Man City 2020/21 - General discussion

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
What is this :lol:
For people asking about the Pep dance video I can confirm that this was from a party celebrating City's 18th successive win. Sorry about that...just couldn't stop myself haha!!!.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So is this stat about restricting team to just 4 shots on target or specific players to just 4 shots on target.

If it's a team, it's wrong. If it's just players then it's a hilariously cherrypicked stat.

ManUtd have now gone away to Leicester, Liverpool, Arsenal and have restricted Vardy, Firmino , Laca , Pepe, Martinelli, Mane, Salah, Origi, Maddison, Perez, Tielemans to just 3 shots on target in those games combined.
It's cherry picked true... They could have just mentioned how they've only conceded 3 goals away to those 5 teams. Still, highlights to some extent how their defense has frustrated the elite attackers in the league

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's cherry picked true... They could have just mentioned how they've only conceded 3 goals away to those 5 teams. Still, highlights to some extent how their defense has frustrated the elite attackers in the league
So did ours. We haven't played away to Chelsea and Spurs. The teams we have played like Liverpool, Leicester, Arsenal their attackers gad 3 shots on target combined. And we have conceded just 2 goals from those 3 games.

It's just easy to list all the players who didn't have shot on target and tell how low the shots on target count it.

Zen86

They didn't choose you because they think they look good in red, mate.
There’s statues outside OT of why people chose us, I look forward to future statues of the sheiks and club legend Patrick Vieira.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Magnificent job Guardiola has done with Cancelo.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
Magnificent job Guardiola has done with Cancelo.
Cancelo is already a top player before City bought him. He played for Juve, Inter, Valencia, Benfica. He cost City £65M for a FB. I would be impressed if Pep turned Dalot into a world class FB.
* Cough

Raredaredevil

Ohh let's be real here: most people have poor lives so just like to be 'connected' to something / someone successful. They like to 'touch' it, to feel like they're a part of it. Of course United will have millions of fans when they were winning for years and years. Hiding behind 'pride' or 'glory' or whatever, that's just nonsense.
Hard truth. I tend to question my identity as a Man Utd fan sometimes and to be honest, I feel rather embarrassed of the glory hunting fans our fanbase attracted over the years but like you said, many people need something like this to feel connected to be a part of something because of they are lacking something in their lives. Sometimes I believe that a truly high value individual won't be such a religious fan if he or she has something strong going on in their lives. I remember when we made the comeback against PSG and beat them in Paris 3-1, the next day, I saw so many people coming out on the streets with Man Utd jersey and even have my colleague who has been keeping so quiet about Man Utd all season and I've never seen him wear a Man Utd jersey in my 3 years of knowing him, wore a Pogba jersey to work that day. I felt so much cringe and embarrassment. Sometimes I don't even tell people I meet in real life I am a Man Utd fan for fear of being judged as it would be so typical. The very same thing you said can now be said of City fans after the takeover and future City fans. If you get Messi, your fanbase would triple at least and they will be supporting City because they want to be connected to Messi and feel that they are part of his success.

Listar

Hard truth. I tend to question my identity as a Man Utd fan sometimes and to be honest, I feel rather embarrassed of the glory hunting fans our fanbase attracted over the years but like you said, many people need something like this to feel connected to be a part of something because of they are lacking something in their lives. Sometimes I believe that a truly high value individual won't be such a religious fan if he or she has something strong going on in their lives. I remember when we made the comeback against PSG and beat them in Paris 3-1, the next day, I saw so many people coming out on the streets with Man Utd jersey and even have my colleague who has been keeping so quiet about Man Utd all season and I've never seen him wear a Man Utd jersey in my 3 years of knowing him, wore a Pogba jersey to work that day. I felt so much cringe and embarrassment. Sometimes I don't even tell people I meet in real life I am a Man Utd fan for fear of being judged as it would be so typical. The very same thing you said can now be said of City fans after the takeover and future City fans. If you get Messi, your fanbase would triple at least and they will be supporting City because they want to be connected to Messi and feel that they are part of his success.
You are embarrassed of a fellow fan wearing the jersey after their team won? Wow.:houllier:

teteus

Supports
Flamengo
Cancelo is already a top player before City bought him. He played for Juve, Inter, Valencia, Benfica. He cost City £65M for a FB. I would be impressed if Pep turned Dalot into a world class FB.
* Cough
Coaches can't make truly bad players become great ones. But Guardiola massively improves his players and they acknowledge this, Sterling being an amazing example.

