Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

passing-wind

Ole is also contributing to this problem by saying he's content with the structure of the club. The issue with this mentality is if Solskjaer gets sacked and the next manager deems our recent purchases surplus we are stuck in an elongated transition because of shortsightedness. Amazing that Manchester United is such a global commodity commercially but the purpose of the club (to excel at football) is run by a bunch of idiots.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Raiola talking more sense than Woodward. Every Tom, Dick and Harry knows we need a Football director who can take and make footballing decisions but Woody has other plans.
It's not Woodward that is the problem. It's infact the Glazers. The owners are the ones who are letting things fester and Raiola has quite rightly pointed the finger straight at them.

alexthelion

Ole is also contributing to this problem by saying he's content with the structure of the club. The issue with this mentality is if Solskjaer gets sacked and the next manager deems our recent purchases surplus we are stuck in an elongated transition because of shortsightedness. Amazing that Manchester United is such a global commodity commercially but the purpose of the club (to excel at football) is run by a bunch of idiots.
Where has Ole said that?

Varun1

@Adnan - I just want to say that I appreciate your argument for/against Jordi/Mitchell as DoF. Tbh I was leaving towards PM until you explained it clearly.

meamth

I genuinely believe we don't need a DOF, looking at Everton and West Ham.

It can work, but I don't think we should follow.

What we should follow is the Moneyball strategy.

Someone new as a chief scout to recommend Ole players based on datas by updated wyscout and scouts. It can be managed.

DOF is still a 50/50 risk for success..imo.

doriandun

Raiola talking more sense than Woodward. Every Tom, Dick and Harry knows we need a Football director who can take and make footballing decisions but Woody has other plans.
Rialoa could of said this comment any time, why choose to release it days after his client recieves bad press for posting himself dancing at his brothers wedding, more like misdirection.

Rolaholic

The Athletic noted recently that it's been almost 18 months since the club first briefed the press that they were looking into hiring a DOF and yet here we are in 2020 with literally zero new developments on that front...

Hard not to feel like the rot at the club might be permanent ala AC Milan

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Mail is quoting Sun. I know Sun is shit newspaper but does anyone have any idea how credible the Journalist who wrote this piece is? Also Ed Woodward did take a trip to Lille if I am not mistaken?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Tabloids can't be trusted on anything. Just wait and see what happens. Personally I will be upset if we appoint a DOF because that means it's more likely Glazers n Ed are probably staying put.

We need a fresh start. It's got to the stage Liverpool got with H&G now. The club is toxic. It's never getting back to where it was until there is a big change.

nainaisson

Mail is quoting Sun. I know Sun is shit newspaper but does anyone have any idea how credible the Journalist who wrote this piece is? Also Ed Woodward did take a trip to Lille if I am not mistaken?
According to what I've read here, he's a middling journalist who breaks nothing of significance.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Get the DOF in once the club is sold. Getting one now is too little too late and I'm convinced it would only fail anyway.

We won't win another league title under the Glazers. I still stand by that statement.

The Athletic noted recently that it's been almost 18 months since the club first briefed the press that they were looking into hiring a DOF and yet here we are in 2020 with literally zero new developments on that front...

Hard not to feel like the rot at the club might be permanent ala AC Milan
The club were clearly convinced by the footballing members of the board (SAF, Gill) to put it on ice and try bringing in people who know the club instead (Ole, Phelan). I've no idea who then decided on the transfer committee, I'd imagine SAF was against it so more likely Ed and co.

As for the AC Milan comparison, I'd say they are a perfect example of not expecting a DoF to fix everything.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
DOF wanted. Must be good listener. Not too good-looking. Must be able to play piano, and know the rules of soccerfootball. Needs to be able to stand back and let others take credit. And needs to take instructions from their betters without moaning or rolling eyes to heaven.

MonkeysMagic

Woodward's search for a DoF is a bit like the search for habitable planets in the universe...we know there are plenty of candidates out there, we are just not likely to ever get close to them!!

wolvored

Get the DOF in once the club is sold. Getting one now is too little too late and I'm convinced it would only fail anyway.

We won't win another league title under the Glazers. I still stand by that statement.
I agree. We will get further and further away from winning it, until the structure at the top is changed, or they sell up.

Flying high

I actually think there's a fair chance this will happen soon.

Ed will be desperate for a fall guy by now. Just needs to find someone gullible enough to take the job, yet plausible enough to get a few of the fans off his back.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Bullshit feck off Ed you played this card so many times, should be ashamed of himself prick
Whenever we screw up in the transfer market or about to screw up, Woodward uses the DoF card.
And the crazy thing is that some fans believe it.
How many times does someone have to be lied to before they realise they are being lied to.

It is possible that DoF story is being wheeled out, in anticipation of a major spanking which we may receive tonight.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I actually think there's a fair chance this will happen soon.

Ed will be desperate for a fall guy by now. Just needs to find someone gullible enough to take the job, yet plausible enough to get a few of the fans off his back.
Ole would be the obvious candidate but if that happens I think it would go to show how far we've actually fallen.

Status
Not open for further replies.