Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

SuperiorXI

City are a solid team, no doubt about that.
But this is how it is if you want to challenge for the title. You have to go out there and beat your closest rival who are normally right up there in terms of ability. We cannot be weak and have to step up our game. It is the next level in our development as a team, and also the hardest. It is as much a mental hurdle as it is physical. During Fergie’s time, we believe we could beat anyone on our day - we need to get to this level of belief before we can consider seriously challenging for the title.
Spot on, in a way it's good to have a challenge like City because it's going to force us to sink or swim.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
1. Dias amazing leader and organizer.
2. Stones got fit and put his personal troubles behind him. Also he performs better with a partner who chivvies him.
3 Cancelo at RB is a miles better player than Walker
4 Pep reverted to inverted FBs.
And that's just the defence. Be afraid!
Nice name :lol:

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I’ve said for a while, if this City team had Aguero fit and scoring it would be miles ahead. Finally Cancelo is given a chance due to Walker’s injury and it’s unlikely Walker will get back into the team. They’re formidable at the moment and they seem to have found the Dortmund version of Gundogan.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Looking at the bigger picture it's actually quite depressing to see them hit beast mode again. It looked like they found a more "human" level in the last year and a bit but since the new year they're back at the same level of the back to back titles. And the worst thing is this team have got the only thing that team lacked, an elite defender.

And what's worse, if Barca and Bayern are anything to go by, the dominance doesn't stop when Pep leaves.

Josh 76

They have hit form at the right time. With easier looking fixtures than Liverpool comming up, they could virtually put end to the Scousers title dream when they play them at Anfield.
Then with Debryne and Augero comming back fresh for the remainder of the season .....might even be a CL and PL double.

Unless of course the unthinkable happens.

matt23

The fact that Aguero has only played about 10 minutes all season and they're already well up on GD is ominous.

Judas

Open to offers
If they get through the tricky early February period well, title race is over for me. To be honest its very hard to look past them, obviously not based purely on last nights game, but they're firing again. I don't see them losing more than three games for the rest of the season, if that.

romufc

1. Dias amazing leader and organizer.
2. Stones got fit and put his personal troubles behind him. Also he performs better with a partner who chivvies him.
3 Cancelo at RB is a miles better player than Walker
4 Pep reverted to inverted FBs.
And that's just the defence. Be afraid!
The way Pep has used Cancelo has been revolutionary IMO. Yes he did it with Walker last season but Cancelo just plays that role so much better.

It gives City a midfield overload having 2 DM's, 2 false 9's and a RB playing there.

SuperiorXI

If they get through the tricky early February period well, title race is over for me. To be honest its very hard to look past them, obviously not based purely on last nights game, but they're firing again. I don't see them losing more than three games for the rest of the season, if that.
Calm down, West Brom are cannon fodder, Leeds beat them 5-0 and they have had an easy run for a while now but it won't last, they'll soon have tougher fixtures and it remains to be seen whether they will pick up the points.

Judas

Open to offers
I literally said in the post its not based on last nights game? :lol: how much clearer did I need to be.

and I spoke about the tougher Feb fixtures, and if they get through that its over, but obviously we've not even got there yet.

KwokSF

The fact that Aguero has only played about 10 minutes all season and they're already well up on GD is ominous.
Aguero is old and injuries have taken a toll now. Plus his contract looks like not going to be renewed, his mentality will be affected. I think he is not an important player for them nowadays.
Doubt he will make a huge difference if he comes back.

The unexpected thing about their season so far is shit players that even their fans have written off suddenly upped their game. Players like stones, cancelo, gundogen. And dias who I think was their third choice CB target during the summer turned out a great buy. Who knew? On the other hand, laporte their best CB didn't play much and even Sterling hasn't been that great.

Then again it's such a strange season, heck maybe they will have a down turn again when champions league restarts. I won't give them the title this early

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Well well, would you look at that. Earlier in the season they looked nowhere near competing, but now they seem to have found their goal scoring boots despite the absence of a real striker.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
There's a long, long way to go yet to be throwing in the towel at this stage. We're only just at halfway.

Lots of games still to play. Champions League and fixture pile-ups are bound to become an issue again like they were in the first half of the season.

We look good - great, even - but there's 19 games for it still to all go wrong.

rotherham_red

That week-long break in the middle of the Xmas period (when their match v Everton was postponed) has been the game changer for them. Up until that point they weren't looking great at all.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We would've likely made a grind of it last night, if we were in a similar position. Unfortunately they just have alittle too much class all over the pitch.
I expect them to kick on and go for the title but I think we can keep up with them points wise for the time being, though I do expect them to clear a path between 1st and 2nd eventually.
This is still a big learning curve for the current United players. We're showing the right grit and overall mentality now we just need to continue enhancing the squad with similar quality, which in this environment will be tough.

