Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

Suedesi

Finished the season 18 points behind Liverpool, limped out of the CL to Olympique Lyonnais and Arsenal in the FA Cup.

So far (9/9/20), notable transfers in:
  1. Nathan Ake
  2. Ferran Torres
  3. Messi

Transfers Out:
  1. Leroy Sane'
  2. David Silva
So what are the CAF's expectations of Pep's team this year?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
With the tight schedule, they will win the league as their depth is better than other clubs'.

I think they will win the league.

BorisManUtd

Thank god Messi is not coming there. Still expect them to be champions ahead of Liverpool.

Ake, Torres and Koulibaly if he joins is very good transfer window.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'd agree with Roonster, the schedule is heavily in our favor with our squad depth. Transfer wise we've done ok. Alot depends on how often Gundo and Rodri play together. For me its either or, if both are in our first choice midfield we're gonna struggle.

Squad is strong but we really need either Foden or Bernardo to take up Merlin's midfield role.

A repeat of last season should see Pep relieved of his position but I don't think we'll be that poor again.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
For me, City are still the team that play the best football when they are on song. The issue is that Kompany still hasn't been replaced, and that means City lose the odd 1 or 2 in 10 more than they would do with him.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think they will struggle again.

Their squad is starting to deteriorate.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We kinda forget that they've had a pretty shit summer themselves, neither of their signings are going to elevate them

padr81

Supports
Man City
No Aguero is gonna make things really difficult we've got a few tricky games early doors too.

If he misses 2 months, he'll miss

Wolves Away, Sheffield United Away, Leicester Home, Liverpool Home and Arsenal at home. Leeds away too. That is a lot of potentially dropped points. Even if we take an average f 1.5 pts per game, thats 9 points dropped early doors. Jesus is gonna need to really step up.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
No Aguero is gonna make things really difficult we've got a few tricky games early doors too.
What's the succession plan for Aguëro? He's 32 now and Jesus doesn't seem able to fill his shoes (but correct me if I'm wrong).

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Surely one centre back and a backup striker to come, and maybe a left back. Did they scrap all their transfer plans while the Messi thing was plausible?

padr81

Supports
Man City
What's the succession plan for Aguëro? He's 32 now and Jesus doesn't seem able to fill his shoes (but correct me if I'm wrong).
It was supposed to be Jesus but it'll likely be £100m next summer on whoever is available. Problem is I'm not sure who'll be available.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Surely one centre back and a backup striker to come, and maybe a left back. Did they scrap all their transfer plans while the Messi thing was plausible?
Pep said before the window it'd be quiet enough, he was happy with the squad, It'll likely be maybe another CB before the end and thats it.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It was supposed to be Jesus but it'll likely be £100m next summer on whoever is available. Problem is I'm not sure who'll be available.
Well, if there's that much money available... Maybe even Håland!

Pep's Suit

Fully expecting another poor season with points total between 75-80.

Pep's Suit

We kinda forget that they've had a pretty shit summer themselves, neither of their signings are going to elevate them
Yeah. Ake and Torres will improve squad depth but that's it while the main problem's still there: City absolutely lack leaders and strong characters.
Honestly there's no reason to target another back-up striker when Haaland and Mbappe could be available next summer. LB... City already signed so many fullbacks under Txiki and most of them failed so would be better for now to work with that they have (Cancelo, Mendy, Ake, Zinchenko), I guess.

Pep's Suit

I think they will go for Kane next season
No, I don't think. In last four years City signed only two players who were 26 or older (Mahrez, Walker - 27). Kane's 28 next year and on long-term contract. I'm sure City will try for Messi and Neymar if they can leave for free. Otherwise it's Mbappe / Halland - first choice or then someone under the radar as Kun's replacement.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If Aguero really does miss 2 months then I can see City slipping behind Chelsea this year. And Aguero will probably get injured again before May when he does come back. He's quite injury prone these days.

Losing Kompany, Silva, Sane and having a less than reliable Aguero. City aren't the same team anymore. Still better than us but the gap is closing.