Paddy B

Supports
Manchester City
* Cough
The deal that brought Cancelo to City was actually worth 60M. City paid Juventus 27M and gave them Danilo as well...very good deal. They say he plays in the full back position but most of the time he seems to be an attacking midfield player...it's great fun to watch him though.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I know we dont like it but

1.they don't have the spending and legal power of small countries
2.they don't regularly circumvent the rules, they did so once and were fined for it. They were accussed a second time and acquitted on appeal.
3.they have been a real win for the premier league, possibly football as a whole
Look at the premier league from 2000 to the take over and the few years after before their spending catapulted them into the top 4
The top 4 was pretty fixed us, arsenal, liverpool and chelsea.
It would have stayed that way indefinatley without a team being bankrolled from an outside source, because the champions league money meant we and the other three could outspend all our rivals and importantly buy their best players.
The team could have been anyone, it was manchester city. I would much preferred it not to have been our cross town rivals, but it is what it is.
The reason english football is so popular is because many different teams win and we were in danger of losing that. and turning into la liga

for clarity there have now been 7 different english champions since the start of the premier league , in spain there have been 4 and la liga is dull as dishwater because of it.
Before the money went to man city the premier league had 4 different champions, the same as la liga and would not have changed significantly without outside money for a different club.
For the period after the money went into man city, the premier league has had 5 different champions of which 3 hadnt won the premier league previously, la liga has had 3 different champions and they were the same as previously

and for some historical context, there have been 24 different english champions and only 9 different spanish champions since the start of league football in both countries.

Football is only interesting if there is hope of getting to the top.
We do not want to be la liga (dominated by 2/3 teams) or the bundesliga (bayern have won the last 8 years), serie A (Juve have won the last 9).

The enemy isnt sugar daddy clubs its UEFA and FFP, which will turn us into la liga with 4 dominant unchanging teams after a period of adjustment following the investment in city. It will not be shaken up again because the type of investment city had is no longer allowed. The premier league will then stagnate and slowly die.

we need FFP to be updated so that clubs cant borrow excessively but can have outside investment.
If that was in place in the early years of this century the glazers could not have bought us and loaded us with debt and then sucked money out of the club for the next 15 years.

sorry for the rant but i do feel strongly about this
Are you a City fan? I’m not having a go or anything, I have no problem with rival fans posting on here, especially with blue moon being such a dumping ground. It’s cool if you are you don’t have to pretend you’re not.

I only ask because the majority of your posts are quite passionately defending City in the City thread. You clearly have a strong interest in them.

Real Name

Are you a City fan? I’m not having a go or anything, I have no problem with rival fans posting on here, especially with blue moon being such a dumping ground. It’s cool if you are you don’t have to pretend you’re not.

I only ask because the majority of your posts are quite passionately defending City in the City thread. You clearly have a strong interest in them.
I think he's a City fan in disguise.

manc exile

Supports
City

i am not a city fan, i am a united fan
i dont post much on the board because i know my views are in the minority and most of the time i cant be arsed with the abuse that i would receive
Sometimes i get sucked in. This time about city, which is probably because i know a lot about them but i dont care about them and therefore any abuse i get doesnt really hurt, unlike when discussing United , the abuse really hurts. I know a lot about city because I have two daughters who are city fans and like all girls they like to talk (go to the womens football thread from ages ago to find out the reasons). On a side note I also have one daughter who hasnt turned to the dark side.

