Man City struggling to sell out CL Quarter Final v Spurs

Vadim

If I lived in/near Manchester, I definitely would. It's probably a lot easier to get a City season ticket than it is a Wolves on right now, which is what I'm considering :lol:
Probably mate!

padr81

Supports
Man City
My definition of soulless is the Etihad on matchday. Apart from Fulham, definitely the worst matchday in the league unless Utd are visiting.

I actually know a few Utd supporting lads that go because there are always tickets available and they enjoy the footy played by City! (I wouldn’t waste my money on you lot but there we go.)

Like I said, some clubs just have that magic about them. Liverpool, United, even clubs like Villa have that culture, history, the magic about them.

I just can’t take Siddy seriously. My opinion of course.
So there is an exact number of supporters in attendance one must have to have soul? I don't get it. The atmosphere at the Etihad is indeed quiet but I would say thats down to us having a small fanbase and the rest being daytrippers or empty seats.
Would the club have more soul if we played in a 30k stadium that was packed every week? Because in reality it would be the exact same club just in a smaller stadium....

Would you say the "prawn sandwich brigade" are soulful? Your greatest manager didn't think so...

So your 3rd post says only clubs with trophies in the past are soulful... must fecking suck to be Newport County, Stoke, Southampton then...

As I said above a soulless club to me is one run like a corporate business who are more interested in sponsorships than football.
I just can't take your view on what makes a club soulful seriously. My opinion of course.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I actually know a few Utd supporting lads that go because there are always tickets available and they enjoy the footy played by City! (I wouldn’t waste my money on you lot but there we go.)
Couldn't think of out less interesting. Unless you're lucky enough to catch a particularly good game, PL football ain't worth the money and being in the stadium isn't much of an experience like you get in European leagues. It'd be even worse with no passion behind the team you're watching.

Can't knock em if they enjoy it though.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
If they keep qualifying for CL they will steadily get more fans. It's only recently anybody outside England even knew they existed. There will always be glory hunters. Some will start to go.

padr81

Supports
Man City
If they keep qualifying for CL they will steadily get more fans. It's only recently anybody outside England even knew they existed. There will always be glory hunters. Some will start to go.
Eventually but we are a long, long way from that. Even then I don't think we'll ever reach the numbers United/Liverpool/Arsenal have globally. More kind of a best of the rest situation like Chelsea are in.

Loublaze

ATLien
Any sources? I can't seem to find any. A search shows me that the game has been sold out

Vadim

So there is an exact number of supporters in attendance one must have to have soul? I don't get it. The atmosphere at the Etihad is indeed quiet but I would say thats down to us having a small fanbase and the rest being daytrippers or empty seats.
Would the club have more soul if we played in a 30k stadium that was packed every week? Because in reality it would be the exact same club just in a smaller stadium....

Would you say the "prawn sandwich brigade" are soulful? Your greatest manager didn't think so...

So your 3rd post says only clubs with trophies in the past are soulful... must fecking suck to be Newport County, Stoke, Southampton then...

As I said above a soulless club to me is one run like a corporate business who are more interested in sponsorships than football.
I just can't take your view on what makes a club soulful seriously. My opinion of course.
My post didn’t say clubs that won trophies in the past are soulful at all :lol:

You’re going to defend Siddy until you’re Sky Blue in the face and rightly so, it’s your right and your club.

But a hell of a lot of people think that you’re still a tinpot outfit with a few local fans and an owner that buys the rest of the tickets and hands them out. Which is great for the school kid and community, fair play :)

Vadim

This. Its embarrassing if not true
Late last night and this morning, here in the US, many news outlets were reporting that City had NOT sold out their game v Spurs. In the UK, Sky Sports News were reporting this to apparently.

Around 10am this morning UK time, the tickets had finally sold out.

It’s still pretty laughable not selling out a CL final until the actual matchday I think. But maybe that’s just me.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Ticket section of the City website says the game is sold out.

Let's not let the truth get in the way of a good story, eh?
Late last night and this morning, here in the US, many news outlets were reporting that City had NOT sold out their game v Spurs. In the UK, Sky Sports News were reporting this to apparently.

It’s still pretty laughable not selling out a CL final until the actual matchday I think. But maybe that’s just me.
It's especially embarrassing when you have possibly the best ever Premier League team on display.

Meanwhile, we sell out OT to watch a load of pub team footballers.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool

Maybe it's down to ticket prices. Remember that protest where half the City fans in Manchester turned out to protest against prices?

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
My post didn’t say clubs that won trophies in the past are soulful at all :lol:

You’re going to defend Siddy until you’re Sky Blue in the face and rightly so, it’s your right and your club.

