Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

astracrazy

Andy Mitten knows the club really well so his quote about experienced DoFs being told "no thanks" is really worrying. As for Darren Fletcher - it might as well be Darren Ferguson. It's like saying I've driven a car for 30+ years so I can immediately become head of a driving school of even Minister for Transport. We need someone who knows how to do the job, not someone who knows the club, we've already taken the risk of appointing a manager on those grounds. If we want to further highlight the gap between us and City then you need to look no further than the gap between Txiki and Darren Fletcher
To be fair you could, ministers normally have 0 experience in any role. Chancellors don't even need to of been accountants etc.

I don't get this Darren Fletcher thing, I don't see one thing which would give him the right to have any say on our transfer policy. He hasn't even coached has he?

I just don't understand why we are so against bringing in a world class DOF who is qualified for the role, it just make zero sense.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
To be fair you could, ministers normally have 0 experience in any role. Chancellors don't even need to of been accountants etc.

I don't get this Darren Fletcher thing, I don't see one thing which would give him the right to have any say on our transfer policy. He hasn't even coached has he?

I just don't understand why we are so against bringing in a world class DOF who is qualified for the role, it just make zero sense.
Given the way the club is run these days, zero sense is the go-to policy... and I did wonder about that politician thing after I posted!

Fosu-Mens

Biggest problem with appointing someone with no experience is the importance of contacts(agents, clubs and good relationships..) in a recruitementrole and the time such a person would need to become fully operational(in a time where we are hopefully undergoing some major changes with the squad).
Other elements such as experience in negotiating, whats fair value, how to build a squad, what factors are the most important for a player to make him most likely to succeed at your club etc can be mitigated to some degree if said person is intelligent and have common sense.

Roboc7

We’re not recruiting for a DOF that’s why it’s going to be Fletcher. The club don’t want someone to come and start taking over responsibility which is what the top guy would do. They want someone to just offer another opinion, if we appointed someone like Monchi he’d be gone within months because he’d be wasting his time.

pascell

We're setting up a committee which has been said plenty of times. One person won't be allowed to have too much control as its sub optimal, you hire the wrong person and you're still fecked.

The hire will sit on the committee
That's the way I see it too, we can't give the job to only one person as there's too much to take on. With a committee approach it's more structured, not only just on transfers but the youth setup benefits also as Butt will put names forward he feels are ready to make the step up, this gives a clearer path to the first team for our youth players.

Our scouting range will also benefit with a committee approach, their findings will be listened to by a full committee, not just Ed Woodward. For all we know, in the past unearthed gems will have been put forward to Ed but vetoed straight away as they're not a marquee name, this will change as our transfer strategy will change also, everyone will benefit from it as the plan and structure will be more clearer.

roseguy64

That's the way I see it too, we can't give the job to only one person as there's too much to take on. With a committee approach it's more structured, not only just on transfers but the youth setup benefits also as Butt will put names forward he feels are ready to make the step up, this gives a clearer path to the first team for our youth players.

Our scouting range will also benefit with a committee approach, their findings will be listened to by a full committee, not just Ed Woodward. For all we know, in the past unearthed gems will have been put forward to Ed but vetoed straight away as they're not a marquee name, this will change as our transfer strategy will change also, everyone will benefit from it as the plan and structure will be more clearer.
Why would the scouts report to Woodward when it's been clear that the managers have been very involved in the transfers?

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It’s slowly sinking in. There is only one answer and it’s no DOF or a lapdog of the lapdog. Woodward, please feck off.

tombombadil

I would say the problems with hiring based on sentimental values are more than just skill/knowledge. It's also about network. A good DoF MUST have a good network.

A good network of scouts to find him good players and whisper in his ear if a good player becomes available.

Good relationship with agents, especially super agents, as they control the majority of the good players.

