Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infra-red

Taken from Grand Old team forum

Season 17/18
  • Davy Klaassen-£23,600,000
  • Jordan Pickford-£25,000,000
  • Nathangelo Markelo-undisclosed
  • Michael Keane-£25,000,000
  • Sandro-£5,200,000
  • Henry Onyekuru-£7,000,000
  • Wayne Rooney-Free
  • Josh Bowler-£1,500,000
  • Lewis Gibson-£6,000,000
  • Nikola Vlašić-£10,000,000
  • Boris Mathis-Free
  • Cuco Martina-Free
  • Gylfi Sigurdsson-£45,000,000
  • Dennis Adeniran-undisclosed
  • Theo Walcott-£20,000,000
  • Cenk Tosun-£27,000,000
Season 16/17
  • Maarten Stekelenburg-£1,000,000
  • Idrissa Gueye-£7,100,000
  • Ashley Williams-£12,000,000
  • Yannick Bolasie-£25,000,000
  • Ademola Lookman-£7,500,000
  • Morgan Schneiderlin-£24,000,000

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/steve-walsh-with-the-benefit-of-hindsight.107101/
Walsh was awful at Everton. He set us back years. A good scout maybe but no Director of Football.
Marcel Brands was our first choice then and I wish we hadve waited on him.

Signing loads of players for the same position: Rooney, Klaassen and Sigurdsson. £80m right there plus around 350k a week in wages.
How were all 3 meant to play in the same position...

Signing Sandro on £120,000 a week wages. We’ve loaned him everywhere since and can’t give him away. He’ll be here till the last second of his contract is up.

£25m for Bolasie on huge wages. Again we can’t give him away.
Tosun..Walcott...

The 2/3 signings we got right when he was here were Gueye, Pickford and Sigurdsson.

We thought his success at Leicester would have been good for us too but no.
There was no strategy to the signings at all.
In other words, United need to absolutely avoid Steve Walsh like the plague.

Rolaholic

Who the feck is Ed Woodward to think he knows better than Fergie?

Get that clown far away from any important football related decision making

Matst1

But do you not think there were different circumstances at Everton which lead him to scattergun these signings? Like they told him you have x amount of time to fill these positions. I'd hope at United there would be a clear, constructive process in place and for him to work closely with Fletcher and people like Butt but most importantly, give him time.

el3mel

How can such a man appoint a Dof and force himself to lose control when he's enjoying making decision in whatever thing he likes even if he knows nothing in it ?

passing-wind

Getting sick and tired of this nonsense, give it to an ex-player who was successful here Ferdinand, Butt or Fletcher. We are miles behind, Solskjaer is content with the current structure because he's being given the reigns to decide targets.

This is a big problem because inevitably (as it stands) when Ole is sacked the new manager can deem whoever we purchase surplus to requirements. The club needs to break this cycle not change the personnel concerning the existing failing structure. I was certain this would have been addressed when Phelan announced his stay because it was the only aspect keeping him from commitment. We are now under three weeks away from pre season and nothings changed.

What an absolute disgrace

AshRK

Does anybody sit back and reflect on what a bizarrely run club we are?
The worst run top club. It's also funny how Woodward has stopped giving bs statements that he used to 2 or 3 years ago. "Watch this space" crap. He is an incompetent CEO who is lucky that Glazers will never fire him. In any other top organisation he would have been fired multiple times.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Fergie has reccomended him in a consultancy role allegedly, but Woodward doesn't like the idea and I agree with Woodward on this.

It's no surprise the usual suspects have come out to bash Woodward over something that looks like he is correct about, due to Walsh's utter failure at Everton.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Who the feck is Ed Woodward to think he knows better than Fergie?

Get that clown far away from any important football related decision making
The guy in question did a very shit job at Everton, why would we want him? Ed is right to reject that idea.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Why doesn't Ed interview young Cryuff? He does at least know our club.

astracrazy

With respect im not sure if we need another Fergie recommendation. Id rather we just get the best person we possible can for the job instead of getting someone just because Fergie recommended. It didnt work well last time.

red thru&thru

Amazing how stories are coming out that Saf and Ed are at loggerheads about this.

Is this the start of trying to oust Ed?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Amazing how stories are coming out that Saf and Ed are at loggerheads about this.

Is this the start of trying to oust Ed?
Been hearing quite a few stories over the years that they don't like each other and have their own respective "camps" of people on their sides. Makes me wonder if that played a part in SAF's decision to retire around the same time as Gill's departure.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Steve Walsh would be worse than Woodward. We need to stay well fecking clear.

nameischarles

They've had all the time in the world to hire one and get this rolling before the season ended, whatever internal politics Ed and the board has with not hiring or making a decision on one. I'm sure this will resurface again once the season goes in disarray.

Cloud7

So we have first hand evidence and accounts from people that know better than us that this Walsh person is an awful candidate for a DOF, yet the first reaction of many is to bash woody. Can’t even say I’m surprised.

deafepl

So we have first hand evidence and accounts from people that know better than us that this Walsh person is an awful candidate for a DOF, yet the first reaction of many is to bash woody. Can’t even say I’m surprised.
Just watch, if we become one of the best team in Europe in the next 3 years. They'll be kissing Woodward's arses. Liverpool fans were pissing off about their DOF and the owners and calling for them to get out especially in the early 2017/18 season. City was running poorly with more talents they struggle to get best out from until Pep's second season, all of sudden they are a best-run club in the world.

Cloud7

Just watch, if we become one of the best team in Europe in the next 3 years. They'll be kissing Woodward's arses. Liverpool fans were pissing off about their DOF and the owners and calling for them to get out especially in the early 2017/18 season. City was running poorly with more talents they struggle to get best out from until Pep's second season, all of sudden they are a best-run club in the world.

We will always blame someones for our failure. When we're successful, we don't have anybody to blame.
Don’t get me wrong, I am very much of the opinion that we need a DOF, but I disagree with the common consensus on here that literally anyone besides woody would do a good job of it.

Added to that I would be very wary of appointing someone simply on Sir Alex’ recommendation.

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
We are a third into the transfer window and we are still trying to figure out a set up that will help us with the summer recruitment?

Yeah.. this is going to be fun.
It is all deliberate, they (the Glazers) need Ed in control. Ed is their puppet and just does as they say. I am sure they are very happy with him, hence why is still the CEO.

Infra-red

This appears (assuming the story is true) to be one of those rare occasions where Woodward has got something right. Walsh presided over one of the worst transfer stratagies ever conceived, while at Everton - he would have been a disasterous appointment as our DOF and Woodward was right to reject the idea.

Eddy_JukeZ

All due respect to SAF, I don't think he should be recommending anyone.

I want him to enjoy life and his good health.

A complete disaster were we to appoint Walsh now. In June. During the transfer window.

Hopefully a silly rumor.

Status
Not open for further replies.