Man Utd players unhappy with training...

jeff_goldblum

The 'pattern' is just as likely to be the media's business model as anything else.

"Manchester United players are unhappy with training", is a nothing statement, impossible to prove or disprove but guaranteed to drive clicks, comment and debate as everyone speculates who might be the source, what the problem might be and whether it's actually the manager being useless or the players having a poor attitude or being disgruntled with their contract, squad role etc.

Sometimes we get what could theoretically be a solid source, such as the Metro which cites a source close to a player but doesn't give any clarification of whether the information was an opinion held by that player. Generally it's even vaguer, as with the Athletic article on Rangnick where we're relying on "sources familiar with Carrington", whatever that means. And then the LVG and Ole articles simply give us the classic "it is thought that", which narrows down the source to anyone who has both heard of Manchester United and is capable of thought.

Tyrion

I'm amazed the player(s) complaining to the press about this don't see how stupid they look now. No ones buying it.

Maybe we should do away with training and just have them show up on match day
Wait, we haven't been doing that?

El Jefe

Are we going to pretend we didn't hear similar criticisms of Jose and LVG at their previous clubs when things didn't go well. I even remember reports about Spurs players getting jaded by Pochettino's training.

But of course its far easier to just spam accuse the players of being cnuts and uncoachable.

Tyrion

The 'pattern' is just as likely to be the media's business model as anything else.

"Manchester United players are unhappy with training", is a nothing statement, impossible to prove or disprove but guaranteed to drive clicks, comment and debate as everyone speculates who might be the source, what the problem might be and whether it's actually the manager being useless or the players having a poor attitude or being disgruntled with their contract, squad role etc.

Sometimes we get what could theoretically be a solid source, such as the Metro which cites a source close to a player but doesn't give any clarification of whether the information was an opinion held by that player. Generally it's even vaguer, as with the Athletic article on Rangnick where we're relying on "sources familiar with Carrington", whatever that means. And then the LVG and Ole articles simply give us the classic "it is thought that", which narrows down the source to anyone who has both heard of Manchester United and is capable of thought.
I agree that 90% of these articles are made up. They sometimes remind me of those paragraphs written next to pictures of models in bikinis where they claim "an onlooker was quoted as saying [insert shitty pun]" and its clearly the journo themselves.

But this dressing room seems much 'leakier' then previous United sides and other teams.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

Not really. If this is Fergie teams keane would call out this rubbish and players would show support and more passion to prove their doubters wrong. It's their credence at stake.

Fergie would have called out the paper and reprimand them not to mess with united.

If this is Klopp he too would fight back

The players and the manager has no ammunition to bark back this time even if it's a false statement

Revaulx

The team we had under Van Gaal was different from the one we had under Jose, which is again different from the one we have/had under Ole.
True, but there’s been plenty of overlap. Maybe a rotten culture handed down through the generations?
Maybe small things like one player opinion is blown out of proportion?
Also true. If a player goes whinging to the press he’s going to want to make them believe his grievances are shared by all; otherwise it will look like it’s just him with a grudge. “United players unhappy” carries more weight than “J*ssie L*ngard unhappy”.

Red_toad

Clearly a media made up favourite that they wheel out when we're not particularly doing a well.
Yup one for the toxic fan base to take as a fact every time. Getting tedious so many crap stories based on these ‘sources’ who know one knows who they are.

Caesar2290

I mean

LVG - they probably all just stood still

Mourinho - they probably just did 10 men behind the ball

Ole - they probably just did did vibes

RR - they probably just listen to him talk shit about genepressing

it's a completely different squad from what LVG had to now so you can't put it all on the players and 'players unhappy with training' is probably a tap in story for a journalist anyway
Agreed, but it's not the squad, it's the culture. If you read about the Hundred Monkey effect, you will know what I'm talking about. In case you didn't it was basically an observation where a new behaviour spreads through a group of monkey, despite the originator not being there anymore.

Both Fergie and Cruyff when they stepped into their roles had to change the established culture(drinking at Man Utd and being victims at Barca). We have a culture of over entitled brats as things stand.

How many times did we have new players join in and then within 6 months they start losing their spark? Just look at Bruno. When he joined he looked like this determined WC player willing to uphold standards and his team mates accountable. Now look at him now: a shell of himself that constantly complains about everything. For some people the environment is too big of a hurdle to handle.

Ronaldo is the exception. Unlike most players, he doesn't let the environment dictate how he should feel, but rather the opposite. Hence the strife in the dressing room, because his presence is challenging the established status quo.

The biggest challenge ETH will face isn't the board or transfers or playing styles... it will be to completely uprooting this toxic over entitled environment and replace it with a meritocratic one.

jeff_goldblum

I agree that 90% of these articles are made up. They sometimes remind me of those paragraphs written next to pictures of models in bikinis where they claim "an onlooker was quoted as saying [insert shitty pun]" and its clearly the journo themselves.

But this dressing room seems much 'leakier' then previous United sides and other teams.
Football journalists have cried wolf with vague anonymous sources so often that none of it deserves to be taken seriously in my opinion. It feels like there are more leaks than usual in this group, but equally it could just be that the journos are aware that the general air of discontent around the club means that there's more of an appetite to believe and engage with these sorts of stories - the existence of this thread would suggest the latter.

