Man United begin contract talks with Eric Bailly

Judas

Open to offers
When City have a player that doesn't work out for them very well, tend to bin them quickly, its ruthless, and here we have people celebrating Mr 15 games a season and saying he's an important part of the squad, and using his personality in the changing room as a reason for a new deal :lol: god bless the Caf.

Djemba-Djemba

When City have a player that doesn't work out for them very well, tend to bin them quickly, its ruthless, and here we have people celebrating Mr 15 games a season and saying he's an important part of the squad, and using his personality in the changing room as a reason for a new deal :lol: god bless the Caf.
And then they wonder why we never challenge for the big trophies anymore.

Think of the money we've wasted giving the likes of Jones Rojo and Bailly new contracts. it's infuriating.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Right. Except that’s wrong isn’t it? He’s played whilst Lindelof has been injured numerous times this year. So he has been important. He’s also been very good in most of those games. It is very likely Axel is leaving this summer. He will be replaced by a first choice CB. This will make Bailly 4th choice. We don’t need a world class 4th choice Cb. When fit he’s usually very dependable. He gets on with the squad and is good for the dressing room. Keeping him provided he’s happy to be 4th choice is a no brainier. This entire forum is a moan fest. Two weeks ago we had people moaning Bailly wasn’t first choice now we have people moaning he isn’t being released on a free. Moan. That’s all you feckers do.
You seem to have forgotten the other crock CB we gave a long term contract to ie Jones. I don't blame you. Injury prone CB who are quite frankly not good enough are easily forgotten. The same will happen to Bailly. Unfortunately he'll still be on our payroll and Ole will probably have to work with what he's got because 'he's already have enough bodies' as CBs

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He does a lot of fine work for charadee

devilish

You're writing him off before he's even had a transfer window. Never change. :lol:
If I am wrong on this one then I'd be thrilled. But this guy got promoted despite being part of this disastrous 8 years. Now we're toeing in line to the same moronic strategy that see us tying injury prone players on long term contracts. That doesn't inspire me with confidence.

el3mel

Right. Except that’s wrong isn’t it? He’s played whilst Lindelof has been injured numerous times this year. So he has been important. He’s also been very good in most of those games. It is very likely Axel is leaving this summer. He will be replaced by a first choice CB. This will make Bailly 4th choice. We don’t need a world class 4th choice Cb. When fit he’s usually very dependable. He gets on with the squad and is good for the dressing room. Keeping him provided he’s happy to be 4th choice is a no brainier. This entire forum is a moan fest. Two weeks ago we had people moaning Bailly wasn’t first choice now we have people moaning he isn’t being released on a free. Moan. That’s all you feckers do.
The guy has only started 7 matches in the league this season (one of them was the 6-1 by the way). "Numerous times" is really a stretch.

If we're keeping an injury prone player for 4 more years to play 7-8 matches a season then we're doomed alright. Prevents us from actually getting a damn reliable bench option or give more opportunities for less injury prone academy players all while playing salary for him for such ridiculously low number of games.

You and some others are just afraid of losing any player in the squad even the useless ones.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
You're writing him off before he's even had a transfer window. Never change. :lol:
Jesus, how many lifetimes do you think we all have?

I imagine you'd let someone who's lied to you 9 times , lie to you another 10 times because 'they haven't been given a chance'.

It's bad enough when this kind of dumb attitude is pervasive in society but when it relates to United, I just despair.

devilish

The guy has only started 7 matches in the league this season (one of them was the 6-1 by the way). "Numerous times" is really a stretch.

If we're keeping an injury prone player for 4 more years to play 7-8 matches a season then we're doomed alright. Prevents us from actually getting a damn reliable bench option or give more opportunities for less injury prone academy players all while playing salary for him for such ridiculously low number of games.

You and some others are just afraid of losing any player in the squad even the useless ones.
Some people seem to be physically uncapable of criticising the club. I had people questioning my loyalty simply because of my nationality simply because I criticised Woodward.

sdb4884

Another questionable contract extension, honestly how much has Bailly played in the last 3 seasons. This better not effect our chances of getting a new centre back in the window.

Matthew84!

