Man United want Alexis Sanchez back from Inter loan - says random report in January

w1thout

Um i think thats rewriting history a bit, he had 4-5 games where he was decent and people over hyped him because he was still in the new signing honeymoon period. Then his form fell off a cliff and there it stayed for the vast majority of his 4 years at the club.
Ironically, he went to sh*t after Sanchez absolutely destroyed him when we played Arsenal back in 2015.

lex talionis

During the 18 months that they were both at the club, Lingard quite comfortably outperformed Sanchez. Of course, Lingard reached a whole new level of shit this season so it would depend on whether he could turn that around (and on whether Sanchez improves or gets worse himself).
I get your point but you're referring to Peak Lingard, a phenomenon which lasted more like 12 months. In any event, Peak Lingard is nowhere near the same galaxy as Peak Sanchez.

What I'm wondering is whether the Lingard as we know him today is or is not a better option than Sanchez as we know him today. Close call no doubt but Lingard has fallen so badly that at least I'd go with the Sanchez of today over the Lingard of today.

But your point is well taken that for a brief spell Lingard was a decent squad man. Whether he can return to anything close that his peak form is the same question that can be asked of Sanchez.

I get your point but you're referring to Peak Lingard, a phenomenon which lasted more like 12 months. In any event, Peak Lingard is nowhere near the same galaxy as Peak Sanchez.

What I'm wondering is whether the Lingard as we know him today is or is not a better option than Sanchez as we know him today. Close call no doubt but Lingard has fallen so badly that at least I'd go with the Sanchez of today over the Lingard of today.

But your point is well taken that for a brief spell Lingard was a decent squad man. Whether he can return to anything close that his peak form is the same question that can be asked of Sanchez.
Lingard has a much better chance of being useful than Sanchez.

good chance both will be sold (given away in respect of Sanchez) in the summer.

lex talionis

I'm not so sure about former, but I hope you're right about the latter. In their own special ways, both disgrace the shirt.

Nikelesh Reddy

I voted this in another thread. It seems an insurmountable task to remove him from our wage budget so he will remain the worst value for wages player currently active.
In many ways he will be like an albatross around Ed Woodward’s neck.The Sanchez signing really personifies everything that went wrong at the club since 2013....Atleast our last 4 signings have been good so hopefully we”ve finally turned a corner....

Nikelesh Reddy

Honourable mention for Darmian too in that debate.
He was a poor signing but I think we signed him for around 15 million pounds,so it wasn’t really a costly mistake for the club.Come to think of it we were horrendous in the transfer window under LVG.Schweinsteiger,Scheiderlin,Darmian,Rojo,Falcao...These were all bad,bad signings.I”m not including Di Maria in this list because he seemed like an incredible signing at the time,just a pity that he couldn’t settle down at the club.

stevoc

He was a poor signing but I think we signed him for around 15 million pounds,so it wasn’t really a costly mistake for the club.Come to think of it we were horrendous in the transfer window under LVG.Schweinsteiger,Scheiderlin,Darmian,Rojo,Falcao...These were all bad,bad signings.I”m not including Di Maria in this list because he seemed like an incredible signing at the time,just a pity that he couldn’t settle down at the club.
From a financial point of view he wasn't a big hit to the clubs finances though arguably it was a bigger hit when you factor in allowing a better and younger player in Rafael to leave for only a few million.

But i was speaking solely from a footballing point of view, and from that perspective Darmian is right down there with the worst players we've signed in my 30 years following United.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Lingard was a decent squad player right up until this season. Of course he spent a lot of that time as first choice but it wasn't his fault that we didn't have anyone better. As long as you thought of him as what he should have been (a squad player) he was fine.

Obviously peak Sanchez was better by a huge margin, but it's highly unlikely that Sanchez will get back to anywhere close to that. His problems seem to be physical and an inability to adjust to not being able to do what he used to be able to do. Lingard should, in theory at least, be able to get back to where he was as his problems are more a lack of confidence and perhaps struggling with the situation with his family.