Take the Ole story in the OP for example, regardless of whether the core accusation is true or not, I very much doubt there was any real change in the quality of the training sessions between the seasons we came 3rd and 2nd and this season. It's therefore a strange that it apparently only became a news/leak-worthy problem this season.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Players always moaning about training sessions… there getting paid to play football, they should listen to what there managers are saying and teaching them. They say there not getting proper training, how do they know when they keep saying all the training there getting is bad. Let’s see what stories come out when ten Hag joins because he’ll have none of it, he’ll get rid of whoever doesn’t buy into his plans.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Lingard was there through all those managers. Just saying. Be interesting to see if the leaks stop when he leaves.

TOKUGAWA-X

Rangnick has been a terrible manager, he clearly never got along with lots of players.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

Suspect Sharp and Armas are getting the brunt of the complaints from these players (being American and all, Ted Lasso etc.) Sounds more like deflecting blame for poor performances.

haru krentz

During LvG's years there were rumours circulating on media that our players are turning their phones off so they dont get to read emails from LvG "criticizing" their performance. TBH when these players decided they hated you (manager) they'll do their best to embarrassed him we saw it with Moyes, Ole, and Rangnick. The club have been pampering them. The board caved in to their demand because their big personalities attract sponsors, who cares about performance? all they need to do is to make to sure they "look" concern about the fans ("we are sorry", "we'll come back stronger", "fans didnt deserve this", bulshit like that) while laughing their silly asses on their 500k porsche. I knew what was about to come when we extended contract to Eric Baily.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Players turned over under Ferguson countless times. The culture survives and is maintained. That's why its so hard to rebuild. The toxic elements here will remain toxic under a new manager and among new players
Exactly.

True, but there’s been plenty of overlap. Maybe a rotten culture handed down through the generations?
That's certainly what it looks like. Plus, as others have pointed out, some players have been here for most of the post Fergie period.

Agreed, but it's not the squad, it's the culture. If you read about the Hundred Monkey effect, you will know what I'm talking about. In case you didn't it was basically an observation where a new behaviour spreads through a group of monkey, despite the originator not being there anymore.

Both Fergie and Cruyff when they stepped into their roles had to change the established culture(drinking at Man Utd and being victims at Barca). We have a culture of over entitled brats as things stand.

How many times did we have new players join in and then within 6 months they start losing their spark? Just look at Bruno. When he joined he looked like this determined WC player willing to uphold standards and his team mates accountable. Now look at him now: a shell of himself that constantly complains about everything. For some people the environment is too big of a hurdle to handle.

Ronaldo is the exception. Unlike most players, he doesn't let the environment dictate how he should feel, but rather the opposite. Hence the strife in the dressing room, because his presence is challenging the established status quo.

The biggest challenge ETH will face isn't the board or transfers or playing styles... it will be to completely uprooting this toxic over entitled environment and replace it with a meritocratic one.
Bingo. A high achiever steps into an environment of mediocrity, starts demanding more and it causes certain people to spit their dummies out and get in a huff.

Totally agree with you on the challenge facing Ten Hag.

Blood Mage

Can't wait for the reports of these idiots being unhappy with Ten Hag's coaching sessions. They're all looking out for themselves and in denial about their own ineptitude.

RedDevilRoshi

That’s why it’s comical when the app shows photos of the players at the training ground smiling and laughing with one another.

These players really do need a huge kick up the backside. I hope ETH absolutely grills them when he comes and fully stamps his authority that it’s his way and if you ain’t happy with that then GTF out!

Lee565

Not this rubbish, we are talking about different teams under each permanent manager so let's not create the idea it's the same players spanning over all that time, the reality is we just hired past it/crap managers that I can I see frustrating players that want to play on the front foot, be proactive and progressive.

arthurka

Hope so but I’m not optimistic. Ten Hag probably has particular training methods and drills to implement his style, this shower of shite probably wot like that and just want a 5 a side kick about as training.
This video talks about his ruthless approach when needed. He has work cut out for him.

Son

It’s amazing how they all have such high standards since apart from Ronaldo last time I checked none of our players have ever won anything of note.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I'm unhappy with getting twatted 4-0 half a dozen times in a fecking season, man up, do you damn jobs or sod off.

Crashoutcassius

Players turned over under Ferguson countless times. The culture survives and is maintained. That's why its so hard to rebuild. The toxic elements here will remain toxic under a new manager and among new players
They haven't. Shaw, Lingard, Rashford, Jones, Mata, de Gea.
It's not 100%, though. DDG, Shaw, Jones, Lingard, Mata and Rashford all played under LVG. If it is one of them I know who my money's on.
Think I've found the tabloid readers

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If the new man doesn't get them out to feck then it's time to resort to plan B.

I don't know what plan B is
There is no plan B. If ETH wants to succeed then he needs to remove all the toxicity even if it that means relying on players from the youth academy. Let's face it, some of them can do the job. For example are Laird and Williams that worse from Dalot and Telles/Shaw? United offer some of the highest salaries in football. Its time players start fear the prospect of losing all that dosh. That can only happen if we kick all the deadwood out.