Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dove

Woodward isn't going to give up control willingly. Glazers won't take it off him without serious pressure.
Well, what's the point of CEO if he has no control? CEO must have control over everything but he should have a good team around him to help him make the decisions in the areas he lacks skills/knowledge in.

podurban2

I would say the problems with hiring based on sentimental values are more than just skill/knowledge. It's also about network. A good DoF MUST have a good network.

A good network of scouts to find him good players and whisper in his ear if a good player becomes available.

Good relationship with agents, especially super agents, as they control the majority of the good players.

Whoever comes into the role of Director of Football or Technical Director or whatever they want to call it, this person must fulfill both these criteria. Understanding football as well as the squad we have and how to balance it is simply not enough.
I’m sure Darren knows a few Sunday league coaches.

Revaulx

Andy Mitten has been peddling doom even before Ferguson retired. It had something to do with United revoking his press pass. I would not take anything he says at face value.
Well it could be argued that our present woes have their origins before Ferguson retired. And it could also be argued that not having a press pass gives him greater freedom to be objective than the “accredited” journos, whose careers would be over if they lost theirs.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Well, what's the point of CEO if he has no control? CEO must have control over everything but he should have a good team around him to help him make the decisions in the areas he lacks skills/knowledge in.
That misses the point. The 'maximise short term profit' business model gives you a very different looking club to a 'win stuff as a priority' business model. Woodward is very good at the former but would be a liability if the aim of the Glazers were the latter.

MadMike

The brand will attract players. FFS. :annoyed:
When our only attraction is the salaries that we pay and the exposure that players get to flog their own brands. Not a place for players to further their footballing careers (or win things) anymore.

What have we become :lol:

Infra-red

It's way too late for a DOF to be involved in this summer's transfers. We might get an appoint soon but they'll likely only take control in August
Most reports seem to be suggesting the formation of a 'transfer committee' of some sort. I don't think there will be a DoF per se, but rather an ex-player essentially thrown into the mix with the existing scouts/Woodward/Ole.

As you say, it will be too late to have any impact on this summer's business now anyway.

Mainoldo

When our only attraction is the salaries that we pay and the exposure that players get to flog their own brands. Not a place for players to further their footballing careers (or win things) anymore.

Get with the times. Football is a big brand world wide. Atleast we can still bolster being one of the biggest. Our stoke everywhere else has fallen.

Fluctuation0161

If it was only a players agent talking like this in isolation I could understand. But this is the language our club communicates in now. From the top down.

Hard to see a way back for the club under the current owners.

podurban2

:lol:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So Chelsea seem to be hiring Cech as per Sky. Lyon has hired Juninho. Arsenal are closing in on Edu. All in the roles of DOF or Sporting director.

I can sense a pattern developing here.

MUFC OK

So Chelsea seem to be hiring Cech as per Sky. Lyon has hired Juninho. Arsenal are closing in on Edu. All in the roles of DOF or Sporting director.

I can sense a pattern developing here.
No outrage there though, unlike if we were to appoint Fletcher. Personally I’d like Paul Mitchell but I’ve been saying that for 2 years and the Glazers will want to keep Woodward as deficit as he ‘knows the score’.

MUFC OK

The most Woody thing possible would be to waste time for the next six weeks haggling with Championship teams and then deciding to appoint a DoF in July
I concur. Don’t say that in the Daniel James thread though, you’ll be slated, called a pleb and accused of knowing nothing about business.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I’m inclined to believe that Darren Fletcher has secretly been put in place, as Dan James and Nathan Collins have both been put forward by Fletch - May be he’s a part of the committee

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Depressing stuff, this club has so little ambition it's pitiful. Woodward is killing us.
It has ambition to increase revenues, decrease expenditure and increase profits. 4th place in should allow us to realise this. And if the manager fails to achieve 4th place - he'll be rewarded with the sack.

This really is Ed's last chance with the fans...I hope. He gets this decision wrong, he really should be on the way out.
It's not the last chance. Fans will keep accepting the mediocrity on the pitch, just as they have been for 7 years.
While Woodward is in charge of footballing matters, we will continue to finish 4th-6th. Some fans have deluded themselves into believing that we can finish higher. Woodward won't allow that. He'll ensure that the players he buys are just good enough (in his opinion), that we achieve 4th place.
When Jose got 2nd place, Woodie realised that our squad was perhaps too good, so decided to be very frugal last Summer. I think even Woodie was taken aback with the fact that we managed to get 2nd with that squad.

I don't want to hear that we signed a Championship player, Messi, Neymar or whoever. Because none of these players will take us to the next level. The only way to get to the next level is for Woodie to be demoted and removed from footballing decisions.

Irrational.

We've had over 6 months to find the best person for the role, shoehorning an inexperienced Darren Fletcher into a role is the best we can do.

We could not be run any more poorly.

Rafeeq RSA

Is this reported anywhere else? This is the Sun , why would they get any inside info....

NWRed

Sounds great in theory, assuming Bout, Butt and Ole are in there too. 5 ex players who know what it takes to suceed at United and know the type of player we should be getting. Hopefully they will have a real say and it won't just be giving a list to Woodward just for him to ignore them and pointlessly chase Neymar or whoever.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I don't get how the Glazers benefit from this. Its not like they're not investing large amounts to money.

What they're doing is spending blindly, then reinvesting to fix the mistake with the first investment.

It's so wasteful to spend such large sums without knowing anything about the field you're in.

Eventually the brand value will go down, it has to.

pascell

I’m inclined to believe that Darren Fletcher has secretly been put in place, as Dan James and Nathan Collins have both been put forward by Fletch - May be he’s a part of the committee
It was either the spoofex guy or the other 'itk' on reddit but one said that Fletcher was a 'guest' at the last committee meeting.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I don't get how the Glazers benefit from this. Its not like they're not investing large amounts to money.

What they're doing is spending blindly, then reinvesting to fix the mistake with the first investment.

It's so wasteful to spend such large sums without knowing anything about the field you're in.

Eventually the brand value will go down, it has to.
They've never invested in the club before. They just leave a bit of club-generated money for re-investment after bleeding it dry. Believe they've invested around £1bn less than me and you.

cheeky_backheel

Mourinho has never worked with a DoF and he is the reason we cant hire a DoF. We need to fire Mourinho so that we can hire a DoF.!!!

Water Melon

I am all for having a proper transfer committee, but only a proper one. One that consists of top-class professionals, who can identify the best and most suitable talent out there and bring it to Manchester United. I am not sure if Fletcher, Fortune and Butty are of that caliber, I bloody hope so, if the news are true.

Dong Fangzhuo

I am all for having a proper transfer committee, but only a proper one. One that consists of top-class professionals, who can identify the best and most suitable talent out there and bring it to Manchester United. I am not sure if Fletcher, Fortune and Butty are of that caliber, I bloody hope so, if the news are true.
Fortune is coming in as a coach according to that report.

Status
Not open for further replies.