Man Utd set to appoint Director of Football (when hell freezes over)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yeah, Mitten wrote about this in an article a while back. Can’t br arsed to dig it out, but yeah.
So what is the point? We don't need another mouthpiece and penpusher, we need direction regarding the team, not where we can get more money from.

DomesticTadpole

from Woodys perspective: does it? Superstars create attention/sell jerseys. -> Club makes money.
The shirt sponsor makes money from us selling shirts. We have had the money already. Yes a superstar player might get more sponsors and keep us in the headlines, but so does playing attractive football, staying in the CL and winning trophies.

Sparky Rhiwabon

With a club the size of United, isn't it likely to be someone with significant DoF experience? I.e. A DoF currently at another (big) club?

Red_toad

Who would suit the role?

We could have all the flashy names like Beckham, Cantona, Rio, Scholes..etc but would they have a clue? Personally I find Gary Neville to be very insightful.
442 and the ‘United way’ inbound...

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
With a club the size of United, isn't it likely to be someone with significant DoF experience? I.e. A DoF currently at another (big) club?
DOFs don't move much and even less when they are in a big club, so in general you get the number two or someone who is doing a great job at a "smaller" club like Antero Henrique, Berta, Monchi and people like that.

haram

So what is the point? We don't need another mouthpiece and penpusher, we need direction regarding the team, not where we can get more money from.
Perhaps they will have input in terms of the youth football structure, nature of signings in regards to the long term (age, mentality).

City had their DOF before Pep got there right? He has more power than Pellegrini did for example. The football isn’t the same either. DOF isn’t going to sign players Pep doesn’t want for the first team.

The squad that Fergie left for example had some aging players. Evra, Carrick, Rooney, Rio, Vidic etc. DOF might look to remedy any sort of transitions between squads better. Of course SAF handled the transition between his different squads very well, but the problem came after he left. Mourinho is rebuilding the squad but there has to be continuity regardless of if he is the manager in 2 years or not.

DomesticTadpole

DOFs don't move much and even less when they are in a big club, so in general you get the number two or someone who is doing a great job at a "smaller" club like Antero Henrique, Berta, Monchi and people like that.
Maybe they are even thinking more along the line of someone who played for United and understands the club. That could lead to clashes with the manager, as what the fans want and Jose is providing is dividing opinion at the moment. Jose doesn't seem to have good relationship with DOF at his former clubs, so if we do get one they are going to need to be careful who they chose, unless as has been mentioned they might be thinking more towards a future manager.

Kapardin

Point about Lindelof is kind of weak. It implies DOF cannot sign the wrong players as well. Not saying that Victor is a failure, he deserves another season, but still.
He isn't a failure yet, but when we bought potential in Bailly, we needed a proven CB to pair him with and also guide the rest. Smalling is not good enough to guide them obviously. Lindelof just adds to our set of good/potentially good but inconsistent CBs.

We could have just bought a RB instead.

DoF can sign duds occasionally, but it is not good that one person (the manager) calls all the shots. Two heads are better than one if they can work well together. We need some continuity after Mourinho's tenure.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
442 and the ‘United way’ inbound...
There's really nothing wrong with this approach in theory. We're not Barcelona, and we're not City who need to basically plagiarise them. We have our own identity and DNA and what ultimately matters is how these come to be expressed on the pitch, for which we need consistent and coherent quality recruitment. I'd truly welcome the arrival of someone competent who understands the type of player and managerial profile that fits our club, it doesn't have to mean 4-4-2 and wingers (which is in any case a caricature of our Fergie sides), it's a more general idea of what is expected at the club.

haram

He isn't a failure yet, but when we bought potential in Bailly, we needed a proven CB to pair him with and also guide the rest. Smalling is not good enough to guide them obviously. Lindelof just adds to our set of good/potentially good but inconsistent CBs.

We could have just bought a RB instead.
I think those are some fair points, I understand what you mean.

I like the idea of bringing in a DOF, Woodward doesn't fill me with much confidence with the footballing side of things at the club. I do feel Jose will leave the squad in a much better shape than he found it. But we need that continuity in our transfer dealings going forward, we can't be having a transfer window like we had with LVG again. The amount of money he wasted is enough to bring a tear to your eye. If a DOF will help us to have more clarity and direction in our signings and help us plan for the future I'm all for it.

Reactions: Penna

Skills

Snitch
I think it is a very good move. But he has to have the authority to overule Mourinho and Woodward in transfer dealings also.
Pretty sure that's not how it works. Woodward is the CEO - the guy with the actual money in his hands, who signs the cheque off. Nobody is really overuling him apart from the owners.

DomesticTadpole

Perhaps they will have input in terms of the youth football structure, nature of signings in regards to the long term (age, mentality).

City had their DOF before Pep got there right? He has more power than Pellegrini did for example. The football isn’t the same either. DOF isn’t going to sign players Pep doesn’t want for the first team.