Liverpool sadly are getting better and better. The bar stewards.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I genuinely think City are catchable this season. There will be a huge chasm between Liverpool and the rest.

Pep's Suit

If Aguero really does miss 2 months then I can see City slipping behind Chelsea this year. And Aguero will probably get injured again before May when he does come back. He's quite injury prone these days.

Losing Kompany, Silva, Sane and having a less than reliable Aguero. City aren't the same team anymore. Still better than us but the gap is closing.

Liverpool sadly are getting better and better. The bar stewards.
Well, is Sterling - Jesus - Mahrez any better than what UTD and Chelsea have? Or Arsenal's Aubameyang - Lacazette - Willian? Or Spurs' Son - Kane - Bale? On paper it should be very tight between 2nd and 6th this season.

Josh 76

Very poor transfer window from City so far. No Silva, Sane and now Augero (for at least 2 months). You can probably write off Fernindino too. (Too old to make a impact in his favourite position).

Not sure what city are playing at. Thiago and Bale would have been typical City signings a few years ago but for some reason they are buying squad players.

I'm standing by my tip of City finishing 4th. (Unless they surprise me and pull of 3 major signings next week).

DarkLord

I thought David Silva was going to semi-retirement by playing in an easier league like Qatar or MLS but he went to Real Sociedad. Not sure why City doesn't convince him to stay, they need experience. City is still bookmaker's overwhelming favourites to win the title as always, but they seem pretty beatable these days, doesn't seem to have that fear factor they had under Pep in their first 2 seasons. I was sure they were going to win the title this season since no one except them have retained the title since post SAF, but Aguero is out for two months, they have had a poor summer transfer window, no replacement for Sane while Liverpool and Chelsea have strengthened with key players.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Well, is Sterling - Jesus - Mahrez any better than what UTD and Chelsea have? Or Arsenal's Aubameyang - Lacazette - Willian? Or Spurs' Son - Kane - Bale? On paper it should be very tight between 2nd and 6th this season.
Yeah I think they are getting worse. Unless they pull something big out of the bag in this window I can't see them winning the PL or CL again this year.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah. Ake and Torres will improve squad depth but that's it while the main problem's still there: City absolutely lack leaders and strong characters.

Honestly there's no reason to target another back-up striker when Haaland and Mbappe could be available next summer. LB... City already signed so many fullbacks under Txiki and most of them failed so would be better for now to work with that they have (Cancelo, Mendy, Ake, Zinchenko), I guess.
Thought Zinchenko was out of the frame, and Ake is hardly a left back in the Pep mould. But you're right about strikers next summer.

There'll be a lot of pressure on Jesus in Aguero's absence.

padr81

Supports
Man City
I think people underestimate us a bit based on last season. Even without Aguero we will still comfortably be top 2 in the league.

Are we the team of 2 years ago? absolutely not but there is still a clear gap in terms of squad quality between us and the rest. That will be huge especially with the condensed schedule. We'll be much closer to Liverpool than last season. The idea that we're somehow going to finish on 78 points again just isn't going to happen, we're also not going to finish near 100. We'll likely finish somewhere between 85-90 give or take. Whether that will be enough will depend on Liverpool. I don't see Chelsea, United or anyone else breaking 85 points.

I think with Ake we could play 3 at the back a lot this seasont, either 352 or 343 but also have the tactical flexibility to still play 433. I wouldn't bet against the line ups something like.