I do think both should be sold though. Sanchez for obvious reasons, and Pereira can take Lingard's squad player role. He hasn't been as good as what Lingard has in the past, but he's younger and been significantly better this season (not counting the times he was played in central midfield where he was equally shit). Of course if the Grealish rumours are true and we also sign a right winger we can probably sell Pereira as well.

steve88

Hope we can find a team to buy him hopefuly inter I would take another loan option having to pay half of his wages at least thats like another 200,000 towards another player or few

cyril C

Look, don't know how the debate get started in the 1st place between these 2. Lingard, no matter how unfit he currently is, is till YOUNG, healthy, and very good chance of getting fit. Provided MU doesn't demand too much, provided Lingard doesn't ask for too much (80-90k still affordable), he is always wanted by many clubs.

Sanchez will only be wanted if MU subsidies 75% of his wage, period.

James Ward

Hope we can find a team to take him for free hopefuly inter I would take another loan option having to pay half of his wages at least thats like another 200,000 towards another player or few
Fixed your Post.

Any chance Becks does us a favour and takes him to Miami?
Very little chance, MLS teams don't pay anywhere near the wages we're paying Alexis right now despite popular belief. They only have on designated player slot (ie high transfer fee or salary player) left, which they've said will be used for a striker so I doubt they'll take him as much as I'd like it.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Very little chance, MLS teams don't pay anywhere near the wages we're paying Alexis right now despite popular belief. They only have on designated player slot (ie high transfer fee or salary player) left, which they've said will be used for a striker so I doubt they'll take him as much as I'd like it.
To they have a designated player yet,?

To they have a designated player yet,?
They have two signed, there are three slots per team. They used one on a young winger from South America and another on Rodolfo Pizarro, a mercurial Mexican attacking midfielder. They haven't signed any aging huge names yet even though everyone thought they would so maybe Beckham could feel some pressure to go out and sign a Cavani or Alexis. Past few seasons in MLS have shown that buying young talents from South America is a more successful strategy, but I'm just praying someone takes Alexis off our hands. Makes me mad every time I see his name.

They have two signed, there are three slots per team. They used one on a young winger from South America and another on Rodolfo Pizarro, a mercurial Mexican attacking midfielder. They haven't signed any aging huge names yet even though everyone thought they would so maybe Beckham could feel some pressure to go out and sign a Cavani or Alexis. Past few seasons in MLS have shown that buying young talents from South America is a more successful strategy, but I'm just praying someone takes Alexis off our hands. Makes me mad every time I see his name.
don't see anyone in the MLS taking him?
What was Zlatan paid when he was there recently? Clearly he’s 10x the player but has a similar profile.

perhaps we could get a Chinese club to take him, as they would not have a problem with wages and we know we are not getting a fee for him.

don't see anyone in the MLS taking him?
What was Zlatan paid when he was there recently? Clearly he’s 10x the player but has a similar profile.

perhaps we could get a Chinese club to take him, as they would not have a problem with wages and we know we are not getting a fee for him.
Zlatan was paid $7.2 mil and was the highest paid player in the league. Alexis is currently on around $26mil per year :nervous:

As someone who follows MLS I just don't see it. The teams that sign aging players from Europe have all their designated player slots filled other than Miami, who have talked a lot of talk about signing stars but have yet to really do it. Plus either Alexis would have to take a huge salary cut or he'd be on unprecedented wages in the league.

China have also had those new wage limits put in place in the league, right? I'm not sure how they work but it's not looking great for offloading Alexis. Might just have to loan him/use him until his contract runs out in two seasons.

Web of Bissaka

Put him on the reserve bench,
then hopefully his agent will finally be motivated enough to do the work finding him a new club. This will also push him enough to "want" to leave the club.

If he make disciplinary problems, then we are justified to fined him and get back some of the undeserved wages.

Embarrassing? he already is.

Doubt Ole will do this -- he's not ruthless.

TheLord

I hope no one makes a thread in the Cafe asking which player has been the worst signing in the history of the Premier League. The thread will be immediately closed for asking the most obvious.

His signing is a disaster of epic proportions and in terms of pure economics, it is worse than : Andy Carroll + Danny Drinkwater + Fred + Mario Balotelli + Juan Sebastian Veron + Andriy Shevchenko + Lazar Markovic all combined.

arthurka

I hope no one makes a thread in the Cafe asking which player has been the worst signing in the history of the Premier League. The thread will be immediately closed for asking the most obvious.