I'm all up for giving him a new contract, when or if we buy a new CB it means we'll get more for him, I can see him being 4th choice if we buy a new one in the summer,

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
This is a 2.5 year extension isnt it?

Maybe we are selling him but not just yet.

Usually you have a backup who is always fit but isn't quite as good as the starting players. We should have one of those, if not two. Bailly is a bit different in that he is every bit as good as the starting players, when fit. I'm happy to keep him around at a low enough cost because he gives us a rotation option we would not have otherwise.
You really think he's as good as Maguire? I agree he's on shared 2d, but I really don't think he's more competent than Maguire.
I don't actually think he's THAT perfect when he's fit, we've really never seen him with a proper long run of games, probably never will, he's more than capable of brain farts, daft decisions and being a total mad man. You would think he's Paolo Maldini with the way he's spoken about. He is in theory one of our best defenders, but the bar is low.
Agree.

TheReligion

Abusive
We all know this isn't ideal but for those repeat complainers do you really think we are going to have the money to buy players all over the pitch in the summer?

Ole has done pretty well at clearing dead wood when you consider what he inherited. In the current climate, covid and ESL failure, it wouldn't be clever to let his contract run out without a clear replacement in the squad lined up.

Okey

As much as I like Bailly, this is such a depressing move from United. Hopefully not a sign of things to come. We're not going any higher by keeping players who can't stay fit enough to help the cause.

Polar

Makes sense if we are going for a Sancho and maybe a striker.
Agree.. Make sense if the CB position is neither first nor second priority.

I agree we need a new CB, but at the moment we are in more need for a Striker, RW and probably also a CM/CDM.

devilish

We all know this isn't ideal but for those repeat complainers do you really think we are going to have the money to buy players all over the pitch in the summer?

Ole has done pretty well at clearing dead wood when you consider what he inherited. In the current climate, covid and ESL failure, it wouldn't be clever to let his contract run out without a clear replacement in the squad lined up.
Then we should have given a shorter contract. Alternatively this ultra modern and reformed scouting net of ours led by the brilliant Jon Murtough could find a good CB on the cheap. Both options are perfectly viable. What's the point of tying an injury prone CB?

TheReligion

Abusive
Then we should have given a shorter contract. Alternatively this ultra modern and reformed scouting net led by the brilliant Jon Murtough could find a good CB on the cheap. Both options are perfectly viable.
Retaining someone is cheaper than scouting a replacement, purchasing from a club and paying out fees to the player. If there's no one in that bracket at the moment it makes sense even if as fans we don't like it.

This one makes more sense than Phil Jones.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

He’s allowed Lindelof to rest in games when he has his back issue and has done so well people have wanted him starting. He’ll be even further down the pecking order next year - stop using Phil Jones as an example - if we needed a 4th choice CB and Bailly played at another club and was free this summer it would be seen as a sensible signing. That’s the context. If we don’t sign a CB and this is what we’re going with then by all means moan. Nothing suggests that’s the case here though.

SamVimes

According to the official Premier League website his playing statistics are as follows,

Total 62 appearances since joining in 2016

2016/2017 25 appearances
2017/2018 13 appearances
2018/2019 12 appearances
2019/2020 4 appearances
2020/2021 8 appearances

This is not a player that can be relied upon. He should either be sold on, or let go.

UTD_Since_1978

I'm probably repeating others in this thread but I'll chip in anyway.

Always nice to have 2 CBs who are constantly injured...not!

We've got to be looking at improving our squad for next season not giving new contracts to players who hardly ever play.

I can just see it now, late August 2021 transfer window about to shut no new CB signing in sight & Ole's asked if he needs another CB or two & Ole says, "No, I'm happy with what I've got, Lindy & Maguire are incredible world class best ever CBs & Jonesy & Bailly are quality back ups that any club would love to have, I don't need any new CBs" (Said with an enormous idiotic grin on his face like he always does)

devilish

Retaining someone is cheaper than scouting a replacement, purchasing from a club and paying out fees to the player. If there's no one in that bracket at the moment it makes sense even if as fans we don't like it.