Whoever comes into the role of Director of Football or Technical Director or whatever they want to call it, this person must fulfill both these criteria. Understanding football as well as the squad we have and how to balance it is simply not enough.

tombombadil

And from all the rumors that are leaking out of the club, we are going for a committee approach to recruitment as opposed to having one man with all the power.

The problem is that a committee approach typically is a clusterfeck of compromises.

However, if we gave all the power to one person, it would be an even bigger disaster if we gave it to the wrong person.

It's a difficult compromise, really. I don't know what to think right now.

MrSingh2002

Rightly or wrongly Rio Ferdinand and Van Der Sar are the only ones that interest me.

VDS was always going to be working in football after his playing days. Sharp on and off the pitch with a wealth of experience in the game.

Rio for me would be the one. A savvy guy who knows what it takes to reach the very top but still behaved and still continues to be quite humble somehow.

Rio seems to me to have a very high emotional intelligence and I'd trust him to filter through prospective players and know who could make the grade here. I'm sure there's more to the role than just choosing players but if the next 10 players we sign are anything like him or the players he played with at United we'll be in a better place.

Rios worth a shot. Classy guy.

Fosu-Mens

So the narrative changed from "we are going to perform a thorough process to identify the ideal DoF candidate" to "we are going to appoint someone with knowledge of the club to have a role on a transfer committee."

Moriarty

So the narrative changed from "we are going to perform a thorough process to identify the ideal DoF candidate" to "we are going to appoint someone with knowledge of the club to have a role on a transfer committee."
I wonder who will chair said committee? Answers on the back of a tenner please.

Tincanalley

The Glazers thought that Woodward, because he was English, knew all about Soccerfootball. Who needs a DoF. Doh!

Moiraine

And from all the rumors that are leaking out of the club, we are going for a committee approach to recruitment as opposed to having one man with all the power.

The problem is that a committee approach typically is a clusterfeck of compromises.

However, if we gave all the power to one person, it would be an even bigger disaster if we gave it to the wrong person.

Can you elaborate the likely scenario in that case ?
(For understanding of dumb people like me)

JK-27

Why would any real DoF want to join Utd? Why would they think Woodward would listen to them when he's already proven to not listen to the very managers he employs, despite those managers being some of the most successful managers of all time? Also, Woodward has a tragic history of constantly changing plans, why would any DoF wan to come in and put a 5 year plan together to rebuild the team when Woodward hasn't managed to stick with any plan beyond a few months.

crossy1686

career ending

We already have a committee as it is. We've got head scouts from when Fergie was there and Van Gaal brought his in as well. These two get sent off to scout the managers targets and come back reporting whether or not they're good enough to play for United.

We had a situation last season where they both came back and one informed Woodward that the player was good enough, and one informed him the player wasn't good enough, which led to a total impasse and more scouts had to be involved bringing the total number up to about 6 different people all deciding on if the club should buy a player the manager wanted.

Our DoF is just probably going to be the third person in all this and the organiser, I doubt they'll even get the final say.

Tincanalley

One thing is, the likes of Woodward are very sensitive to public opinion and to social media. They feel they can influence the narrative, but they also fear the tide turning. Keep that in mind.

George The Best

One way out of this impasse would be to split the ‘business’ into 2 separate companies, such as Man Utd FC (the football operation) and Man Utd Commercial. Ed can be CEO of the commercial company and keep doing what he does best. The Football company would be run by Football knowledgeable people, but their budget would be driven by the success of the Commercial operation. That way Ed saves face by being seen as the driving force for growing the Football budget, but at the same time, has nothing to do with football related matters.

yo@Kirk

Until Ed Woodward is replaced, the club will continue to be a non factor in the PL race and CL. Edwin van der Sar has both the commercial experience and football experience to do Woodward's job the way it needs to be done. Spend money where it will do the most good and hire VDS to replace Woodward.

tombombadil

Can you elaborate the likely scenario in that case ?
(For understanding of dumb people like me)
Imagine making a soup. and we have 2 chefs. One thinks it needs a lot more salt. The other thinks it needs a lot more pepper. So they compromise and put only a bit of salt and only a bit of pepper. So we end up with a half baked soup that is neither salty enough nor spicy enough.

