Man jailed for racially abusing Marcus Rashford on twitter

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I reckon this thread will be a disaster in about 17 posts.

kthanksbye

Good, one of the most effective ways to kick racism out of football and people in general.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good, prick. These Twitter and Instagram followers are absolute cretins of the highest order.

MUFC OK

Good. More prosecutions of this sort please and greater regulation on social media accounts - you need to show ID to bet, you should also need ID to maintain a SM account.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Step in the right direction

This is great news but wow the double standards in this country make me sick.

It made me think of this story last month. The woman below was racist towards a whole group of Asian people, attacked someone who needed plastic surgery from the injuries and they were spared jail.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/16/lond...ing-plastic-surgery-spared-jail-16118444/amp/

Can the justice system protect ordinary people too or do only celebrities get justice.

AndySmith1990

Good. The vile and hateful people out there who believe they are safe to abuse others online need to be held accountable for their behaviour. Hopefully it'll be a wake up call for this guy and he'll become a better person.

TsuWave

It made me think of this story last month. The woman below was racist towards a whole group of Asian people, attacked someone who needed plastic surgery from the injuries and they were spared jail.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/02/16/lond...ing-plastic-surgery-spared-jail-16118444/amp/

Can the justice system protect ordinary people too or do only celebrities get justice.
You could make a separate thread about this, add some context, not conflate things and then maybe the forum could discuss?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Finally.

If the threat of jail-time doesn't deter them from spewing hate-speech all over Twitter, nothing will. A big step forward this.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The image of that article and tweet should be the perpetrator rather than the victim.

You could make a separate thread about this, add some context, not conflate things and then maybe the forum could discuss?
I don’t want to do that, was just posting my initial reaction, your right though, it would make for a good debate!

I just feel this country doesn’t do enough against racism. When there’s a high profile case they pretend they are tough on racism but not tough enough for my liking.

Anyway I am very pleased this racist keyboard warrior didn’t get away with it!

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

They've set a precedent now which can be used as an example for similar cases of racism in the future, celebs or otherwise.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I reckon this thread will be a disaster in about 17 posts.
3-1 “yeah but how many weeks will he get for his shambolic performances?”

12-1 “6 weeks for just some words? you can’t say anything nowadays. it was only read by his pr team anyways.”

33-1 “6 weeks? he should have been locked away for life and forced to watch close family members burn to death in front of him.”

50-1 “i want him out of the club asap. why aren’t match going fans being racist to him as well to force him out?”

1-5 “i doubt he even read it. he only ever reads the third or fourth tweets in a thread as even his twitter is offside.”

RedDevil@84

Good. The anonymity of social meda has given rise to scums getting away with everything

SuperiorXI

A small but positive step in the right direction. Social media has an enormous hurdle to overcome in terms of anonymity and racism/hate speech etc.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned

The woman in that story got justice. The perpetrator received a suspended sentence order, she didn't walk out of Court without a punitive element and will have to attend rehabilitative sessions, amongst other things, not to mention there were mitigating circumstances that meant a custodial sentence was not the right sentence for this woman. Just because you don't see justice as anything other than prison, that doesn't mean it isn't served.

JuriM

FInally, anyone going against him on these forums should follow suit ASAP.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No place for racism, so any punishment is a good thing.

But why wasn't Suarez jailed back then when he racially abused Evra.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
No place for racism, so any punishment is a good thing.

But why wasn't Suarez jailed back then when he racially abused Evra.
Any hint...

Why are Obama and Bush free after commiting war crimes?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Only thing I criticize is the length of the sentence. cnut deserves more.
It's 280 characters on Twitter now and that's long enough, I definitely don't think racists deserve more.

Delighted this cretin has been locked up. Hopefully this is well-publicised and causes other would-be-racists to STFU !

Wing Attack Plan R

I think it’s strange a person can be locked up for saying something, or writing something, no matter how offensive and mean it might be. To me the remedy would be banning from Twitter, societal ostracism, and maybe a civil case. That old saying, “I may not agree with you but I will fight/die for your right to say it”. Dude who abused Rashford was a piece of shit, no question. I think the first amendment (US) has to allow for vile, hateful speech. If people are offended, there are remedies, but squelching free speech should not be one of them. People get offended over tons of things now, and someone being offended isn’t enough to sacrifice the right to be offensive. Racism sucks in sports and elsewhere, so efforts to drive it and racists from the public sphere should be supported, but I still think jailing someone for speech is a slippery slope we don’t want to go down.

Jackal981

Good. We can bash his performance on the pitch but bringing race is just asinine.

Foxbatt

Good. There is no place for racism. Now it's set a precedent jail everyone who does it.

Foxbatt

I think it’s strange a person can be locked up for saying something, or writing something, no matter how offensive and mean it might be. To me the remedy would be banning from Twitter, societal ostracism, and maybe a civil case. That old saying, “I may not agree with you but I will fight/die for your right to say it”. Dude who abused Rashford was a piece of shit, no question. I think the first amendment (US) has to allow for vile, hateful speech. If people are offended, there are remedies, but squelching free speech should not be one of them. People get offended over tons of things now, and someone being offended isn’t enough to sacrifice the right to be offensive. Racism sucks in sports and elsewhere, so efforts to drive it and racists from the public sphere should be supported, but I still think jailing someone for speech is a slippery slope we don’t want to go down.
Obviously he was sentenced and jailed in the UK charged under the hate crime.
So the USA and any amendments don't matter.
Good on the CPS and the Judge.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think sending people to jail over Tweets is a slippery slope, if I'm being honest. Maybe they're just making an example of the teen in question, even so. I support efforts to remove racism from the game, I just worry what this sort of thing can snowball into in the long term.