Man United top European table for overpaying on transfers, blowing £209m since 2012

Skills

Snitch
Still, they spent over 400M just on Dembelé, Coutinho and Griezmann, there must be some overpaying in there, right?
But some of those players aren't on their books anymore. Coutinho definitely isn't because he's been sold to Aston Villa. If they're only looking at the currently registered squads - Griezman also wouldn't count.

Now if they did this last year, they would've topped this I reckon. Coutinho was about 60m overpriced. I don't know about Griezman though - I don't know how far the fee they paid for him was away from his market value at the time.

Skills

Snitch
I think you swapped the digits there.
That's what I believe we overpaid for him by. I think transfermarkt had him valued at around £30-35m market value at the time we bought him.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
The low value for City is questionable. I know that according to transfermarkt, they systematically overpay for players, pretty much for every single one. They'd get a much higher value than 23m there.

You don't need transfermarkt to figure it out either, it's kind of obvious.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
But some of those players aren't on their books anymore. Coutinho definitely isn't because he's been sold to Aston Villa. If they're only looking at the currently registered squads - Griezman also wouldn't count.
It says right there in the chart, how many transfers they've assessed. It is higher than 25 for all teams so it is not simply the current squads.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Still, they spent over 400M just on Dembelé, Coutinho and Griezmann, there must be some overpaying in there, right?
Barca have underspent on 47m euro on an investment of 1465m euro in last 10 years but have only signed 8 players for over 50m euro in that time, so maybe loads of their 20-30m buys are now worth 50-60m or more, I dunno, you could say Naymar was a plus 120m investment as they sold him for £200m and made another £40m euro on Melo, i've not looked into it too far but those 2 came to mind.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
The low value for City is questionable. I know that according to transfermarkt, they systematically overpay for players, pretty much for every single one. They'd get a much higher value than 23m there.

You don't need transfermarkt to figure it out either, it's kind of obvious.
with the exception from Grealish who have we overpaid for in the last 5 seasons, I don't think we've massively overpaid for anyone, maybe Ake but I don't think we'll lose money if we sold him tomorrow, Mahrez at the time possibly

ajb1702

United have always been taxed in the transfer market. This is a random story based on some algorithm for valuations, might as well be playing Football Manager. United have paid the money needed to get players they believed were needed. End of.

Oranges038

Criteria seems a bit off, the club paid just about 200m for PP during his stint.

So when you look at it way, 209m really doesn't seem all that bad.

Ekeke

Wouldnt surprise me at all. I bet transfermarket's player values would also reflect us being on top

Ekeke

United have always been taxed in the transfer market. This is a random story based on some algorithm for valuations, might as well be playing Football Manager. United have paid the money needed to get players they believed were needed. End of.
If they were right it wouldnt be considered overpaying. The point is they havent been worth the money, which is the case with the vast majority of our signings the past 10 years

abundance

Supports
Inter
How are Juventus so high up the list when they make so many free signings.
Ten years is a long time.

And off the top of my head:
Ronaldo, Vlahovic, Higuain, De Ligt, Arthur, Chiesa, Bremer, Kulusevski, Locatelli, Bernardeschi... That's already around 650m

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
with the exception from Grealish who have we overpaid for in the last 5 seasons, I don't think we've massively overpaid for anyone, maybe Ake but I don't think we'll lose money if we sold him tomorrow, Mahrez at the time possibly
Not massively, but I looked at transfermarkt valuation at time of purchase vs. money spent and you tend to overpay something like 10m per player.

Not a bad way to use your excess money, tbh. If you have a target you're sure of, overpay a bit to acquire it.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
leading the way on inflating the market.
I think that PSG's Neymar transfer and Barca's buys for Dembele, Griezmann and Coutinho had more effect on inflating the market than Maguire, Pogba or Fred

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Ah yes. A highly subjective "study".
Reminds me of programmers when they get rid of the "unlikely to happen" cases so their codes will pass the unit test.

Look! United bad. United real bad. Woooohh nobody has ever thought of this before, what a magnificent study.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
I don't like to read too much into stuffs like this, the press always find some sort of negatives to beat us with.

OmarUnited4ever

Barca in the negative side, as in the what they spent is less than what team is valued at !!

I mean they bought Griezmann and Coutinho for more than 200M, that is basically 150M loss there at least, and yet the value of their team is above what they invested!!

I get Pedri, Gavi and Fati could be valued in the 50M+ or more, but Lewa, Auba,

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Ah yes. A highly subjective "study".
It's an actual model published in a peer-reviewed journal.

Poli, Besson, Ravenel, " Econometric Approach to Assessing the Transfer Fees and Values of Professional Football Players " Economies 2022

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
While I don't doubt we are up there and I wouldn't even argue against no1 spot I think it doesn't take into account lots of other variables such as agent fee's, money paid to families, extraordinary clauses etc

Zen86

Who determines what an overpayment is? No matter how science-y you try to spin it, this is incredibly subjective and influenced by a hell of a lot of factors.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I think that PSG's Neymar transfer and Barca's buys for Dembele, Griezmann and Coutinho had more effect on inflating the market than Maguire, Pogba or Fred
I think us blowing so much money on average players inflated the market more than actual top players that had multiple top teams after them.

van dirk would probably cost more if Southampton saw how much Maguire went for.