Man City struggling to sell out CL Quarter Final v Spurs

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Mostly true. The only thing that turns a smaller club into a bigger one is success & the passage of time, but I think it'll be a little bit harder for City to attract new fans due to the nature of their club as a plaything for a middle-eastern nation.
Nah, I could show you a training session at a junior club on the outskirts of Newcastle, the number of city fans outnumber Liverpool at least 5-1, united, Chelsea and obviously Newcastle are the most common tops, hardly any young Liverpool fans round here now. Most of these kids if they remain city fans won't give a shit about the owners, same for your Asian fans.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
So there was no pressure for Spurs to win the 1st leg, especially it being the first ever CL game in our new stadium?
But you're heading into the second leg with a valuable lead. Expectancy has risen and the pressure along with it.

Tonight is an ideal opportunity for Spurs to put the 'bottlers' tag to bed by winning the tie.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
City will need a decade or two of domination to catch up to United and Liverpool's following. Winning a title every few years will do feck all. They've won 3 in 10 years, Liverpool and United doubled that output when they were the top dogs and did it for 2 decades.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
It was obviously the corrupt UEFA at the direction of the Rags preventing the fan base from buying up tickets until the last minute to make them look bad.

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
But you're heading into the second leg with a valuable lead. Expectancy has risen and the pressure along with it.

Tonight is an ideal opportunity for Spurs to put the 'bottlers' tag to bed by winning the tie.
Funny thing is if Spurs win tonight , Man City will be considered the bottlers considering the expectations of them in the UCL and how they've performed. City are still favourites to qualify even considering the 1-0 lead for Spurs.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Funny thing is if Spurs win tonight , Man City will be considered the bottlers considering the expectations of them in the UCL and how they've performed. City are still favourites to qualify even considering the 1-0 lead for Spurs.
That's a fair point. So whoever loses tonight will be considered bottlers.

The question is, will Liverpool be considered bottlers if throw away a 2 goal advantage to Porto?

Can23

Supports
Liverpool
That's a fair point. So whoever loses tonight will be considered bottlers.

The question is, will Liverpool be considered bottlers if throw away a 2 goal advantage to Porto?
Yes of course we would, we're clear favourites to go through.

Kapardin

Spurs weren't the favorites and City are a side who can score at will. If Spurs are knocked out after being 3-0 on aggregate at one point, I would put it down to a mix of naivete on their part (completely justified considering their inexperience) coupled with City's superior ability to get back in the game thanks to their world class goalscorers. Not a bottle job this time.

padr81

Supports
Man City
My post didn’t say clubs that won trophies in the past are soulful at all :lol:

You’re going to defend Siddy until you’re Sky Blue in the face and rightly so, it’s your right and your club.

But a hell of a lot of people think that you’re still a tinpot outfit with a few local fans and an owner that buys the rest of the tickets and hands them out. Which is great for the school kid and community, fair play :)
So what does?

You are entitled to the opinion in the 3rd line. How though can you judge the club as being soulless when you haven't been there?

What I'm asking is again the same as the first line, what constitutes a soulless club?

It can't be the Etihad being empty because well despite the poor showings often but still we pull a bigger crowd than 90% of European football clubs. This means probably 95% of club in England are soulless.

It can't be the atmosphere because Old Trafford is like a morgue much of the time, so bad in fact that the club had to have a meeting with fans to try and sort it just last year and Sir Alex openly criticized it too. You do though have the best away support in the league imho, but your home support is nothing in terms of atmosphere in comparison with Liverpool or Dortmund for example. This would make United soulless and you just said they are magic.

It's not trophies and historical success so I'm none the wiser where this soul comes from?

padr81

Supports
Man City
How do you know that I don’t go to games now? You’re aware of the concept flying, aren’t you?

And what about all the Liverpool, United, Arsenal, Spurs etc fans that pack our their stadiums every match day? They don’t use the “it’s bloody expensive” excuse you’ve just rolled out.

Just accept it, City don’t have as many fans as they’d like us all to believe.
Another misconception, no City fan in the right mind thinks we have nearly as many fans as the historically big clubs. I don't know where the Caf pulls this myth from. We know 100% we haven't the fanbase other clubs have.

Sauldogba

For those who say the etihad is soul less have any of you actually been there?
Geniune question.
I havent myself but it looks live from the tv.
Doesnt seen like one of these soul less placed at all.

Last edited:

Sauldogba

So there is an exact number of supporters in attendance one must have to have soul? I don't get it. The atmosphere at the Etihad is indeed quiet but I would say thats down to us having a small fanbase and the rest being daytrippers or empty seats.
Would the club have more soul if we played in a 30k stadium that was packed every week? Because in reality it would be the exact same club just in a smaller stadium....

Would you say the "prawn sandwich brigade" are soulful? Your greatest manager didn't think so...

So your 3rd post says only clubs with trophies in the past are soulful... must fecking suck to be Newport County, Stoke, Southampton then...

As I said above a soulless club to me is one run like a corporate business who are more interested in sponsorships than football.
I just can't take your view on what makes a club soulful seriously. My opinion of course.
Tell them again please.
If anything WE are the ones thats being run like a soul less club

padr81

Supports
Man City
Tell them again please.
If anything WE are the ones thats being run like a soul less club
Well I wouldn't say we're exactly the definition of the opposite, I think neither are souless, just both have owners that have non football reasons for owning said clubs.