Just to sum up what I think about City and FFP
1)FFP is a load of old bollocks and was designed to entrench the status quo and thats bad for football (but good for us in the short term)
2)City were found not guilty in the recent case and so even if FFP wasnt a load of old bollocks we dont have a leg to stand on and it makes our fan base look moronic
3)Related to the second point, it makes us look small time, whining because at the moment we cant compete with them on the pitch.

In case your interested my other unpopular views include (but not limited to)
1)Ole is the wrong manager
2)The glazers are complete cnuts (possibly not that unpopular)
3)Sir Alex's ego is the reason the glazer cnuts are in charge of our club
4)Rashford is a very very good player but not world class (nowhere near peak RVN, Rooney or RVP)
5)Maguire is a good defender, but not a good leader and cost too much money when the money needed to be spent elsewhere
6)OT is being run down and needs massive investment or will end up like Hillsborough. I have more than a sneaking suspicion its being done on purpose by our owners.
7)Pogba is a waste of time, not because of his talent but his lack of application
8)Martial is a waste of time, again not because of his talent but his lack of application

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
* Cough
And now he’s an even better one with a new dimension added to his game. Last season he didn’t “get it” and nearly gave up trying but it’s now clicked into place and many would rate him the best in the World at his position(s).
You may look at Zinchenko as an example of him majorly improving a lowly rated player into a real asset.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
I think it was a sarcastic comment to a reporter
Correct. I think that the particular reporter (Andy Dunn) is one of the lazy assed scribes whose articles suggest that any fool could coach a hugely expensive squad of players to multiple records and titles.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
* Cough
Complete nonsense.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Now you know how everyone felt about United between 1992 and 2013.
I actually remember a game, can't remember the year when Spurs went 3-0 ahead vs Man utd by halftime. Christian Ziege scored one of the goals. Man utd ended winning 5-3

That day i declared man utd will win 7/10 titles didn't bargain for Roman and sheikh takeover of Chelsea and Citeh

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I actually remember a game, can't remember the year when Spurs went 3-0 ahead vs Man utd by halftime. Christian Ziege scored one of the goals. Man utd ended winning 5-3

That day i declared man utd will win 7/10 titles didn't bargain for Roman and sheikh takeover of Chelsea and Citeh
I wouldn't have been too impressed by that to be honest, we did the same against a 10 man Man City when they were shite too. :D

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I wouldn't have been too impressed by that to be honest, we did the same against a 10 man Man City when they were shite too. :D
Spurs were with 11 players not 10 and were better than Man city of those times. City were bottom tier even getting relegated

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Spurs were with 11 players not 10 and were better than Man city of those times. City were bottom tier even getting relegated
You misunderstand me. Spurs went into the half time break against Man City 3-0 up and with Joey Barton having been sent off for Man City. Anelka had also gone off injured for Man City.

So we were 3 goals up, a man up, their star striker injured and at White Hart Lane. And we ending up losing 4-3.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Correct. I think that the particular reporter (Andy Dunn) is one of the lazy assed scribes whose articles suggest that any fool could coach a hugely expensive squad of players to multiple records and titles.
I mean...is he wrong?

Hughes was given about a year I believe after the takeover when the owners were splashing money on random players who would come and he didn't win anything. Otherwise the other 2 managers you've had under them have both won the title and both won at least 1 league title and at least one domestic cup.

Of course Pellegrini and Mancini are both inferior managers to Guardiola and their style of play and dominance within matches is nowhere near Guardiola's. Guardiola is also clearly doing a great job domestically and smashing records all over the place.

But it isn't like he's unique in winning the title for free spending Man City.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I mean...is he wrong?

Hughes was given about a year I believe after the takeover when the owners were splashing money on random players who would come and he didn't win anything. Otherwise the other 2 managers you've had under them have both won the title and both won at least 1 league title and at least one domestic cup.

Of course Pellegrini and Mancini are both inferior managers to Guardiola and their style of play and dominance within matches is nowhere near Guardiola's. Guardiola is also clearly doing a great job domestically and smashing records all over the place.

But it isn't like he's unique in winning the title for free spending Man City.
*Looks at United*