Now imagine if we have up to 6 representatives in the committee and they decide by votes. Can you imagine that?

We already have a committee as it is. We've got head scouts from when Fergie was there and Van Gaal brought his in as well. These two get sent off to scout the managers targets and come back reporting whether or not they're good enough to play for United.

We had a situation last season where they both came back and one informed Woodward that the player was good enough, and one informed him the player wasn't good enough, which led to a total impasse and more scouts had to be involved bringing the total number up to about 6 different people all deciding on if the club should buy a player the manager wanted.

Our DoF is just probably going to be the third person in all this and the organiser, I doubt they'll even get the final say.
Agreed. It is likely the end result we will get is we will have whatever we have today, plus an additional director to own the process. Not the decision.

One thing is, the likes of Woodward are very sensitive to public opinion and to social media. They feel they can influence the narrative, but they also fear the tide turning. Keep that in mind.
Agreed. Woodward is a politician.

Hawks2008

Mitten knows a thing or two.. Woodward will not relinquish control. It seems very much an ego thing.
Depressing stuff, this club has so little ambition it's pitiful. Woodward is killing us.

red thru&thru

This really is Ed's last chance with the fans...I hope. He gets this decision wrong, he really should be on the way out.

Patrick08

Mitten knows a thing or two.. Woodward will not relinquish control. It seems very much an ego thing.
Window has started, yet here man united is still discussing what is the structure going to be. Classic Woodward. Pathetic.

So it's down to ole and Woodward to get it right, and the Inflation will again kick in knowing how desperate we are. How pathetic can you be as a ceo?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think that I mentioned it earlier in the thread but Lyon started their search for a DOF earlier than United and only found their man this week in Juninho.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Andy Mitten has been peddling doom even before Ferguson retired. It had something to do with United revoking his press pass. I would not take anything he says at face value.

GBBQ

I think that I mentioned it earlier in the thread but Lyon started their search for a DOF earlier than United and only found their man this week in Juninho.
Arsenal and Chelsea both are taking a long time in getting their roles filled as well.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The fecking state of them to appoint an ex-player as the DOF.

deleon

Woodward has shown that the club is willing to spend money on players (paying over the odds even). His problems have been (1) agreeing on the transfer targets and (2) securing them.

As far as the first problem goes, I think Woodward has so far only questioned a manager's transfer decisions in Mourinho's final season (and Perisic from the previous summer). The interference is obviously not ideal, but in hindsight, Mourinho's transfer policy probably did not have the club's long term interest at heart. Why the club hired a coach known for only caring about the short term but then does not fully commit to that philosophy is a different debate.

Having a committee-style oversight could at least prevent this. Woodward would be given a discussed reason why a transfer target should be acquired, and that should make it harder for him to overrule identified talents (and give him plausible deniability if they turn out to disappointing).

As for the second problem, having a committee that understands the United way will not improve our transfer negotiations. There might be some indirect benefits from being able to identify weak areas and possible targets ahead of time (if that is even true), but it just doesn't compare with having someone with the right experience and connections.

Having said this, a more ingrained transfer committee would place a higher value on players' personality and mentality. We've had a lot of talented players falling short of expectations in recent years, so it's an idea that cannot be easily dismissed.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Woodward isn't going to give up control willingly. Glazers won't take it off him without serious pressure.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Knowing the club (which is a somewhat vague concept in itself - it could mean different things, really) probably won't hurt, and may even be an advantage in some respects.

I don't see why a DoF would have to "know United", though. Employ someone else to lay out the course, ex players, people who "know the club" - and then hire an expert to carry out the scheme.

But then again, we aren't actually hiring a DoF, it seems - but something else. Perhaps this "something else" role requires someone who "knows the club". We can hope (that Ed knows what the feck he's doing, that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.