Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Steve

I think Ed firstly needs to cut ties with Jose, bring in a football operations structure to run the onfield stuff while he runs United as a commercial entity which I have no reason to doubt he is good at, and keep his involvement in the football operations to a minimum.

He can be the guy who gives the money to spend or how to boost marketing of new players and stuff, as well as some input in the new head coaches.

vangagal

If he doesn’t sack Mourinho after this result, when we are 19 points behind them, after 17 games played, then we have no hope going forward.
We already know that he is clueless, but surely there is someone behind the scenes that can say enough is enough?
Enough is when United dont make money anymore for Glazers. Thats it. You should know by now.

Barnslig

Your opinion could have traction were it not for the existance of ffp.
It works by allowing spend based on earnings - we earn far more than City and can therefore spend far more than City. If they were backed by the god Midas, China and the Rothschilds they still couldn't spend as much as we can because they don't earn as much as we do.
What is there not to understand about that?
If you get to understand what ffp is then you'll understand just how wrong your current notion is.

And we're not a small business; based on earnings, we're the very biggest football club.
:lol::lol::lol:

Honestly not sure if serious? Surely everyone knows by now that FFP is a farce and certainly doesn't stop City or PSG from spending an abundance of state funded oil money?

vangagal

I think Ed firstly needs to cut ties with Jose, bring in a football operations structure to run the onfield stuff while he runs United as a commercial entity which I have no reason to doubt he is good at, and keep his involvement in the football operations to a minimum.

He can be the guy who gives the money to spend or how to boost marketing of new players and stuff, as well as some input in the new head coaches.
It has been said for past 2 years that we need DoF or something similiar but Woodward never act to do so. He need to go aswell.

vangagal

Could really do without comparisons like that here.
Its bit out of order maybe.
This is the game i felt i hate him so much.
Every game camera shots him and he acted like big time charlie knows what he doing when in fact he is just clueless clown.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
History will prove Glazers to be the worst thing that's happened to this club.
You know our history, right?

I don't disagree about their ownership though, it's the reason we're a mess and been a mess since SAF left.

Wilt

Ed “I’ve got two tickets for sports personality tonight if you’re interested?“

Sir Bobby “how much?”

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Why is he even watching games from stands ? He makes the same face like he didn't shit in weeks, then go home and here's your CEO of the biggest club. Can't even use his business skills to acquire funds for players.

Let me guess, another season without key reforms, No DoF, no Carrick successor on the pitch, Evra was never properly replaced to this day and of course cherry on top - Jones getting rewarding contract. You just know it's coming and can't wait for further blocking just another deal for much needed defender.

Not even Jose can go lower than this guy right now. At least you know Mourinho will walk away from United, finds a job and win another set of trophies as a short term solution...

sugar_kane

It’s 100% on Woodward now.

He either believes Mourinho is the right man for the job which he patently isn’t or he just wants to save money against a payout by waiting til we miss out on top four.

Another 5 months of this will be horrendous for everyone concerned - especially the fans and the players.

Even as a business decision it makes no sense, the £20m or whatever it would cost the club to get rid is dwarfed by the amount of investments we have which are either benched or completely under utilised.

He needs to pull the trigger.

RonaldoVII

Regardless of whether he gets rid of Mourinho or not, we'll end up in the same situation in a few years time (as we did with LVG) unless things above the manager change. We're the only top club with no direction or long term plan. That won't change with swapping managers.

Johan07

It has been said for past 2 years that we need DoF or something similiar but Woodward never act to do so. He need to go aswell.
And Sir Alex himself has in both of his books, one on leadership, advocated the complete opposite: that the manager of a football club should be the one in charge completely of everything football related.
We have a tradition at this type of governance at this club and it is not so easy you just throw it out. Especially when you have employed a manager in Mourinho who saw this as the main reason to come to United. IMO that was the case at least.
We have an advisory Board of Directors at United, where the great man himself is a Director. Full of "football people" that fans are crying about to have more impact on the club. I would argue that these "football people" are the ones that opposes a DoF-role at United.
Objectively Woodward himself distanced himself from the football side of things more or less completely when he surrendered the negotiation of contracts, etc to Matthew Judge in 2016. Since then we have been moving toward an organization that would be able to implement a DoF.
When (not if) that will happen it will not mean that Woodwards responsibilities will change. It will move power and responsibilities from the manager and Matt Judge and probably a bit from Lawlor; the head of scouting as well: to the DoF. It will not do one iota about Woodwards role.
There will be and is people at the club opposing such a transition though, not at least the great man himself.
I wish that people at least would read up on what our current organization really is like. I dont adore Woodward, but he gets far too much shit for stuff that he is not responsible for.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I wouldn't trust Ed to fire his gardener after he's taken a shit on his lawn and shagged his wife... Never mind Jose.

