Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
How boring

Plastic feckers have bought their way to it off the back of some pretty awful human rights atrocities.

Let me guess, the run started sometime around the time when they cheated the system with the ‘COVID issue’ which gave them a nice winter break while all their opponents got knackered and still are.
We continue to have a nice winter break by winning most games quite early and subbing key players off early.
Your lot should try it some time.

SER19

We continue to have a nice winter break by winning most games quite early and subbing key players off early.
Your lot should try it some time.
Well some very favourable cup draws and the ability to field a 160m pound sub defence in them certainly helps rotation. Not a luxury any other team has unfortunately.

Calvert lewin now likely to miss the controversially rescheduled fixture that should have taken place over Xmas. Good break for City that.

Fluctuation0161

Opta: "Manchester City's current run of 15 consecutive wins in all competitions is the longest in English football history by a top-flight side."
Also have record total spend in a premiership season and record number of questionable "sponsorships".

Horrible club on a par with PSG for state sponsored sportswashing.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Well some very favourable cup draws and the ability to field a 160m pound sub defence in them certainly helps rotation. Not a luxury any other team has unfortunately.

Calvert lewin now likely to miss the controversially rescheduled fixture that should have taken place over Xmas. Good break for City that.
Might equalise things for the likely absence of Rodri and Fernandinho who of course play the same position. KDB would also be in the mix as DM too and he’ll likely be absent.
United have had more luck than most with injuries and COVID this season but you expensively bought and paid squad have made a habit of giving themselves a hard game by conceding silly early goals. That’s on you.

SER19

Might equalise things for the likely absence of Rodri and Fernandinho who of course play the same position. KDB would also be in the mix as DM too and he’ll likely be absent.
United have had more luck than most with injuries and COVID this season but you expensively bought and paid squad have made a habit of giving themselves a hard game by conceding silly early goals. That’s on you.
Why are you talking about man United? This is the city thread. Nothing I said really prompted a comparison

In any case, city have a really good record at players recovering quickly so I'd he surprised if they were without them v spurs. Had a nice draw and game 24 hours earlier too while spurs have Everton away for 2 hours tonight.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
How boring

Plastic feckers have bought their way to it off the back of some pretty awful human rights atrocities.

Let me guess, the run started sometime around the time when they cheated the system with the ‘COVID issue’ which gave them a nice winter break while all their opponents got knackered and still are.
Surely this bit isn't serious? You realise we still have to play that game against Everton, right? We weren't just given the points out of sympathy, we actually have to play the match on Feb 17th when we otherwise would have had a week off. And the last time I checked, eight days (between December 26th & January 3rd) wasn't two weeks.

Accuse us of buying everything we have, rightly point out that our owner's family are evil bastards - there's not much that can be challenged there. But we're playing how we are because we've got the most expensive squad in the league and one of the best managers in the world, not because we got three bonus days' rest after Christmas.

KwokSF

They are looking good for the PL but in the CL I still think they will falter.

Also I'm not sure why city fans still reply back to taunting about city spending and such. This is United forum of course there will be bias and sniping at rivals. If you are uncomfortable you can always go to a city forum.

But Outside of this forum, not many will still use the spending excuse as reason why city doing so well compared to us. Maybe the likes of sheffield United fans can still feel aggrieved

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
Why are you talking about man United? This is the city thread. Nothing I said really prompted a comparison

In any case, city have a really good record at players recovering quickly so I'd he surprised if they were without them v spurs. Had a nice draw and game 24 hours earlier too while spurs have Everton away for 2 hours tonight.
Erm, because it's a United Forum and comparisons are inevitably drawn.
We currently have 2 long term injuries (Aguero and Ake) whose absence far exceeds original estimates so it really is a bit of lottery as to how long a player will be out.
The nice draw and game consisted of a long trip to play an in-form, physical team on a cabbage patch earlier on the same day (not as you suggest, 24 hours earlier). Not that cushy really.
You may remember that we recently played United in LCSF having played a game a day later than you but we didn’t bleat about that.
Just got on with it.

