Man Convicted in Scotland for Making a Joke

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Wasting police time (I mean, not much - I'm not exactly concerned but it's still not really on), so you can encourage others to be outraged when the police are polite enough to pretend they'll take you seriously.

And, yeah, it's pretty woeful that Pie is going along with this person's nonsense.

Drainy

Wasting police time (I mean, not much - I'm not exactly concerned but it's still not really on), so you can encourage others to be outraged when the police are polite enough to pretend they'll take you seriously.

And, yeah, it's pretty woeful that Pie is going along with this person's nonsense.
It's in the public interest to see how the police respond to this video.

Given the result of the Dankula prosecution, it's reasonable to expect similar for Jonathan Pie.

As an aside, we're already seeing the smearing of him as a Nazi sympathizer for defending free speech here. It's disgusting, but that is the mentality of some people. Pie standing up for Count Dankula, who was himself only guilty of doing an unfunny prank video and is being smeared with guilt by association, is crazy.

Remember when Noam Chomsky was in favour of allowing holocaust deniers free speech rights? Is he a Nazi?

People don't seem to get that in order for you to be for free speech you must defend the rights of people you don't agree with, even if you think they are digusting.

If you only defend the rights of the people you deem as worthy then you don't truly believe in those principles.

DOTA

It's in the public interest to see how the police respond to this video.

Given the result of the Dankula prosecution, it's reasonable to expect similar for Jonathan Pie.
I entirely disagree on both counts.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I think the opposite. If anything, Pie is right, and it's woeful that there aren't more people (especially comedians) who aren't defending the right to joke about things you might not like.

George Carlin was right in the 90s.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Pie is right that it isn't great there aren't many people/celebrities defending this Dankula chap. You have to be able to joke about things and context is extremely important.

However on the flip side I can understand why people aren't too keen on getting involved in this, no one really wants to defend a Nazi joke especially if the bloke turned out to be a Nazi (not saying he is but I've never heard of this bloke before). Could end up massively backfiring on you.

In any case it's ridiculous it has ever got to this stage.

DOTA

I think the opposite. If anything, Pie is right, and it's woeful that there aren't more people (especially comedians) who aren't defending the right to joke about things you might not like.
By 'this person's nonsense' I mean fecking around with the police by pretending to be offended - just in in case that wasn't clear. I'm criticising Pie for getting involved in that, not for his rather good (not that I agreed with it) video he made on the topic.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
By 'this person's nonsense' I mean fecking around with the police by pretending to be offended - just in in case that wasn't clear. I'm criticising Pie for getting involved in that, not for his rather good (not that I agreed with it) video he made on the topic.
Ahh, my apologies. I should've read more than the latest page :D

stevoc

This is one of the most ridiculous things i've heard about. Ridiculous that he even got arrested for making a joke never mind tried and convicted.

stevoc

If the prosecution and the judge really did convict this guy because they think context is irrelevant, then thats scary. Surely at some point during the proceedings someone involved will have repeated the phrase 'Gas the Jews'?

In which case shouldn't everyone involved in the process including the prosecution, Police and maybe even the judge himself that repeated the phrase also be arrested and convicted?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Fined 800 pounds, will appeal. I reckon court got a bit of a cold feet due to publicity. It's still 800 pounds too many.

Heh.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
He was always going to be fined rather than jailed. We all called it. It never shouldn’t have gotten even that far of course, but still, let’s not act like his attention seeking “I’m going to jail for a joke!” shtick was ever actually plausible.

Meanwhile he’s been doing his supporters super proud by supporting the shit show that was ‘Alfie’s Army’, retweeting Breitbart and InfoWars and appearing at an Alt Right event with Milo & Tommy Robinson... Because he was never actually a right wing dick head guys, it was all just a joke, innit?

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
He was always going to be fined rather than jailed. We all called it. It never shouldn’t have gotten even that far of course, but still, let’s not act like his attention seeking “I’m going to jail for a joke!” shtick was ever actually plausible.

Meanwhile he’s been doing his supporters super proud by supporting the shit show that was ‘Alfie’s Army’, retweeting Breitbart and InfoWars and appearing at an Alt Right event with Milo & Tommy Robinson... Because he was never actually a right wing dick head guys, it was all just a joke, innit?
You can be a right wing dick head and still not deserve to be prosecuted for something like this.

Mockney

You can be a right wing dick head and still not deserve to be prosecuted for something like this.
And I said as much, did I not?

I also think it’s important not to deify this prick. Whose also managed to monetise his situation to the tune of 100k on Go Fund Me btw. For...Some reason or other?

He has his free speech. And I have mine. He’s a nasty trolling prick that’s loved every minute of this.

Drainy

Perhaps it's because most of the free speech advocates are unfortunately right wing these days?

A few decades ago, the free speech argument was argued from the left over obscenity laws. He could have been hanging with Frank Zappa and Noam Chomsky instead.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
And I said as much, did I not?

I also think it’s important not to deify this prick. Whose also managed to monetise his situation to the tune of 100k on Go Fund Me btw. For...Some reason or other?

He has his free speech. And I have mine. He’s a nasty trolling prick that’s loved every minute of this. Zipedee do da
Hadn't realised he had made money out of the whole incident. Loses all rights to sympathy in that case. Really does look manufactured just to cause a storm in that case.

Drainy

Hadn't realised he had made money out of the whole incident. Loses all rights to sympathy in that case. Really does look manufactured just to cause a storm in that case.
If I remember correctly, his channel had less than 100 subs and he wasn't in any way a 'Youtuber' when he did the video. The video went viral and then the police arrested him.

The internet became interested in him because free speech is a trending topic online.
In fairness to the guy, he was unemployed (and unemployable given the circumstances)- he's taken the opportunity to make some money while he can by becoming an online personality after the event.

Mockney

He could have been hanging with Frank Zappa and Noam Chomsky instead.
Yeah...but no. He’s a right wing troll first, free speech advocate second.

I agree there’s been a problematic shift in the left regarding this stuff, but treating this pillock like the persecuted everyman he patently wants you to to is precisely the kind of feckery I’m not having.

Free speech is cool an that, but let’s call a spade a spade, and not a fecking hero

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He got a blue tick on Twitter for being a wanker.

Drainy

Yeah...but no. He’s a right wing troll first, free speech advocate second.

I agree there’s been a problematic shift in the left regarding this stuff, but treating this pillock like the persecuted everyman he patently wants you to to is precisely the kind of feckery I’m not having.

Free speech is cool an that, but let’s call a spade a spade, and not a fecking hero
He could be the biggest cnut on the planet, if he wins his court case (which is the reason for his gofundme https://uk.gofundme.com/fund-the-count-dankula-appeal. , btw) it doesn't matter what his intentions are.

If you agree with the rights of UK citizens to say offensive jokes you should be backing his legal case. It's about the ideas and principles, not individuals.

Mockney

And again, I’ve said I do... Numerous times. So whoopty do. I merely don’t see why that equates with me needing to treat him like some heroic pariah. He’s a piece of shit troll and my equateable right to free speech means I can support his rights whilst also calling him out as a piece of shit troll.

Last edited:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

He's definetely not a hero.