This one makes more sense than Phil Jones.
Does it make sense to tie a player who gives you 8-13 games a year on a long term contract though? All our backup CBs are injury prone (Tuanzebe, Bailly and Jones). United keep on talking about their reformed and modern scouting net with all those data analysts and the experienced Murtough at the helm. Surely he could have fount a decent CB on the cheap who'll have some resale value if something better comes along.

TheReligion

Abusive
Does it make sense to tie a player who gives you 8-13 games a year on a long term contract though? All our backup CBs are injury prone (Tuanzebe, Bailly and Jones). United keep on talking about their reformed and modern scouts with all those data analysts and the experienced Murtough at the helm. Surely he could have fount a decent CB on the cheap who'll have some resale value if something better comes along.
It's a 2.5 year contract isn't it? Unless I've read it wrong. Not long term really if so.

devilish

It's a 2.5 year contract isn't it? Unless I've read it wrong. Not long term really if so.
It's a 3+1 contract which is quite long for a 27 year old CB whose giving us less a ridiculously low first team appearances year after year.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's been in the squad for 27 games this season... and would have been 32 games without Covid (which I don't really think you can count as an injury). Which isn't bad.

Basically just means we're not buying a Centre Back this summer, at which point he'll be our 3rd choice. Also means we can sell him next summer if that's when we decide to invest in a CB

devilish

He's been in the squad for 27 games this season... and would have been 32 games without Covid (which I don't really think you can count as an injury). Which isn't bad.

Basically just means we're not buying a Centre Back this summer, at which point he'll be our 3rd choice. Also means we can sell him next summer if that's when we decide to invest in a CB
who'll buy him?

el3mel

He’s allowed Lindelof to rest in games when he has his back issue and has done so well people have wanted him starting. He’ll be even further down the pecking order next year - stop using Phil Jones as an example - if we needed a 4th choice CB and Bailly played at another club and was free this summer it would be seen as a sensible signing. That’s the context. If we don’t sign a CB and this is what we’re going with then by all means moan. Nothing suggests that’s the case here though.
Are you literally saying we're giving 4 years contract to a 4th option CB who will barely even feature and this is fine ? "Calm down he'll barely even play next season and will be 4th option so it's fine giving him a new long term contract" Are you serious ?

You know we can just put an academy player who will be less injury prone and have actually better chances at development in the future than a 27 years old as this 4th option CB you're so concerned with while having Maguire, Lindelof and the other CB you think we're going to buy this season (spoilers : we won't sign anyone) and it'll be a more dependable set than the guy who played 7 games this season and now getting a 3 years contract ?

We could have just given him a 1+1 contract by the way ?

TheReligion

Abusive
It's a 3+1 contract which is quite long for a 27 year old CB whose giving us less a ridiculously low first team appearances year after year.
I think it all depends if we felt we could bring someone in of the same quality. Despite him being MIA he's played well this season with many saying he should replace Lindelof in the first XI.

If the club think this way then surely the new deal makes sense rather than letting him go for free?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
really? Why would they actually spend money on him? The guy is injury prone and would demand the same salary he's got with Manchester United.
More seriously an Italian or Spanish club would probably spend £5-10m on him (if his injury record continues to be OK next season as it has been this season)

devilish

I think it all depends if we felt we could bring someone in of the same quality. Despite him being MIA he's played well this season with many saying he should replace Lindelof in the first XI.

If the club think this way then surely the new deal makes sense rather than letting him go for free?
He only played 15 matches this season, just 8 in the EPL. The guy has got an injury history as long as an arm. With all this talk about our new and modern scouting net and a new DOF, we would actually learn not to tie injury prone players on a long term contract and actually bring players that are useful for us. It seem we haven't learnt anything from Sanchez and Jones's mess.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
The club faces possible reprecussions from the Glazer family coup attempt, such as a transfer ban.

The medical staff at Manchester United will have given their input, and the staff obviously feels he's a valuable squad addition AND he's hugely popular in the dressing room. Eric has been in the matchday squad almost 30 times this season.

There are many factors at play here, but none of them are "the club is dumb". Phil Jones is a contract that ranks up there in terms of bad, but Bailly is not in that discussion.

Bailly signing does not mean we don't want a CB this summer, it means that we're not weakening an already thin position.