SER19

Erm, because it's a United Forum and comparisons are inevitably drawn.
We currently have 2 long term injuries (Aguero and Ake) whose absence far exceeds original estimates so it really is a bit of lottery as to how long a player will be out.
The nice draw and game consisted of a long trip to play an in-form, physical team on a cabbage patch earlier on the same day (not as you suggest, 24 hours earlier). Not that cushy really.
You may remember that we recently played United in LCSF having played a game a day later than you but we didn’t bleat about that.
Just got on with it.
There was no place for a comparison here though it was just reflex defensiveness. You couldn't have seemed more out of touch to about 88 other teams in the professional level while bragging about your supposed brilliant squad management. I simply pointed out that having a bench of defenders worth about 180m and some very lucky cup draws had a part in that. Not just city demolishing teams early to earn a rest. Every time somebody mentions anything that mitigates against unfiltered worship of city, city fans here start talking about man United. Its very weird

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
Also I'm not sure why city fans still reply back to taunting about city spending and such. This is United forum of course there will be bias and sniping at rivals. If you are uncomfortable you can always go to a city forum.
The City forums are even worse. :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Looking unstoppable for the domestic treble.
I reckon they may get caught out in the FA Cup but yeah no one's stopping them in the other two.

Could well be their year for CL now they have truly sorted their defense.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
[
There was no place for a comparison here though it was just reflex defensiveness. You couldn't have seemed more out of touch to about 88 other teams in the professional level while bragging about your supposed brilliant squad management. I simply pointed out that having a bench of defenders worth about 180m and some very lucky cup draws had a part in that. Not just city demolishing teams early to earn a rest. Every time somebody mentions anything that mitigates against unfiltered worship of city, city fans here start talking about man United. Its very weird
Disagree that comparing City's methods of running the club to United's has no place here and you have no remit to tell me that it does. If/when a Mod tells me so then I'll listen.
Your concern for the other teams in the EFL is touching but as a supporter of a club that has done as much as anyone to grab as big a chunk as possible of revenue that the game generates then it does have something of a hollow ring to it.
City have done plenty wrong in the past and continue to do so on and off the pitch and if you care to exchange DM's with me I will expand on it but I won't hold my breath.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
It's always funny the way talks of a quadruple come up at this time of year. We know that it's a load of rubbish to even think about such a thing at this stage. But the media love to build up the hype about it knowing that the rest of the country cannot wait for City to fail. The same media that created the whole quadruple topic in the first place will then attack City for failing to achieve it...haha!!!.

SER19

[

Disagree that comparing City's methods of running the club to United's has no place here and you have no remit to tell me that it does. If/when a Mod tells me so then I'll listen.
Your concern for the other teams in the EFL is touching but as a supporter of a club that has done as much as anyone to grab as big a chunk as possible of revenue that the game generates then it does have something of a hollow ring to it.
City have done plenty wrong in the past and continue to do so on and off the pitch and if you care to exchange DM's with me I will expand on it but I won't hold my breath.
:lol: what are you talking about. I made a general point about city, which you reflexively needed to frame in context of United, despite it not being relevant. I'm not telling you what you can and can't say I'm saying it wasn't relevant to what I was saying. And now you're doing it again regarding other clubs as if one can't have genuine feelings about the fairness of the game, while supporting a big club. (that's before even entertaining the enormous difference between united and City as clubs, both offenders on completely far away ends of the spectrum)

How's this so to keep you unoffended. City's incredible record breakers have delivered a masterclass in squad management to every other club in England who for some reason can't quite manage it. Tough shit to them I guess. They're actually phenomenal at rotating the defence so much too, seeing as a stable defence is so key to success. I don't know how they do it, but I will stand back and applaud

SER19

It's always funny the way talks of a quadruple come up at this time of year. We know that it's a load of rubbish to even think about such a thing at this stage. But the media love to build up the hype about it knowing that the rest of the country cannot wait for City to fail. The same media that created the whole quadruple topic in the first place will then attack City for failing to achieve it...haha!!!.
They will win a quadruple though. Its inevitable and may well be this season. They've already done a domestic treble so it's not far fetched to add a CL especially when most big clubs apart from bayern are in dire straits

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
I think I only saw it mentioned here, to be fair. And that is mostly because then the same posters can say 'they bottled it again, Pep Guardiola is my idol', so not sure if it's that relevant really.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Wasn’t it your former captain who openly talked about winning a quadruple almost every season?