But a hell of a lot of people think that you’re still a tinpot outfit with a few local fans and an owner that buys the rest of the tickets and hands them out. Which is great for the school kid and community, fair play :)
So you state we have a primarily local fanbase. Would we be more or less soulless/tinpot, in your estimation, if we'd sold out the game earlier but to non-local JCLs who've only taken an interest in City post-ADUG? You can't have it both ways.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

Funny, it's definitely the non match going fan that always appears to go on about city attendances

Vadim

Funny, it's definitely the non match going fan that always appears to go on about city attendances
You do realise that I’m from Manchester and lived there for 30+ years going to Old Trafford every other week, watching us in the 80s and 90s?

It’s more difficult getting to the games these days seeing as I’m in the US. And that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Etihad is a soulless, half empty bowl more often than not.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
You do realise that I’m from Manchester and lived there for 30+ years going to Old Trafford every other week, watching us in the 80s and 90s?

It’s more difficult getting to the games these days seeing as I’m in the US. And that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Etihad is a soulless, half empty bowl more often than not.

But you don't go now, most match going fans understand now that it's bloody expensive going to games week in week out and instead of pointless pointscoring are trying to work together with the likes of twentys plenty to get clubs to reduce prices

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Fair enough. We had 114 years of soul before ADUG though.
Not "fair enough" at all. Typical huge club fans having a go at another big club because it is nevertheless smaller than them. Bearing in mind that banter is expected in football, and most of us say all kinds of nonsense to have a go at our rivals, the idiocy comes when some fans try to rationalize their club's superiority as something logical. Manchester City is not a soulless football club, nor is any football club I know of whose name is worth remembering.

As a Porto fan I suffered the same my entire life in relation to Benfica. It's more laughable when such clubs are going through a period in which the smaller is far superior. Porto won something like 13 league titles in 20 years, while it also surpassed Benfica in international trophies, and yet they somehow still believed we would feel slighted by being reminded our club is smaller, when we humiliated them year after year on the pitch.

People chose the clubs they support, even if they can't always specify those reasons. If I wanted to support the most popular club because it's "bigger", I would have.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Are you confident for tonight's game? Bit off topic but..
I'm hopeful, but not confident. I think City are favourites to go through, but something like 60: 40 favourites.

It all hinges on us scoring that vital away goal. An early away goal would be best of all. If we do, then City will need to score 3 with no further reply and then the odds swing in our favour.

andyox

Supports
Manchester City
Not "fair enough" at all. Typical huge club fans having a go at another big club because it is nevertheless smaller than them. Bearing in mind that banter is expected in football, and most of us say all kinds of nonsense to have a go at our rivals, the idiocy comes when some fans try to rationalize their club's superiority as something logical. Manchester City is not a soulless football club, nor is any football club I know of whose name is worth remembering.

As a Porto fan I suffered the same my entire life in relation to Benfica. It's more laughable when such clubs are going through a period in which the smaller is far superior. Porto won something like 13 league titles in 20 years, while it also surpassed Benfica in international trophies, and yet they somehow still believed we would feel slighted by being reminded our club is smaller, when we humiliated them year after year on the pitch.

People chose the clubs they support, even if they can't always specify those reasons. If I wanted to support the most popular club because it's "bigger", I would have.
My "fair enough" didn't imply I agreed with the poster, it was just my response to his clarification that the "soulless" tag was apparently aimed at City the club, rather than the fans. For the record, I don't think either the club or the fans are soulless. Every club and every fanbase has soul, irrespective of average attendance or trophies won or current owner or any other arbitrary metric.

I think City fans know who we are as a fanbase, and that fanbase hasn't changed much in the 11 years since the ADUG takeover. If our success continues I'd imagine ultimately there will be a transition away from the local core fanbase, but it's not one I'm particularly hoping for, even if it will fill more seats and spend more in the club shop. The empty seats banter seems to be the stick of choice for those wanting to have a go at City. In some ways it's probably a good thing -- we're probably doing things right on the pitch if the easiest avenue for criticism is that we don't sell out the ground every week or that we don't sell it out quickly enough.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
I'm hopeful, but not confident. I think City are favourites to go through, but something like 60: 40 favourites.

It all hinges on us scoring that vital away goal. An early away goal would be best of all. If we do, then City will need to score 3 with no further reply and then the odds swing in our favour.
I hope you do it. You & Ajax for a place in the final would be a great tie.

Castia

Well when they don’t sell out they give the tickets away for free so technically it’s always ‘sold out’

My mate got 4 free tickets to the FA Cup semi final and free travel from the Etihad to wembley through his wife being a teacher in a local school.

Vadim

But you don't go now, most match going fans understand now that it's bloody expensive going to games week in week out and instead of pointless pointscoring are trying to work together with the likes of twentys plenty to get clubs to reduce prices
How do you know that I don’t go to games now? You’re aware of the concept flying, aren’t you?

And what about all the Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Spurs etc fans that pack our their stadiums every match day? They don’t use the “it’s bloody expensive” excuse you’ve just rolled out.

Just accept it, City don’t have as many fans as they’d like us all to believe.

SiRed

They won't admit it, but i see it written all over there faces at work but the city fans absolutely hate the fact the we want them to win the league and not Liverpool. Because they know they are insignificant in the football world and we are just confirming it to them by wanting them to lift the EPL in May.