The squad that Fergie left for example had some aging players. Evra, Carrick, Rooney, Rio, Vidic etc. DOF might look to remedy any sort of transitions between squads better. Of course SAF handled the transition between his different squads very well, but the problem came after he left. Mourinho is rebuilding the squad but there has to be continuity regardless of if he is the manager in 2 years or not.
There's really nothing wrong with this approach in theory. We're not Barcelona, and we're not City who need to basically plagiarise them. We have our own identity and DNA and what ultimately matters is how these come to be expressed on the pitch, for which we need consistent and coherent quality recruitment. I'd truly welcome the arrival of someone competent who understands the type of player and managerial profile that fits our club.
I agree that we should be recruiting players that fit the history of this club and how it has always played, with adjustments to fit in with the modern game, but what if that does not fit with how Jose sees it? He seems to want hard workers who are physical and fast, while I would like hard workers but who have skill, speed and flair. Probably not that different, but the style of play seems miles apart.

DomesticTadpole

Yes the DOF at City was there for a while but they knew they were getting Pep and he was getting players that suited Pep.

Skills

Snitch
Also why do people have this impression that Woodward draws up the transfer list? It's one of the stupidest myths repeated here.

E.g. we were never seriously linked to him up until Mourinho was about to take charge. Pogba was in fact constantly linked to Chelsea to Mourinhos tenure there, and then when he left and came here we got in the race.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Spurs being our feeder club again? Alexander and Britain both came from there? Or worked there before. Small club really.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
It'll be interesting to see what exactly this DoF will be doing.

United manager Jose Mourinho previously worked with Internazionale technical director Marco Brancaa, a general director at Real Madrid in Jorge Valdano and technical director Michael Emenalo at Chelsea.

Because he didn't want to work with Valdano for long at all.

"The pair fell out after Valdano queried Mourinho's request for another striker as cover for the injured Gonzalo Higuain earlier in the season."

"Mourinho demanded an autonomy on the sporting side like that which works with English clubs. I think for the sake of the institution that this is a reorganisation that has to be done."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/13553663

Bestietom

Pretty sure that's not how it works. Woodward is the CEO - the guy with the actual money in his hands, who signs the cheque off. Nobody is really overuling him apart from the owners.
Maybe this is why they want to take a closer look at things. The extraordinary wages is an instance, and this can upset the dressing room. Sanchez only came to us because of the wages we were willing to pay him.
Another fact is, We did not really need him so who sanctioned it. All this could be controlled by a DOF if his job credentials and duties were all agreed to, by all concerned. That includes Manager's CEO and whoever else is involved.

The DOF should mean for whole club, Academy, Under 23's, and the direction for the future.

SirAF

Ageist
Maybe this is why they want to take a closer look at things. The extraordinary wages is an instance, and this can upset the dressing room. Sanchez only came to us because of the wages we were willing to pay him. Another fact is, We did not really need him so who sanctioned it. All this could be controlled by a DOF if his job credentials and juties were all agreed to by all concerned. That includes Manager's CEO and whoever else is involved.

The DOF should mean for whole club, Academy, Under 23's, and the direction for the future.
Look, I'm not totally against a DoF structure - but you can't have someone who can overrule Woodward. He's the chief executive of the club and answers only to the Glazer family - that's pretty obvious.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Gaz would be perfect. It has to be someone who knows the club to preserve the traditional thinking of the club at the same time I think he is very smart and knows what is needed. He's been critical of United and that means he wants us to do much better than now. For me DoF is the most needed when a new manager is hired and I think he would really make his homework and made us sign someone progressive/young wouldn't be against signing Pochettino for instance.. Think he would appoint Carrick as a U23 coach or someone fresh and younger than Scabria to match well with McKenna and the first team, influenced the growth of our own players, pushed for scouting and also signing the best young players in the country too. He seems like a man who has a big insight and knows what's going on in our country and beyond with football, if only he wanted to do the job and we would offer to him

DomesticTadpole

Gaz would be perfect. It has to be someone who knows the club to preserve the traditional thinking of the club at the same time I think he is very smart and knows what is needed. He's been critical of United and that means he wants us to do much better than now. For me DoF is the most needed when a new manager is hired and I think he would really make his homework and made us sign someone progressive/young wouldn't be against signing Pochettino for instance.. Think he would appoint Carrick as a U23 coach or someone fresh and younger than Scabria to match well with McKenna and the first team, influenced the growth of our own players, pushed for scouting and also signing the best young players in the country too. He seems like a man who has a big insight and knows what's going on in our country and beyond with football, if only he wanted to do the job and we would offer to him
From the article I posted above, sound like it will just be someone to book the coaches and train tickets.

Donut

We were supposed to get like three of them already in the past few years and it never materializes.

DomesticTadpole

That's Bolingbroke's former role, there is something fishy about these reports.
We might just have to wait for an appointment and the club to define what their role is. I hope as I said it is not just a misleading name being given to a existing job.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We might just have to wait for an appointment and the club to define what their role is. I hope as I said it is not just a misleading name being given to a existing job.
http://www.inter.it/en/news/46013
At Manchester United, Bolingbroke was responsible for ticketing, hospitality, match and non-matchday operations, club secretarial functions, property management and corporate services including finance, human resources, legal and information technology. He was also a board member of MUTV, the club’s TV channel, and a trustee on the Board of the Club’s Pension Fund. In addition, Bolingbroke was on the Board of Manchester United Limited’s joint venture partnership with Nike. He was also Chairman of the Club’s charitable Foundation.
That's a COO not a DOF.

