Man United begin contract talks with Eric Bailly

SwedishFish

That's true. It depends on the contract doesn't it. It should reflect his unreliabilty.
Yes absolutely, we shouldn't give him an OTT contract with his injury problems but he seems to be a positive character in the squad that doesn't sulk due to lack of game time.

Waynne

Why why why

And can someone tell me where is Phil Jones? Is he dead?

Jezpeza

Ledley King situation? Only if you mean by injured same amount of time. Because on footballing ability Ledley King was leagues ahead of Bailly in every aspect of the game.
yeah not really comparing the football ability just mean he is okay when playing but cant play every week like king couldnt. Steady player in a backup role is about his ceiling else he will either get injured or just not be good enough week in week out

The Original

The claim was: We should keep him because he has a great record.

United are a PL club and to be kept because of your stats, it must surely be stats against PL level clubs, not Luton, Watford or whatever else included in those stats.

Bailly has been given chances against quality teams, but it didn’t work out so well (Spurs and Leicester, 8 goals conceded).

It is weird to exclude the Spurs game from the stats when teams like Luton are included. If we had lost 1-4, would it be excluded? 1-3? 1-5? How bad must our defence perform, for a match to be excluded from the stats?

I would say the Spurs game doesn’t necessarily represent how he performs at the moment. He has been much better than that. Just like the first games with Lindelof/Maguire don’t represent how they perform now when they have 7 clean sheets in their last 11 PL matches (great stats imo). But the Spurs game indicates that he is capable of total meltdowns.
He wasn't great but he was not involved in more than 2 of the major errors that day and his were relatively benign ones such as ball watching. That loss was not a total Bailly meltdown.

But if I isolate what I believe to be the more useful gauge of a defensive record, total number of clean sheets rather than total goals against is still an area where he excels in comparison to our other defenders. This is because it doesn't matter how much you lose by, as a 1 nil defeat counts for the same loss of points as a 6 nil.

To illustrate, I'm sure you would rather have a defence that concedes 8 in one game and keeps 7 clean sheets, than one that concedes a goal every game for 8 games.

Same 8 goals but the first team will likely have more points.

A-man

He wasn't great but he was not involved in more than 2 of the major errors that day and his were relatively benign ones such as ball watching. That loss was not a total Bailly meltdown.
Him and Harry had two of the worst performances I’ve ever seen from a CB.

But if I isolate what I believe to be the more useful gauge of a defensive record, total number of clean sheets rather than total goals against is still an area where he excels in comparison to our other defenders. This is because it doesn't matter how much you lose by, as a 1 nil defeat counts for the same loss of points as a 6 nil.

To illustrate, I'm sure you would rather have a defence that concedes 8 in one game and keeps 7 clean sheets, than one that concedes a goal every game for 8 games.

Same 8 goals but the first team will likely have more points.
It’s a bit extreme example but even so, it depends. If you score goals every match it doesn’t matter if you concede 1. A top level team with good attack should be able win games even with one conceded goal imo. We have been racking up clean sheets lately, but the inability to score goals has cost us many points.

Bailly does not excel more than any other defender in this aspect. Just like Brandon Williams (clean sheets all matches this season) he had played many cup matches where we have been the superior team, and also not playing the bigger games in the PL.

If we look at data that we can compare with the other defenders, he has 3 clean sheets in 7 PL matches. It’s not bad, it’s even rather good, but it’s not better than for example Lindelof who has 9 clean sheets in 21 PL matches. I

Jericho

62 league games in 5 fecking years, definitely worthy of a new deal...
Yep. He has 100 appearances in all competitions combined. For comparison Martial was brought in at the same time and has 257.

wolvored

Reports saying he wont sign because he wasnt picked on Thursday. If he is that big a titty baby then let him go. Hes only a step up from Jones on the injury front anyway.

Northstand

Reports saying he wont sign because he wasnt picked on Thursday. If he is that big a titty baby then let him go. Hes only a step up from Jones on the injury front anyway.
Interesting turn of events, if true, as it had previously been reported (or maybe just assumed?), that he was injured yet again. He's a good defender when fit, but obviously his injury record is appalling. The club will certainly not want to lose him on a free or for a nominal fee, though, which was presumably the reason they were in talks about an extension. Anyone know how long he has remaining on his contract?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Report from The Sun, I wouldn't believe anything I read in any daily newspaper. The only thing I read, and believe, is Private Eye.
Similarly to the report that Maguire only wants an English CB partner, it's all bo***cks.

SwedishFish

Lindelöf took his spot against Milan deservedly. Don't believe that article one bit as he's not been the first choice for years now.

IF it's true then he can leave, hard to see him doing any better elsewhere tbh.

Northstand

Lindelöf took his spot against Milan deservedly. Don't believe that article one bit as he's not been the first choice for years now.

