Man Utd Captain | 18/19 Onwards...

drdoityourself

Lukaku, love his passion on the field, and he's reported to have fantastic work ethic towards training. He's already shown massive improvement in his game here and I'd love to see this kind of personality rewarded by the armband.

iKeano

José to pick himself for captain, with hie beloved Belgian tree as his vice captain.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Would love to see Sanchez get the armband. Runs his socks off every game and is already marshalling players on the pitch. I believe he's going to be immense this season. Makes complete sense.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
Would love to see Sanchez get the armband. Runs his socks off every game and is already marshalling players on the pitch. I believe he's going to be immense this season. Makes complete sense.
I'd go Sanchez. He is a natural captain. He shows a lot of spirit to be a winner and is constantly trying to kick players up the arse anyway so wouldn't be a big change.

I'd go Sanchez. He is a natural captain. He shows a lot of spirit to be a winner and is constantly trying to kick players up the arse anyway so wouldn't be a big change.
We shouldn’t be choosing a captain that’s been at the club barely 6 months. Besides he need to concentrate on being better, he’s not been good enough so far. Giving him the captaincy would be ludicrous.

wolvored

Out of the present lot you have to look at experience and who will be getting picked regularly and can speak English. So its out of Matic De Gea Sanchez and Lukaku (not counting any new additions). I would give it Matic out of those

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Exactly! That's what I'm talking about.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
We shouldn’t be choosing a captain that’s been at the club barely 6 months. Besides he need to concentrate on being better, he’s not been good enough so far. Giving him the captaincy would be ludicrous.
Completely irrelevant. He's the hardest working player on the pitch and it's not like he's the only one who needs to improve. Would be the kick up the arse that the team needs.

FcUnitedRed

Supports
Glazers Out
Without question it has to be DDG. The amount of points he's saved us over the last few years are for me, worthy of the captaincy.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I don't disagree with your point entirely, but who else even resembles a captain?

De Gea is fairly quiet
Valencia could be, but we want him playing less anyway
Smalling too quiet and not good enough
Jones too injury prone and took stupid
Young maybe deserves a crack, but is he a leader?
Pogba is too much of a clown
Matic should be captain material but I don't get that vibe
Herrera doesn't play enough, but could be a good shout
Mata doesnt play enough
Lingard is too much of a clown
Lukaku could be an option, but seems a bit quiet.
Martial or Rashford are too young and not really consistent or playing enough.

It's not exactly a field of leaders and to be fair that's reflected in our inconsistency!

Sanchez stands out as a player who thrives on winning, who is a class above everyone else and is vocal. He has plenty of experience as well.

It's not that he should be captain, but that no one else that should seems like they could.

The safe option is probably Valencia or Young with Sanchez as vice

Silas

Sanchez has been here for 6 months, been shite for about 60% of it and barely speaks English. No thanks.

Out of the senior (age-wise) members of the squad, only Young would be a good choice. That depends on if he's starting though (hope not). Not that I pay much attention to it, but Matic doesn't seem to be much of a talker on the pitch. Mostly just gets on with it. Valencia, while being a model professional and spending a large amount of his career here, doesn't speak English, doesn't really lead his team and seems to have declined. He'll probably still get it, even if he doesn't play all the time, just because he was the default captain this year.

Another player that could be considered is Pogba. While inconsistent, Pogba has charisma, is vocal on the pitch, has a good rapport with his teammates, has long-standing links with the club and importantly has quality. It's not likely next season, but I'd imagine he'll be one of the main candidates long-term. I remember him wearing it in successive games before his injury. Seemed like a good fit back then. Lukaku definitely isn't lacking in passion, but other than giving out the usual thumbs up in response to an attempted pass, he doesn't communicate much. De Gea may be a fantastic player, but I don't see what he brings to the table in terms of leadership. Him being a good player won't mean much when, a lot of the time, he won't even be in the same half as the ball or ref. Herrera has everything other than starting quality, unfortunately.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Don't forget about Humber and Atom... he'll remind the youngsters to walk the dogs around OT after each practice to work on their fitness. If that's not captaincy material, I don't know what is...

luke511

When you can't think of any outfield captain contenders, you know something's not right.

Silver

With Carrick retired, De Gea for Captain is a no-brainer for me for multiple reasons:

1) Indisputable world class player with a world class mentality
2) His development at United - he joined as a player with raw potential, which is always tricky in a big club like United especially considering he was succeeding VDS, but he has developed in to a world class player here despite the early criticisms and pressure he faced.
3) His longevity at the club as a Fergie player - one of Fergie's last signings and probably one of the best, who knows the feeling of winning the PL. He's experienced that mentality and you can see that he still has that winning mentality which a leader needs.
4) His connection to the club - he could have gone to Madrid. He almost went to Madrid. But he didn't and he never disrespected us in that whole process. And since then, i've noticed he's become more vocal about the expectations the team should be fulfilling. He wants to fight for the club. It seems he really appreciates the love our fans have for him.