SirAF

Ageist
Actually, scratch that - that wasn't the article. What I was thinking of was a piece that Mitten wrote exclusively for the scandi supporter's club before Christmas.

The article was in Norwegian, so I'll translate the most important parts. I doubt I'm allowed to translate and post the entire article.

United are going to hire a DoF, but before you think that this is going to be a person that will be central to transfer decisions - think again. The new appointment will have no influence on transfer policy.

Former club secretary John Alexander always had more than enough on his plate (Before this Mitten talks about Alexander's role), so his job will be divided into three positions.

-One person will have the responsability for everything that concerns paperwork, logistics, travel arrangements as well as the academy.

- Then there will be appointed a new secretary of football (Rebecca Britain, I assume) who will be responsible for co-ordinating with the Premer League, the different competitions United enter, rules, fines etc.

- The third appointment will be an academy sectretary who will have the same responsabilites as the secretary of football - only at academy level.
Sorry for the quick work, I didn't want to spend too much time on it. Anyway, there we go!

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If what Mitten says is true, we clearly aren't hiring a DOF in any normal sense of the word. In fact, it seems odd enough that he'd use that term at all (which he does, both in the ESPN piece and in the translated piece above).

The three-way split of Alexander's old role makes sense, and is probably a good thing in itself, but – again – we're not talking about a DOF here.

Mourinho doesn't want one – that has been stated several times – and hiring even a “DOF light” of some kind, who could take on a more hands-on role after Mourinho leaves, doesn't seem very likely unless the club is actively trying to piss off the manager.

LoneStar

Disappointing to read that it's not going to be a traditional DoF as that's something we desperately need. This idea of having the manager be the omniscient force at a club only works when said manger stays at the club for the long haul; for over a decade or more (a la Fergie or Wenger etc.). But that really doesn't happen anymore. It's ok to suggest that a manger should have complete control of signings (he should have some agency of course), but what happens when he leaves in 2-3 years and we have another manager with other ideas and other preferred players?

We need some direction and plan here. It's been one of the main reasons for our slight downfall since fergie left.
Get managers who can continue the work of their predecessors, instead of opting for managers with opposite ideologies.

Tbf, Jose has signed players who are pretty versatile tactically. The only question mark would be over Lukaku, and even he has improved his link up play significantly Sine joining.

haram

I agree that we should be recruiting players that fit the history of this club and how it has always played, with adjustments to fit in with the modern game, but what if that does not fit with how Jose sees it? He seems to want hard workers who are physical and fast, while I would like hard workers but who have skill, speed and flair. Probably not that different, but the style of play seems miles apart.
It really isn’t that different. Someone like Perisic for example is more of a traditional winger. Is that any different from SAF signing Valencia?

SirAF

Ageist
If what Mitten says is true, we clearly aren't hiring a DOF in any normal sense of the word. In fact, it seems odd enough that he'd use that term at all (which he does, both in the ESPN piece and in the translated piece above).

The three-way split of Alexander's old role makes sense, and is probably a good thing in itself, but – again – we're not talking about a DOF here.

Mourinho doesn't want one – that has been stated several times – and hiring even a “DOF light” of some kind, who could take on a more hands-on role after Mourinho leaves, doesn't seem very likely unless the club is actively trying to piss off the manager.
Woodward also said this when Mitten asked him about a "real" DoF:

We don't have a DoF since we trust the manager to make the right decisions. We don't want a manager here for only two or three years. We have a desire for the next generation to see that the manager leaves his own legacy here - therefore we think it is only right that he makes the decisons on scouting, the academy etc.

If a scout recommends a brilliant right back, or a coach recommends a right back from our own academy we want the manager to make that call. He's in charge, he's the football expert so he makes the decisions while I do the negotiations. I've been working with negotiating my whole career so that's something I'm comfortable with.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Get managers who can continue the work of their predecessors, instead of opting for managers with opposite ideologies.

Tbf, Jose has signed players who are pretty versatile tactically. The only question mark would be over Lukaku, and even he has improved his link up play significantly Sine joining.
Well yeah, that's the point I'm making about hiring a DoF. That would be part of their job. That's something we've lacked since fergie left.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Do you have any idea how clueless that makes you sound? It's indicative of someone who thinks being a football manager is a videogame.

Being a manager of men, of being a motivator and of being able to foster a team spirit... that's totally different from understanding tactics and being able to assess talent. You can be brilliant at one side of it, but terrible at the other. Obviously, that isn't reflected on FM2018, but in the real world it's crucial.

Regardless of whether he's the right man for this job or not, Neville has a very good football mind.
What does football manager has to do with my 4 word post? Do you know how clueless it is to suggest a person as DOF simply because he speaks well on Sky and knows how to tap on an IPAD?

Last edited:

el3mel

Good decision but the impact of it will depend on who are we getting for that position and how he'll work. Just getting a DOF won't solve everything. We need someone who proved success at another club even if it's a smaller one and has good eyes for talents and what the team needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.