IF it's true then he can leave, hard to see him doing any better elsewhere tbh.
I think the reports are saying he's unhappy that he wasn't selected for the matchday squad, not the starting team. In that case, he's probably got a case, as his competition is an inferior (at least at the moment), and equally injury-prone, Tuanzebe.

wolvored

Interesting turn of events, if true, as it had previously been reported (or maybe just assumed?), that he was injured yet again. He's a good defender when fit, but obviously his injury record is appalling. The club will certainly not want to lose him on a free or for a nominal fee, though, which was presumably the reason they were in talks about an extension. Anyone know how long he has remaining on his contract?
Is it 2022?

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
No great loss if he goes.
He's shown that sometimes he can be a top defender and then he's injured again.
Why do another Phil Jones? Sell for a reasonable fee as I feel we'll be looking at defenders this year anyway.

A-man

A dressing room insider has told the Sun:
“he [Bailly] simply doesn’t feel wanted or respected by the manager. Eric doesn’t believe he gets any answers or explanation about the way he is treated and feels he is the easy option to leave out.
It’s a real shame because Eric always tells us he loves the club and feels the respect of the fans. But it’s got to the point this week where he has to think about his future.”

It feels more or less like a manuscript given to the Sun from Bailly’s agent tbh.

A-man

I personally don’t think Bailly has played better than out 2 starting CBs. Some people think he has been better and offering something we need. Anyway, it is not enough to be good enough. He must also show that he can stay fit for a longer period of time, otherwise no coach would want to build a CB partnership that includes him. He’s had 5 injuries in 5 months according to transfermarkt. And they tend to under report injuries. As long as he gets injured all the time he has to accept that other players play ahead of him.

stubie

I would not be too concerned if he left this summer. If he does we should cancel Jones contract as well and free up some space.

criticalanalysis

:lol: at the Lindelof fan boy coming in all guns blazing.

Him and Harry had two of the worst performances I’ve ever seen from a CB.
Hm Lindelof against Crystal Palace. At direct fault for all three goals conceded.

A dressing room insider has told the Sun:
“he [Bailly] simply doesn’t feel wanted or respected by the manager. Eric doesn’t believe he gets any answers or explanation about the way he is treated and feels he is the easy option to leave out.
It’s a real shame because Eric always tells us he loves the club and feels the respect of the fans. But it’s got to the point this week where he has to think about his future.”

It feels more or less like a manuscript given to the Sun from Bailly’s agent tbh.
Don't give The S*n any airtime on these boards.

This story is about believeable as Barca wanting Lindelof.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
He can't regularly keep Lindelof out.

If anyone can justify that statement by insisting Bailly should be signed up for ages I'd be amazed.

MattofManchester

Never been fit in all his time here. His good games are so few and far between with those injuries, it's not really worth it.

Granted, he'll probably get a massive increase as well, given our tendency to repeat that stupidity.

Renegade

If reports are true he has some nerve. Rarely available when we’ve needed him after spending 30m. To then kick up a fuss when he isn’t selected when the current CB finally build up some good form?

I hope it’s not true because DM is more a priority in my opinion and don’t twist the club to buy both.

The United

We gotta stay away from defenders who have bad injury record. He is one of them.

Let him go and get more reliable defenders.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Love the lion from the Ivory Coast, but my man can't stay injury free on his way to the bathroom in the morning.

A-man

:lol: at the Lindelof fan boy coming in all guns blazing.

Hm Lindelof against Crystal Palace. At direct fault for all three goals conceded.

Don't give The S*n any airtime on these boards.

This story is about believeable as Barca wanting Lindelof.
Must be a tough job to hate Lindelof nowadays when he’s racking up clean sheets?

Glorio

I can 100% appreciate Bailly feeling hard done by - not for one match day of course (that would be silly), but for the pattern this season where he's come in, played a blinder, and is straight back on the bench once Ole's favoured 2 are back fit. It's not even an argument, which is weird considering how vulnerable the first choice due looked at some stage against pacy sides and the fact that he's far more comfortable on the ball and playing out than both.

Sometimes I do feel some players are easy to leave on the bench as they don't kick up too much of a fuss.

doesn’t ring true to be honest.

however, if it is, then good do one. I’m in the ‘get rid of Bailly’ camp. Grant stay fit, can’t be relied upon. Lindelof at least is fit most of the time.

Al-T

Big pinch of salt as it's from The Sun but the club can't be held to ransom by a player as demonstrably injury prone as Bailley.

Our backups CB's are Jones, Bailley and Tuanzebe. None of them can be relied upon to be fit and available for selection if needed. That needs to be addressed.

CM

Thank God. He’s doing us a favour, because we’ll need to buy a CB now. Tuanzebe and Jones would possibly be the worst backup defensive pairing in the PL.

I like Bailly, but he gets injured way too often.

Buy one of Konate, Kounde, Konsa or White.
It wouldn't really be good news though, would it? You want to add quality from a position of strength, and letting Bailly go would still mean we require better depth even if we sign another defender. We know from previous summers we don't have an unlimited budget and signing a player of equivalent value to Bailly won't come cheap, even if he is injury prone.