Moving forward towards the summer, its going to be fascinating to see what occurs.
I dont expect much improvement regarding the current Covid climate.
Looking at City's squad I feel they're comfortably the most capable team in, shall we say, standing still in the market. What's going to be to their benefit is the fact the majority of the league will likely do very little in the summer market too.
So, I cant see a great deal happening even in next season's PL final standings. We just have to hope City take their eye off the ball because their squad and management are way ahead of everyone else.

No Spring Chicken

You have to say that City look the best bet for the title this season. They have defensive resilience, the ability to control games and the ability to score goals against most defences. I don't think they're an incredible team by any means and nothing like the team that topped 100 points a few seasons back, but all the teams around them seem to have obvious weaknesses, either on the pitch or in the squad, but City don't.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Clearly in great form by now, but that will change. It always does. United just need to hang in there and stay within touching distance. If we do that, we will get our chances to overtake them

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That week-long break in the middle of the Xmas period (when their match v Everton was postponed) has been the game changer for them. Up until that point they weren't looking great at all.
Almost like it was planned IMO. The way they were suddenly allowed back into training a day after the match and then had a full week of rest/preparation was extremely odd.

Anyway, they look the best team in the league IMO so it should be theirs to win, we've just got to keep quietly chipping away and see where we end up.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
If they win this PL it will be the third time in 10 seasons that we end up 2nd (not champions) because of them.

God I hate that club.

ItDoesntEvenMata

This exactly - a massive break in the middle of the Xmas period which was then compounded by Mendy breaking covid rules but then being named on the bench the next day.

Pep and City played a blinder there and are reaping the rewards from that rest in the most taxing period of fixtures.

The simple truth is, rest aside, they are a soft centred team throughout the spine and will crack when the going gets tough again - I think they'll finish 5th this year

ExecutionerWasp001

Almost like it was planned IMO. The way they were suddenly allowed back into training a day after the match and then had a full week of rest/preparation was extremely odd.
That unofficial Winter Break was definitely planned. Has to be said all the other clubs have been stupid for not doing the same. It goes against the spirit of the game but if you want to win against Pep you have to master the dark arts. Nobody will be talking about the unfair advantage City have had at seasons end.

The poor officiating in their games is becoming tiresome. After the controversy of the off side goal against Villa you would have thought the officiating (especially regarding off side's) would have been on point last night. Absolutely crazy that another dubious off side call occurs in their very next game.

Pep's Suit

This exactly - a massive break in the middle of the Xmas period which was then compounded by Mendy breaking covid rules but then being named on the bench the next day.

Pep and City played a blinder there and are reaping the rewards from that rest in the most taxing period of fixtures.

The simple truth is, rest aside, they are a soft centred team throughout the spine and will crack when the going gets tough again - I think they'll finish 5th this year
Yeah. Like when City had to win 14 in a row to win the title two years ago. That was so easy.

Davie Moyes

Gundogan has been amazing for them.
This.

I know he's a City player but I feel disappointed for him on a personal level that he's had a couple of really bad injuries and not able to show his Dortmund form. I don't think he's quite fulfilled his potential probably due to the injuries. I remember him playing for Dortmund against City in the CL and thought he was a monster and then gutted he went to City

Davie Moyes

That unofficial Winter Break was definitely planned. Has to be said all the other clubs have been stupid for not doing the same. It goes against the spirit of the game but if you want to win against Pep you have to master the dark arts. Nobody will be talking about the unfair advantage City have had at seasons end.

The poor officiating in their games is becoming tiresome. After the controversy of the off side goal against Villa you would have thought the officiating (especially regarding off side's) would have been on point last night. Absolutely crazy that another dubious off side call occurs in their very next game.
I would not want other clubs to replicate CIty in the dark arts, however would like the authorities to do more. If clubs call off games like City did at short notice then put measures in place to stop them abusing it e.g. first team not allowed back in training/games for so many days etc. Also the constant fouls up the pitch to stop team counter-attacking when they've beaten the press (similar to Pool) is a bug-bear of mine.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Didn't realize just how good their form has been.
  • 14 clean sheets in their last 18 games (just 4 goals conceded) - all comps
  • 11 wins in a row - all comps
  • 15 wins and 3 draws in their last 18 games
February - April is a tougher run for them, fixtures will stack up plus all tough fixtures, so if they continue through that period showing great form, then we don't have a chance IMO. They have to drop to a human level otherwise we'll quickly fall off the pace.

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Last season was an anomaly for City defending wise, in previous seasons they had a really good defending record.
Even Last season, they had the 2nd best defensive record in the league conceeding just 2 more goals than Liverpool i think...