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
I think I only saw it mentioned here, to be fair. And that is mostly because then the same posters can say 'they bottled it again, Pep Guardiola is my idol', so not sure if it's that relevant really.
Wasn’t it your former captain who openly talked about winning a quadruple almost every season?
When you say " openly talked" this can be a bit misleading. I think when the media keeps bringing up the subject of a quadruple in interviews a player has to give some kind of answer...such as we try to win every game or, of course, we want to win every trophy possible. And then suddenly we see the headline..."City going for the Quadruple"..haha!!.

mav_9me

Surely this bit isn't serious? You realise we still have to play that game against Everton, right? We weren't just given the points out of sympathy, we actually have to play the match on Feb 17th when we otherwise would have had a week off. And the last time I checked, eight days (between December 26th & January 3rd) wasn't two weeks.

Accuse us of buying everything we have, rightly point out that our owner's family are evil bastards - there's not much that can be challenged there. But we're playing how we are because we've got the most expensive squad in the league and one of the best managers in the world, not because we got three bonus days' rest after Christmas.
Good post.

mav_9me

I reckon they may get caught out in the FA Cup but yeah no one's stopping them in the other two.

Could well be their year for CL now they have truly sorted their defense.
Hard to see them win all that without a dependable goalscorer.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Your best ever captain was happy to talk it up so don't make out it's all on the media. "Just a matter of time," he said, didn't he?

robinamicrowave

Supports
Man City
We're not doing the quadruple. The media won't stop talking about it until it's no longer possible, it's just everyone's job to ignore them as best we can. We'll probably beat Spurs in the League Cup final. Probably. We're likely to win the league title from here as well. But Christ, there's such a long way to go and so many games to cram in.

The wheels always come off quicker than they get screwed on. Injuries, COVID, suspensions, freak results - there's so much still to come. Winning a quadruple relies on everything going right. I'm not sure everything can go right. Along the way, something always happens - that's why nobody's ever done it - and no sane City fan genuinely believes it's possible.

Gentleman Jim

Supports
city
He mentioned it once (in 2014) but it (understandably) is brought up every year when it becomes an impossibility.
Set himself up for a fall there :)

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Probably going to do at least the double if not both cups + the league. I don't think they will have enough for the Champions League. The year they sort out their defense, their attack gets a bit wonky... They'd need KdB to come back strong and a striker.

Judas

Open to offers
Funny how things change, few months ago I'd totally written them off in the CL due to their defence, and now it might be one of the very key things that wins it for them. Still a long way to go, but they're worryingly in with a shout this time.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
When last did they drop points? Pretty sure it is last year.
We need to start going on these type of runs.

RedDevil250

What's scary is they still need a LB and a striker. Jesus and Zinchenko aren't good enough. You just know they'll get Halaand. They're too good.

El Zoido

When last did they drop points? Pretty sure it is last year.
We need to start going on these type of runs.
This is an unprecedented run, they’ll set an all-time record. Irritating team, and they’re doing this without even having a proper striker. Right now it’s hard to see them ever dropping another point. Imagine if they sign Haaland in the summer. Depressing.

croadyman

We're not doing the quadruple. The media won't stop talking about it until it's no longer possible, it's just everyone's job to ignore them as best we can. We'll probably beat Spurs in the League Cup final. Probably. We're likely to win the league title from here as well. But Christ, there's such a long way to go and so many games to cram in.

The wheels always come off quicker than they get screwed on. Injuries, COVID, suspensions, freak results - there's so much still to come. Winning a quadruple relies on everything going right. I'm not sure everything can go right. Along the way, something always happens - that's why nobody's ever done it - and no sane City fan genuinely believes it's possible.
You are going to do it because no one is good enough to stop it happening

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
You are going to do it because no one is good enough to stop it happening
Never in the history of history has any team on a cracking run stumbled against some shower of shite who somehow just had the ball fall in the right place at the right time.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Fair play to Pep, they were looking a very ordinary side earlier in the season and looked well off the pace, but he’s managed to get them playing and they’re looking very good again.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Annoying how they'll win this title just because, guess that's how many felt about us towards the end of Fergie's time, we didn't have amazing title winning teams in Fergie's last 2 or 3 title wins we were just better than the rest and that's where this City side is

Lee565

Probably the most formidable city side under pep as they always had the slight potential hiccup defensively but not this season. Like some other I also believe that they gained an advantage with their little break over xmas and at the end of the day they are able to field two strong first 11 sides unlike any other side in the league.

croadyman

Probably the most formidable city side under pep as they always had the slight potential hiccup defensively but not this season. Like some other I also believe that they gained an advantage with their little break over xmas and at the end of the day they are able to field two strong first 11 sides unlike any other side in the league.
Yeah they haven't looked back since getting that Everton game moved