I would also suggest neither of Konsa or White are as good. If we are to let anyone go Tuanzebe is the obvious one to cash in on.

criticalanalysis

Must be a tough job to hate Lindelof nowadays when he’s racking up clean sheets?
I am a Utd fan. I have no problem with Lindelof performing well. I wish he would continue to do so.

I just don't buy your narrative that he's some irreplaceable and underappreciated genius. The Milan game was a good performance but let's not pretend that it was his standard output. For every Milan, there's a West Brom and inbetween there's plenty middle of the road games. My issue is that he should be doing more because all of his 'done well, didn't make a mistake' games are elevated massively by yourselves like he's a proactice monster and was involved in everything.

He's protected by two defensive monster full backs, an aerially dominant centre back, who takes charge of the ball most of the time and has two defensive midfielders in front of him. If he has more Milan games, I'd happily sing his praises and even if doesn't, I still see he has his usages. I'm not hater. I just call it as I see it.

The 1st half at Milan was similar to the 1st half at Old Trafford where we were cut open by bad team play and defensively all over the place. Bailly performed well despite the circumstances yet you said he and Maguire especially deserved criticism for the defensive organisation, which was a ridiculous new standard. Why didn't you criticise Lindelof for this? Like I said it in that thread, I will call out your double standards and hypocrisy.

At the end of the day Bailly may not be the answer but it's clear he's Lindelof's immediate competition. It's incredible you will at every turn belittle his qualities and try to reinforce that he's performing worse than he has. I may be bias for or against either player but I certainly don't have a fanboy agenda. Your volume of posts on both players speaks louder than anything.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I can 100% appreciate Bailly feeling hard done by - not for one match day of course (that would be silly), but for the pattern this season where he's come in, played a blinder, and is straight back on the bench once Ole's favoured 2 are back fit. It's not even an argument, which is weird considering how vulnerable the first choice due looked at some stage against pacy sides and the fact that he's far more comfortable on the ball and playing out than both.

Sometimes I do feel some players are easy to leave on the bench as they don't kick up too much of a fuss.
Bailly has 100 games for us. Maguire who arrived several years later will play his 99th tomorrow. That’s damning. Bailly has only himself to blame for his issues. When you get your chance you simply have to take it. That doesn’t only mean playing well but also making sure you manage to stay fit for a significant amount of time.

A never-injured Bailly would be ahead of Lindelof in the pecking order. But this current version of Bailly isn’t that much better than Lindelof to warrant disrupting the defence for a few games before the inevitable injury.

A-man

I am a Utd fan. I have no problem with Lindelof performing well. I wish he would continue to do so.

I just don't buy your narrative that he's some irreplaceable and underappreciated genius. The Milan game was a good performance but let's not pretend that it was his standard output. For every Milan, there's a West Brom and inbetween there's plenty middle of the road games. My issue is that he should be doing more because all of his 'done well, didn't make a mistake' games are elevated massively by yourselves like he's a proactice monster and was involved in everything.

He's protected by two defensive monster full backs, an aerially dominant centre back, who takes charge of the ball most of the time and has two defensive midfielders in front of him. If he has more Milan games, I'd happily sing his praises and even if doesn't, I still see he has his usages. I'm not hater. I just call it as I see it.

The 1st half at Milan was similar to the 1st half at Old Trafford where we were cut open by bad team play and defensively all over the place. Bailly performed well despite the circumstances yet you said he and Maguire especially deserved criticism for the defensive organisation, which was a ridiculous new standard. Why didn't you criticise Lindelof for this? Like I said it in that thread, I will call out your double standards and hypocrisy.

At the end of the day Bailly may not be the answer but it's clear he's Lindelof's immediate competition. It's incredible you will at every turn belittle his qualities and try to reinforce that he's performing worse than he has. I may be bias for or against either player but I certainly don't have a fanboy agenda. Your volume of posts on both players speaks louder than anything.
You are not a hater.
Dolly Parton doesn’t sleep on her back.
What else?

RashyForPM

It wouldn't really be good news though, would it? You want to add quality from a position of strength, and letting Bailly go would still mean we require better depth even if we sign another defender. We know from previous summers we don't have an unlimited budget and signing a player of equivalent value to Bailly won't come cheap, even if he is injury prone.

I would also suggest neither of Konsa or White are as good. If we are to let anyone go Tuanzebe is the obvious one to cash in on.
We get to free up 80k per week in wages, while upgrading on him, so we will still have 5 senior centre backs, which is enough depth I think. Not really any point of having 6 or 7 CBs, especially when we have good young ones like Mengi coming through.

Also, small sample size, but let’s be honest, we’ve all watched Konsa and White loads this season, and their level has been higher than Bailly’s has ever been. They’re 3 years younger than Bailly too. Of course though, Konate and Kounde should be first choice.

Polar

Bailly’s potential is undisputed and I really like what I saw during his run (dec-feb).

At the same time I think it’s the right time to sell. We will spare ourselves and especially Ole a lot of headaches. We first of all need stability and players who are able to perform consistently