Man utd 22/23 vs Ajax 18/19

Trex

18/19 was the season Ajax knocked out the likes of Juventus, and then defending champions Real Madrid out of the champions league as well as doing the local double. This is known as the most talented group ETH worked with as well as the Ajax best performing season in recent years.
Ability wise how do they compare to United current side even without further additions.

Ajax: Onana, Mazraoui, De Ligt, Blind, Tagliafico, De jong, Schone, Van de Beek, Ziyech, Tadic, Neres.

Manchester united: De Gea, Dalot, Maguire, Martinez, Shaw, Fred, Eriksen, Bruno, Sancho, Martial, Rashford.

Bwuk

De Gea
Mazraoui - De Ligt - Martinez - Shaw
de Jong
Eriksen - Bruno
Ziyech - Tadic - Sancho​

Would imagine it'd be something like that if going off their Ajax best?

Trex

De Gea
de Jong
Eriksen - Bruno
Ziyech - Tadic - Sancho​

You think Tadic and Ziyech are better footballers than Martial and Rashford?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I doubt we get anywhere close to achieving what they did, top 4 should be fine as it is.
De Gea
de Jong
Eriksen - Bruno
Ziyech - Tadic - Sancho​

That would be a rather decent team, I still swap david as well due to his obvious problems.
I'm looking at it from an outside ETH influence point of view, say if he had all 22 players to work with who would be his pick?
Well I guess we'd just wait and see what happens this season.

Blood Mage

They are yes but they're not really comparable players anyway. Tadic and Ziyech are playmakers while Rashford and Martial are forwards.

Trex

I doubt we get anywhere close to achieving what they did, top 4 should be fine as it is.

That would be a rather decent team, I still swap david as well due to his obvious problems.

Well I guess we'd just wait and see what happens this season.
We are not in the UCL and we wouldn't be winning the league. Its about looking at the weighing the ability of individuals in both sides.

Trex

They are yes but they're not really comparable players anyway. Tadic and Ziyech are playmakers while Rashford and Martial are forwards.
Outside ETH influence I'll say no Tadic and Ziyech in the EPL don't come close Martial and Rashford.
Its fair to look at it from that point of view because we can't access Martial and Rashford level under ETH just yet.

Blood Mage

18/19 was the season Ajax knocked out the likes of Juventus, and then defending champions Real Madrid out of the champions league as well as doing the local double. This is known as the most talented group ETH worked with as well as the Ajax best performing season in recent years.
Ability wise how do they compare to United current side even without further additions.

Ajax: Onana, Mazraoui, De Ligt, Blind, Tagliafico, De jong, Schone, Van de Beek, Ziyech, Tadic, Neres.

Manchester united: De Gea, Dalot, Maguire, Martinez, Shaw, Fred, Eriksen, Bruno, Sancho, Martial, Rashford.
IMO we're one midfielder, one right-back and one forward away from being as good as that Ajax team, so that's encouraging. I still think they overachieved that season though.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
De Gea
de Jong
Eriksen - Bruno
Ziyech - Tadic - Sancho​

Some serious disrespect to Blind !

Blood Mage

De Gea
de Jong
Eriksen - Bruno
Ziyech - Tadic - Sancho​

De Gea
Mazraoui - Varane - De Ligt - Shaw
De Jong - Eriksen
Ziyech - Bruno - Sancho
Ronaldo
This for me

merc1976

Supports
liverpool
It’s not a comparison as the 2 “teams” are in different phases. Ajax has a defined philosophy and players trained into that over years right from academy. The pitfall of such comparison is that you prioritise individuality over team. The team last year on a person to person comparison was even better to Ajax.

Ajax never repeated that sort of run in CL again. I can argue the team was good but might have exited earlier potentially. They played exciting football as they played like a well drilled team with youthful energy. The current team that ETH has will not have come froma well drilled system. They are individuals not bought with a tactical philosophy. They have had one pre-season, not enough to play like the Ajax team. Individually current team at united is superior but as a team we cannot really say until a few months have passed.

JB7

You've made a point about De Gea being picked over the goalkeeper that arguably cost Ajax a place in the CL Final, in the 18/19 season...
How exactly? Are you trying to suggest De Gea has never cost us anything or that Onana was somehow at fault for that goal?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The 2018 Ajax team may fare better than us in the CL but I am not certain they will do as well in the PL.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
It’s not a comparison as the 2 “teams” are in different phases. Ajax has a defined philosophy and players trained into that over years right from academy. The pitfall of such comparison is that you prioritise individuality over team. The team last year on a person to person comparison was even better to Ajax.

Ajax never repeated that sort of run in CL again. I can argue the team was good but might have exited earlier potentially. They played exciting football as they played like a well drilled team with youthful energy. The current team that ETH has will not have come froma well drilled system. They are individuals not bought with a tactical philosophy. They have had one pre-season, not enough to play like the Ajax team. Individually current team at united is superior but as a team we cannot really say until a few months have passed.
Correct. Team > individuals. That's why the Ajax team succeeded. Premier League teams usually brute force their way to wins. By that i mean buy the best players, because they have the money. That makes ETH plan special. Still using the Premier League money to buy the best players, but ones that fit the philosophy. If he executes it well, we might get the an Ajax like team with Premier League money, pretty much the best of both. Only slight problem is that ETH wasn't the one signing the players, so hopefully he learned a lot from Overmars, otherwise the plan might not fully work.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Onana, Mazraoui, De Ligt, Blind/Martinez, Tagliafico, De Jong, Fred, Bruno, Sancho, Tadic, Ziyech

Would be the best 11 for me, based on performances.

Robaldo

How exactly? Are you trying to suggest De Gea has never cost us anything or that Onana was somehow at fault for that goal?
The game was about to be called and he did that and then let in a shot that you'd probably expect a goalkeeper to save.

This is the goalkeeper you were implying was far superior to De Gea - bizarre.

JB7

Are you suggesting De Gea is an inferior keeper to Onana? :lol:
For a progressive team looking to play a high line? Yes quite clearly. De Gea was the worst goalkeeper in the entire Premier League last season with regards to stopping chances, both in terms of sweeping and dealing with balls into the box. In terms of distribution he was bottom third in the Premier League. He's the Aaron Wan Bissaka of goalkeepers.

The game was about to be called and he did that and then let in a shot that you'd probably expect a goalkeeper to save.

This is the goalkeeper you were implying was far superior to De Gea - bizarre.
Yeah nobody is expecting the goalkeeper to save that. And even if for some reason you do expect the goalkeeper to stop it and think he has made an error are you suggesting that a) De Gea would stop it (he wouldn't) and b) De Gea doesn't let shots in you'd expect him to save?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
People picking Tadic over Ronaldo, even today's version, need to have their heads taken off, screwed on and then repeat the process just in case
Forgot about Ronaldo to be honest.

Tadic was unreal that season though, he has been class for Ajax.

Mr PG

Rashford is a good footballer but he needs space. He’s struggling to adapt to being a team player and more link-up play. They’ve only had 2-3 mths with ETH I reckon they’ll be completely different players in six months time as he continuously points out their errors