Man Utd reportedly among six Prem clubs in on a breakaway Euro super league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranchero

Normally reliable Sky News reporting we are expected to be in on this abomination of a European Super League where there is no promotion or relegation.

Can't believe we would give a second thought to this disgraceful plan which goes against all the ethics of the league set up where any club can reach the top.
The ethos of this would mean a Leicester would never win a major title.

Also in on it are Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and two other teams.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Normally reliable Sky News reporting we are expected to be in on this abomination of a European Super League where there is no promotion or relegation.

Can't believe we would give a second thought to this disgraceful plan which goes against all the ethics of the league set up where any club can reach the top.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/top...expected-tonight.458297/page-16#post-27075355

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

That is how all leagues (NBA, NFL, MLB) work in the United States. Not surprising for our dickhead owners to see nothing wrong with it, especially if there's money to be made.

lsd

The Oracle
Off course we are in on it we are the ones that have been pushing for this for years. I'm pretty sure it's our idea

SER19

Some nerve being on board with this while struggling against sides like Burnley

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Where did you hear this Howard?
It's on Sky. Gary Nev reckons all clubs involved should be docked points. It's just pure greed from the owners of the clubs who have no feelings for the fans or the history of our football clubs. If United do leave to join a European Super League, I shall refuse to pay to watch and if every real football were to do the same the "Big Six" will soon slink back. I believe Bayern Munich have taken a stand against it.

Ranchero

As they should. Hopefully the threat of ban from both EPL and UCL will help stop this bullshit.
How can we play in a Euro super league AND the Prem. It doesnt work. It is surely one or the other. They cannot coincide. Surely.

Ranchero

It's on Sky. Gary Nev reckons all clubs involved should be docked points. It's just pure greed from the owners of the clubs who have no feelings for the fans or the history of our football clubs. If United do leave to join a European Super League, I shall refuse to pay to watch and if every real football were to do the same the "Big Six" will soon slink back. I believe Bayern Munich have taken a stand against it.
I think it is an utter disgrace we have not taken a stand like Bayern AGAINST this abomination of a concept. Money first, ethics second as it stands.

DULLAGHAN

This needs to be stopped, players, supporters groups, everyone needs to loudly voice opposition.

The idea totally kills all competition in sport.

I don't want to support the club if this happens! A really sad day for the club and totally spits in the face of its amazing heritage!

MrBrightside1989

What a shame this would be for the thousands of people who travel to away games. They will have to fly across Europe, not a bus up the road or an hour or two on the train. Who can afford to fly away every fortnight.

Ranchero

https://news.sky.com/story/european...-teams-involved-sky-news-understands-12279432

Supposedly, JP Morgan have put forward 6bn. Looks like it might be happening, which will be a shame.
Foreign owners care nothing about the traditions of the game. Only concerned with pounds, shillings and pence. No concern for fans who i will bet would be totally against it.

And here we are struggling to beat Burnley and at least provide City with something to think about. Whole idea that we are in on this leaves more than a nasty taste in the mouth.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
As they should. Hopefully the threat of ban from both EPL and UCL will help stop this bullshit.
If Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs leave the EPL then there will be no EPL.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Disgraceful stuff this. I can't stand behind a SuperLeague.

DavelinaJolie

More and more I find myself losing interest in football. This would be the killer blow.

Ranchero

Disgraceful stuff this. I can't stand behind a SuperLeague.
I am shocked that the executives at our club think we should be seen to be in on this.

I thought Arsenal seeking to make staff redundant during the pandemic while pursuing summer transfer targets was low. This is unforgiveable.

Our club has always been married to the great traditions of the domestic game. To plan to walk away from that is utterly deplorable.

Suedesi

Foreign owners care nothing about the traditions of the game. Only concerned with pounds, shillings and pence. No concern for fans who i will bet would be totally against it.

And here we are struggling to beat Burnley and at least provide City with something to think about. Whole idea that we are in on this leaves more than a nasty taste in the mouth.
And how do you explain Barcelona, Juve and Madrid signing up for the project then? They are owned by socios (in the case of the Spanish clubs) and the Agnelli family in the case of Juve - no foreign owners whatsoever.

It's a cash grab, pure and simple - the nationality of owners has feckall to do with anything.

Ranchero

And how do you explain Barcelona, Juve and Madrid signing up for the project then? They are owned by socios (in the case of the Spanish clubs) and the Agnelli family in the case of Juve - no foreign owners whatsoever.

It's a cash grab, pure and simple - the nationality of owners has feckall to do with anything.
Fair dos. It is still wrong

Ranchero

We score in the nick of time. But i have to say my joy is somewhat curtailed by this news.

devilish

If the FA turns it back at the big clubs then surely the big clubs can turn its back towards the FA. For example the likes of Chelsea, United and co won't be obliged to follow the homegrown talent rule which would have a huge hit on the national team.

devilish

I think the issue is money. I fear that Clubs like United, Chelsea, Juventus, Barca and co are getting tired of bankrolling nobody clubs whose only reason for getting money is that they happen to be playing in the same league with these clubs. Lets face it 99% of people watching the game are watching it because of us not Burnley.

Mainoldo

Don’t think it will be a bad idea. Woolf hopefully bring back the beautiful game. EPL will benefit. But as most things. People hate change.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's mad. Since when were Spurs even deserving of being in a fecking super League? They ain't won a thing. Pure greed from all sides.

I hope every club involved, us included, gets absolutely ripped to shreds for this.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
What a shame this would be for the thousands of people who travel to away games. They will have to fly across Europe, not a bus up the road or an hour or two on the train. Who can afford to fly away every fortnight.
Who cares about those smelly poor people in the stands. Amusement is for rich people, go back to your 9 to 5 job filthy peon.

Gopher Brown

Is it to replace European football, or to replace our playing in the PL though?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Don’t think it will be a bad idea. Woolf hopefully bring back the beautiful game. EPL will benefit. But as most things. People hate change.
We agree on a lot of things with regard to our manager but this is a no-no. Sport is about competition, uncertainty and tension. This kills off all of that. Hard no from me.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Lot of big name journos convinced there will be a big announcement tonight even.

Status
Not open for further replies.