 and probably better than he ever was over the last year.
Seems pretty clear you sorely need a striker of the Aguero/Lewandowski type, and that Gabriel Jesus isn't him and probably won't be.
What do you think of Pep's hand in all things not going well for City at the moment? I have to say my admiration for him has suffered over the last season, and so far it's not looking better in the new one.

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Aguero will be gone in the summer regardless of Messi coming or not. City play now more like LVG's team than Pep's because Guardiola doesnt trusts his team enough so he can bring the free flowing football back. Now its more like machine like system, that produces results but the flair is gone. May be thats the recipe to finally win the CL trophy again!?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Funny to think Lewandowski is also 32 and probably better than he ever was over the last year.
Seems pretty clear you sorely need a striker of the Aguero/Lewandowski type, and that Gabriel Jesus isn't him and probably won't be.
What do you think of Pep's hand in all things not going well for City at the moment? I have to say my admiration for him has suffered over the last season, and so far it's not looking better in the new one.
Lewa is made of steel compared to Kun, for me thats been the biggest difference in them overall. Kun has always been injury prone and I can't say for sure but I can picture him with a Maradona R9 build shorty after he retires, Lewa is much better physically and always will be.

I think Pep is lacking in confidence in himself which is never a good sign for a manager. He started to question himself more and more in big games and the team are a little bit lost on the back of it. I've been happier with him this season to a point only because I was furious last year. I'm starting to see things from his pov more and more. On here I was crying about Rodri and Gundo in midfield but its clear Fernandinho is too slow now and wouldn't be an improvement and its clear Bernardo isn't world class just another good footballer and his performances two seasons ago were above his level.

The big issue for me with Pep is recruitment under him has been very average at best, particularly attackers. How much of that is Pep and how much is not I don't know but we are a shadow of the squad that got 100 points. I look at you guys, Liverpool, Spurs etc.. and I see pace, power and technique. I look at us and I see technique with a serious lack of dynamism.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Dull game for their standards, United should feel good about the draw as they were never going to score a goal but City needs to improve their attack as they were almost as dull.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
I think those CL defeats and the defeat against Leicester earlier this season have really got to Pep. He has sorted out their defence, but that has come at the expense of their attack.
With that been said and despite the boring game, they should have won today as they created more.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
They just look flat and tired. Not too bad defensively after dodgy opening few weeks but little attacking cutting edge in final third with Aguero hardly playing.

Think it's worth noting their actualy scoring record against some of the better teams in the league.

1 goal scored in last 3 league games v Man. United.

0 goals scored in last two visits to Spurs in 2020

Scored just two goals v Liverpool and Arsenal this season. 0 goals v Arsenal in cup semi final.

Used to put 3s and sometimes 4s past some of these teams. Bar sticking 5 past a half drunk Liverpool end of last season they've really stopped scoring decent amounts in last 12 months and don't think it's a co-incidence that Aguero has frequently been missing. They need to replace him like for like rather than going for yet another false 9/wide player imo.

Edit; They remind me a bit of way Arsenal slowly declined straight after their last league title in 2004.

Bobski

They are an awfully underwhelming team given the level they were at 3 years ago and the money spent since.

Pep keeps making the same mistakes in construction of his team, no CF, lack of athleticism in midfield and a soft CB pairing that limts them massively due to their weakness to the counter being obvious. Losing Sane was a proper feck up as well.

always_hoping

Finished near 20 points off the top last season I don't see them mounting a title challenge this season either and when you consider the strength in depth they have that would be a failure under Pep.

The will likely continue to flatter to deceive in the knock out stages of the CL and probably win either the FA or league Cup.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
With the way City's structure has changed, I'm loathe to believe Aguero would do much better than Jesus. As good as the former is, he played in teams that crafted tons of chances. I want to see how he performs in this side.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Pep has plan A and that's it. He dies on the plan A hill and plan A has been found out, and any idiot can counter it now.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They’ll finish above us but they’re nothing special. I’m not impressed. Worst they’ve looked in years. Won’t get close to the title unless Liverpool completely collapse.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He will get Messi and 500m next season so they will be back. This season it looks like they won't win the league

Web of Bissaka

Since David Silva left.
Aguero is only getting more addicted with online video gamings so...

City with these two (Silva and fit Aguero) is always scary to play against. Additionally, when they had Kompany and top form Yaya, they are annoyinglt difficult to beat. Now, they're just meh, full of inconsistent and unreliable players. A Normal top team. Left with just KDB the most consistent but I never fear this guy, he never made City special nor making it a tough team to beat. David Silva is the key in attacks and tempo, the guy is class, thankfully he's gone.

That said, again their attack breakthrough our defenses again and again, sign of good coaching in attacking, but thankfully their players didn't grab the chances (some like Sterling even concede it by making shit dives) and sometimes our defense made good blocks/stops.

Web of Bissaka

How are they so sound defensively? They've not conceded a goal in last 8/10 games.
I see them as being more compact nowadays. Not seeing the open wide defense they tend to give us or other teams. Slight shift in system?

Pep finally learn how to defense? Did he hire new defense coach or something? But in return, his attacks seems to get worse.