Man Utd - Benfica on ITV4

fps

Anyone else watching? Charlton just skied a free kick, and now Benfica have equalised. Team is trash major rebuild needed.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was channel hopping and caught the end of normal time of this. Man. United were dead on their feet for last 10 minutes, every time Benfica attacked they were through on goal but Eusebio kept shooting straight at Alex Stepney.

Then the opposite happened as soon as extra time started, three attacks, three United goals.

Always interesting to see old games. Some iconic players on display but still plenty of examples of misplaced passes and full backs not blocking crosses that get savaged on social media after every big game.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
That Eusebio fella is strong and athletic but lacks that footballing intelligence to be really top drawer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Was channel hopping and caught the end of normal time of this. Man. United were dead on their feet for last 10 minutes, every time Benfica attacked they were through on goal but Eusebio kept shooting straight at Alex Stepney.

Then the opposite happened as soon as extra time started, three attacks, three United goals.

Always interesting to see old games. Some iconic players on display but still plenty of examples of misplaced passes and full backs not blocking crosses that get savaged on social media after every big game.
Even games from the 90s/00s were riddled with mistakes compared to now.

I’d love to see the reaction if it was played like that now.

Schmeichel made a lot of errors when you look back at it, he would have been slaughtered in the modern era if he did that.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany

Pretty much true, and why I hate these arguments comparing present with past (especially about the quality of defending not being as good today as it was in the 90's). So much has changed from then tactically and rules wise but also public perception with everything being shown on live TV across the globe, either through broadcast or social media. Hardly any mistake goes unnoticed and can ruin the reputation of players.

Also agree with @Adam-Utd about Schmeichel, he made a lot of mistakes in the treble season in particular, I remember.

Thiagoal

Schmeichel made a lot of errors when you look back at it, he would have been slaughtered in the modern era if he did that.
Maybe it’s nostalgia but I can genuinely only remember one major error the Great Dane made when he sliced a back pass and the opposition player rolled it into an empty net... against Barnsley...I think...

stubie

Maybe it’s nostalgia but I can genuinely only remember one major error the Great Dane made when he sliced a back pass and the opposition player rolled it into an empty net... against Barnsley...I think...
Also a last minute goal against Bayern in September 1998

KeanoMagicHat

It's still body of work over a career though, if a player makes a mistake then it's everywhere for a day or two but if they play well over a season it's still largely remembered. A lot of the social media stuff is pure in the moment stuff that just fades and doesn't leave a lasting impression because people move on to the next controversy or big thing immediately. For example, Maguire is still getting in Premier League teams of the year despite making several mistakes.

And it works both ways as well, for example De Gea is getting slated now for making mistakes, but when he was making lots of brilliant saves, those clips were being shared everywhere and he was being called the greatest keeper in United history and one of the greatest keepers of all-time, now he's looked at as useless. These days everything is extreme, feast or famine.

Bristol_Red_87

Me and the lad i was watching the match with on Sunday were discussing this..

I picked out the occasion he dropped Nicklas Alexandersson's shot into his own net at Hillsborough in 98/99.

He made a lot of mistakes, probably more per game than De Gea, but it was scrutinised far less back then. Shots that would beat him at the near post would have rarely been highlighted back then, where as its an elementary error nowadays..

Schmeichel was also such a presence and a great leader, so us lot would have been far more accepting of the odd gaffe in comparison to say De Gea, who isn't.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I watched the CL 99 recap recently and he had 2/3 errors in that alone. 1 away to Brondby with an awful free kick save, another away to Bayern with a stupid attempted punch out from a throw in that he completely missed, ended up being 1-1 in the last minute.

We all know how good he was but I do think modern players are held to a much higher level.

1.20 on this video

KeanoMagicHat

He made a lot of mistakes, probably more per game than De Gea, but it was scrutinised far less back then. Shots that would beat him at the near post would have rarely been highlighted back then, where as its an elementary error nowadays..

Schmeichel was also such a presence and a great leader, so us lot would have been far more accepting of the odd gaffe in comparison to say De Gea, who isn't.
That's it, I remember watching an old game there in lockdown, can't remember which one it was, and Schmeichel went out and caught the ball decisively then threw a ball over the halfway line that was a perfect through ball as good as a Beckham pass would be and set up a great chance. Was amazing athleticism to catch the ball and throw it that far. He could pull off spectacular moments.

Schmeichel missed the odd cross but the benefit was much greater in that he commanded that area like few keepers have ever done. De Gea meanwhile is timid and has average distribution. They're completely different keepers, Schmeichel is closest to Neuer rather than De Gea, who also makes the odd mistake but brings you so much more.

De Gea is now timid, average distribution and makes bad mistakes. For De Gea to compete with Schmeichel as a keeper, he has to be pulling off the wonder saves and not making mistakes like he did 5 years because that's the only things he was definitely better at than Schmeichel.