Man City's Insane Spending

FatTails

No, nothing can be done. They have now won 6 out of the last 11 PL titles and 4 out of the last 5. We’re approaching Juventus levels of domination of a few years back, and it is going to get worse.

Deadly combination of great manager, insane levels of money, competent staff, and some of the best lawyers money can buy.

The super league actually had stipulations that would’ve helped, but that’s now dead and everyone in England and Europe is presumably happy being a side show to state-funded clubs dominating for years to come.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea bought Kepa and dumped him on the bench
Only because we/Cech somehow managed to find a world class keeper for peanuts (in this market) to offset it.

If Mendy was as little as merely good Kepa would have eventually got another chance.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
My workmate is Manchester born and bred.
The City success is mentally killing him. He says you see more kids running about wearing City tops than Utd now.
I really think this is a commentary we try to promote to lessen the pain of our failings.

I mean that is logical as most youth in Manchester weren't alive when we were dominant so of course city is far more appealing to them.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
The hilarious thing is we'll be having this exact same conversation about Newcastle in 10 years. Abu Dhabi FC vs. Saudi Arabia FC. Exciting stuff.
And we will still be looking for a defensive midfielder in the next window:lol:

ExecutionerWasp001

My workmate is Manchester born and bred.
The City success is mentally killing him. He says you see more kids running about wearing City tops than Utd now.
I really think this is a commentary we try to promote to lessen the pain of our failings.
Have not seen a massive increase of people wearing City tops in Manchester.

Support of a club is in the main passed through generations. A child supports who his father & Grandfather supported.

You will obviously see more City tops in the Blue areas of Manchester now than before the takeover. Many of these fans wouldn't have worn their colours on the streets before as it invited ridicule if they visited a Red area of Manchester.

The Blue areas of Manchester are very small though compared to the Red areas.

It would obviously concern me if I started seeing City tops being worn in traditional Utd areas. As it is I rarely see anyone in a City top while I'm out & about.

TheReligion

Abusive
This. Same with Chelsea last year, they spent 100m on Lukaku but recouped the entire amount. We have not came out of any summer with profits from sales. We are poorly run and unfortunately the oil clubs have the money plus the right people making the football decisions.
what you on about here? If signing Lukaku for £100m and letting lots of talented academy plays leave the club is a display of a well run club….

Clue. It’s not

Tallis

The La Liga president said after the Mbappe transfer that he doesn’t believe the true cost of the Haaland transfer would ever be reported. I have felt the same way for many years - the wages and sign-ons etc are private information. Who knows how much they are paying.

redcucumber

And with rather more justification.
Their spending has won them all of those trophies.
Ours, not so much...
So whose spending has been insane?
Their money was generated through corrupt sponsorship deals, ours wasn't.

alexthelion

This. Same with Chelsea last year, they spent 100m on Lukaku but recouped the entire amount. We have not came out of any summer with profits from sales. We are poorly run and unfortunately the oil clubs have the money plus the right people making the football decisions.
Really? From whom?

Lost bear

Their money was generated through corrupt sponsorship deals, ours wasn't.
Oh yeah, totally (well, almost totally) agree. I was talking only about the results of our respective spendings, not the sources of it. It all rather stinks in my opinion, but then that’s capitalism for you.

The La Liga president said after the Mbappe transfer that he doesn’t believe the true cost of the Haaland transfer would ever be reported. I have felt the same way for many years - the wages and sign-ons etc are private information. Who knows how much they are paying.
Of course he’s right.
Haaland was a 150m player that required only 50 ish going to his club. You’re an absolute moron if you didn’t realise when he signed for Dortmund that was exactly Raiola’s plan. Just as was his ridiculously good Pogba > Juve deal yet massively multiplied.
His Dad knew it too.
It’s a win for City, the agent, the player and his Dad.
The agent and his Dad get paid tens of millions via City’s non footballing entities, the player will get the usual City double wage, and City get gullible as feck football fans believing they “play to the rules” and got him for just 50ish million.

allen7

Sold Abraham, Guehi, Tomori, livramento etc to fund the Lukaku deal last year.
Chelsea winning the CL at 2021 has really given them a leeway to make bad signings and still largely escape criticism from media.