After his garden resembles a sewage and his wife has left him and taken the kids with her however... He might give him the axe.

I say he might, He'd probably pay someone else to do it.

Via carrier pigeon.

vangagal

And Sir Alex himself has in both of his books, one on leadership, advocated the complete opposite: that the manager of a football club should be the one in charge completely of everything football related.
We have a tradition at this type of governance at this club and it is not so easy you just throw it out. Especially when you have employed a manager in Mourinho who saw this as the main reason to come to United. IMO that was the case at least.
We have an advisory Board of Directors at United, where the great man himself is a Director. Full of "football people" that fans are crying about to have more impact on the club. I would argue that these "football people" are the ones that opposes a DoF-role at United.
Objectively Woodward himself distanced himself from the football side of things more or less completely when he surrendered the negotiation of contracts, etc to Matthew Judge in 2016. Since then we have been moving toward an organization that would be able to implement a DoF.
When (not if) that will happen it will not mean that Woodwards responsibilities will change. It will move power and responsibilities from the manager and Matt Judge and probably a bit from Lawlor; the head of scouting as well.
There will be and is people at the club opposing this transition though, not at least the great man himself.
I wish that people at least would read up on what our current organization really is like. I dont adore Woodward, but he gets far too much shit for stuff that he is not responsible for.
Then expalin why he refused to backed Jose last summer over a defender? On his own account, he said to media that he will buy a defender for 100 million like Varane. So why not buying him instead? Jose would gladly take that. You said he distant from footballing matter but he doesnt act like one.
You know what you get and what to do when you hired Jose so make the full of it.
This half arsed approach has been no success so far.
If Jose so in full control like you said as manager supposed to be in United, no doubt we would already have a set of brand new team but thats not the case.
I'm fully aware of BoD at United but its hardly a strong position anyway by the looks of it.
We know SBC is massive advocate of Moyes and a strong against Jose, yet Moyes got sacked and Jose got appointed.
If SAF has any words for Woodward, which one would it be?
Is he a advocate for Jose or against him?
If Fergie indeed an advocate for Jose that explain why he still in charge right now,
If Fergie wants Jose get sacked surely thats on Woodward these situation lies blame for?

Oscar.Z.Acosta

Can we trick him into making an 'unwoke' Twitter witticism? That appears to get people sacked pretty quickly nowadays. Alternatively, I don't know what we can do...a Dark Web assassination seems slight overkill.

the chameleon

Mourinho we all know has to go. But regardless of managers, this man has been a constant throughout the last 5.5 years.

He is a HUGE concern and massive blocker. We need to ask ourselves, will we EVER be a major force in European football this clown in charge? Most likely NO. Will Liverpool be on more league titles won than us before he fecks off? There's a strong possibility.

A person who gets and cares for the club would never let Liverpool overtake us.

Forget about the curry powder deals he gets to paper over cracks. Some action needs to be taken to put pressure on this clown.

Yakuza_devils

This fecking twat running Man Utd like a small club. 19 points from top and 11 points from Top 4 and we are only in December. All these while playing fecking boring dinosaur football. Yet the manager is safe.

Sometimes the fans are also in the faults. If it were Real, Barca or Bayern surely there were riots everywhere!

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
This fecking twat running Man Utd like a small club. 19 points from top and 11 points from Top 4 and we are only in December. All these while playing fecking boring dinosaur football. Yet the manager is safe.

Sometimes the fans are also in the faults. If it were Real, Barca or Bayern surely there were riots everywhere!
And rightly so.

You accept mediocrity - you will get get mediocrity.

Especially when people like the Glazers and Woodward are involved.

I have often thought of Real since the Moyes appointment - "imagine the Real board trying to pull this on their fans" etc.

It's just laughable. It's gotten to borderline surreal levels now.

Josep Dowling

When (not if) that will happen it will not mean that Woodwards responsibilities will change. It will move power and responsibilities from the manager and Matt Judge and probably a bit from Lawlor; the head of scouting as well: to the DoF. It will not do one iota about Woodwards role.
There will be and is people at the club opposing such a transition though, not at least the great man himself.
Maybe part of the problem is the board is receiving advice from two people that are at retirement age. As much as Sir Alex and Sir Bobby are huge legends at the club I’m not sure it’s the most sensible thing to be using them as the advisers on football matters.

The way Sir Alex managed the club was a very old school style of management. The fact we are the only top club that is trying to keep that style and failing miserably surely tells you we are the ones that need to make the change?