His signing is a disaster of epic proportions and in terms of pure economics, it is worse than : Andy Carroll + Danny Drinkwater + Fred + Mario Balotelli + Juan Sebastian Veron + Andriy Shevchenko + Lazar Markovic all combined.
His wages are higher that their combined too.

reddevil80

I would love to think that someone within the legal team of United could possibly sit down and have a look to put into the contract something along the lines of absolute minimums expected or contract could be put into jeopardy. Things like a minimum amount of goals scored or created, game time, his appearance bonus should only become valid providing he is involved with goals that assist in a victory. Failure to achieve targets like this mean loss of bonus. Just a thought. Hopefully though, he will have a conscience and opt to help the club and stop being one of, if not the greediest player around.

On the other side of this debacle, how would we feel if he does come back and actually prove us doubters wrong? ( really cannot see it myself ). What would it take for him to try and change your opinions on him? Does anyone else think this issue has now gone too far and he can't bring back the optimism we had once over for him? I'll be honest, I hate what has happened, whoever wrote the initial contract should be shot with his own doo doo, however, if he can recreate the form which saw us offer such ridiculous wages and bonuses, could you forget the past and let him see out his final two years?

TheLord

On the other side of this debacle, how would we feel if he does come back and actually prove us doubters wrong? ( really cannot see it myself ). What would it take for him to try and change your opinions on him?
Optimism, eh!
Do you know how many Serie A goals the wonderful striker has scored amid his histrionics and ankle injury during his one-year loan spell at Inter?
A whopping ONE goal.

And that was a tap-in from a few yards.

I don’t remember the exact figure, but I read sometime back that he is the most expensive player in the Serie A this season when calculated as wages per minute of football played - something in the range of £20,000 - 25,000 per minute.

He is clearly the most disastrous signing in the history of the Premier League and the worst loan deal in the history of Inter Milan. And he will not get any better.

Last edited:

Red00012

I’d take Veron out and put in Torres.

The Purley King

I think we could offer him £15-20m to do one?
Then he could probably get £100-150k pw from someone else and maybe a signing on bonus too.
Has been an utterly disastrous signing, easily the worst in our history. He is earning the highest salary ever in the Premier League and is currently one of its worst players.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I think we could offer him £15-20m to do one?
Then he could probably get £100-150k pw from someone else and maybe a signing on bonus too.
Has been an utterly disastrous signing, easily the worst in our history. He is earning the highest salary ever in the Premier League and is currently one of its worst players.
His salary is reportedly around £18 million per year and he has two years left. There's no way we're getting rid of him for $15-20 million. And I wouldn't begrudge anyone in the same situation holding firm for what both parties agreed to.

The Purley King

His salary is reportedly around £18 million per year and he has two years left. There's no way we're getting rid of him for $15-20 million. And I wouldn't begrudge anyone in the same situation holding firm for what both parties agreed to.
I think if Ole told him he wasn't going to play, so his only option would be two years on loan (if we can even find anyone prepared to take him), he might be open to getting a full year's salary up front and then go and make his own arrangements.
I wouldn't blame Sanchez at all if he turned it down and did a Bogarde, but he might realise that his career will be over in 3-4 years time if not sooner and he may not want to waste two years for the sake of £7-10m. Can't imagine many clubs queuing up to take him on loan after the last couple of years 'performances', so he might be forced just to train and not play. Not much fun.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I think if Ole told him he wasn't going to play, so his only option would be two years on loan (if we can even find anyone prepared to take him), he might be open to getting a full year's salary up front and then go and make his own arrangements.
I wouldn't blame Sanchez at all if he turned it down and did a Bogarde, but he might realise that his career will be over in 3-4 years time if not sooner and he may not want to waste two years for the sake of £7-10m. Can't imagine many clubs queuing up to take him on loan after the last couple of years 'performances', so he might be forced just to train and not play. Not much fun.
That's a big if. And it's not for the sake of £7-10m, it's at least £16m, possibly more with one of them loyalty bonuses footballers seem to have. The sceanrio you describe above would only happen if some club wanted to give him a £20-25m signing bonus, which is pretty unlikely based on his last tow years performances. I think we're stuck with him. Hopefully Ed has managed to learn from this experience.

Nickelodeon

Am I the only one who feels that keeping him is better than dumping him while still losing money on him? Surely he can’t do worse than Lingard. At worst, he’ll still be a liability who wouldn’t see much game time but then there is always the minute chance that he might have a some role as an impact sub or some league cup match.

TheReligion

Abusive

Keita should be in your list

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He should donate at least 90% of his wage for a few months. I'd do it if I were him, to make myself feel better instead of being an absolute waste of money without any use to my employer.