MUFC OK

Sold a bunch of academy talent for over £100m to fund the Lukaku move.
Not recouped as you haven’t sold anyone this window but last season sold; Abraham, Zouma, Tomori, Guehi. Whilst academy players, they weren’t insignificant contributors and that only makes the deal look worse.

The market value of those players now v Lukaku would highlight that.

arnie_ni

He hasn’t signed a contract extension since December 2018. At which point he had played 136 minutes of premier league football. I know it sounds insanely low, but in this context it’s completely plausible.
Probably helps further the argument your players are paid through another vehicle

I’m loving my life

Of course he’s right.
Haaland was a 150m player that required only 50 ish going to his club. You’re an absolute moron if you didn’t realise when he signed for Dortmund that was exactly Raiola’s plan. Just as was his ridiculously good Pogba > Juve deal yet massively multiplied.
His Dad knew it too.
The agent and his Dad get paid tens of millions via City’s non footballing entities, the player will get the usual City double wage, and City get gullible as feck football fans believing they “play to the rules” and got him for just 50ish million.
100% on the money in terms of all parties you mention. This is the state of the game nowadays.

And they say football at the global level is screwed….it’s hard to work out a way back from this.

Xaviboy

Talk of them selling Ake to Chelsea as part of the Sterling deal.

Wonder what centre back they bring in now?

Josep Dowling

Of course he’s right.
His Dad knew it too.
Talksport this morning were saying about how he’s ‘only’ cost £51m and that money will be recouped from the sale of Sterling. It’s crazy how they get reported as efficient. There is no chance that a player of Haaland’s quality sold for £51m.

Talksport this morning were saying about how he’s ‘only’ cost £51m and that money will be recouped from the sale of Sterling. It’s crazy how they get reported as efficient. There is no chance that a player of Haaland’s quality sold for £51m.
That entire Dortmund deal was created by Raiola to maximise the profit for the agent, father and player. As the La Liga bloke says, we’ll never know but judging by the Mbappe deal, I’d be absolutely amazed if the entire package pre wages doesn’t ensure that Haaland, the agent and his Dad take the remainder of that 100m transfer spend “saving” that Raiola created.

manc exile

Supports
City
I really don't get this ''well run club'' narrative. They would actually be Billions in debt if they were run as a self sustaining business, ergo they wouldn't exist at all.
It's right to say Abu Dhabi had a plan in place when they took over the club. The plan though was to copy the Barcelona model. It's not innovative thinking on their part.

To spend the sums City spend legitimately they would need to have a Global footprint. We are the biggest & most succesful club in England yet we can only dream of spending £300 Mill in a transfer window & spending £100 Mill on a bench warmer.

They will need 21 to overtake us.

Where is Barcelona's equivalent to the CFG clubs (currently nine clubs)?

manc exile

Supports
City
You're forgetting that Abu Dhabi is artificially inflating the commercial income by about £150m a year. Without that illegal support, the club would have collapsed into insolvency long ago.

That's not even including all the illegal activity that has come to light in the leaks about how the club has moved costs off the balance sheet (such as selling worthless image rights to a connected company for tens of millions or employing the manager as a "tourism ambassador" without requiring him to do anything just so you can bung him an extra few million a year that is not caught by FFP).

Without the illegal support of Abu Dhabi, City would have done a "Leeds" - imploded, and spent a decade in the championship.
how do you arrive at that figure?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Not recouped as you haven’t sold anyone this window but last season sold; Abraham, Zouma, Tomori, Guehi. Whilst academy players, they weren’t insignificant contributors and that only makes the deal look worse.