Kag

A lot of the criticism directed at Woodward is often loaded with hindsight (hiring of Van Gaal and Mourinho) or downright tosh (not backing the manager or not looking for some sort of long term strategy), but as executive chairman he is very responsible for the decision to persist with Mourinho as manager. Even though there has been sufficient evidence telling him to get rid for at least two months (it’s actually more than that but I digress).

The season is now a total catastrophe with nothing positive to be gained from it and this could have all been avoided if Woodward and his advisors were more proactive and ruthless.

Madrid and Chelsea are often caricatured as everything that is wrong with modern football but they know a flailing manager when they see one. Their expectations are high and they pull the trigger, irrespective of the circumstances that led up to the sacking. If Woodward can’t do that then he best feck off.

Johan07

Maybe part of the problem is the board is receiving advice from two people that are at retirement age. As much as Sir Alex and Sir Bobby are huge legends at the club I’m not sure it’s the most sensible thing to be using them as the advisers on football matters.

The way Sir Alex managed the club was a very old school style of management. The fact we are the only top club that is trying to keep that style and failing miserably surely tells you we are the ones that need to make the change?
Yeah, I completely agree. I just tried to highlight what I believe is the real reason for why we are having problems with enforcing a new organization. To replace the Sirs and/or ignore their advice might be easier said than done.
What I see is the club steadily moving towards a modern organization and I think a lot of it is thanks to Woodward, not because of him. There are elements within the club that opposes such a change, the mentioned Advisory Board and not at least Mourinho himself.
I think and hope we will see the said change at the same time Mourinho is released and that a new manager/coach is recruited from a different perspective than Mourinho was.
Again: hope so at least.
I just find it weird when people are having a go at Woodward when most facts indicate that he is the one that is pushing for a change that most fans now seem to believe is the right way to go. Could he push even harder? Maybe, but one should not disregard the traditions that are in the walls of our club. Its not such an easy task.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The worst thing about him is his refusal to act on time and get rid of the manager when its blatantly obvious it's a failure
That's really not the worst thing about him.

Beyond issuing P45's, his main job should be effective strategic direction of the club from both a football and business perspective. He's failing on the football front. And that remains a fact regardless of whether he fires Mourinho now or in May.

Johan07

Then expalin why he refused to backed Jose last summer over a defender? On his own account, he said to media that he will buy a defender for 100 million like Varane. So why not buying him instead? Jose would gladly take that. You said he distant from footballing matter but he doesnt act like one.
You know what you get and what to do when you hired Jose so make the full of it.
This half arsed approach has been no success so far.
If Jose so in full control like you said as manager supposed to be in United, no doubt we would already have a set of brand new team but thats not the case.
I'm fully aware of BoD at United but its hardly a strong position anyway by the looks of it.
We know SBC is massive advocate of Moyes and a strong against Jose, yet Moyes got sacked and Jose got appointed.
If SAF has any words for Woodward, which one would it be?
Is he a advocate for Jose or against him?
If Fergie indeed an advocate for Jose that explain why he still in charge right now,
If Fergie wants Jose get sacked surely thats on Woodward these situation lies blame for?
This was kind of incoherent and based on a lot of factually incorrect assumptions. I will just reply to one:
There is no factual support to the claim that Mourinho was not "backed" during the summer.
If you dont count the fact that the Board might have refused to grant an even bigger raise to our wage budget which the Sanchez acquisition led to it being the biggest in the PL. Bigger than the mighty Citeh.
I argue that Mourinho is pretty much completely free to do as he pleases with our squad as long as he stays within the wage budget.
To get just one of the two players whose names has been thrown around: Koulibaly and Aldeweireld it would have meant having to get rid of Rojo, Jones and Darmian just to clear room for wages. Then you have to add pretty relevant stuff as the players wanting to come and/or move. And then you would have to get two new players on additional wages.
When Woodward referred to Varane he was probably just making the simple point that this club is always prepared to invest in young and world class talent. Which our record proves with the purchases of Pogba and Lukaku.
Investing in players on the transfer market is not the same as managing the wage budget though. Our issue is that we have bought too many old players like Sanchez, prolonged with Fella, etc. Our wage budget is blown up as a balloon. Thats what is hampering us in the transfer market now. And thats on Mourinho.

steakpie

He should be sacked on the decision to give Mourinho a new contract. That was atrocious.

SER19

Anyone still thinking this guy hasnt massively damaged the club in the last 5 years is absolutely unquestionably deluded

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Mourinho is not going to sack himself.
I can't believe this cnut. What the feck is he waiting for? I'm so mad right now.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Takes a lot of the blame alongside Mourinho. It's hindsight now but that extension was a huge mistake, not backing a manager like Mourinho is foolish and not having any control of his behaviour is also pretty weak. Letting the manager have his say over bringing in a DoF is also a huge mistake, one that still has not fixed. That's besides the silly wages, huge unearned contract extensions and much more.