Being a GK shouldn't be a disqualifier for being a captain. It'll probably empower him even more especially in terms of leading and organizing from the back which he is more than capable of.

Himannv

I don't feel De Gea is really captaincy material. He seems to just do his part and isn't really that bothered about how other people do their jobs. He'll ask his wall to move and give an occasional pat on the back for a good bit of defending, but beyond that I don't see him having captaincy potential.

The captain needs to be someone who can lift players when we're down, or give someone a kick on the arse to lift their game, or even argue with the ref on behalf of the team. He needs to be someone in the thick of things and showing others how it's supposed to be done.

We don't really have outstanding candidates.

- Pogba needs more responsibility, but he's such a prat that he doesn't seem ready for it.
- Sanchez would be great, but he only just joined us.
- Young is a decent choice for me, but he's getting old and should not really be starting every game.
- Valencia will probably get it, but I prefer someone who speaks English well and communicates with the team, the ref, etc. He's another who should be eased out of the team a bit like Young.
- Smalling and Jones are actually good candidates IMO, but they're often injured and I'm not sure if they'll start every single game. I prefer Jones ahead of Smalling personally.

Matic is a good candidate for the job. He always plays and as a DM he sees a lot of the ball and has the ability to set the tone of performance for the rest of the team. A few hard tackles can get others in the mood and his dribbling past challenges thing can lift the team and the crowd as we've seen.

Micky Targaryen

After reading the Lukaku article in the other thread, Rom deserves to be the future captain one day. Fantastic attitude.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Would be interesting to have a poll.

So far the candidates:
  • De Gea
  • Matic
  • Valencia
  • Pogba
  • Lukaku
  • Young
  • Herrera
  • Sanchez
  • Smalling
  • Jones
  • Lingard
  • Bailly
  • Darmian
  • Fellaini
  • Giggs...
I think we'll continue with Valencia as club captain and rotate the arm band on the field when he's not playing between Pogba, Smalling, De Gea, Mata, Matic etc.

Marcky411

The captaincy should be given to a true leader and truely respected player in the dressing room. We seem to be lacking both, the only player I see now and then trying to get the players riled up on the pitch or trying to give a bit of guidance is Ashley Young but to call him a true leader, no.
Personally it doesn’t matter who our captain is as we have seen the last so many years(not only at Utd) team captains are less important in the modern game. These days the captaincy is just given to the most senior player in the team.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Lukaku, love his passion on the field, and he's reported to have fantastic work ethic towards training. He's already shown massive improvement in his game here and I'd love to see this kind of personality rewarded by the armband.
Agreed. He showed me a lot last year, goes through some cold streaks and fights and works his ass off until he starts scoring goals again, never pouts or gets down. Very positive presence on the pitch and in the locker room.

Bearded One

Matic for me. I feel Sanchez hasn't been with us long enough so Matic for me. The guy plays with passion and always tries his best.

Renegade

Sanchez really? I doubt he has the full confidence of his team mates yet. I rather our captain not be someone who laughs at his teammates from the bench when they’re losing.

De Gea or matic for me.

Valencia lack of English for me puts me off him being chosen, although more likely he’ll be announced our captain.
Smalling and Pogba seemed to get demoted in the captain ranking last season so can’t see them being chosen.

Think pogba lost Jose trust last season, he was being groomed to be the next captain in 16/17.

Hamadovich86

It pretty much doesnt matter who has the armband, you need actual leaders on the pitch more than you need a captain imo. To answer the OP tho, theres no reason why Valencia would lose the captaincy if he starts which i suspect he will most of the time.

MarchingOn

What are your reservations? Nobody is perfect.
He's been here only a few months, hasn't played anywhere near his potential, speaks little to no English, not outspoken on the pitch (likely for the last reason), many more deserving players, etc.

Himannv

After reading the Lukaku article in the other thread, Rom deserves to be the future captain one day. Fantastic attitude.
Yeah, that article has actually gone some way towards changing my opinion of him. I'm not one of those who felt he was the right player for us when we signed him and I only started appreciating him during the latter half of the season. That article however has made me a fan.

Bearded One

He's been here only a few months, hasn't played anywhere near his potential, speaks little to no English, not outspoken on the pitch (likely for the last reason), many more deserving players, etc.
Well my original post was in response to some posts I saw on this thread recommending him as captain. Didn't need to go into much detail because the fact that he only just joined us automatically rules him out. I agree with most of your points but there's one thing you cannot take away from him - he tries to lead by example on the pitch and that's a trait I'd want any United captain to have.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
De gea. Not just because he is our best player. Because how he is behaving ìn all this transfer sagas in real. Lets be realistic. Real was better option for him. Hometown, titles, climate. But he stayed and not just that, he never tried to push for that transfer. He wanted that transfer but was professional 100%. No crying, sulking or something like that( that is why i will never never forgive ronaldo)

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Not a fan of strikers as captains.