The market value of those players now v Lukaku would highlight that.
It was terrible squad management. I was in here actively arguing against selling guys like Guehi and Livramento. But I was just answering a question about the incomings and outgoings the summer we signed Lukaku.

ExecutionerWasp001

Where is Barcelona's equivalent to the CFG clubs (currently nine clubs)?
Barcelona didn't need to start buying up clubs in Mickey Mouse leagues to try & create a Global footprint. They were Barcelona, everyone knew who they were. The multi club model is a Soriano innovation. This looks like it's going the same way as his disastrous Spanair venture.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Them winning the CL is a matter of when. It will happen eventually.
Agreed. And anyne here sayign they'd support Liverpool in anything and for anything should have a lifetime ban :devil::)

If Liverpool were the only club left in English football, I'd watch women's netball! (no disrespect to women or netball intended)

ForeverRed1

Agreed. And anyne here sayign they'd support Liverpool in anything and for anything should have a lifetime ban :devil::)

If Liverpool were the only club left in English football, I'd watch women's netball! (no disrespect to women or netball intended)
wouldn’t be surprised if they win it this year with the signings they are making. Ergh.

hmmm that’s a tricky one as the one thing I don’t want city to win is the CL. Soon as they do, they start to become a big club and start winning it more i reckon. Liverpool winning it isn’t any better. It’s a terrible time to be a United fan really:lol:

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
wouldn’t be surprised if they win it this year with the signings they are making. Ergh.

hmmm that’s a tricky one as the one thing I don’t want city to win is the CL. Soon as they do, they start to become a big club and start winning it more i reckon. Liverpool winning it isn’t any better. It’s a terrible time to be a United fan really:lol:
I look at it this one (and I'm aware I'm being overly optimistic): if/when Pep leaves, not sure City will be able to replace him and keep things as they are. More likely to drop. Sadly, Liverpool's foundations look much more sturdy to me so when Klopp leaves, they will just continue on - unless someone can convince them to hire Ole!

erikcred

I look at it this one (and I'm aware I'm being overly optimistic): if/when Pep leaves, not sure City will be able to replace him and keep things as they are. More likely to drop. Sadly, Liverpool's foundations look much more sturdy to me so when Klopp leaves, they will just continue on - unless someone can convince them to hire Ole!
Nah, City were winning league titles before Pep too. Will likely continue to win after he leaves, probably with less frequency but still fairly regularly. Liverpool's current success on the other hand is completely down to Klopp. They'll be back to fighting for top-4 very soon. Even now, they need to play their hearts out just to give City a challenge.

Don't worry, they will hire Slippy Stevie the hero, all will be good and they will never win anything again :}

Edinburgh

Supports
Man City
Must be true then if he says it. It couldn't be related to losing Messi and Ronaldo and the 2 ideal replacements have both rejected the Spanish league which could have negative impacts on how they sell the Spanish league to foreign buyers as a result?
Re: Haaland. Are you saying the fact he had a release clause which was relatively common knowledge with everybody was a lie? Presumably not so presumably therefore you are saying City gave lots of backhanders to his agent and his Dad, dog, family etc etc and otherwise he would not have come to City? Whilst there will have no doubt been additional payments why do you think his agent would be different in this transfer than Pogba for example?

I don't understand why anybody can not take a step back and think this through logically.
Think of it this way - you are 21. You are offered to play for the team who have won the hardest league (and most popular) in the world 4 out of the past 5 years. A team desperate for a player with your skills where you feel you would flourish as a result. A team your Dad played for, and a team you supported and watched as a child. NOT I repeat NOT the team who were languishing for 30 years between 1981 and 2008 but one of, if not the best teams in the world. Why would you not want to go to that team?
United now are where City were 15 years ago - and it is United who have to find extra incentives for players to join them. City have the fact that they are the best team in England. Remember a 21 year old now was 7 in 2008 and 12 or 13 when United last finished higher than City. History before that has little relevance to people of that age.

Reactions: Sultan