Not sure how much of the blame he takes really, but he's the current public figure of the board and he seems to have a huge say on football matters, which is an issue considering his lack of knowledge of the game. It does seem like he needs help, but I'm not if Ed is getting the right advice or just ignoring it.

In saying all that, it only takes a good manager to make him look good again.

Djemba-Djemba

In the Summer Woodward refused to back Mourinho which meant he had to sack him there and then.

Once you have a chief exec starting to question and undermine the manager, it's a recipe for disaster and it was clear as early as July that this season was going to be a complete mess. Mourinho was in full on sulk toxic meltdown and we looked inept in every pre season game.

Woodward effectively told Mourinho I don't trust your judgement is what's best for Man Utd, but I'm not going to sack you.

It's appalling negligence and an utter shambles.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
In the Summer Woodward refused to back Mourinho which meant he had to sack him there and then.

Once you have a chief exec starting to question and undermine the manager, it's a recipe for disaster and it was clear as early as July that this season was going to be a complete mess. Mourinho was in full on sulk toxic meltdown and we looked inept in every pre season game.

Woodward effectively told Mourinho I don't trust your judgement is what's best for Man Utd, but I'm not going to sack you.

It's appalling negligence and an utter shambles.
Refused to back him keeps getting peddled, he bought him 2 first team players in Fred and Dalot.

Yes he didn't pay 70m+ for Maguire or Alderweireld, but TBH who in their right mind would? It would have been sheer lunacy.

Maguire isn't worth that, Alderweireld while talented is injury prone and hasn't got a big contract left. He had to make a decision, and IMO it was the right one.

Spend that money on Koulibaly or another similarly talented player.

reddaz71

Southampton just turned Arsenal over after having the courage to make a change, Woodward should take a leaf out of Southamptons book and show some decisiveness but we all know how utterly out of his depth he is regarding the football decisions, he is actually more culpable than Mourinho!

Djemba-Djemba

Refused to back him keeps getting peddled, he bought him 2 first team players in Fred and Dalot.

Yes he didn't pay 70m+ for Maguire or Alderweireld, but TBH who in their right mind would? It would have been sheer lunacy.

Maguire isn't worth that, Alderweireld while talented is injury prone and hasn't got a big contract left. He had to make a decision, and IMO it was the right one.

Spend that money on Koulibaly or another similarly talented player.
I'm not saying Woodward refusing to buy Maguire for £70m was wrong, I agree with Woodward on that!

I'm saying once he started to ignore what Mourinho wanted be it signings or selling Martial and Pogba, which is what Mourinho was rumoured to want, then the next step was to realise Jose wasn't the right man for the job.

Woodward clearly lost trust in the summer with Morinho's judgement, he should have sacked him in the summer.

vangagal

This was kind of incoherent and based on a lot of factually incorrect assumptions. I will just reply to one:
There is no factual support to the claim that Mourinho was not "backed" during the summer.
If you dont count the fact that the Board might have refused to grant an even bigger raise to our wage budget which the Sanchez acquisition led to it being the biggest in the PL. Bigger than the mighty Citeh.
I argue that Mourinho is pretty much completely free to do as he pleases with our squad as long as he stays within the wage budget.
To get just one of the two players whose names has been thrown around: Koulibaly and Aldeweireld it would have meant having to get rid of Rojo, Jones and Darmian just to clear room for wages. Then you have to add pretty relevant stuff as the players wanting to come and/or move. And then you would have to get two new players on additional wages.
When Woodward referred to Varane he was probably just making the simple point that this club is always prepared to invest in young and world class talent. Which our record proves with the purchases of Pogba and Lukaku.
Investing in players on the transfer market is not the same as managing the wage budget though. Our issue is that we have bought too many old players like Sanchez, prolonged with Fella, etc. Our wage budget is blown up as a balloon. Thats what is hampering us in the transfer market now. And thats on Mourinho.
Your point is more incoherent.
Jose asked for a defender and he didnt get one. He said his target was 4 or 5 but only got 2 i think (Dalot, Fred), 3 with Sanchez in winter before.
He was backed with Fred yes, but when he asked defender he didnt get one. Whats the part of didnt get a defender dont accur to you? He was backed and he wasnt. That was the part of half arsed approach i said before. It served United no good.
Then just bought him instead. Adelweireld cost about 60 but we backed off because his age. Just buy Varane if you said he was worthed it. Jose get defender, we get a talented world class young player, isnt that aligned with invested in youth that you said so?
Second bold, too many old players? Mind to list old players who Jose bought apart from Matic and Sanchez?

Status
Not open for further replies.