--------------------------------------------Ederson--------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------Ederson--------------------------------------------
---------------Fernandinho---------Laporte---------------Ake------------------------ ---------------Fernandinho---------Laporte---------------Ake------------------------
Walker-----------------------------------Rodri-------------------------------------Mendy Walker--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Mendy
-------------------------------------KDB-----------Gundogan------------------------------ -------------------------------------KDB-------------Rodri-------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Mahrez-------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sterling
------------------------------------Sterling-----Jesus--------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------Jesus------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------Ederson-------------------------------------------
Walker---------------Fernandinho---------Laporte--------------------------Ake
----------------------------------------------Rodri---------------------------------------------
----------------------------------KDB---------------Gundo---------------------------------
Mahrez--------------------------------------------------------------------------Sterling
--------------------------------------------Jesus-----------------------------------------------

With those teams we still have all these players left for cover.
FB - Cancelo, Zinchenko
CB - Garcia, Stones, Otamendi,
DM - Fernandinho
CM - Doyle, Foden, Bernardo
AM/Wings - Foden, Bernardo, Torres
ST - Kun (when fit)

padr81

Supports
Man City
Thought Zinchenko was out of the frame, and Ake is hardly a left back in the Pep mould. But you're right about strikers next summer.

There'll be a lot of pressure on Jesus in Aguero's absence.
Ake could be decent in the Pep fullback role, if we return to wingers hugging the sideline. He's quick, decent on the ball and will only have to drop into the holding midfield positions. He won't be required to overlap like Mendy.

Pep's Suit

I thought David Silva was going to semi-retirement by playing in an easier league like Qatar or MLS but he went to Real Sociedad. Not sure why City doesn't convince him to stay, they need experience. City is still bookmaker's overwhelming favourites to win the title as always, but they seem pretty beatable these days, doesn't seem to have that fear factor they had under Pep in their first 2 seasons. I was sure they were going to win the title this season since no one except them have retained the title since post SAF, but Aguero is out for two months, they have had a poor summer transfer window, no replacement for Sane while Liverpool and Chelsea have strengthened with key players.
Aguero didn't start talking about contract extension so wouldn't be surprised if this is his last season. Could be better for his body to move to Spain or Italy for next 2-3 years before he finally joins Independiente.

Pep's Suit

Jesus out for 3+ weeks. We'll see if Pep trusts Delap or it's Sterling / Foden as false 9.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
They won't be able to catch Liverpool when their key players are constantly injured, again.

padr81

Supports
Man City
We'll be running a false 9 with Delap playing the Carling Cup games.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Why are they favourites for the league?

Liverpool have made better signings and have the best starting eleven while Man city still look dodgy at the back.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
They won't be able to catch Liverpool when their key players are constantly injured, again.
It's crazy when I saw Liverpool's line up vs Chelsea. It's like almost the same line up they field over and over in 3 seasons :rolleyes:.

Liverpool astmatic is better than Pep/Cugat's juice. :lol:

Pep's Suit

True. Plus Torres looks like he's gonna have slow start so just no depth in that squad now and only 3 subs being allowed in PL won't help.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Still think they'll win it this season because squad depth is the most important factor this year and despite injuries, their squad depth is by far the best. Them winning carabao cups galore in the last year's shows that.

Josh 76

The only way City can challenge is if Pep goes back to his high pressing game. I don't think City have done that for over 18 months. When they play that way, it doesn't matter what the team is, they are untouchable.

They did is for 60 mins at Wolves, and made them look a below average team. (Which Wolves are not).

But I still think they need 3 players to cement another title.
CF. (Maybe Cavani on short term)
CB. (Kounde)
CM. (Aouar would be perfect)

Pep's Suit

The only way City can challenge is if Pep goes back to his high pressing game. I don't think City have done that for over 18 months. When they play that way, it doesn't matter what the team is, they are untouchable.

They did is for 60 mins at Wolves, and made them look a below average team. (Which Wolves are not).

But I still think they need 3 players to cement another title.
CF. (Maybe Cavani on short term)
CB. (Kounde)
CM. (Aouar would be perfect)
I think Aouar is simply too similar to Gundogan who's gonna stay as long as Pep is there. They also promised to Doyle there's clear pathway for him to become a first team regular (like with Foden before). But some short-term option for attack would be smart.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Looks like Ruben Dias is on the way.

Lets see if my preemptions on him will turn out to be correct.

For Portugals sake I hope I am entirely wrong and he becomes world class.