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
In their six fixtures previous to the Everton non-match, their total XG was 13.75 against an XGA of 2.3. They were already in high gear before Christmas and really have been by far the best side in the league since November.

rotherham_red

In their six fixtures previous to the Everton non-match, their total XG was 13.75 against an XGA of 2.3. They were already in high gear before Christmas and really have been by far the best side in the league since November.
I know that they had the great underlying metrics, but they weren't passing the eye test to me. They were going life and death with Southampton, they were anaemic against West Brom, and they didn't lay a glove on us when we were perhaps at our lowest ebb of the season after being knocked out in the CL.

The change in their performances and overall dominance in games is like a night and day's difference pre- and post-Everton game postponement.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I know that they had the great underlying metrics, but they weren't passing the eye test to me. They were going life and death with Southampton, they were anaemic against West Brom, and they didn't lay a glove on us when we were perhaps at our lowest ebb of the season after being knocked out in the CL.

The change in their performances and overall dominance in games is like a night and day's difference pre- and post-Everton game postponement.
I'll give you that they didn't fully impose themselves against United or Soton, but those are two good teams they were playing away. West Brom they absolutely dominated (XG 2.59 to 0.21) but couldn't find the net, which happens. They had better XG and XG differential in that match than in the 5-0 yesterday.

Unfortunately, I think they're just really, really good. They stumbled a bit out of the gate as they were dealing with the abbreviated pre-season and still integrating Dias and finding their feet, but since around mid-late November they've been not far off the very high levels of a few years ago.

This is a crazy season and there could still be some twists and turns to come, especially if they have some injuries, but they are clearly ahead of everybody else in terms of form over the last two months (if not in the table).

Adam McNeill

Oh Lordy!
Once upon a time they had the tallest floodlights in football! Now it's the best stairs!!
Sod off to the Emptyhad if you like it so much.
Have you been to either ground? (seen as your location is Ireland)

Old Trafford is badly outdated, especially compared to the Etihad - that's a fact.

The last United/City game I went to I remember a literal waterfall leaking through the roof, youtube it, it was only 2019, the indoor area's in general are skank too.

P.s. is it a crime to like both Manchester teams (as a casual football fan)?

rotherham_red

I'll give you that they didn't fully impose themselves against United or Soton, but those are two good teams they were playing away. West Brom they absolutely dominated (XG 2.59 to 0.21) but couldn't find the net, which happens. They had better XG and XG differential in that match than in the 5-0 yesterday.

Unfortunately, I think they're just really, really good. They stumbled a bit out of the gate as they were dealing with the abbreviated pre-season and still integrating Dias and finding their feet, but since around mid-late November they've been not far off the very high levels of a few years ago.

This is a crazy season and there could still be some twists and turns to come, especially if they have some injuries, but they are clearly ahead of everybody else in terms of form over the last two months (if not in the table).
Again, I think watching the WBA game itself is a better barometer than just taking the xG numbers into account. City really didn't do much for 80 of the 90+ minutes and all their big chances only really came in the last 10-15 mins. They didn't look great at all and if all things were equal and they played v Everton before playing Chelsea, I don't think they'd have had the rhythm necessary to have played the latter off the park in the manner that they did.

I agree that right now, they are really, really good and will deservedly win the title, but I still argue that if it wasn't for that extra week's break and the extra preparation time they had for Chelsea, they wouldn't have been as impressive. They have tended to be a juggernaut under Pep so this is nothing new. The only thing we can concentrate on is ourselves and what we can do better and ignore everything else. We weren't meant to be title contenders at this stage and my target even now, is to consolidate ourselves in the top 4 and finishing closer to City and Liverpool. As things stand, it seems like it will be a successful endeavour, but it's still too early to say.

padr81

Supports
Man City

:lol: :lol: :lol: :houllier: I have no words....

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.

Old Trafford is badly outdated, especially compared to the Etihad - that's a fact.

The last United/City game I went to I remember a literal waterfall leaking through the roof, youtube it, it was only 2019, the indoor area's in general are skank too.

P.s. is it a crime to like both Manchester teams (as a casual football fan)?
Yes I have been, many times. Have you ever been to Maine Road?
I agree OT could use a revamp but for a veteran like me it's still a Palace of magic memories. Been a fan since 68.

BlackBinBag

Turn it in pal you've been well & truly rumbled. I'd wager you've never been to either stadium. Would even go as far as to say you've never been to any PL match. Pop off back to BlueMoon & we'll say no more about it. Now there's a good boy.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
This.

I know he's a City player but I feel disappointed for him on a personal level that he's had a couple of really bad injuries and not able to show his Dortmund form. I don't think he's quite fulfilled his potential probably due to the injuries. I remember him playing for Dortmund against City in the CL and thought he was a monster and then gutted he went to City
The Gundogan of Dortmund, I feel like we have never seen him reach that level. Even now, he is a bit different

Tapori

Although City have and are favourites it will be very interesting to see:
How the CL catches up with them as they will progress
How De Bruyne AND Aguero being out affects them