As a collective they desperately want to be respected as one of the big boys..... Its just not happening for them.

Good team though. Terrible fans.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
How do you know that I don’t go to games now? You’re aware of the concept flying, aren’t you?

And what about all the Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Spurs etc fans that pack our their stadiums every match day? They don’t use the “it’s bloody expensive” excuse you’ve just rolled out.

Just accept it, City don’t have as many fans as they’d like us all to believe.

I don't know of any city fan who claims we've a massive worldwide fanbase, but you're obviously not a weekly matchgoing fan and those are the ones who, generally, keep on going on about how many tickets city are selling

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool

6~ minutes in they're talking about them struggling to sell out their allocation.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

6~ minutes in they're talking about them struggling to sell out their allocation.

Daft thing is when we were really really shit we sold loads of tickets, not as many as Liverpool, united, arsenal but we sold plenty, we still sell plenty but the ground isn't full of people from Ireland, Scotland, Newcastle, London etc so we're a tinpot club according to some who don't even go to games regularly, go figure

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

City already have the LC in the bank, the title is in their hands with 5 games remaining, the FA Cup is practically in the bag and if they make it through tonight they will be in the semi-finals of the CL with a very real possibility of winning the competition, completing an unprecedented quadruple in the process. Spurs have to stop them tonight.

But no pressure, we all know how your lot handle pressure.

Last edited:

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Daft thing is when we were really really shit we sold loads of tickets, not as many as Liverpool, united, arsenal but we sold plenty, we still sell plenty but the ground isn't full of people from Ireland, Scotland, Newcastle, London etc so we're a tinpot club according to some who don't even go to games regularly, go figure
International fans can be just as dedicated & passionate as local fans, so to dismiss them readily just because you have none is pretty daft.

Bob H from Manchester

I remember when city had won nowt for a good long while and your lot delighted in the slightest rumour of anything not going quite right with our club - that was petty bitterness brought on by decades of abject failure.
I see this forum and it looks like the change in fortunes has made some of our own take on that mantle of bitter infantile name-calling. I think that we should be bigger than this and stick to football because that's what it's really about isn't it?

Also, re selling seats. The stats I've seen have them having better occupation rates than the dippers - they have more seats than the scouse and they sell more seats and have less empties . . so if anyone here wants to keep acting like children they should point their bile at klanfield perhaps? And aren't they supposed to be our main opposition?

Maybe not a popular suggestion what with the kids being off school but I'm sure the vast majority of our real fans will be happier if we drop stuff like this - if we don't have some proper subject matter to batter them with then we should act like adults and zip it.

sp_107

How difficult it could become to get tickets to Old Trafford if UTD got same players or that level as city

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
City already have the LC in the bank, the title is in their hands with 5 games remaining, the FA Cup is practically in the bag and if they make it through tonight they will be in the semi-finals of the CL with a very real possibility of winning the competition, completing an unprecedented quadruple in the process. Spurs have to stop them tonight.

But no pressure, we all know how your lot handle pressure.
So there was no pressure for Spurs to win the 1st leg, especially it being the first ever CL game in our new stadium?

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Where was I dismissing them?
but the ground isn't full of people from Ireland, Scotland, Newcastle, London etc so we're a tinpot club according to some
Sounds pretty dismissive to me. Fans come from all over to watch their clubs nowadays. Man United probably have more fans outside of the UK than there are people actually living in the UK :lol: Meanwhile, City don't really have more fans outside of Manchester than are living in Manchester.

You're still a small club on steroids, and the ticket sales in recent weeks has shown that. The fact there were tickets left less than 24 hours before kick-off is baffling, and something you'd not really expect of any other club in the country.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Sounds pretty dismissive to me. Fans come from all over to watch their clubs nowadays. Man United probably have more fans outside of the UK than there are people actually living in the UK :lol: Meanwhile, City don't really have more fans outside of Manchester than are living in Manchester.

You're still a small club on steroids, and the ticket sales in recent weeks has shown that. The fact there were tickets left less than 24 hours before kick-off is baffling, and something you'd not really expect of any other club in the country.
But the only reason United and liverpool have so many fans is because of success.

If City keep winning the new fans will come.

Both United and Liverpool struggled to fill their stadiums in the the 70s and 80s.

Meanwhile all ths smaller clubs will struggle even more.

Last edited:

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
But the only reason United and liverpool have so many fans is because of success.

If City keep winning the new fans will come.

Meanwhile all ths smaller clubs will struggle even more.
Mostly true. The only thing that turns a smaller club into a bigger one is success & the passage of time, but I think it'll be a little bit harder for City to attract new fans due to the nature of their club as a plaything for a middle-eastern nation.

Thunderhead

Supports
City

Nah, it's not baffling at all, people only have so much money and we don't have thousands of fans from other towns coming down to swell the numbers, I could go but I choose not to for many reasons, the owners being one and the other being on holiday, I know other fans who feel the same way as me